Fallen Starlight: Chapter 2
292 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been four weeks since Geoff’s mentor, who belatedly introduced herself as Hanya Lara, began coaching Geoff on how to wield the divine power of Leowynn. Coupled with the research material available online, he was quickly making progress with his training. Already he could activate the lesser blessings of Leowynn without using much focus.

Hanya let out a sigh as she lowered the sphere after checking his new level. “Forty-three… it looks like you won’t be in the training phase for much longer, Geoff.” She said with a bright smile, to which Geoff nodded his head.

“Mhm.” Geoff answered simply, looking down at his hands. Even now, he was channeling the power of Leowynn to create motes of starlight over his palms. “I need to thank you. If you hadn’t been here to train me, it would have gone a lot slower.”

Hanya laughed at that, shaking her head. “Oh, it’s nothing like that! You shouldn’t underestimate yourself so much. After all, it’s your own efforts that have brought you this far. All I did was give you a few pointers here and there.”

Geoff looked back at the elven woman and nodded his head. In truth, Hanya had been with him every step of the way, supporting him and answering any questions that he had been faced with. Without her support, he believed it would take him at least twice as long to reach the same level of progress, if not more.

“So, have you thought about what you want to do next?” Hanya asked, crossing her arms behind her back while looking down at the shorter boy. “Your next level check will be in a week, but it won’t take you nearly that long to hit your goal. Are you going to keep training afterwards, or..?”

“I think I’d like to take a mission.” Geoff said simply, glancing towards his terminal sitting on the nearby desk. “I need to put these abilities through practical trials, right?”

Hanya blinked, but offered a small nod. “I suppose. Once you’ve hit your level goal, it would definitely be a good idea to get some real experience.”

“No, I mean… I’d like to take a mission now, if that’s okay? I came here because I want to help people, but so far all I’ve really done is sit in my room and train while reading scriptures. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of the help you’ve given me, but… what is the purpose of this power if not to help those in need?”

Hanya hesitated for a moment, before her smile broke out even wider. “Hmm, I suppose you’re right. Then, have you been looking at the missions to have one in mind?”

There was a regular list of missions available on the church’s private website. Naturally, with his convictions, Geoff had studied that list. “I think… if it’s okay, I would like to take an escort mission.”

“Escort?” Hanya asked in surprise, eyes wide. “I didn’t even know there was an escort mission posted right now.” As she said that, she retrieved her own terminal to access the website. Escort missions were particularly rare, typically involving guiding someone to a dungeon or other dangerous area. When traveling between cities, it was far more common to use the gates posted within each city.

“Mhm. They’re going for the Siren’s Song dungeon, and are looking for a guide who knows the area. The territory is rather low level, and the job doesn’t require the guide to enter the dungeon, so it’s within the level range that I can accept.”

“That’s… true.” Hanya nodded her head after finding the mission listed. “Escorting a party of six. They’re specifically looking for a Priest of Leowynn to take the mission? Ah, it’s a group of demons, that makes sense.” As demons were a nocturnal race, it was more common for them to interact with the church of Leowynn, who was often associated with the night. “Are you sure that this is the mission that you want?”

Geoff nodded his head in response. “I’ve been to the area before to train my archery skills. I even almost entered the dungeon before an emissary appeared from within to warn me away. She said that I wasn’t strong enough to challenge her dungeon, and didn’t want to see me hurt needlessly.”

“She, huh?” For some reason, Hanya puffed her cheeks out at that. “And? What kind of emissary was she?”

Geoff didn’t notice the change in her tone, looking upwards as he recalled the memory. “She was really beautiful… her skin was a gentle, pale blue, and her eyes seemed to be misty jewels. She wore a frosty veil, but had fins on her arms and legs. When she spoke, I felt like I might get bewitched by her voice. I guess that’s why it’s called the Siren’s Song. Ever since the first round of dungeon wars, it hasn’t had a master hold it for more than a few years, right?”

Hanya’s back straightened, her eyes going wide as she listened to Geoff explaining his encounter. “Y-Yeah, that’s right.” She nodded, her face red. “In that case… let me go tell the Bishop that you’ll be taking this mission.”

After saying that, Hanya turned to leave the room, all but storming off. Geoff glanced at the door in confusion, not sure why she was so upset. Maybe she was just worried for his safety? This would be his first time leaving the church since his arrival, so he could understand that.

The answer to his question came later, when he had packed a few necessary supplies within his storage device. After getting himself ready, he set out to leave the church, pausing at the sight of Hanya waiting for him. “You didn’t need to see me off.” He told her, looking at the sun setting in the distance. “I should be back by morning, you know?”

“I’m not seeing you off, I’m going with you.” She said with her usual smile, causing Geoff to tilt his head. “As your mentor, I have to make sure that nothing happens to my trainee.”

Geoff could tell that there was more to why she was joining him than that, but felt that her excuse did make sense. If the training priests lost their lives on their first missions, then it would be hard for the church to continue functioning. “Anyways, the clients should be here soon, right?” She looked around as she asked that, seeing a party of six demons walking towards the church.

All six were males of various builds, one carrying a sword and shield while another held a staff. As for the other four, their weapons weren’t immediately visible, implying that they were either martial artists or keeping their weapons in storage for now. Regardless, they approached the pair, the man wielding the sword and shield looking at the two with a touch of confusion on his face. “I thought that there was only going to be a single priest?”

Geoff wanted to nod his head in agreement, but Hanya simply smiled. “Geoff here will be your guide tonight. Although this is his first mission as a priest, he is familiar with the area you are wanting to visit. I am his mentor, and will be accompanying him to evaluate his performance and ensure his protection. I hope that’s not a problem?”

The demon hesitated briefly, before shaking his head. “As long as we don’t have to pay extra. It’s already pricey enough to hire one guide as it is.”

“Not to worry, sir! The Starry Night church is not one to make others suffer a loss. I am joining completely of my own volition, so there is no reason for your group to pay anything more than the agreed-on price.”

The man nodded in relief at that. “In that case, young priest, we will be in your hands.” Although his words weren’t exactly respectful, he was sincere with them. It was hard to expect much of a young priest who was on his very first mission. Thankfully, they weren’t asking for him as a fighter.

“I understand.” Geoff didn’t seem bothered by the man’s words, clasping his hands together. “May starlight guide our way.” After saying that, he turned and began walking, the night sky beginning to darken above them.

In truth, Geoff’s vision in the dark wasn’t anything special. Without the light of the stars guiding him, he would be forced to amplify his vision with ki or mana, or manipulate natural energy to create a torch’s light. Thankfully for him, his prayer was more than just a simple wish for good fortune, the light of the stars illuminating the area around them without making it uncomfortable for the demons that they were escorting.

Under Geoff’s lead, the group left the city, making their way off the beaten track and through a nearby forest. Although there were monsters along the way, they were swiftly dealt with by the party’s warrior. With the other members not needing to reveal their weapons.

By the time that they arrived at the dungeon, barely two hours had passed. Hanya had been walking along casually the entire time, only faintly paying attention to those around her. Her real purpose in all of this had been to come and see the emissary of the dungeon, should it choose to reveal itself again.

The dungeon entrance itself looked like a cave resting at the edge of the water. However, instead of going into a nearby hill, it was a tunnel heading downwards into an area beneath the sea. Those who had made it back from the dungeon reported a large number of aquatic monsters, as well as those focusing on sonic abilities, earning the dungeon its name. Lately, though, she had found that there were less and less people returning alive after entering the dungeon.

To her, this seemed quite suspicious, and she had to wonder if this was a rogue dungeon, one that operated with the intent of killing any who entered. Given Geoff’s earlier story, it was hard to believe, but there were too many disappearances that could be linked to this dungeon.

“If that’s all, I believe our job ends here.” Hanya said with a professional smile, the dungeon in full view. They hadn’t asked for a round trip, nor for their guide to enter the dungeon. Thus, strictly speaking, there was no longer any reason for them to linger.

“Hmm, you can go.” The sword-wielding demon nodded casually. “Sankt, get everything ready.” At his words, the caster of the group nodded his head, striking the ground twice with his staff. Daggers appeared within the hands of the four previously unarmed individuals, and they gripped them with a practiced ease.

“Everything’s ready.” The caster said, before letting out a light snicker. “We should be able to claim this dungeon as ours today.”

After saying that, the party of six began walking towards the dungeon’s entrance, Geoff and Hanya lingering until well after they had vanished. “We had better go, Geoff…” Hanya said, her voice unusually soft. “We won’t be seeing them again.”

“What do you mean?” Geoff asked, turning to look at Hanya in confusion. “You can’t be certain that they won’t defeat the dungeon, can you?”

Hanya gave a somewhat bitter smile, pointing to the top of the cave that the group had just walked in. “You should have learned the dungeon’s script by now, so what does that say?”

Geoff lifted his brow curiously, turning to look at the message. “It says… Beware?” Geoff wasn’t sure why the dungeon was giving a warning like that, but he didn’t remember the text being there on his last trip.

“Close… it says ‘You’re in danger’.” Hanya corrected. “The dungeon wrote that message on its passage just now, as we were approaching. Did you sense anything wrong about our clients?”

Geoff thought about it for a long moment, before shaking his head. “The only one that talked until just now was the warrior, and none of the others did any fighting. From the weapons they pulled out at the end, they should be a party of a warrior, mage, and four rogues. It’s an odd party composition, but there are stranger combinations out there than that.”

Hanya gave a small smile, shaking her head as well. “I didn’t say anything because they were watching me, but there were only actually two members of the party. At first, I thought that the caster might be a puppeteer controlling lifelike puppets, but it seems he was a necromancer. Isn’t that right, Siren’s Song?” Hanya lifted her head slightly to look at the dungeon, and Geoff could see the same figure he had seen during his last visit standing there.

“That’s correct, young maiden.” The blue-skinned woman spoke softly. “I am glad that you came to no harm in bringing them here. From my brothers, I received word that this group was on their way, so I have been preparing to deal with them. It is fortunate that you had not entered with them. I do not enjoy taking lives needlessly.”

Hanya kept her eyes staring straight at the woman, able to assume her identity as the dungeon’s core. “If that’s the case… why have so many people gone missing after coming here?”

The woman blinked in surprise, looking between both Hanya and Geoff. “I’m… not sure what you are talking about. While I have had challengers recently, the only ones who have fallen by my hand are either criminals such as these who kill their own kin to make minions, or those who refuse to surrender when faced with challenges beyond their power. I assure you that I have made every effort to spare those that I can. Ah, uhm… perhaps you may give me an example? If I know the context, I might be able to provide a more complete answer.”

Hanya lifted a brow, but retrieved her terminal to look at the information she had only recently been researching. “Thirteen days ago, there was a party of two individuals, a man and a woman. After entering your dungeon, they have never been seen again.”

“Thirteen days… oh!” There was a slight flush that made the dungeon core’s cheeks seem even more alluring. “I am… aware of the incident that you are talking about. I assure you that the pair left in… quite good health. After reaching the limit of what they could handle, I appeared before them to advise that they leave. They were very… passionate about their experience, and asked that I allow the two to be wed within my halls.”

“The morning after the ceremony, they asked me to send them to one of my brothers, hoping to experience a more scenic area following their union. Ever since I enhanced this avatar with my understanding of aeons, such situations have become fairly common. I admit, there have been times when people lose their wits in my presence, and seek to attack me. For those individuals, I am afraid that it is as you say.”

Hanya’s brow twitched as she listened to the dungeon’s explanation. “So… your dungeon has become an unofficial wedding venue?” She asked, being… delicate about her phrasing, as it seemed that Geoff didn’t quite understand what they were talking about.

“That’s correct.” The avatar nodded. “Is this a problem? I’ve begun working on adding various types of rings to my treasure selection to encourage people to find happiness here, but I didn’t expect others on the outside to see it as me killing my challengers.”

“Wait-wait-wait, there’s still something that I don’t understand.” Hanya shook her head quickly, waving her arms to stop the avatar. “Why don’t you have a dungeon master? I know there have been some that have conquered this dungeon, but they all retire quickly, or… are retired.”

“That question I can answer more easily.” The dungeon avatar said with a smile. “I encourage my masters to find love wherever it may be. Personally, I do not enjoy being bound to someone and carried around like some of my brothers, so I don’t offer a remote dungeon core. If someone conquers my trials, they will be my dungeon master while here, and I will try to abide by their wishes while they are away. But without the remote core, there are few benefits to having me as one’s dungeon.”

“In truth, even this body was designed by my previous dungeon master.” She said, one hand gliding over her figure in demonstration. “He said that an interface like this would give people a reason to return. However, he found love himself in the form of a traveler that attempted my trials while he was here.”

“As I recall, that was about the time I last saw you, young man.” She turned her attention to Geoff, her smile growing wider. “I am pleased to see how much you’ve grown. At this rate, you may be able to conquer my trials in the near future, as well.”

Hanya’s eye twitched, and she clasped a hand on Geoff’s shoulder, causing him to look between the two. “I’m training him to the best of my ability. As a priest of the Goddess Leowynn, I doubt he will have reason to become a dungeon master.”

The avatar tilted her head, before a look of realization came over her face. “Ah, I see. I hope he succeeds in his training, then. If you are from the church, perhaps you would like to take back some of the rings that I have been creating? For research purposes, of course. You must be sure that I am true to my word.”

Hanya stiffened at that, her entire face going red. “W-Why would we need that? I mean… I suppose it could be useful. For research, right…” Her hand on Geoff’s shoulder was twitching, and he could practically hear her heart pounding behind him. At this point, he knew that there was more to their conversation than what he had initially perceived, and began piecing things together. His eyes widened slightly at the realization of why Hanya had been acting so strange lately.

The dungeon core giggled lightly, the sound like the ringing of bells. “In that case, consider this a present from me.” She extended her hand, and two beams of light shot out from it, landing in Hanya’s free hand. When she looked, she saw a pair of rings with vibrant blue gems. “I do believe the young man has understood some things, so I will leave the two of you alone to talk it over. I wish you the best of luck, young maiden.”

14