Chapter 3—Meeting
56 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Breakfast ended uneventful.

By the time the last remaining dishes were cleaned up, the sun had already rose high above the sky, beating down on the humid coastlines. A long stretch of beach, a sandy buffer between the delicate villa and the crashing waves, dazzles in the summer heat.

Staring at the sea of sparkles before him, Heise let out a long sigh. Sitting on the back porch, facing the endless blue horizon, he had just wanted some alone time to think, take a breather, and maybe enjoy the view. Unfortunately for Heise, not even the most uplifting scenery can lighten his heavy heart.

[So, he had lived well.]

A single thought, airy and fleeting, yet somehow manages to pierce into Heise’s heart, lodging there like a million ton.

[He had got all, money, comfort, a lover to fawn over. And what did I get? What exactly am I working so damn hard for…?]

[Well, it’s fine. The past is in the past. Can’t be help now. But the future, well…]

For fraction of a second, the handsome and youthful expression on the young man gazing at the sea morphs into an unspeakable force. Callous and malicious, perverse and cruel, an icy demon sat upon his frozen throne, threatening to swallow up the boundless ocean in front of him. 

“Enjoying the view?” a warm honeyed voice snapped Heise out of his stupor. Turning around, his sight landed on a certain ‘chef’.

Schooling in his thoughts, Heise let out one of his signature smiles, “What are you doing here, weren’t you accompanying Mr. Stomford?”

With a few long strides, Alvy walked towards where Heise was sitting. Pulling up a chair, he unceremoniously sat down directly besides the unsuspecting house guest. “Can’t I enjoy the view as well?”

Heise did not reply. Instead, he turned his gaze back to the sea. Although his expression was serene, his inner thoughts were rather conflicted. Truth be told, he detested ‘that man.’ It should be, therefore, quite reasonable that he should also hate everything and everyone that belonged to ‘that man.’ Yet, for some reason, he bodes no ill will against the person sitting next to him.

[Perhaps it’s that face,] Heise mused, [indeed, good-looking faces are harder to hate.]

Time passes as the two men sat in silence.

Slowly, the sun crept along the sky, rising high above their heads, before finally preparing for its descend.

“Ok, that’s enough sea-viewing for one day,” Alvy rises from his seat, his arms stretch lazily behind his back. “You should go back inside, lest you get sick. The ocean winds can be rather rough on city-dwellers.” Although Alvy’s words and tone remains polite, his last words seemed to carry a forceful emphasis, almost of a domineering nature.

“Uh yes, got it. Thanks.” Heise stammered out a few assents while glancing at the man’s departing back. He could sense something just now, a sort of compelling presence.

[Could I have imagined it?]

Shaking his head, Heise stood up and check his watch.

Heise: !!!

[1:29 PM?!! It’s that late already?!]

Hastily rearranging his clothes that was blown messily by the wind, Heise quickly went inside and made a beeline for the home office. He has an appointment with the master of the villa this afternoon, but it looks like he’s going to be late.

[How the hell did I forgot about the time? What am I even doing?]

Frustrated, Heise continues to silently berate himself along the way. He couldn’t believe that he had lost himself to the ocean’s beautiful view, not realizing that what he was actually lost in was the peace and comfort of a certain compelling presence…

 

 

 

*Knock Knock*

“Yes.” A soft voice sounded, barely audible pass the office doors.

*Click*

The carved wooden door slowly swung open, revealing a sharp and handsome youth, his face wears a thin slick smile. “I apologize for being late. Your home was filled with stunning sights, I simply forgot the time.” 

“Hm, it’s fine.” Unlike the sharpness of this morning, Vali’s response had reverted back to his usual nonchalant temperament. “Sit.”

Without any hesitation, Heise directly plop his butt down onto the soft sofa opposite of his host, eyes staring intently ahead. Generally speaking, Heise’s actions could be considered as rude, especially in the face of his supposed ‘client’ in their own home. Moreover, Heise was a person that particularly prioritizes propriety, insisting that a respectable self-image was vital to conducting business and success.

And yet, when facing this person…

Fortunately, contrary to Heise, Vali’s weigh on propriety was virtually non-existent, or rather, such useless things have been destroyed long ago.

Unfazed by Heise’s constant staring, Vali scoop up a dainty porcelain cup and filled it with a fragrant steaming liquid. “Chrysanthemum tea, very relaxing and healthy.” As Vali passed the tea over to Heise, their gazes connect. Suddenly, a dense silence blankets the room.

“…”

A bloody steel blade sheath in wool met with a soft cat-like paw with all its sharp claws retracted. Nobody got hurt, but who has the advantage has already been clear.

Reaching out to hold the cup with a smirk, Heise was the first one to break the silence, “Thank you. The tea looks lovely. Wherever did you find it?”

“…Alvy gave it to me.”

“Hm, is that so?” Despite the hot tea, Heise down the whole thing in one fell gulp before forcefully slamming the cup back down the table, nearing breaking it. “Delicious. Now, let’s get into the main reason I’m here. Let’s talk business.”

Vali did not response. His gaze drifted to the side.

“Mr. Stomford, regarding the beforementioned discussion we’d had, wherein you agreed to cooperate with our company in tandem to restore the fifteen abandoned community housing projects in the underprivileged areas of X country….”

For nearly twenty minutes, the so-called important ‘meeting’ between the two men consisted of an eloquent Heise, smoothly and professionally delivering his well-practiced speech, and a silent Vali, lazily listening in with the occasional yawn and indifferent glances. However, Heise did not seem at discourage, instead, taking the initiative to speak more boldly.

“Naturally, the restoration areas will include support from X government, particularly all the public projects. This includes five hospitals, five schools, four subsidized apartment complexes, and…”

Towards the end of his speech, Heise suddenly became hesitant. With his mouth agape, it took at least half a minute before the next words could come out, “…and…one orphanage in D province.”

*Creak*.

The sofa sounded as Vali straighten up, his silver hair sways softly behind his ears casting a gentle light in his eyes.

“That orphanage,” for the first time since the ‘meeting’ started, Vali spoke up. “Is it still there?”

“No,” from the moment he heard Vali’s question, a thread of darkness began creeping over Heise’s gaze, “it burns down 12 years ago. An accident.” There was no more explanation, and Vali did not question any further, they both understood what hadn’t been said.

[Don’t act like you want to know! Don’t act like you care! You don’t deserve to talk about them! You know damn well what happened, don’t you? Of course, you do, you’ve been keeping eyes on me all these times! After all, you were the one who reach out to me…]

The turbulence of emotions inside Heise quickly grew more and more violent, thrashing heavily against his heart. His body trembles at the sight of the man in front him, while his mind races to maintain what’s left of his rationality.

Heise closes his eyes, trying desperately to calm himself and the oppressive killing intent steadily oozing out of his body. His fists clenched tightly causing the burn areas from this morning’s incident to throb. Heise, however, had no mind to care. The pain on his hand was nothing compare to the rotten and festered hole all those years in his heart.

“I’m sorry.” A muffled voice sounded in the room, startling Heise. Though his eyes were close, Heise could feel the other man getting closer.

[Why? What stopping me from reaching out and grab his throat in my hands…so close…]

Contrary to his guest’s inner turmoil, Vali still had a calm expression. In an ever-gentle tone, he asked, “Why did you come here?”

Not expecting to hear such a question, Heise was momentarily stunned. He remained motionless for a few minutes before speaking. Having shed all pretense of business and cordiality, Heise’s words turns piercing and harsh.

“You asked me to come here, did you not? Or did you finally grow old and senile?”

“Yes, I was the one who asked,” leaning back in his seat, Vali took a sip of his now-lukewarm tea, ignoring the provocation. “Yet, that doesn’t mean you actually have to come. You came here seeking something. So? What is it that you really want?”

Heise’s eyes darken.

It was a single simple question.

A single simple question that could be answer by a single simple answer.

And yet, Heise felt his words overflowing.

[What do I want? What do I want, indeed…? I… What I want, you can never give me.]

“I came here…I came here…to find…you.”

“Why?”

Heise suddenly opens his eyes. A blood color seems to paint the entire world red.

“To make you pay.”

*Clack* The sound of a teacup touching the glass table rang out. Though it wasn't a very loud sound, it was enough to clearly cut through the swirling tension in the room.

Letting out a sigh, Vali straighten his back. Perched from the sofa behind a pair of long crossing legs, he exudes a dignified aura, completely masking his usual lazy demeanor. Two pairs of eyes locked straight at each other. “And what have I ever done to you?” 

At this point, unexpectedly, a sense of calm slowly wash over Heise, and the corner of his lips curved upward. Yes, this was the question he was waiting for. It's ashamed that he almost lost himself half way through, but, nonetheless, he had got here in the end. From now on, this game can finally start.

“You know well what you’ve done..." 

All it takes is for him to say that one magical word. 

"...Father.”

 

 

BTS Theatre

Vali: Why must keep pausing all the time?

Heise: ...Dramatic...Effect...

1