15: Magic Theory II
723 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finishing her explanation on the specializations, Rinte moved onto to the other parts of the Magic measurement test.

Seeing that Erina was ready to continue moving forward in the lesson, Rinte passed out the next handout before continuing, "So the next thing I am going to cover are the other aspects of the Magic test you take at twelve, beginning with the first one, Magic Power."

[AN: A Water jug is those things that they have at like sports games, like the thing where they pour the whole thing over someone at the end. Do you know what I'm talking about? Like it's kinda like a barrel, with a small little faucet on the side where the fluid comes out?]

Walking over to the side of the room where a water jug was, Rinte motioned for Erina to join her, "A good comparison for Magic Power is this water jug over here. So think of your magic power as the amount of water in this jug okay? So normally the more the better right?"

Nodding her head, Erina responded, "En! Yeah, the more Magic Power the better! Because then you can do more magic!"

Hearing Erina's response, Rinte chucked a little bit and answered, "Well not quite, see, when you only have a little bit of water in the jug it flows out slowly right? However, when you have a lot of water in the jug, the water comes out much faster, leading to spilling some of it sometimes right? Well, the same thing can be applied to Magic Power."

Looking a little confused, Erina asked, "U-um I don't get it..."

Patting Erina's head, Rinte continued, "Well I haven't explained it yet that's why. So the way it relates to Magic Power is control. That means if you only have a little Magic Power it's easy to control the output of the Magic, in other words, your spells. However, with a lot of Magic Power, it's easy to lose control, making your spells fizzle, or just explode on you."

"Explode!? How dangerous is that?" Cried Erina, suddenly very scared of doing magic.

Soothing Erina, Rinte replied, "Don't worry, the worst explosions leave you with just a few burns and a lot fewer clothes, however, it isn't life-threatening. So because of this lack of control, the more Magic Power a mage has, the more time they have to practice to control it."

Leading Erina back to her seat, Rinte returned to the center of the room where she brought up a video of a fight between two mages at a competition.

Full screening the video, Rinte gestured and explained, "This is a recording of a famous battle that took place during the Inter-School championships held between the 9 Magic academy cities. During this video, Contestant 39 shocked the entire audience by winning against the clear favorite Contestant 47. Observe okay Erina?"

-------------------------

(Start of Video Segment)

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! (Daniel)

WE ARE HERE TODAY FOR THE FIRST BATTLE IN THE QUARTER-FINALS OF THE BATTLING PORTION OF THE ANNUAL NINE SCHOOLS COMPETITION! (Robert)

Today our match is between contestants 39 and 47! Who do you think will win today Robert? (Daniel)

Thanks for asking me, Daniel, in my opinion, it's obvious that contestant number 47 will win today. If we just take a quick look at a comparison of the results of their Magic Measurement Tests you can easily see that contestant number 47 has an S level mana pool, while contestant number 39 only has a B minus level mana pool. (Robert)

Yeah, Robert, I have to say, so far contestant number 47 has shown overwhelming power in all of their matches, so I have to say, I don't think that contestant number 39 stands a chance. (Daniel)

I have to agree with you here Daniel, number 39 seems outmatched today. Well, they're walking on stage and getting ready for the battle, but who knows, maybe number 39 will stun us all and beat the crowd favorite, who knows? (Robert)

Not me Robert, but the battle is about to begin so we'll know shortly! Both contestants have shown they are ready... AND THEY ARE OFF! THE BATTLE BEGINS! (Daniel)

Yeah! So number 47 leads off with a long chain of weak spells, hoping to overwhelm number 39 with sheer numbers, but it seems like number 39 is unfazed! Long chains of weak spells are a common strategy employed due to the time it takes to transform a focus into the specialization! (Robert)

Number 39 certainly seems relaxed Robert! He enchanted himself with a speed boost spell and has been dodging each of the spells by a hairsbreadth! What a demonstration of skill! (Daniel)

It seems that contestant number 39 had taunted number 47 into losing control! I just saw several spells fizzle because number 47 lost control of them! (Robert)

Oh my God! Look at contestant number 39, he just deflected one of the higher-powered spells that had been casting for a while! He even managed to get closer while deflecting! He is closing the gap between them! (Daniel)

Yeah, it seems that number 39 is just waiting for a chance right now! He has a few spells that are done charging up! He just needs the right chance to release it! However, he needs to keep in mind that soon those spells will start dispersing! So the question is, will number 47 loose control, giving the win away? Or will he be able to keep up this pace of high powered spells raining down on number 39? (Robert)

Well said, Robert! So far number 39 has been faring well, but eventually, he will be hit by one, and when that happens it's all over for him. (Daniel)

All of a sudden a spell has blown in the face of number 47! It has disrupted all the spells that number 47 was casting! This is his chance! This is the chance that Number 39 needed! (Robert)

Number 39 has just released all of his pent up spells into 47's chest! AND number 47 has been blasted off the stage! (Daniel)

AND HE HAS WON! NUMBER 39, DEFYING ALL EXPECTATIONS! HE HAS SHOWN US A GREAT SHOW OF STRATEGY AND CONTROL! (Robert)

Yeah! He managed to hold his spells for an absurd amount of time under that pressure! (Daniel)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think that we have just witnessed history today! With an incredible show of control, contestant number 39 has just shown us an amazing feat! So join us again for the next match after this short Ad break! (Robert)

(End of Video Segment)

------------------------

Giving her undivided attention to the video in front of her, Erina was stupefied with what she saw. Once the video ended, her mouth was still hanging wide open. Originally, she would have thought that Contestant 47 would've won, but Contestant 39 managed to win, without even being hit once by a spell!

"Wow..." muttered Erina, still amazed by what she had seen, "I can see how control is important now... number 39 held his spell for a long time under the pressure from number 47..."

"Yes! In fact, Erina, when this battle first took place, many were stunned, and it took the world by storm." Rinte elaborated, handing Erina a cup of water, "Later on, because of this battle, Magic control was emphasized much more in school. So Erina, when you eventually become a magician, make sure to practice your control thoroughly, especially because you will have a lot of magic power."

Nodding fiercely, Erina replied, "En! I'll make sure to practice it a lot!"

Smiling while nodding, Rinte went back to the center of the room and continued,

"And the next topic we'll cover is the different Magic types."

I forgot to add the chapter number last time, but I fixed it now~

Thanks for reading~

26