21: An Incident
662 0 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(A Little Less Than 5 Years Later)

One summer afternoon, in the summer before Suzuki, was going to leave to enter the Magic Academy. Suzuki was 17 and had celebrated Erina's birthday just a week prior when she saw some very jarring news.

Running through the halls to tell everyone else in the family, Suzuki almost slipped around a corner before bursting into Erina's room where Miyuki and Erina were playing together.

Showing the video to Miyuki and Erina, Suzuki began explaining, "So recently there was a really big accident in a town not far from here. The accident happened because Shozu Nijima, one of the kids who took the test at the same time as me, lost control of his magic."

Having heard the stories of people losing control of their magic to let it run wild, Miyuki frowned stopped moving the plushies in her hands.

Sitting down, and picking up the stuffed rabbit Peach, Suzuki continued, "Since Shozu had a level 1 affinity for lava, his magic was already mature. So while on a trip to a nearby town, Shozu felt like he was being looked down upon. With his anger slowly building, Shozu eventually lost control of his magic, creating a giant firestorm raining bits and pieces of lava around him, causing immense damage to the town in the process of subduing him. After subduing him, Shozu was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit for burns all across his body."

[AN: Just want to remind you that level 1 affinity for lava means he has basic and lowest control over lava. That's why it was raining just a little lava in the firestorm, if Shozu had a level 5 affinity it would have been much worse, maybe like a lava storm or something.]

Gasping, Miyuki interjected, "It was that bad?! If he had burns across his whole body that must have been an extremely dire situation due to how your body develops a better natural resistance against the elements you have better affinities with!"

Squeezing Peach, Suzuki kept explaining, "Yeah it was a dire situation... His body is in such bad condition that even with the Yoshida family's newest healing device Shozu will be missing most of the first year at the Magic Academy. Furthermore, it's even worse at the town, or what remains of the town... 48 people died during the firestorm, with plenty more people missing. Luckily, most people in the city managed to evacuate, however, much of the city is now just a burnt-out husk of what the city used to be."

A little scared, Erina asked, "Is losing control of your magic common? If stuff like this happens a lot, I don't want to learn magic. I don't want to lose control of my magic... what if I kill someone?"

Letting Erina sit on her lap, Miyuki put Strawberry into Erina's arms while soothing her, "Don't worry about it okay? It'll be fine, I'm pretty sure I know what new changes will be implemented because of this event. Talks about it have been floating around for a while. Additionally, it's actually very hard to lose control of your magic, so as long as you practice your control you won't lose control of it."

Looking back at Suzuki, Miyuki asked, "So what is going to be changed, I'm sure something was decided, just what was it?"

Scrolling back through the article below the video, Suzuki responded, "The United Nations decided to create a new rule. The rule is that if you are tested and found to have a complex element, you are automatically enrolled in the United Nations-sponsored training division and will start going at age 14. Usually, if you are found to have Magic, you wait until 16 to start training magic at a Magic Academy. This rule was implemented because studies have shown that the magic of people who have complex elements will already be fully mature by the time that they are 14."

Thinking it over for a second, Miyuki poked Erina's cheeks while explaining, "So Erina~ what it means pretty much is that if you have powerful magic you will be enrolled in the United Nations-sponsored program. Don't worry about the credibility of the program, I have worked with the United Nations several times and they are very trustworthy. What you do need to worry about though is the people okay? Because You'll probably meet some pretty unsavory people there."

Still a bit shaken from the news, Erina replied, "Enn... Can you give me some more details?"

Reading the article, Suzuki paraphrased, "Well, it's going to take place on an aquatic base just off the coast of the Yin Kingdom, so it won't be that far. Furthermore, you will be provided dorms there, so you will be living there for 3 years. While living there you will also be attending normal classes to not fall behind in those. What else... what else... Okay, during the training program, students will be taught some basic spells along with martial arts. Additionally, all students will be going through rigorous training to improve their control over their magic."

Hearing Suzuki's explanation, Erina asked, "Mama, if it's just this, why didn't the United Nations implement it before?"

Pondering over for a bit, Miyuki replied, "Well, I've heard talks about implementing a system like this for a while now. The upper echelons didn't implement it because even though there have been several other cases of people losing control of their magic, never has there been one so destructive as this one. That and also because the United Nations gets its funding from the countries in the alliance... So because of this event with Shozu Nijima, it was probably the final push the United Nations needed to push for the funding from the nations to have a program such as this..."

Understanding why it only now that a system like this was created, Erina asked, "So Suzuki won't be going to this camp?"

Nodding, Suzuki confirmed, "Yeah I won't be going because I'm about to start attending the academy in the fall. So if you are found to have a complex element, you'll be the first person we know to go to the training camp."

Squeezing Strawberry, Erina sighed, "I want to go, because that means I have a complex element, but I also don't want to go because I don't want to leave home..."

Patting her on the back, Miyuki encouraged her with a supportive expression, "It'll be fine, I'm sure you'll be able to take care of yourself, so don't fret about it."

29