Chapter Two – Questions
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nkechi looked down the transparent floor of the hovercar, flying above villages and deserts and abandoned towns. The woman — who had introduced herself as Lucky — never flew above a forest, making a concerted effort to fly away from and around them.

“What’s wrong with the forests?” Nkechi asked.

“Oh nothing. They just don’t seem to like things flying above them.”

“They don’t like things flying above them?” Nkechi asked haltingly, “That seems odd.”

“Hmm? No, that’s not odd at all. Everyone knows the temperaments of forests. They can be either your salvation or destruction depending on who knows what. One day, you might be able to get food and vegetation without any opposition and then the next day, you could go to the same place and get swallowed by it.”

“Oh,” Nkechi replied with surprise. For some reason that felt wrong and unnatural, but it clearly wasn’t since Lucky was talking as if it was plain fact. “Is that common? People getting swallowed in the forest, that is what you meant, right? Are there dangerous creatures in there?”

“Are there…? Lucky replied and turned to look at Nkechi with bemusement, “The question should be aren’t there. But no, I meant by the forest. As in the forest consumes you. How do you not know this - oh yes the amnesia.” She turned back to look ahead while nodding patronisingly.

“Yes, the amnesia,” Nkechi said with indignation, “I’m not lying.”

“Well, you certainly aren’t if you don’t know that much about forests. I guess this is me educating you then. My advice for forests, avoid them. I know they are enticing with their rain and trees and free vegetation, but forests don’t fuck around.” A pause. “Or savannahs or marshlands. Basically, any place that is primarily occupied by nature, do not go there. Or if you do go there, go with an expert or be very very very prepared. Nature doesn’t like us.”

“Huh. Nature doesn’t—?” Nkechi began to ask but was cut off by Lucky.

“Oh, look at that; we’ve arrived. Harcourt. Biafra’s shining jewel. It’s a good city just not a garden one. But it’s not technology averse so we could actually find someone to help you understand what’s going on.”

“Sure…” Nkechi replied then mumbled, “I definitely know what all of that means.”

She wanted to ask more information and what Lucky meant by garden city but as she opened her mouth, she caught sight of Lucky’s annoyed look. She closed her lips in chagrin, realising that Lucky had become increasingly annoyed by the constant questions. Slightly embarrassed, she looked down through the transparent floor to see people with horses, camels and other beasts of burden entering the city. Occasionally, there were wheeled vehicles entering as well but most of them seemed to be for a large group of people and not the small private one she was in. She opened her mouth to ask before remembering Lucky’s expression and closed it again with a slight pout.

Lucky had been watching the entire process and although she had been annoyed at first became more amused and sympathetic as time went on. Although she had doubted Nkechi at first due to how rare amnesia was (she’d never heard anyone have it, it was just an old story plotline), she believed her now and it wasn’t her fault that she didn’t know anything. Besides, she was supposed to help the people. I’ll just see this as my good deed. Besides, she’s interesting.

“I know you want to ask me something. Just ask?”

“Okay,” Nkechi said, emboldened, “Why aren’t we joining them down there in the queue?”

“Because I have a hover. People who can fly or have flying machines are encouraged to use the upper entrance to the the upper city for all their needs leaving those who can’t to use the lower city. Just under half of the people who live in Harcourt live up there and a significant amount of people don’t touch the ground. That’s not very common but then again Harcourt is an uncommon city.”

“Huh, that’s interesting. Why and how?”

“Because nature doesn’t like humans. The fewer that touch the earth, the better for everyone. And as to how: hover boots and shoes and clothes that help you float. It’s even used by some people that live in the lower city. Not everyone though. It’s not free. Just one more thing to thank the Rover company for, I guess.”

“Wait back up. Nature doesn’t like humans? Nature has feelings now?” Nkechi said incredulously, “I know I’ve lost my memory but that is definitely ridiculous.”

“Oh, and you would know with your amnesia? Oh, I hope you weren’t one of those conspiracy theorists who think that all this destruction is caused by humans who are blaming it on nature. Everyone knows that if a place has too many humans, it gets destroyed. Often in an unnatural manner. I mean a town once got bulldozed by a blizzard and everyone died. This in West Africa. You don’t even see snow here so a blizzard? Yeah, that’s not the work of any human. And we would know if a magic user caused it. So, believe me when I say nature hates us and wants us all dead. All five billion of us. I get it we sucked; we almost brought this planet to destruction. But we’re better now, no one has made plastic for a century and yet the planet still hates us.” Lucky sighed after this diatribe while Nkechi looked at her in surprise at this outburst. “Oh, don’t worry about it though. We’ll survive and adapt. We have survived and adapted. It’s what we do best, us humans.”

“Yes. Uh huh. Okay,” Said Nkechi, still ruminating over the influx of information, “Just, you said if a place has too many humans it gets destroyed. But…doesn’t Harcourt have a lot of humans?”

“Oh, Harcourt’s safe. That’s what is great about. It’s magicked to protect against magical and natural attacks. It’s got runes and ideograms and inscriptions which all combine to be a solid defence against the supernatural and natural. See, uncommon.”

“Cool but—”

“Okay, I see where you’re going and while I love this enthusiasm, I need to prepare my details so that entering is as smooth as possible although it never is. Why don’t you take this helmet,” She said handing Nkechi a visor like object, “And ask Gospel to give you information on Harcourt.”

Nkechi stared at this device with suspicion before gingerly taking it out of Lucky’s hands.

“I promise it won’t bite,” Lucky said placatingly with a hint of humour, “It simply scans your brain and inserts whatever image or video is necessary. It’s safe, it works with all human brains, so I promise your amnesia won’t affect it.”

“Okay but what if I’m not human? You’re talking about the supernatural and magic. What if I’m all wrong because I’m not human?”

“I promise you, you’re a human with a human brain. Even if you weren’t, supernatural beings cannot manifest in the physical realm without human bodies so you would still be human even if you weren’t. But” —she added when she noticed Nkechi’s panic— “I know you’re human. Trust me, I would know. I used to be a priestess. Besides, Gospel scanned you as soon as you entered and there wasn’t any nonhuman energy so you’re fine. You’re fine. Any human, even a time travelling descendant or ancestor, could wear that, get information and nothing would happen.”

“Wait, time travel is real and what’s that about being a priestess,” Nkechi asked still gingerly touching the device. Frankly, she wasn’t extremely worried about her humanity, but she wasn’t a fan of something being inserted into her brain. However, she didn’t know how to say that without upsetting her kind host who had taken it upon herself to care for her, so she’d tried to start a new line of dialogue. She had expected Lucky to actually check her status, but it had already happened. And Lucky hadn’t told her? 

“No, time travel is not real. Time is a linear line under which we must suffer. And the priestess thing is over, so just. Don’t. Don’t ask. Now put it on. Please. So that you can get the information you need and stop asking me,” Lucky said with a smile but Nkechi knew she was not joking at all.

“Okay then,” Nkechi said, “Let’s take a plunge.” She put on the helmet before letting out a sound of surprise.

“Told you it didn’t hurt.”

“I can’t hear you,” Nkechi said in a sing-song manner.

Sure, you can, Lucky thought, I did ask Gospel to give you aural input.

But she did not say anything and soon they were near the floating checkpoints that let people into the upper city. The man manning the desk smiled at her.

“Good day,” He said in Hausa with an unnaturally bright smile on his face, “Welcome to Harcourt and we hope you enjoy our stay here. Just a few things before you proceed. Please ensure you’ve registered all weapons and devices in the city website and that you keep them out of public spaces. This includes cold, hot, magical or faith weapons. The use of weaponry in public spaces is a class A offence and will result in swift punishment by the city’s security devices. Further punishment could also be given after trial. Weaponry is only allowed to the general public in times of emergencies and to licensed operatives when dealing with threats to the city.”

“Seriously, Yusuf, I always wonder how you are able to repeat that spiel every single time with that smile on your face and that eerily excited intonation.”

“And I tell you every time Lucky, it’s Allah and coffee,” He said then chuckled, “I need some ID for you and your passenger.”

“Yeah yeah. I know, you never just take me at my word.”

“No, for all I know, you could be an asshole wearing Lucky’s skin.”

“Body—” She started to say before Yusuf interrupted her.

“‘Body possession is rare and impossible if the body isn’t dead already. And Yusuf you would know if I was a circler because my heart wouldn’t be beating so fast at seeing your fine face.’ I got it right, didn’t I? You’re always saying that. Still need to look at ID,” He said then looked at her information that appear on his helmet display, “You’re all clear as always. See didn’t take that long.”

“Thank you, Yusuf,” Lucky replied then tried to start her hover.

“Ah hold on. I still need some ID for your lady passenger.”

“Oh stop. Don’t be juvenile,” Lucky said jestingly, “We are not like that.” She turned to Nkechi who was engrossed in the helmet then poked her. “I know this is a long shot, but do you have any identification.”

“No,” Nkechi said after thinking for a while. “I don’t think I have anything that can serve as an ID,” She said taking off her helmet, “Is that a problem?”

“I’ll take care of it,” Lucky said then turned to Yusuf, “Sorry she doesn’t have anything.”

“Nothing? Well that’s rare. Where do you find these people, Lucky? You know what, I’ll help you out this time and scan for info but next time I’ll follow procedure,” Yusuf said before pointing a device in Nkechi’s direction.

Nkechi looked at Lucky but seeing the confidence in her expression settled herself and kept quiet. There was no need for a commotion if there wasn’t a problem.

“Thanks Yusuf. I really appreciate it,” Lucky said smiling at Yusuf who was looking increasingly perplexed at what he was seeing.

“Now that can’t be right,” Yusuf said.

“What’s the problem?”

“The system doesn’t recognise her.”

“Well now that’s impossible. Are you sure your device is okay?”

“Positive. We had a maintenance check yesterday and I switched between solar, electrical, and magical power just to make sure. She’s not in the database.”

“Maybe she’s in another town’s database?”

“Do you think I’m stupid, Lucky. I did a cross reference check and she’s not in the database of any African city which is ridiculous because it tells me her age, twenty- five and she share physical characteristics with the Igbos but apart from that, nothing. It’s as if your girl doesn’t exist. I’m sorry, Lucky, but I can’t let her in. We don’t know who she is.”

“Wait, I’m a Pay Forward deputy, I can back her up. She’s not threatening.”

“Are you invoking Pay Forward privileges?” Yusuf said narrowing his eyes.

Lucky paused for a second before making up her mind. “I guess I am. As regional PF deputy #000203 Lucky Lawal, I am invoking ancient Pay Forward privileges and asking you to give me and my companion entrance.”

“Fine, I can’t stop you, but the mayor will not be pleased. Dealing with Christabel Ofori will be all on you. I just hope she’s worth it.”

“She’s not dangerous but I need to get to the bottom of this.”

“Yep, you do that. And I will do my job. You may now go in Ms Lawal and company.”

“Come on Yusuf, don’t be like this.”

“Please enter the city so I can deal with the people behind you.”

“Fine I guess you’re just doing your job. I just thought we were friends,” She said and asked Gospel to move.

“By the way,” going to get temporary registration at the civics and an external connecting device Yusuf said, stopping Lucky in her tracks, “She doesn’t have any chips or embedments so she might find it difficult to use items in the city. I would advise. I don’t know what you are doing Lucky but Godspeed.”

“Inshallah and thank you,” Lucky replied and entered the city.

Yusuf turned away and sighed to himself before opening a panel on the wall and dialling a number.

“Afternoon, Mayor. I have news for you from the gate.”

2