Chapter 2: Hiking the rugged Miyukigahara Route
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Aoi's alarm clock rang exactly at 6am. After struggling to get out of bed, with pure determination, she set on her task to prepare the bento boxes for her hanami date with Hinata. Lacking some of the ingredients meant that she had to go on an early trip to the supermarket so she could make the perfect meal for their date. 

Just as she finished preparing the bento boxes, she noticed that she was going to run late to meet Hinata at the train station. "Oh no, I am gonna be so late!" She exclaimed and hastily packed the bento boxes in her backpack, along with water bottles and trail mix. Locking the door behind her, she set off running towards the train station. 

Arriving at the entrance of the station, Hinata was already there waiting for her. She was dressed up in her usual hiking attire, carrying her larger backpack, no doubt packed with snacks and her tea-making equipment. Waving, she called out to Aoi. "Aoi! Over here! You are late, we are gonna miss the train!"

"Hhhhhh... I am so sorry - I was preparing the meal and..." Huffing and puffing, Aoi stood still for a second to catch her breath. "I almost forgot the time... ahhhh..."

"Haha Aoi, you look like you broke several triathlon records. You should keep some of that stamina for our climb or you will collapse midway again. Now let's go catch the train!" Gently she grabbed Aoi's hand and briskly started walking through the crowded terminal. As it was the weekend, the station was already crowded with passengers. 

Just before the doors of the train closed, the girls found themselves inside right on time.

"Phew, in the nick of time. And you were the one that told me not to be late, Aoi!" Hinata playfully scolded her. 

"Ahhh...." Still holding Hinata's hand, Aoi was exhausted from running. "I'm so sorry but - I was preparing the meal and... hnnngg"

"Aww and here I thought I was gonna go on a hanami date all by myself with all these snacks I bought. Come, let us grab a seat, It's a long ride and we need to save our stamina for the climb later!"

Walking through the passenger car, the girls managed to find two empty seats just near the window. Placing their backpacks on the rack above, they sat opposite each other just as the train gained momentum and left the station. 

"Sooo - what kind of meal did you make?" Hinata asked her after she made herself comfortable on the seat.

"Hhhh... ahhh... well... you'll see it later. It's a secret." Aoi replied, still panting and trying to catch her breath. " I spent all this morning preparing the meal and even had to go to the supermarket as I was lacking some ingredients... What did you bring in your large backpack?"

"Just some snacks and the usual stuff I bring to boil tea," Hinata answered. "Oooh, and I brought something perfect that's for hanami!"

"What did you bring?" Aoi curiously asked.

"It's a secret!" She replied and grinned. 

***

A train and bus ride later, the girls found themselves at the entrance of an ancient picturesque shrine just at the bottom of Mount Tsukuba, the starting point of their trek towards the peak of the mountain. This time they decided to take a different route from the one they did the year before. 

"Tsukubasan Shrine." Reading the sign aloud just above the entrance, Aoi turned to face Hinata. "Hinata, are you sure you want to climb from this route? Last time we went up the path on the other side." She asked while Hinata curiously kept glancing around the shrine, taking in the beautiful scenery. Illuminated by the sun's rays, the colors of spring add to the beauty of the ancient shrine. 

"Yeah - We haven't climbed this route before and we missed this wonderful shrine the last time!" Hinata replied as she took photographs with her phone of the beautiful scenery. Hence it was the weekend, the elegant shrine was crowded with visitors and hikers who'd come to pay their respects and bask in its beauty before they were on their route to the top of the mountain.

"There's more written down here," Aoi said as she resumed reading the information sign. "The legend states that the shrine has over 3000 years of history and has a power spot in the form of a large cedar tree. Oh, and it also says that praying at this shrine is also known to bring luck for .... errr.... romantic relationships..." She lightly blushed reading the last part quietly.

"This shrine looks so lovely and calm! And look at all those cute couples hehe... I think some of them might be newlyweds too!" Hinata spoke with a wide smile. "Maybe they are here to bring luck to their romantic relationships?" 

"Ummm... maybe...." Aoi replied and let out a sigh. Still blushed, she held out her hand to Hinata's and gently grabbed it. "Come, let's go up the stairs to pay our respects to the shrine." 

Walking up the steps of the shrine, they reached the saisenbako just close to the main hall. Withstanding the test of time, the masterfully crafted hall resembled a beautiful artwork frozen in time. Throwing an offering of a coin inside the saisenbako the girls in unison clapped their hands and after a short prayer, they went on a short stroll through the shrine. 

"Oh, and did you hear me say that there is a power spot nearby too?"

"Ahhh... so that's why I feel so powerful Aoi! I am already recharged and so powerful!!!" Hinata snickered and flexed her arm. "Feel the power of Hinata!" 

"Nah, too much of your 'power' would be fatal to me." Aoi jokingly replied. "Save some of your energy for the climb."

"Sure sure, but I probably will recharge again later with all the snacks I bought and your bento box. That's why you should take some of my power now before you dissipate from accidentally touching me later on Aoi!" 

Close to the shrine, the cable car station operated frequently taking visitors up to the mountain. Aoi found out that close by, there is a popular hiking route that also led up to the peak, and seemed to be used by hikers all year round. Passing the station, and walking up to another flight of stairs, the girls found a sign with an arrow pointing to the trail.

"This one is called the 'Miyukigahara route'," Aoi stated. "Maybe it will be similar to the route we took last year."

"Haha, look Aoi! It's the return of Mount Nyotai!" Hinata pointed to the sign underneath and chuckled. "Maybe climbing the mountain the second time is a lucky charm, and will really give us a nicer figure Aoi. But then you probably packed mochi in that bento box again." 

"Ahh geez, Hinata!" Aoi pouted. Naturally, Aoi seemed to have a slight mochi obsession and couldn't hear the end of it from Hinata. "My mochi season was this winter and since then I lost a little bit of the winter weight I got, which is not much I can say for you packing so many snacks! I swear I'll stop overindulging in mochi and snacks!"

"Mmmmmmmm? You won't even try the snacks I bought yesterday at the supermarket?" Hinata smiled and gently nudged her.

"Pfff, fine! I'll stop overindulging in snacks from tomorrow then!" 

***

Walking up the rocky trail together with Hinata, the mountain path was quite lively with hikers who had come to witness the beautiful scenery of Mount Tsukuba. Carefully Aoi traversed through the rugged terrain, overflown by the unstoppable force of nature.

"Phew... I feel so tired... Careful Hinata, this area is especially rough!"

"Don't worry, I got my best hiking shoes on!" Hinata replied following Aoi's pace. She was captivated by the beautiful trees and nature surrounding the hiking trail. "I'm so glad we chose this path Aoi, it feels like we are walking in a fairy tale!" She happily stated. "I really missed the fresh mountain air too, we haven't hiked in weeks."

"I missed it too. I only went for a short stroll, on Tenranzan that day in March... when you were gone for the weekend with your dad... Didn't you both go to... Mount Mitake?"

"We did, it was beautiful up there too. But my dad is more of an experienced hiker so I can't always follow his pace. I was pretty much waiting for you to be free from work... so we can go again." Hinata replied. However, she noticed that Aoi was panting more than usual. "By the way... have you been doing those leg exercises we found on the internet?" She asked. "We need to stay in shape... if we are to climb Mount Fuji again remember?" 

"Well... I was busy so... haven't really been doing... them every day. But unlike last year... I believe I have more endurance to climb... routes like these" Aoi replied in between her breathing before she stopped at the side of the trail for a short break.

Standing close to the iron fence on the side of the trail, it separated the path from the steel tracks used by the cable cars. "Ah, Hinata.. check it out. The cable cars are passing by!" Aoi pointed to the cars that were about to pass them. It was packed with visitors that waved back at them from inside. 

"Hellooooo!" With a smile, both of them waved at the passengers inside the cars.

"It must be so easy for them going up to the mountain like that. Maybe we can take the cable car later if it gets too dark." Aoi suggested before taking a sip from her water bottle. 

"But they are taking the easy way up and missing out on the beauty of the forest and the hiking trail," Hinata replied as she also sipped from a water bottle. "Besides we have to think of our Nyotai and our physical condition, Aoi! There's no Nyotai with all that mochi." she snickered replacing the bottle in her large backpack.

"Pfff... It's not like we didn't climb any mountains or didn't train during January and February! It was only in March that I was busier than usual. I believe my 'Nyotai' is cleansed from all that winter mochi since!" Aoi replied, and slowly moved back to the trail to continue their climb.

"But you kinda seem out of shape today. Did you get enough sleep last night?" Worriedly she asked her following Aoi back on the trail. "I knew you had to wake up early, but you shouldn't have run to the station Aoi. I wouldn't have minded if we boarded a different train if we missed that one." 

"Well, I kinda went to bed late last night and couldn't really sleep... And I haven't eaten much besides some trail mix earlier." Aoi stated. "I didn't want you to be mad at me for being late... so that's why I was running."

"Ahhh Aoi... I always keep telling you that going to bed early is really important before a hike and you should eat more besides a trail mix." Hinata sighed. "I wouldn't have been mad at you, these thing happens. You worked so hard for our picnic and It's just a short leisurely climb today."

"I know, but still... feels a bit difficult today. However, I'll manage!" Aoi smiled and brushed off her sweat. "I am fueled on trail mix and pure determination to try the bento box! There is a hanami waiting for us up there."

"Of course, I can't wait to try your meal!" Hinata excitedly stated. "Hey Aoi, do you think if we eat all this food on Mt. Nyotai it will cancel out the calories? You know because of the blessing of 'Nyotai'?" 

"There is only one way to see and you have all those snacks with you for the experiment," Aoi answered. "We can later ask your weight scale what it thinks about it. Oh, you should tell it that you went to Mount Nyotai for scientific data."

"Hahaha, Aoi... Nyotai!" Hinata kept snickering at the mention of the word. "Oh... Aoi Aoi... What do mountains wear to keep warm? Snowcaps!"

"That was so lame Hinata," Aoi remarked and chuckled. "You should have prayed at the shrine for better jokes instead." 

"Haha what do you know Aoi, that's 'Peak' humor right here... OOOH I got another one, once I started falling down the mountain, It all went downhill from there. DOWNHILL, Aoi!" 

***

The last stretch of the hiking trail was packed with dense vegetation, rocks, and crudely arranged wooden stairs. At a careful pace, the girls continued their hike up the rugged path, as it was congested with hikers traversing the route. 

"I can see something up there!" Exhausted and covered with sweat, Aoi noticed the first building at the end of the climb. "I think we are close."

"Ah, that's wonderful!" Hinata replied as she stepped behind Aoi following her pace. Moving closer, the girls saw the power lines leading up to the cable car station and the last flight of stairs.

"We've made it!" Aoi announced as they ascended the last stretch towards the open paved area of the mountain peak. Hinata passed her by to check out the surroundings.

"Phew... uhhh... Why am I so exhausted this time?" Aoi thought to herself as sweat dripped from her tired face. She held down to her knees trying to catch her breath, exhaling in and out. "Hinata was right, I should really go to bed early before we go hiking. I thought she would be angry at me again..."

"Aoi, over here!" Hinata called out to her pointing towards the cylindrical building just close to the trail. "Let's go up on the terrace, I think we can see the city from up there."

Still exhausted Aoi managed to push through and climb the stairs up to the viewing terrace together with Hinata. Walking to the railing, she looked out at the far distance as the panoramic view of the world beneath them opened up right in front of her eyes. She always felt these sights were a reward for every difficult climb they have done so far.

"Wow, Aoi!" Hinata exclaimed as she looked around. "It's awesome!" 

"Ahh indeed... it's so refreshing up here...." Aoi replied staring into the wide horizon, as the wind gently brushed through her short sweaty hair. The last time they climbed this mountain the scenery looked significantly different at night. She couldn't help but smile. 

"Aoi look, last year we were sitting over on that side when we saw the city at night!" Hinata pointed towards the left, just above the trees was a small shrine and rock formation. "We can go again there before sunset if you want, it's a short walk from the rest area.

"Sure but let's go to the Shinto Shrine on the summit first. I saw on the map that it's over there!" Aoi pointed to the right side close to the antenna tower. "Afterwards we can go eat." 

"Sure..." Hinata replied and smiled. "We made it, Aoi!" she said and gently grabbed Aoi's hand.

Glancing at Hinata, Aoi slightly blushed and also smiled. "It makes me so happy to see her so cheerful." She thought to herself. 

"She has such a beautiful smile."

 

 

(Latest revision: 15th December 2022)

(Continued in Chapter 3)

1