Chapter 4: City Lights
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey, Aoi wake up... it's almost time to see the sunset."

"...Uhhhhh... where are we?"

"Still on Mount Tsukuba, sleepyhead."

"Huh... I must have fallen asleep..." Aoi said as she stretched her arms. She must have dozed off inside the hammock from exhaustion as daylight appeared to be coming to an end. Besides themselves, only a few hikers and visitors remained at the rest area.

"I told you the hammock with the fresh mountain air is a powerful melatonin." Hinata said as she stood above her.

"Ah, I'm sorry Hinata... I fell asleep..." Carefully with Hinata's help, she stepped out of the hammock. When she stood on the ground, it felt like the whole world was swaying left to right. "Oooh... that's a strange feeling. I feel like I'm on a boat."

"Haha yeah - that also happens to me too," Hinata let out a chuckle as she got to work carefully packing up the hammock, first untying the knot on one side of the tree. "Whenever I can't sleep, I just use the hammock in my room and it works instantaneously. However the next day I feel like I've been sleeping on a boat."

Sitting down on the wooden bench, Aoi kept rubbing her eyes trying to properly wake up and take in her surroundings. She felt quite refreshed after her nap. "So what you've been up to while I was asleep?" She asked.

"I was just looking at the scenery and pretty much thinking about stuff, and then these two girls approached me. " Hinata answered after she finished packing up and sat across the other side from Aoi. "They wanted to ask me if I can borrow any snacks, and then we started talking about camping, and stuff. They told me they frequently go camping around different spots in Japan, even in winter. This afternoon they arrived at a camping spot on the other side of the mountain, and they hiked up to check out the sights. Apparently, that pink-haired girl forgot to bring snacks for their hike and both of them were starving, so I gave them some of my snacks."

"Huh - So I wasn't dreaming when I saw you talk to someone earlier," Aoi said. "Aren't you sad that you gave away your snacks though?"

"Nah, I'll be fine beside you gotta help out your fellow hikers if they are hungry. I gotta take care of my 'nyotai' too." She replied and chuckled. "I was gonna give them all of the snacks I had left but they refused. Also, the girls said you looked cute sleeping inside the hammock. If I wasn't here they would have probably kidnapped you together with the hammock for their secret comfy society."

"Ah... geez..." Aoi blushed while still trying to properly wake up. "You should have woken me up so I can say hi... I feel kinda embarrassed now."

"Aww don't worry about it, you were exhausted. They didn't want to wake you up too. I told them that you woke up early this morning and you were preparing a delicious meal for us both." Hinata cheerfully replied. "Also they invited us to go camping sometime with them near Lake Motosu, apparently there is a wonderful view of Mount Fuji from there at night. I told them we went camping a few times before, so we are pretty much set."

"Look at you making even more new friends!" Aoi smiled. "And that's awesome, we haven't gone camping in a while now and we can also invite Kokona and Honoka if they want to come too. I hope you got their phone numbers."

"The more the merrier and yup - saved their numbers on my phone. They told me if we go camping with them I should bring my hammock, and they really want to try your cooking too. Then we can officially be initiated into the new secret society 'hammock'!"

"Secret society 'hammock'?" Aoi curiously asked.

"Haha yes... it will be a secret society for comfy girls who like to relax in a hammock and you'll be the appointed president!" Hinata answered and stoop up from the bench all ready for their hike towards the peak where they could observe the sunset from. "But yeah, let's go or we will miss the sunset."

"Wait what? I'll be the president?"

***

Carefully stepping through the rocky surface, the girls quickly reached the peak of 'Mount Nyotai'. Walking past the small shrine close to the cliff, the familiar sight from last year once again opened up across the horizon.

"Look, Aoi!" Hinata gazed in awe as the sunset changed the landscape in all kinds of vibrant shades. "It looks amazing!"

Carefully they sat down on the edge of the cold rocky surface staring out at the distant horizon. "I remember this spot from last year," Aoi said. "But the scenery in spring looks different."

"Yeah - I have to admit spring is my favorite season for hiking. Spring's always so full of colors and I love seeing the sunset from up here!" Hinata replied, while her gaze was transfixed out in the distant horizon. "I also read in a guidebook that on a clear day you can see Fuji-san from up here too."

"Ah... kind of a shame it's cloudy in the distance," Aoi remarked. She loved that she could see Fuji-san from all kinds of spots around Tokyo and the outskirts, it was indeed a magnificent mountain and a national treasure. "I remember last year I could also see it from the Maruhiro store if you go on the levels above."

Sitting together in stillness, they kept staring out on the horizon as the colors of the city gradually shifted. The city beneath increasingly became alive with the tiny blinking lights from buildings and street lights. The evening sky slowly laid out its carpet of stars above as the cold gentle wind brushed through the girl's hair.

"Hey, Aoi" Hinata broke the silence. "Thank you... for everything." Feeling a bit cold, she got closer to Aoi and gently embraced her from the side for warmth. The weather started getting colder and she softly shivered. "I am really glad that you decided to go mountaineering with me last year... and be my friend again. In middle school, I usually went with my dad and mom - but going with you and our friends feels very special to me."

Feeling the warmth of her friend's embrace made Aoi's heart slightly race. "Hinata...." she softly spoke. "I am really glad that you gave me a push to go hiking with you, otherwise I would have just stayed at home for the whole year... thank you as well, Hinata... for being my friend..."

"Hehe - it's no trouble. That's what besties are for." Still embraced next to her, Hinata smiled and continued speaking. "We saw so many beautiful sights and we met new friends too, so it was quite a wonderful year. I am really happy that we reconciled last year Aoi, and - I can't ever forgive myself that I left you alone all those years before."

"It wasn't your fault Hinata, you don't have to feel bad..." Aoi replied. "Your dad had to move away for work so, I suppose these things happen in life. Just like with my dad having to travel for work often."

"But I feel bad that you didn't make any friends in middle school Aoi, and I feel bad that you were lonely all that time!" Hinata replied still embraced into her. "Even though I am glad that we hang out most of the time, it makes me so happy that you opened up and made new friends too. You also got to hang out with Kasumi and the others from our class too. If one day we are separated again - I don't ever want you to be lonely Aoi..."

"Hinata, you don't have to feel bad. I was fine back then too - I enjoyed doing activities at home and hanging out with my mom and dad. I also learned to knit by myself and I enjoy doing crafts too. Besides if you were to leave again, we have the internet as you said." Aoi assuredly replied, but in reality, she was frightened if that day would ever come. "We will always stay in touch, just like we are going to stay in touch with Kaede when she leaves for university next year and our friends."

"Hehe, of course, we will stay in touch Aoi!" Hinata replied and grinned "We are bff's, and bff's climb so many mountains together, go on all kinds of adventures and always stay in touch no matter what happens in life! After Fuji-san, we will aim for Mount Everest, K2, and perhaps one day we will go to Europe to climb the Alps!"

"Well... let's focus on Mount Fuji for now." Thinking of those dangerous mountains only made Aoi feel anxious if she ought to climb them one day. For now, she just wanted to climb mountains that were easily accessible and safe, and she was always worrying about Kaede who usually went hiking through dangerous routes. She didn't also want to worry about Hinata getting stranded somewhere without help, or herself for that matter. However Aoi had a lot on her mind today, the fact that she struggled a bit to climb Mount Tsukuba today seemed to trouble her.

"Besides, after today I am not sure if I can climb Fuji-san again the whole way..." she said worriedly.

"Huh? Why do you think that Aoi?"

"Remember that last year it was at this same spot that I told you that I want to try climbing Mount Fuji again. But after practicing all that time, today I struggled to climb Mount Tsukuba, and then I was exhausted and fell asleep earlier in the hammock. I am still concerned that I am too weak to conquer Fuji-san again this summer." Aoi replied as she looked out thoughtfully in the distance. "The past year I do feel like I've gotten a bit stronger and I can climb Tenranzan with ease - but today I struggled so I am really scared that I will fail again, and I thought you would get angry at me again for going to bed late..."

"Oh - you shouldn't be worried Aoi, these things happen even to the most experienced hikers." Hinata assuredly replied. "This is why I told you that conserving your energy before a climb is important, and there will always be days when you feel weak and tired. Yesterday we decided on a whim that we are going to do a short climb and a hanami, but when we make plans for a difficult hike we also prepare for it. Today you woke up early and you went through the trouble of preparing the meal and going to the supermarket and back. And then you ran to the train station so you lost a bit of your energy. When we go to Fuji-san this summer we will make a plan together to prepare properly, and before the day arrives we can go to bed early to conserve our energy. We can also do those strength exercises together if you want, so you will be fine. I am sure you will be ready to climb Fuji-san this summer again Aoi."

"But what if I get altitude sickness again?" Aoi was still worried even after Hinata tried to assure her that everything will be alright. It was in her nature to be worried after her last year's try left her in the middle of the trail with altitude sickness. "I don't want to keep you all from reaching the summit again... Last year I kept Kaede from climbing to the summit because of me so she didn't see the sunrise on top of Fuji-san and it was all my fault." gently she brushed her eyes from tears. "I don't deserve to be your friend if I do that to you all again..."

"Aoi! Don't say that ever again you dummy!" Hinata snapped at her in an angry tone. "If we don't reach the peak again this summer then we will keep trying again, and again, and again for the rest of our lives - Until you finally do and we see the sunrise from up there together! We are your mountaineering buddies, and mountaineering buddies never leave one of their own behind! We will keep trying every year if we have to until we are old and frail!" she kept staring at Aoi intently as tears also formed in her eyes, but she couldn't ever stay angry at her. All she could ever do was keep smiling just so she can see Aoi's smile too. "And I will always be there to help you conquer Fuji-san! And when we reach the peak and look at the sunrise together, we will laugh because we did it together Aoi... Because I love seeing you happy and... smile... Aoi I..."

Hearing her words of reassurance made Aoi's heart race even faster. Aoi always knew that Hinata cared strongly for her and always wanted to see her happy. Even if they would tease each other or seldom they would argue, she knew that they cared profoundly for each other no matter what circumstances life had in store for them. Embraced so close to her she didn't feel cold anymore. She was slowly realizing that her strong feelings for Hinata were those of love, and there was nothing she could do to make those feelings go away.

"Hinata..." Aoi softly spoke as she looked her deep in the eyes. For the first time, she had such a strong urge to kiss her sweet lips, and stay embraced like this forever.

However, something at that moment snapped inside her.

Completely flustered Aoi stood up and let out a strange sound. 

"EEP! It's so cold!"

On the other side, Hinata with a blushed and dumbfounded expression kept staring at Aoi. "Aoi... what - happened?" she asked.

Realizing how embarrassingly she acted, Aoi turned an even deeper shade of red. "Hahaha... nothing, nothing!" trying to come up with an excuse for her behavior she fidgeted for a bit. "I think - my butt got cold... I mean - No!"

Completely dumbstruck and flushed, Hinata kept staring back at Aoi who was suddenly acting so strangely. Unable to help herself any longer, she burst into laughter holding herself to her sides.

"Just... shut up Hinata! Don't laugh!"

"Hahahaha Aoi!" Hinata kept nervously laughing and laughing. "Your butt got cold? Hahahahaha - Did you know getting your butt cold is extremely dangerous in a situation like this Aoi?"

Still completely flustered, Aoi started pacing away from Hinata towards the Shinto shrine. "Let's go... it's getting dark and I didn't bring my headlamp!"

"Hahaha! Aoi, Aoi... did you know people's butts can get stuck to cold surfaces on mountains? Then they have to call rescue services and they come with this device that encases their butt and unfreezes..."

"Hinataaaa! Shut up!"

***

"...and that was the famous story of Hayami Takaishi whose butt got stuck on Mount Akaishi one day in winter many years ago! The legend says on a sunny day you can see an outline of a butt in one of the stones..."

"Hinata, just... you are making things up!" Annoyed and still flustered, Aoi nervously marched through the dark forest following the path toward the railway station. Even though she managed to calm down a bit, she was still flustered and kept trying to hide the real reason behind her embarrassment. Following her pace, Hinata passionately ranted on about 'frozen butts'.

"What on earth was I thinking!" Involved in an internal monologue, Aoi felt like screaming. "I almost kissed her! Aaaaaahhhh... what the hell is wrong with me? That's it... she has used witchcraft on me! Earlier she probably prayed at the shrine that I embarrass myself again just so she can find something to tease me about... but this is the worst thing that happened so far me..."

"Aoi?"

"No no no... it's not just any magic... it's her delinquent magic! YES! that girl is such a pain in the butt... argh HINATA!" Marching forward, Aoi almost tripped over a tree branch.

"Aoi?"

"EVIL... I mean what!?" Turning back she stared restlessly at Hinata who was following her.

"We are here... geez Aoi! Did that butt freeze of yours manifest into a mind freeze?"

"No, it didn't, and shut up!"

Following a short walk from the peak, they reached the area around the railway station from where they climbed earlier. At night this spot was also decorated in lights, just like the area around the ropeway station. The spot was yet again crowded with visitors who'd come to observe the stars and the city lights beneath.

"Ooooh, this looks festive!" Hinata exclaimed as she stared into the lights. "And look it's crowded again even at night!"

"But Hinata... it's all couples again - just like last time..." Aoi shyly said.

"Hahaha.. indeed!" Hinata replied with a wide smile and kept staring at the lights and the crowd. "Look there is a ramen restaurant that's still open." she pointed towards one of the shacks with the restaurant sign on top. "and I am hungry again!"

"Geez Hinata... wasn't the meal and the snacks enough. I thought you were gonna think of your 'nyotai'?"

"But I am so hungry!" Hinata complained. "Want to go eat some ramen then check out the lights before we head home?"

"But it's all couples over there again - It's so embarrassing if we go just us two..."

"Who cares!" Hinata interrupted her. "Besides, aren't we kind of a couple?"

"You said that last year too, you dummy!" Aoi nervously replied and turned red-faced again. To be seen as a couple after what she almost tried to do earlier was extraordinarily embarrassing for her. Eventually, she gave up and let out a sigh, again Hinata's smile won the motion by several miles. "Ughh... Fine... I guess we can go..."

"Yay! but first, let's eat some mountain ramen!" Hinata cheerfully said. Before she started walking towards the restaurant, Aoi gently tugged Hinata's jacket from behind and got closer.

"Ummm... Hinata..." she shyly spoke. "I don't mind if you want to hold my hand... well... only so so we don't get lost in the crowd."

"Sure..." Hinata agreed and gently took Aoi's hand. "We can pretend we are like one of those dumb old romantic couples who mix up their clothes and play shogi all day!"

"Hinataaa..." Aoi almost wanted to cry from embarrassment as Hinata led her to the restaurant.

After a helpful serving of delicious mountain ramen, the girls wandered around the area to check out the lights and the views of the city from this side of the mountain. Holding her hand close to hers, Aoi didn't feel so embarrassed anymore as she stood together with Hinata among all the couples who had come to bask in the beauty of the city below.

"Even if we are pretending, I guess this feels really nice..." Aoi thought to herself as they stared at the city lights again.

"...Maybe... I kinda wish we weren't pretending... though..."

***

Passing through the nocturnal city of Tokyo, the lights from thousands of homes flashed by in an instant as Aoi gazed thoughtfully out the window. Taking the last train home, the gentle sound of the engine was enough to put Hinata to sleep as she laid her head down on Aoi's shoulder. She kept staring out the window as the city passed by and had every moment of their wonderful day replaying in her head.

"Maybe I'll figure it out someday." Aoi thought. "I don't fully understand why I have these feelings for Hinata or why I wanted to kiss her earlier. I mean she can be annoying at times and such a pain in the butt, however... when I looked into her eyes earlier, I just... I felt so warm and happy inside... and her beautiful smile, she is the most gorgeous girl in the world."

Closing her eyes, she enjoyed listening to the soft train engine as it passed through the city. Going on all kinds of adventures, she lost count of how many train rides they took the past year together with their friends. She wished these train rides would never end, so she could always look out the window as the world passed by together with Hinata.

"I guess one day, these train rides will stop and I'll be back to my old self..." With sadness, she thought about a time when she would be lonely again and unlike the years before, she felt terrified of it. "Maybe one day Hinata will be gone from my life again... eventually she will go to university, find a job and get married to someone... in the end, we would just go our own way in life, only our memories and photographs will stay behind..."

Gently squeezing Hinata's hands she looked back at her and smiled. She was still sleeping peacefully perched on her shoulder, there was still some time left until they reached the station in Hannō. "Hinata must be exhausted too... well we will be home soon so... guess that's the end of the day... but I kinda wish... these days would never end."

***

"Hinata." Aoi nudged her sleeping friend gently to wake her up.

"Uhh... hey? Did we arrive?"

"We did but I have some bad news..." Aoi announced just as the train pulled up at their destination.

It was sometime before midnight as the girls stood outside the gates of the train station. On the other side, it seemed like all hell broke loose. The clouds poured rain all over the city of Hannō and thunder raged on in the far distance.

"Errr... Hinata... didn't you check the weather yesterday?" Aoi asked as she turned and looked at Hinata with murderous intent.

"Hehe... well... I only looked for Tsukuba but - it kinda said it's gonna rain tomorrow... heheheeee" With a guilty expression, she glanced back at Aoi who was probably plotting how to assassinate her. "Do you have an umbrella?" she asked. "I... kinda left mine at home..."

"Well, I didn't bring one because you said the weather was gonna be fine and that I shouldn't bring an umbrella you absolute DODO!" Aoi yelled angrily. "And my mom and dad are still in Hokkaido so there's no one to pick us up, and we wasted all our money on Mount Tsukuba so we can't call a taxi!"

"And my phone battery is dead so I can't call my dad!" Hinata said after she checked her phone.

"Arghhh HINATA! What the heck are we gonna do?"

"Hey, Aoi remember that triathlon you did this morning?"

"What on earth are you talking about Hinata? This is not the time for jokes!" Aoi appeared to be in her usual panic mode. Hinata on the other hand must have come up with an idea.

"Well, want to break your record from this morning?" Hinata asked as she grabbed Aoi's hand and started pulling her out on the street. "C'mon we are running to your house!"

"NO! What are you doing, you crazy idiot?! We are gonna be soaked! It's a 15-minute run!" Aoi protested but it was too late, Hinata already pulled her out and together they started to run.

"Haha... it will be fine! It's the start of our exercises for Fuji-san Aoi! WOOOHOOO!" she yelled out in laughter, running through the drenched streets of Hannō with Aoi by her side. It only took them a few seconds to be completely soaked from head to toe.

"Hinataaa!" Running beside her Aoi kept squirming, carefully stepping through the wet asphalt to not slip and fall. "Kindly remind me to kick your ass later!"

 

(Latest revision: 15th December 2022)
(Continued in Chapter 5)

1