2. Imperial Family
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Ren was still trying to swim, but he could feel his muscle screaming from pain.

Splash!

There was sudden water interruption. He noticed that there was a large log on the river that fell down near him. Without any hesitation, he moved forward and grabbed the log as hard as possible.

Xiao Ren felt as if he was dreaming as he laid on top of the log and lost consciousness. His mind drifted to the time just a few hours before. He was still chatting with his friends about this campaign that the king decided in order to check the villagers.

After all, King Ai had just sat on the throne for three months.

“I can’t believe that His Highness just bring so many soldiers for an outing,” Commander Wei, Wei Qing, remarked.

Wei Qing was his best friend. Even though Wei Qing came from a renowned family in Zhao Kingdom while Xiao Ren was a former slave, the two of them were going along quite well. It was to the point that many often forgot that Xiao Ren used to be nothing more than a lowly slave.

“It’s for safety purpose,” Xiao Ren replied while controlling his horse so that he wouldn’t make a mistake.

Wei Qing pursed his lips. “If he’s so worried, he should have brought more generals.”

At this time, Xiao Ren looked at Wei Qing as if he was looking at an idiot. “It’s impossible to mobilize so many soldiers when you have to be wary of threats.”

“Well…” Wei Qing yawned. “But they end up sending smaller commanders like us to come even though our duty should have been to be in the palace.”

“Just do your job well.”

“Guh, you’re always so nonchalant, Xiao Ren.”

Xiao Ren smiled mirthlessly. As a slave, he didn’t have any family because they died during war. He couldn’t remember which war anymore because there were so many dispute with smaller states in the border, especially at the north.

Princes who didn’t become the next king would be sent to other states to become dukes there. After all, Zhou Kingdom was quite large and the king has to face many problems both internally and externally.

However, it was precisely this method that caused warring states period to start.

Of course, Xiao Ren knew nothing about it as he only knew that he had to protect the king because it was his task as a three thousand men’s commander. It was neither a high position or low, but it meant that he was capable enough.

Wei Qing sighed. He noticed that they were already near a small village near Huang River. “Do you think we’re going to stop here?”

“It’s highly possible,” Xiao Ren replied. He looked at the direction of the village for a moment. The other villages were located far away from the place, which make it harder for them to reach it if they didn’t go as soon as possible.

“Don’t you feel tired?”

“Not really. I want to search for General Wang to train again.”

“Damn you training maniac.”

Xiao Ren arched his eyebrows. “If you slack off, you’re not going to get promoted again. you’re already lagging behind compared to me.”

“Shut up!”

Wei Qing felt embarrassed when Xiao Ren mentioned about his poor record. He was several years older than Xiao Ren, but his achievement in military was nothing compared to Xiao Ren. As the result, Xiao Ren held higher position compared to him.

He flicked a glance at his best friend. “Why do you think King Zhending asked you to be His Highness personal guard and abandoned your soldiers in border?”

“I don’t know.”

“Hey, you’re smarter than me.”

Xiao Ren pursed his lips, refusing to answer. Most commanders gained their promotion through real battle and it could only be achieved in the border. Xiao Ren himself used to live in the border, but he was called back to the capital not long before King Zhending’s death.

Since then, he had been serving as Imperial Family’s guard.

“Anyway, since all my brothers are in the border, you should be the one to help me fight if it’s necessary, ok?”

“F*ck you! Who would want to take care of an insolent brat like you?”

Xiao Ren wanted to laugh, but they had reached the village. He shut his mouth and instructed his horse to move forward. The moment King Ai alighted from the carriage, he had already get down from his horse and bowed down with his eyes looked down.

He didn’t feel worthy to look at the king’s face.

“We’ll stop here.”

“Yes, Your Majesty!”

There was only one order, but no one dared to refute. They all waited until King Ai had moved back before they began to stand up one by one. Xiao Ren was located in the middle because of his position.

“Go to your position,” General Wang ordered.

“Yes, Sir!”

Everyone quickly dispersed and made the arrangement. Xiao Ren furrowed his brows when he listened to the arrangement for him. Even though he didn’t bring his soldiers here, he was stationed quite far.

‘Was there any mistake?’

“Supper time!”

Xiao Ren chose to push the thoughts to the back of his mind as he walked to the middle. There were already a lot of people there, so he had to hurry to get his ration for today’s meal.

After making sure that he was full, Xiao Ren headed to his post and waited there for a few hours. The chilling wind didn’t bother him in the slightest bit as he had long gotten used with it. His brows furrowed when he suddenly sensed blood.

‘Is there an attack?’

Rushing inside, Xiao Ren pondered what was going on. He quickly headed to the place closest to him and noticed that some soldiers had died. Just as he was about to leave, he saw several soldiers brandished their swords.

Clang!

“What are you doing?” Xiao Ren shouted angrily.

“Sorry, Commander Xiao, but you have to die!”

Xiao Ren’s eyes sharpened as he moved to the side swiftly. His brain warned him as he quickly raised his sword to block the attack.

Clang!

“You…”

Noticing that more and more soldiers were coming at him, Xiao Ren hardened his gaze and leapt forward. His sword was no longer only used to defend himself but also to kill.

Slash!

 

King Ai of Zhou was the twenty-ninth king of Zhou Dynasty and the seventeenth of Eastern Zhou. He only stayed as the king for three months before he was killed and replaced by his second brother, Ji Shu, who will become King Si of Zhou.

0