12. Staying in the City
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Here’s the place,” Jun said politely. Behind him, Dai still looked like he was unconvinced. The two disciples were still at odds with each other.

“Thank you.”

Xiao Ren scanned the place. The quarter was pretty big with several rooms inside. There were more than enough for them to have separate bedrooms, so Xiao Ren wouldn’t need to cram on the same bed with Ye Lei again. There were also living room, kitchen, and some others.

Ye Ning’s eyes sparkled when she saw the arrangement. This was the first time she ever entered a house this good.

“I didn’t know a quarter is this large!” Ye Ning looked at the kitchen with astonishment. The utensil was complete, which meant that she would be able to try some cooking that she previously unable to.

Ye Lei shook his head at his sister’s behavior. Even though he was also astonished, he tried to hide his feelings because he knew that it would be very unbecoming of him.

Jun smiled. “If there’s nothing else you need, we’ll be going now.”

“Ah, yes. Thank you very much.”

After that, Jun dragged Dai out of the quarter. Based on Dai’s face, it was clear that he would make a drama if he was left behind. He was already very annoyed when he found out that the three of them would stay here because he knew that it meant they needed to prepare more food for them.

Xiao Ren dragged his body and sat down on the chair in the living room. He looked around him with curiosity. The place was filled with trees and so on. It was pretty good in his opinion as the air was refreshing.

While Xiao Ren sat down quietly, Ye Ning and Ye Lei took the chance to look around the quarter. They were astonished to see the place.

“Do you like the place?”

The three of them turned their head to the door and saw Physician Hong returned back with a bag on his left hand and a glass on his right hand. He was smiling kindly as he sat down not far from Xiao Ren and handed over the glass.

“Drink this.”

Xiao Ren took the glass. The smell of herb came from the glass, but he couldn’t be bothered with it. As he drank it, he felt sense of warmth on his throat.

“This place is really good, Physician Hong,” Ye Ning said with a bright smile. “Is it fine for us to stay here?”

“Of course,” Physician Hong replied with a laugh. “There’s no need to worry about bothering me. This place is made for guests and patients.”

On the back, Dai had the urge to rush forward and ask his master how they would get profit if his master continued to help the poor? There were so many people taking advantage of this physician by not paying according to the way they should be.

“Oh, right, how much should we pay?” Ye Lei asked cautiously.

Physician Hong smiled. “If it’s possible, you can pay with one bronze knife, but if you can’t, you can trade with your goods such as rice, fishes, or anything else.”

Dai’s face turned green when he heard what his master said. Beside him, Jun had to do whatever possible to restrain his fellow disciple because he knew that their master disliked when they treated their guests based on how much money they have.

“Ah, we have money.”

Ye Ning scrambled and opened the bag that she brought with her. There were dozens of bronze knives inside, which was all Xiao Ren’s money. At the same time, the bamboo scroll poked out when Ye Ning took out one bronze knife.

Xiao Ren noticed that Physician Hong’s eyes seemed to lit up when he looked at the bag. From what he had heard so far, Physician Hong didn’t really care about money and this place alone would price much more than a bronze knife. However, the one that might attract this physician might be the bamboo scroll.

Only scholars, teachers, or physicians could possibly have bamboo scroll.

Other occupation usually didn’t have it.

At the same time, Dai and Jun were stunned when they saw the bag filled with money. From what they knew, it was hard to collect so much money. With the three’s appearance, who would have thought that they actually have so much money?

Dai’s cheek felt hot as if someone scalded it. He knew that he made a grave mistake when he thought of them to be poor.

What poor? That was clearly very rich.

“Is this enough?” Ye Ning asked. “If it’s not enough, there are still more.”

“There’s no need.” Physician Hong smiled and took the bronze knife as he looked towards Xiao Ren. “I just hope that you’ll listen to a request of mine after you have healed.”

Xiao Ren arched his eyebrows. He could guess that it must be related to that bamboo scroll, but it was not something he could show to other people easily. Inside it was the instruction given to him by King Zhending before his death around three months ago.

Physician Hong smiled. “I won’t ask something excessive and even if you don’t accept my request later, I won’t pursue the matter.”

It took Xiao Ren a few seconds before he nodded his head faintly. There was an indescribable gaze on his eyes, which would make other people confused. However, Physician Hong merely smiled.

He stood up. “I’ll be going now to attend my patients. I’ll return back tomorrow to give you the next medicine. Jun, please change the dressing of his wounds and Dai, bring the next patient in.”

“Yes, Master!”

The two of them left while Jun smiled bitterly. “Please wait a moment, I need to bring the equipment.”

“Ah, it’s fine.”

The three of them left, leaving the siblings and Xiao Ren inside the room. Ye Ning looked at Xiao Ren curiously.

“How’s your feeling after drinking the medicine? Do you feel better now?”

Xiao Ren raised his head, meeting with Ye Ning’s gaze before him. He smiled faintly as if saying that there was no need to worry. Physician Hong had told him that he was not allowed to try speaking, so he would not dare to try.

“Good then.”

“Ning’er, you pick your room first. Xiao Ren and I will settle on the rest of the rooms that you didn’t pick.” Ye Lei pointed to the rooms.

Ye Ning nodded. “Brother, do we need to return back home?”

“What’s the use of going back?” Ye Lei asked back. “We’ll stay here.”

Hearing her brother’s decision, Ye Ning blinked her eyes in confusion. If they didn’t return back home, she was sure that the thugs would surely destroy their house. There was nothing very valuable there, though, aside from the grains that Ye Lei had traded with Fang Liu.

Ye Lei smiled and patted his sister’s head. “Rather than going back there, we’ll stay here for now. I’ll search for some job in city while you take care of Xiao Ren.”

“Ah, ok.”

Ye Ning recalled that Fang Liu also knew some odd jobs in the city, which could be used to find some work. Of course, she didn’t hope much for her brother.

Xiao Ren was still sitting on the chair as Jun returned back. He was holding a tray that has bandages and some herbs.

“I’ll open the bandages first, ok?”

Xiao Ren nodded.

Jun carefully cut open the bandages that Ye Ning plastered on the Xiao Ren’s body carefully. There were a lot of blades marking on Xiao Ren’s body to the point that Jun sucked a long breath. Right now, he was clear that this seemingly ordinary man was a veteran at battle. The wounds couldn’t be possibly made by blunt weapon.

It must be from swords or blades.

He might be guards or soldier. Considering the money that he brought, it was highly possible that he had high rank too.

“Brother Jun,” Ye Ning called out. “Are there some ingredients that I can use or do you know where the market is?”

Jun smiled. “I’ll bring some ingredients for you three. Can you cook?”

“Of course!”

“In that case, I’ll leave it to you to cook for your brother and friend.”

“Yes!” Ye Ning replied happily.

Jun continued to dress Xiao Ren’s wound carefully, making sure that there was no spot that he left behind. After he had finished, Jun returned back to his duties and gave some ingredients to Ye Ning, leaving the three of them behind.

“We’ll stay here to accompany you, Xiao Ren. You don’t mind, right?”

Xiao Ren looked up and noticed the sincerity in Ye Lei’s eyes. He slowly shook his head. Even though they were strangers, he felt the warmth from how these two siblings still want to care for him.

They were good people.

“That’s settled then. I’m going to help out here by cooking,” Ye Ning said happily.

Ye Lei looked at the ingredients and smiled. “In any case, let’s eat the meal that you have prepared first, Ning’er.”

“Ah, right.”

Xiao Ren smiled and took his portion from Ye Ning while his mind was still wondering about that physician. In any case, his biggest priority was to recover as fast as possible.

0