9-The Sinking Stone
291 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ZZZZZzzzzzzz……ZZZZzzzzz”

After an hour of contemplating the first time he had truly been on the receiving of a hug, Shogo simply went comatose on the cot in Lady Hana’s medical room. He didn’t bother walking to his bed in the guest room and neither did Lady Hana demand him to do it. It is now two hours away from sunrise, meaning the appointment for Shogo’s final training session with his sensei, Gengetsu, would soon be underway. However, it does not look like Shogo himself will wake up anytime soon…

Hanagetsuya POV

Sigh~

‘I had hoped he at least would have been able to wake himself up…’

I stare at the back of the little boy who had given me the beautiful necklace I currently wore. Shogo is cocooned in the sheets of medical cot with only the top of his hair barely visible. It looked so absolutely ridiculous that I couldn’t help but let a small chuckle escape. I felt a little bad about having to disturb his sound slumber but I’m sure I’d feel worse if Gengetsu kills him for being late.

“Shogo!”

I gently pull on his shoulder, hoping that would be enough to wake him up. The only reaction I receive is a quick jerk from him, rolling himself right back into his position facing away from me towards the wall.

“Shogo, you need to get up!”

I gently sake his shoulder but it barely elicits any response from him at all.

Sigh~

‘I really didn’t want to resort to this, but he needs to learn how to sleep more lightly anyway…’

Shogo POV

“ZZZZZZzzzzzz- “

*SSSPPLLSSHHH*

GASP!!!”

The coldness of the water all over my skin feels no different then getting stabbed by thousands of tiny needles. I can hear my heart pumping a mile per second as I look around for the person who conducted this vicious assault on my defenseless person so early in the morning. I feel no less than betrayed when I see Lady Hana standing in front of the door with an empty wooden bucket in her left hand. The sympathy in her eyes is visible so I can forgive her.

“I’m sorry, Shogo. But you need to learn to sleep lighter if you can ever hope to survive out in the field as a shinobi. Now hurry along and take a quick bath, I have already drawn the hot water for you. When your done some breakfast will be waiting on the dining room table downstairs for you.”

“...Thanks for the assist, “

Lady Hana nods at my response and leaves me sitting in a puddle. While I am profoundly grateful for all the help, she’s giving me, goddess knows I’ve never had any like it before, my only gripe is the surprise ice bath.

Fifty minutes later…

*BUURRRPPPP!!!*

I lean back and pat my full stomach after I sit aside an empty bowl on to the dining room table. I can definitely get used to eating breakfast like this every day. Scrambled eggs, pickles and lots of rice is a meal fit for a king in my opinion. It certainly beats all the unseasoned slightly burned fish I’ve been eating the last two years on that damn beach. It had been so long since the last time I had eaten rice that I ended up scarfing down three bowls without even thinking to save room for the other stuff. I’m so full right now, getting up might be a problem.

‘Maybe I can take a quick food nap?’

My hopes are dashed away as Lady Hana flicks my forehead and grabs my leftover dishes from the table,

“I hope you weren’t planning on going back to sleep, you need to be on your way in twenty or so minutes! Hurry up and gather your stuff, I took the liberty of purchasing you proper shinobi attire and its waiting for you on your bed along with that bizarre sword your purchased. When your done getting ready, meet me in the backyard. I want to demonstrate something to you with that sword you foolishly purchased yesterday.”

Foolishly! What do yo- “

“Do what I told you to do, child! The faster you do it the sooner I can show the reason behind my wording.”

Lady Hana’s stern look and sharp words make me shut my trap. I don’t know why I couldn’t muster up the will to be my usual defiant self. It might be because I am a bit startled at the idea that something might be wrong with the sword that I paid freaking one hundred thousand ryo to get! If I got ripped off, then that storekeeper is going to be ripped off too…

Ten minutes later…

I shift side to side nervously as Lady Hana stands in front of me slowly inspecting the blade of Demon Sword of Instant Death. When I told her the name and origin of the sword, she looked at me as if I had grown two heads and told me she could easily see that the blade couldn’t be more than two years old also has never seen any type of combat. That comment shocked me stiff and I’ve been waiting on her final verdict ever since. I am so nervous my new threads might be getting soaked with my sweat. Hana had bought me a black gakuran jacket, a black belt, baggy black pants that extend into black tabi socks, a pair of all black zōri sandals, bands of black cloth to be wrapped tightly around my calves, and finally ginormous haori with a grey, black and white pattern that I’ve never seen before. Lady Hana said the pattern is called camouflage, but I have difficulty understanding what the haori is supposed to blend in with, but she said I would understand when I go into the field. I chose to forego wearing it today because it seemed unnecessary for today and I didn’t want wear something with a huge Hozuki clan symbol on the back. All in all, these are some pretty awesome threads, I’m not even getting hot or anything. Also, it’s like they’re not even there because it is so easy to move around in them.

I return my thoughts to the sword. The anticipation is killing me! I have to know if the Demon Blade of Instant Death is the real deal! I watch as Lady Hana turns the blade repeatedly, looking top, bottom, front and back with a complicated look on her face that I cannot decipher as good or bad. Just as I am getting ready to tell her to hurry up, she finally tells me what her concerns about the katana,

“This is the sharpest piece of garbage I have ever seen in my seventy years on this Earth. Even the most talented and skilled swordsman in the world, would not be able to successfully use this blade in active combat. And that is why it is perfect for you! It-”

“You kept me waiting all this time just so you could insult me! Of all the no good-, “

Lady Hana had used two of her fingers to press my lips together forcing my mouth closed and me to stop talking. I glared at her, but the ferocity of her own glare made me look elsewhere.

“Do NOT interrupt me again. Am I clear?”

 I nod my head yes and she lets go of my lips then continues giving me her review of the blade,

“As I said before this blade cannot be used in active battle because it would shatter against anything durable with any small amount of force. The creator of this sword used a metal that is light and strong but also incredibly brittle for the core. You can even tell that they realized their mistake and tried to fix it by giving the blade a steel finish, but it only makes edge sharper than anything else.  However, this sword is perfect for efficiently killing humans as it would be able to quickly cut through flesh like water. Therefore, it is the perfect tool for you, whom has no swordsmanship training whatsoever, to use to dispatch an enemy quickly. Now you may speak.”

 “How is that possible?! I cut through another sword like it wasn’t even there at his shop and it didn’t shatter or anything!”

Lady Hana sighs then asks me a single question that makes my heart sink into my toes,

“He had you light press into the blade and not just swing full force, correct?”

My eyes widen as I nod because I finally realize that I had been duped and if it couldn’t get any worse, I even remember Tamari gave me a subtle warning in our conversation, 

*Flashback to Chapter 8*

The Shimizu lady’s gaze darkens as soon as the name of the place leaves my mouth and Tamari gives me a light warning,

“The Pearl huh? I want to suggest that you do not go there but I think it is best for shinobi children to learn by experience and not by word of mouth. I’ll let you find out why I think it’s a poor location for a young shinobi-in-training such as you. Do you need any money for your shopping spree, little cutie?”

As she finished her confusing warning, Tamari reaches down and pinches my right cheek before I can react, I nudge her hand away and take a step back while rubbing my throbbing cheek.

*Flashback End*

I slap my forehead with my palm as hard as I can, the pain is nothing compared to the rage I feel at myself for being tricked and that fucking old man for tricking me.

‘I’m going to cut off that asshole’s hands then make him eat them!’

I guess my face showed my rage and anguish because Lady Hana puts a hand on my shoulder in what I assume is an attempt to comfort me.

“Don’t worry Shogo. Your purchase is far from useless, just not what you intended. I will teach how to use this fragile blade when you come back from you last bit of training with Gen-boy. Take the sword that I put hanging up by the front door instead, that one should actually survive any contact with weaponry that is thrown at you for the time being.”

I mumble a thank you and turn around to start on my way the hill.

“Make sure you come back in one piece, Shogo!”

I look back in surprise at Lady Hana’s remark. I didn’t know if she said it because she was genuinely concerned with my wellbeing or if she just didn’t feel like patching me up again. Either way it was nice to know that I was welcome back in her home with hopefully all my limbs intact.

“I’ll try!”

I reply as I slide open the front door, step outside and close it behind me.

I move around my neck a little bit because it is still a bit stiff. Ninja magic works wonders for a broken neck apparently.

‘Really wish I didn’t have to learn through experience though…’

Just thinking about the experience makes me rub my neck in phantom discomfort. I can’t afford to take any more hits like that from that blonde gorilla. Avoiding injuries and death will be on the top of my priority list from now on especially if all shinobi can hit like that slap yesterday.

1 hour later…

*FWOOSHH* “huff…huff.” *FWOOSH*

I had arrived at my usual torture spot about 30-40 minutes early and I got a bit restless, so I started to practice swinging the katana that Lady Hana had given me. It looks like a standard katana, it had good length and the blade isn’t different colors. Also, it has an actual hilt on it unlike that piece of junk I bought from that dumpster fire of a store. The most major difference is that the weight of this katana is pretty heavy. I swing the sword in one direction and the momentum of the blade would sway me off balance in that direction. It is kind of frustrating, but I mitigate it by spreading my legs really wide in my stance. My arms are currently burning a bit from swinging this sword for so long. Where the hell is this guy-

“Ohhhhh what happened to your super cool sword. I hope I didn’t break it. Gahahahah.”

I couldn’t see him right now, but his laughter is grating my goddamn nerves. My fingernails are grinding into the palms of my hands as they clenched tight automatically at Gengetsu mockery. His obnoxious laughter continues for a second more then Gengetsu appears out of thin air right in front of me about two meters away.  It startles me a bit to see my worst nightmare just a pop up out of nowhere but at this point the emotion doesn’t work its way to my face and I continue to glare directly at him. Gengetsu’s ugly grin melts off his face into an equally ugly menacing scowl as he leans forward in my direction,

“Careful, brat. You’re looking at me like you want a little more than a broken neck!”

“tsk”

I suck my teeth at his threat and immediately direct my intense glare to ground below me. I didn’t want to be maimed so late into whatever the hell we have been doing here for the past week. I know that this “training” is supposed to lead up to something, but I don’t know what it is exactly. However, I do know that it is coming up in another week. While I don’t think I actually learn anything from this entitled bastard’s torture, I have definitely become stronger in this past hellish week. Above all else, I wanted to not only survive but become strong enough so shit like this could never happen to me ever again.

“That’s more like it! Never forget that it’s because of my good graces and Lady Hana’s healing that you’ve even survived up till this point. Now enough lollygagging, you must learn how to traverse the water properly. As you are now you will not last a second in combat out in open water.”

I look up at the blond fiend with disdain on my face,

“I can swim just fine- “

I feel the collar of my jacket get yanked back, choking me as my feet left the ground. Before I know it I’m soaring in the air, I am barely able to cover my head before I make hard contact with the middle of the lake. The pain and confusion take a few seconds to wear off as I sink into the lake. I start to swim to the surface as soon as my wits come about me and as my head gets above water, I take deep gasping breaths. I turn my head to the clearing only to see two of Gengetsu pointing and laughing at me. The sight made me grit my teeth to the point it hurt a bit.

"Gahahaha! Did your hair help you float or something? You just sunk like a rock. Maybe you shouldn't have let that old coot cut it all off hahah,"

I start to swim back to the shore to at least try and break his jaw.

"You're going to need to swim a helluva faster than that if you want to come out of there in one-piece kid! If not have fun getting poked full of holes!"

That comment made all of the anger flee my body and the anxiety began to take over. I stop swimming and begin to tread water. I frantically turn around and look in all around me. Anticipation builds up and my abdomen tightens as I don’t notice any obvious signs of danger in the water with me. It's right then that I become painfully aware of how deep the lake is, a familiar foreboding feeling encourages me to look into the water below. I duck my head into the water to see if my gut is once again correct.

"Blrub-bub-bub! (What the fuck is that?!)"

I see at least ten black spiky balloons looking things floating up from the depths of the lake heading straight for me. I begin frantically swimming away from surfacing balloons. I dip my head into the water to see if I avoided the balloons of death behind me. I see the balloons sitting ominously just below the surface of where I fled from, but they weren't actively chasing me anymore. Something moves slowly towards me in my peripheral vision, I immediately move away from the direction and catch sight of another balloon lurking awfully close to the point I could reach out and touch it. All the hair on my body simultaneously raises as the balloon rapidly expands, I scramble deeper into the lake as fast as I can away from it. I only manage to get a foot or so away from the balloon and then I suddenly feel the need to contort my body to avoid something coming from behind. I turn sideways and make my body as flat as possible while keeping my arms at my sides. There is a rush of multiple things flying by me on all sides, I catch brief flashes of metal in the sunlight coming from the surface. I feel some annoying stinging sensations in different regions around my body but nothing super alarming. I swim back up to the surface taking note of the floating ninja weapons on the surface as I get closer. My head broke the surface of the lake once more and I took deep breaths again,

“I’m surprised you survived that first one, hahaha! Be grateful that I ordered some of the famous splash balloons all the way from Uzushiogakure, just so you could get some exercise! Aren’t I the best- “

I plunge my head back underwater so I can be ready if any more of those damn balloons try to sneak up on me, it is an added bonus that I simultaneously block out that jackass spouting all of his bullshit.

Gengetsu POV

“-sensei ever?”

*SPLLSSHH*

‘HEEYYYY!!!! That little shit didn’t let me finish again! Well that brat made a big mistake leaving his back exposed to me…’

With a point of my finger, I fire a weak shot of the Water Gun technique just under the left shoulder of the brat to accelerate this training process and to cause a bit of pain. I chuckle a little as Shogo seizes up in the water and grabs at his back with a shout. He turns around and glares at me for a moment then he returns to searching for the balloons that are no doubt floating towards his chakra signature that should be pulsating now. As I predicted, the balloons have begun to encroach on my pupil’s position faster due to my small attack. Shogo visibly shook from seeing the balloons and begins a futile attempt to swim away from the balloons. He was only able to out swim them in the first encounter because they had yet to lock on to his chakra signature, now that they had locked on to him, they will be tracking him like ravenous sharks.

‘Now to see if the brat can figure out how to use his chakra move faster underwater. He can use it well enough on land to enhance his natural athleticism but that will not be enough to survive in the field. And despite all his wit and raw talent, Shogo first and foremost needs to be able to survive…’

30 minutes later…

‘OKAY! This is getting old fast! How did this fucking brat last this long without using any chakra?! Its absurd! I’ve been watching him zig zag around the lake for his life for about half an hour already, why hasn’t he gotten tired yet?! No matter, it seems I’ll have to give this whole thing a little push once again.’

I level my index finger at the balloon in the forefront of the makeshift balloon snake chasing after the frantically swimming child with my thumb sticking up vertically toward the air. I adjust my aim slightly and let loose another shot of my Water Gun technique at the balloon then I watch as the balloon expands slowly. The pop occurs after a few seconds and all the ones behind it violently explode releasing all the kunai packed inside each of them. There must be at least three hundred pointy kunai flying in all directions. I keep my eyes on Shogo while I causally let the metal fly through my liquified body to see if he will become a human porcupine or evade them by finally using of his chakra.    

Shogo POV

‘SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHHHHIIIIITTTTT!!!!’

I keep scrambling in the water trying to get to find a way to ditch these balloons of death, but they followed me so stubbornly. I started to zig-zag as I swam away from the spiky balloons because I noticed they were slowly surrounding me when I committed to going in one direction. My arms, legs, and lungs are burning, I won’t be able to keep this up for long at all. Maybe I can make the balloons ram into each other while making sure to stay out of the blast zone.

*Pssssshhhhh! *

I hear a loud hiss behind me notifying to me that air is being let out from one of the balloons chasing me meaning I need to get the fuck out of dodge, and I get a shiver down my spine. The air in my lungs hitches and after taking a deep breath I immediately start swimming down as fast as I can. I only have two to three seconds at most to get far enough away so that I won’t get completely skewered by the ninja weapons that are going to go rocketing out of the explosion that is bound to come.

The water that I had grown to love in my youth was now betraying me. It feels like I am barely moving in the densest of syrups, progressing forward just as much as I go backward. No matter how much I flail my arms and kick my legs, the snail’s pace with which I moved to the bottom of the lake didn’t change probably due to the immense amount of fatigue currently in my limbs. I can still see the expanding black balloon about twenty feet behind me, this terrifying moment moves in slow motion as I look back to the surface then to the safe zone at least 40 feet below me. A wave of pure desperation washes over me, my rapid heartbeat being the only thing I could hear now.

A familiar pulling sensation starts in the pit of my stomach. It feels like the very water around me starts to heat up and my frantic struggle to reach the bottom of the lake becomes a little easier.

*SPPLSHH! SPLSHHH-SPLSSH-SPPLSSH! *

I as soon as I hear the first balloon pop then set of the symphony of the other balloons exploding my muscle tense and I feel an energy furiously undulate through my body. I feel metal cut into my shoulder, back and thigh but I burst out all the energy from the bottom of my feet and it sends me rocketing forward. The gravel on the floor of the lake is becoming visible and I am getting close fast. The speed I am going at made it hard to maneuver my torso and legs in front of me, so I wound up just forcing my arms in front of my face and turning to the side. Hopefully, the impact would not be that damaging on my left shoulder.  

‘Fuck! This is going to hurt like a bitc- ‘

*CRRAAAKKK! *

Pain exploded down my entire left side and my head is ringing. I blink away spots in my vision and it takes a few moments for eyes to readjust to the darkness of the bottom of the lake. I look up and I see the floating ninja sharp tools floating to the lake floor slowly but not exactly harmlessly. I make sure to keep my distance from their downward paths, no need to get more injured then I no doubt already am  as I take not of the numerous stinging sensation across my body and the blood floating up to the surface.  I must get back up to the surface because I lost nearly all the air I gathered right before I dived on the surface due to the impact. I managed to not swallow any water yet somehow, but I didn’t want to risk being down here any longer because of how far from the surface I currently am.  I push off the gravel and try to start swimming however I notice that my left arm isn’t moving like I want it to, in fact my fingers are numb. I turn an inspect my shoulder only to immediately turn back around in order to avoid panic at the involuntary relocation of my shoulder.

I bury all the panic and disgust underneath my need for air as I continue kicking and clawing my way to the surface. Swimming with one arm is harder than I thought. It looks like I’m going nowhere near the surface any time soon if I continue trying to swim without the use of an entire arm. After coming to the realization that only way I won’t wind up suffocating is to use whatever that freaky power was earlier. I still feel it coursing through my body a bit, but I don’t get how to use it. I try to concentrate on it through the panic and fear to no avail. Then I remember how it felt when I used it to get down here in the first place. The energy felt like a wave coursing through my bones and down to my toes and the cause of the wave started in my stomach.

‘Fuck it,’

I let go of all the air I held in my lungs, bubbles formed all around me and disappeared almost as quickly as they were created. All of my precious air was gone and now the pressure is on. I swallow the lake water in my mouth while I put as much effort as possible into clenching my abdomen as hard as I can. My diaphragm feels its about to explode but I feel the energy in me rising almost bubbling under my skin. My starts to scream for oxygen but I continue clenching until I feel the pull in my stomach then I let go of everything. The result is instantaneous, I feel a force rocket out from the bottom of my heels and propel my body through the water. Before I know it my head crashes through the surface and my body continues well over it. I take big gulps of air while looking all around me, relief washes over me as I see my feet dangle in the air while I continue to climb higher and higher. Soon I’m over the tree line and I can barely beneath me because of the thick mist covering the lake below me. My ascent grinds to a slow halt and it is only then that I realize I might have put myself in an even worse situation,

“God damnit….”

Sighhhhhhhh~

“AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!”

I flailed my only working arm trying to desperately extend my time in the air as immense pain and probable death awaited me on the surface.

Gengetsu POV

‘Hmmmmmm…... not how I expected this to go but he technically did what I wanted him too. I guess its on to Phase 2 then hehehe….’

I watch as Shogo flails with one arm in the air trying to right himself in the air before impact, I would imagine but he is doing a really poor job of it,

‘He must be injured since he is only using his right arm. I wonder how he managed to do that? I had better give him a little help as a reward for completing my exercise in such a timely fashion. Also, it wouldn’t do for him to go splat on my clan’s ancestral lake now would it?’

Omake:

??? POV

Inside the Pearl the night before…

“Heheheheh,”

‘I am the greatest salesman on this entire island, hell the entire country!’

I had managed to swindle a total of six dumbasses yesterday into buying useless junk that my son and I manages to scrounge up from around the island. Counted out all the money I had received from the aspiring or cheap ninjas that sauntered into my store today. Taking broken and discarded ninja tools from the trash of those wasteful ninja then repurposing them by hammering them out. It was way easier to make a profit this way then making your weapons from scratch. I refuse to break my back creating shit like my father did only for these ingrates that walk into this dumpster looking for cheap prices completely ignorant to the quality. These assholes don’t know the difference if you just fudge the details a little with some fiction and grandeur. My masterpiece had to be that loudmouth brat that burst in here today. 100,000 ryo in cold hard cash for that piece of junk sword that my son made on his first try three years ago. Despite the sword being a resounding failure, my son still sharpened it everyday without missing a beat. Part of me thinks he continued to mess with it out of spite for my harsh critique, but I couldn’t afford to let my son continue making stupid mistakes like that blade with our limited supply.

I feel a finger tap me on my left shoulder causing me to unconsciously grip the money in my hand tighter. I look over my left shoulder to spot my dim-witted but hard-working son staring at the money in my hand without a care. Matsu is my thirteen-year-old son and he is the reason that I can get away with using my sliver tongue to swindle people at the front desk. He is the one that fixes up all the trash we pull from around the island and makes them mildly usable. I started him blacksmithing when he turned ten and by letting him make the sword, he wanted then I completely tore apart the chemistry of the blade. Making sure to explain to him what he did wrong and not to do it again. I didn’t give him a demonstration by breaking the blade like my dad did my first sword because the kid worked so hard on it I didn’t have the heart to do it. After that one session, Matsu hasn’t made not one mistake yet. It kind of freaked me out the first year but after a while I just stopped checking over his work in order to preserve my sanity.

The thirteen-year-old was tall and barrel shaped with had long unkempt black hair. Matsu’s eyes were narrow enough to nearly hide his teal pupils completely and his skin almost as pale as a sheet of paper. His complexion had become fairer over the years due to the ungodly hours Matsu put into his blacksmithing work. The dark bags under his eyes contrasted with Matsu’s skin so much anybody besides those who know him would think him sickly. Never had I seen Matsu so driven before he started taking up the hammer, it puzzles me as to why he shows such dedication but honestly it makes me proud.

Matsu turned his severe eyes on me and speaks up,

“Wow that’s a lot of cash right there, pop. What did you sell to get that much in one day?”

“I sold two swords, three sets of shuriken, five curved kunai, and a pack of fifty senbon,”

That’s it? For that much money you would have had to sell a ton more!”

Sigh~

“I managed to sell that piece of junk sword you keep on fiddling with everyday to some dumb kid for 100,000 ryo! You should praise your father for being such an amazing salesman! We’re going to eating some of that pink salmon the daimyo loves today! Heheheh,”

Despite all the money in my hand, my son’s mood visibly deflates at the news that I sold his sword. It kinds of peeves me off that he’s kind of making me feel bad about making all this money.

“Get over- “

*Knock* *Knock*

“Hello! Is this fine establishment the Pearl?”

The sudden interruption startles me but I recovery at the mockery in the voice in the front of the shop,

“We’re closed! Get out of here, jackass- “

 As I turn my head to give the source of the voice a piece of my mind, my eyes nearly pop out of my head when tall blond figure grabs the collar of my yukata and pulls me forward. My heart nearly stops as I recognize the dark beady eyes and blond gelled back hair.

“You didn’t answer my question. IS. THIS. THE. PEARL?”

With those menacing words he lets go of my robes and stares down at my face,

“A-aah y-yes, Lord Hozuki. Deeply sorry for my attitude!”

I make sure to bow when I give my apology,

‘What the fuck! Why is him of all people here?!’

The Hozuki clan was known for their brutality when dealing with the normal citizens around the island. The clan members never did anything unprovoked admittedly but when they retaliated it was always a permanent lose on the other party part. They never really interacted with non-shinobi unless they’re crossed and now the head of the clan just waltzed into my shop. I must protect my son no matter what happens.

The severe look on Lord Hozuki’s face, melts away to reveal a blood curdling smile,

“Apology accepted! But I have another problem that only you and I can solve my good sir! Would you kindly tell the young man behind the counter to give us some privacy?”

I shakily nod my head and turn around to gesture my head toward the back in front of my son. Matsu seemed to not want to leave but I give him a shove toward the back to hurry him to safety. With my son out of immediate danger, I turn back around to the monster smiling at me behind the counter.

“Good! Now we can get down to business!”

The young clan head said with a clap of his hands,

“You sir! Are quite the salesman!”

The sudden compliment took me off guard,

“T-thank you for your praise, Hozuki-sama,”

“No need to thank me. I’m just giving praise where it’s due. However, today your savvy sales skills put us both in a bind. Because somebody affiliated with my clan came into your shop today and was rightfully ripped off by your sliver tongue. While I do think you taught an important lesson to the young shinobi, sadly it just wouldn’t do for the image of my clan if I didn’t punish you for the less than honest transaction.”

My heart stilled at his words and I can’t remember any Hozuki walking through the threshold of my store today no matter how hard I raked my brain.

“There must be a mistake- “

“Nope no mistake. Skinny dark skin kid in the dark blue robes. Ring a bell… “

The widening of my eyes gave my recognition away,

“Yeah you know him, the kid is my apprentice. I thought it would have been common knowledge by now, but I guess not all the common folk are in range of Tamari’s gigantic mouth. So on with the punishment-,”

My whole entire world is spinning at the reveal that I had swindled the apprentice of the second most powerful clan head on the island.  I feel like throwing up but the question the powerful man in front of me asked causes me to pause.

“So, righty or lefty?”

I think heard the question wrong because I don’t really get what I’m supposed to answer,

“W-what?”

The blonde man gives me a long sigh in reply,

“Why do people never listen to me when I ‘m about to say something cool? Well I am just going to pick for you. You seem like a righty to me...”

*SSSHHHHNNKKKK! *

“H-huh…... AHHHHHHHHH!!”

I grab the stump where my left hand used to be and fall to the floor convulsing,

“Alright well the punishment has been served. Pretty quick and painless right? I would get to a doctor pretty quick if you want to stop the bleeding, civilian doctors should be able to do that much. Be glad I didn’t take your primary hand. My father would have just burned your entire store down with you and your family in it. Aren’t I way nicer?”

“Gahhhh! I’m a lefty!”

I say through my gritted teeth while I lay bleeding out on the floor,

“Ohhh… Well you should’ve told me that when I asked you!”

7