Chapter 58 – Renewed Confidence
2.7k 5 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moving up the stairs, I can see Gong, Ai, and Lin speaking with each other, as I had noticed through my scan.

In an attempt to be friendly, I force a smile and say “Good morning!”

They all appear a little confused at my greeting, but Gong gives a smile and says, “Good morning,” back.

Ai and Lin hesitate, look at each other, but then repeat it, as well. Ai seems to relax a little, but Lin is still appearing apprehensive.

 

Strange, maybe this culture doesn’t have a regular welcome greeting.

“How’s the planning coming along? I hope you guys received my message regarding the potential improvements for the secret farm.”

Gong speaks up, “Yeah, it was actually pretty helpful. Based on our estimates, we should be able to fit a few more plants into the area than we thought. Growth-wise, we’ll have to see.”

Awesome, I’m glad it could help.

“That’s great to hear.”

The silence that follows is a little awkward. I cough to alleviate it a bit.

“Well, I don’t want to interrupt you guys any further. I’ll be heading to the main market. And you don’t have to worry, I’ll be able to navigate my way through to get there safely.”

Automatically, two of the three’s eyes narrow, while Gong puts a hand to her forehead.

 

Gong asks first, “Do you know the way to get there safely?”

Lin looks like she wants to ask something, but holds her tongue until I answer.

 

I think quickly through the best route, using my ‘intuition’ and come to an answer.

I speak it aloud, before I consciously process what I’m saying.

“Of course. With the bracelet, the safest direct route to the main area would be the Yellow Sashe…”

I shudder to a stop as I see the intensity that Ai and Lin are looking at me with. Ai in particular is giving me the most disturbing look. One that seems to stare straight through me, as if looking past me.

A look at Lin shows her teeth gritted before she bites her lip and looks away. Arms crossed.

Ai is almost unblinkingly looking at me.

Unnerving.

 

Gong notices this strange dynamic, but seems slightly confused at their reactions. Her mouth then opens slightly with a “oh.”

I feel the need to defend myself.

Before I can open my mouth, Gong says, “Ahem. You aren’t wrong on that, but you’ll have to be as careful of them, as with anyone else. They may be our allies, but that doesn’t mean you can trust them. At the end of the day… they are still a gang. One that typically helps their people and others, but a gang, nonetheless.”

Lin briefly opens her mouth, only to close it immediately after.

 

I’m not sure what she wanted to say, but do I want to know at this point?

Sigh…

Yeah. I should check.

 

“Were you going to ask something, Lin?”

“… no.”

“…”

“…”

“… Okay, always feel free to ask me anything. I’ll always try to make time for you guys.”

 

I can see her shake a little at my words, one of her hands clenched onto the pocket of her clothes.

She gives a nod.

 

Well. That’s the best I can do at this point. Or at least, the best that I know how to do.

Getting up, I begin heading to the main entrance, when I hear a question from behind me. It’s from Lin.

“W-what are you going for?”

 

I turn back to look at the three of them.

“When I first g…woke up in the city, an old man had helped me immensely to figuring out the basics of where I was. I wanted to go back and see if I could pay my respects to him, especially since we are in a better place now. The safest way I could figure out, is through their area.”

 

I pause.

“I… didn’t want to cause too much more trouble for you guys. While still holding to my commitments, of course.”

Ai sucks in a breath of cold air. Her eyes, which were previously narrowed, widen slightly.

 

Lin blinks and releases a breath, “Oh… okay then.”

 

Ai flashes a look at Lin, before her eyes narrow back at me.

My eyes land on Gong, who has a curious look on her face, but says nothing.

Wait a second.

Can’t Gong smell lies? That must mean that she knows that I’m not saying everything about how I got here.

Either she’s being considerate or she trusts me enough to assume it won’t hurt them.

 

Huh.

Now that I think about it… I don’t know much about these women at all. I definitely feel close to them, but what might they be hiding as well?

At that moment that I think this, Gong’s eyes meet mine. She gives a small comforting smile.

I guess this is good enough for now. As long as things stay the same between us, there is a good amount of time to learn more.

I hope.

 

Thus, I turn to head out again to the entrance.

 

When I just reach the limit of the interior, I feel a mote of hair float upon my shoulder.

Gong leans over and whispers in my ear, “Before you go… you should know that ‘good morning’ is something usually reserved for family, friends who are like family, and… spouses. Saying that to us, means you consider us family or like husband and wives. Normally, you would just say ‘hello’ or ‘how is your morning going’?”

I pause, mid-step. My foot upon the precipice of the entryway.

Ah. That explains their reaction earlier.

She gives a little giggle, “I’m fine with it, though I was surprised that Ai and Lin said it back. Though… maybe I shouldn’t be.”

Hmm… that must mean that she doesn’t know about the conversation between Lin and Ai. I don’t think she would make a joke about something like that, if she knew what they were thinking.

She pauses before preparing to continue.

 

But she stops.

Her mouth opens and closes, as if she can’t find the right words. I feel her hair drift off of me, causing me to look back at her.

Her arms wrapped around themselves, with one hand on the line separating her two halves.

A pause and a moment between us. We stand here in silence, as I wait to hear her words.

She finally speaks after a time.

“There’re many things we… people do not talk about.

“We all have something that hurts us, something we want to do… things that we want to avoid.

“I-I don’t know your struggles or what all that you can or want to do. All I can say to you, is to try to work through it, as best you can. That’s all we can do, especially since we have so little chance to actually do something about it.”

Silence echoes around us.

 

Why is…?

 

“Just… just try to make the best decisions you can. To be careful. And if you think you might need it, there’s a spider near the entrance, if you want to take it along.”

I feel a breath of air come out of her, as the soft rhythm of her feet hitting the cushioned web floor, seemingly resounds in my ears. She turns, moving back into the depths of the cave.

As I turn around to look at her, walking away, I realize that my foot has already crossed the border between the interior and exterior. In and out.

 

I’m making a distinct choice here. Though, I’ve made several decisions already.

To go and find this old man.

To begin to start doing things, instead of reacting. To take control of my own situation. To take conscious actions.

… To heal people, if I’m able.

 

I don’t know what I’m doing.

Hell, I don’t know what I’m thinking half the time. It will take a while to get used to this world.

Nonetheless, there are some things in this world that I can’t overlook. If that makes me a fool, I’ll be a fool with a good conscious.

 

As I look back up, Gong is already gone from my sight.

 

“Wel… I guess I’m outside.” I whisper to myself, stepping through.

 

 

 

Just a reminder. If you'd like to see up to 16 chapters ahead of the public release, check out my Patreon below!

124