Chapter 98 – Intent to Entice
2.1k 3 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I finish checking over the entire group, to make sure that everyone is taken care of, I notice Jenn being brought up through the tunnels with my scan.

She runs over to us into a few people that were healed early on. In fact, she immediately runs over to the first person I healed, the one with the previously missing arm and neck wounds.

Clasping his hands in hers, she is talking excitedly to him, clearly relieved that he’s alright.

 It’s fantastic that Gong had the spiders wrap up their wounds and bandage people up.

We were able to make a difference here. But if we hadn’t got here in time… It’s probably best not to think of that.

The group is going around talking with each other, sharing the horrors of their experiences during the attack. What I hear brings my spirits down to an all-time low.

Even though most of the people were saved since the time Gong had used the spiders to defend people, by then, many hundreds of people had already died.

Apparently, the cultivators had already wiped out two other spots before reaching there. It only took 10 minutes for Gong to find out about what was happening, mobilize the spiders to rescue and protect people, and then actually work with me to have the healing aspect added.

Within that time, they had fought in the highest density demi human area and started moving from there. Apparently, the fires were from them unleashing some extremely powerful fireballs at each other, which combined into a massive explosion.

Most demi humans in the area survived, but many of them had died either instantly or had escaped with others. Many of the demi-humans we have here been the ones that couldn’t get away or stayed behind to protect them. Demi humans in the other areas caught on to the pattern of destruction and escaped from the usual areas. Only a hundred survived to this point.

Even for the demi humans, who are typically the downtrodden of society, the blatant attack done by the cultivators shocked them. Though it’s not openly said, it appears the assumption is that the Vermilion Stripes had something to do with it.

 Some of them seem to be in a state of shock. Mostly kids. Some adults have a bit of a glassy look, but seem to be more used to this sort of thing. It’s unfortunate, but some kids also have this glassy look.

It’s a stark reminder that my healing can only really take care of the smallest aspect of psychological changes.

My scan picks up in the distance, some spiders leading at least 30 demi humans to this location. Taking a quick look at Gong, who gives me a reassuring nod, it appears these are people she wants to join the group.

The majority of the people in this group are women and children, with the higher ratio going to women. Out of the kids, there’s a mix of younger and older children. In terms of the three groups, men make up less than a third of the group.

For some reason, this generally corresponds to the same ratios that are in the main group.

I can also see within the group, the fox kid and her parents, that were saved during the previous cultivator attack. They seem to be purposefully keeping a low profile.

The parent’s eyes search until they find me. They intently look at me and bow slightly. They subtly touch their daughter’s shoulder, who also turns to look and bows a little.

I’m glad they made it.

Gong comes over and gives me the indicator that she is about to start.

Almost as she’s done this before, she looks at some of the bigger demi humans in the crowd, gesturing for them to help gain people’s attention.

Clearing her throat, she says, “All right everyone, many of you are likely wondering why we’ve spent resources trying to help you at this time. Why we are using things such as healing potions, that can repair injuries on the level of replacing entire arms. Especially, since potions and elixirs of that type, would normally never be used on people who essentially have no benefit to someone with that level of ability. Even more so, for demi humans like us.”

She looks each demi human in the front, directly in the eyes.

“Because I believe each of you is worth it. Not because of what someone else has told you was worth. But that you have the same value as any human out there. The same ones that are receiving free food and medical treatment, at this very moment.”

A rumble goes through the crowd of people. Tinges of anger, but mostly surprise ripple throughout the group.

Those are some bold words, Gong. From what I can gather, demi humans are consistently on the bottom. Those are words of a revolution. Which could tip off our enemies.

Through the connection, Gong can feel my worry rising. She gives me a reassuring look through a glance and a smile. She continues on, with an even stronger voice.

“I’m not going to tell you that I don’t want anything from you. There’s no reason for me to lie to you about that. Not like the Vermillion Stripes, who give food and treatment, but then expect loyalty afterward.

“No. I’m asking. We need people we can trust. As many of you likely have already seen and heard, we are building safer areas for demi humans. Places where you can live, grow, and not be scared for yourself or those you care about. Though in some ways it pains me to say this, they did not dare attack anywhere within our walls. From what I’ve been able to gather, this is purposeful. It is safer within the walls, than outside.”

As she continues to speak, a third of the spiders out here had returned to their cavern homes. And they appear to be frantically mating.

Ah… what did I say about increasing their numbers too much?

Though, we did just lose quite a few of them before I started healing. Well… With all the healing I’ve done, it shouldn’t be an issue now. My mana levels are pretty bonkers right now.

Her voice snaps me back to the current speech.

“Beyond that, though? We need people who are willing to take the extra step to safeguard that. To make sure we are equipped to make sure those around us are taken care of.”

At this, several women step forward, seemingly hesitantly. With my scan, I can tell from their micro movements that this may have been somewhat planned.

Gong smiles at them, her back straightening.

“It’s not only the strong, that we need. We need those who can support. Those who can grow with the group. By learning from our mistakes and making it better.”

She looks toward some of the kids from the group that had come to this area. Most of them step forward excitedly, with some looking apprehensive.

I’m not sure what she told them, but based on how scrawny they look, it likely involves food.

Near the back of the group of kids, I can see one of the demi human kids that typically ran jobs for her. He seems to have, who I assume to be his much older sister, with him.

I’m not actually sure that they came with the group that Gong brought…

My attention shifts back to Gong as she continues speaking.

“It’s not just responsibility that you shall receive, if you join us. We will always make sure you’re fed and have water to drink…”

At these words, even the people who already seemed to know what they were getting into froze. This is huge for people who have almost never had a consistent source of food.

What I think probably shocked everyone the most was the ‘always.’ Those are some strong words to throw out.

Gong seems to notice the change in the atmosphere, as she doubles down on her statement.

 

“Yes. You heard me correctly. You will always be fed and have clean water to drink, if you formally join our group.”

There’s a silence. Something akin to squeaking happens in the back of the healed group. A little boy pulls his older sister with him to the front.

Everyone’s eyes turn to them.

 

… Isn’t this that kid I healed, near the beginning of this?

 

 

Just a reminder. If you would like to see up to 16 chapters ahead, check out the link to Patreon below!

96