Chapter 136 – A Tired Response
1.6k 7 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With my scan in a new and powerful state, I feel pretty confident about being able to track any spies that might watch me. In fact, I've maintained the same distance I had on my scan, while increasing the amount and quality of the information I'm receiving.

I've always received good information, but now that I'm learning what I need to actually look for, I feel much more prepared in stopping any unfortunate circumstances from happening.

Case in point. Almost immediately, from the time when I had left, I was being followed by multiple individuals. I'm not just talking like 3 people. At least 12 different individuals are tracking my every movement.

And all at different distances, too.

 Luckily for me, it appears they have different interests.

Two of them are just normal spies for the area. Which sounds weird, but is pretty normal for cities like this. People that see something interesting, and are using the information to give to someone else. Somewhat similar to what the young demi human children did for Gong.

 The other four seem to be some combination of spies for young masters, Shui and potentially others. One of them is that other young master, with the discerning eyes. He's been keeping his eyes locked on me, and had to be a little closer than the others to maintain that.

There are also two benign groups, both of whom are clearly just prospective sect members that want to establish a relationship with me.

One of them is the young masters and ladies’ group, comprising two guys and four girls. My scan shows that while they have hidden weapons and items on them, their body language is showing more of a hopeful and frankly inquiring nature to their actions.

I suppose my showing of strength against the young master might have attracted these individuals, to potentially either gather information or become part of my ‘faction’ of sorts.

 I sort of get the same feeling from that beautiful man I had met earlier, In a much different sense. He seemed to be more focused on my alchemist abilities.

This young master and ladies’ group seems to stick together mainly to keep themselves safe and also provides some sort of mental security for themselves.

This group is super easy to lose.

All it takes for them to lose me is some movement from a nearby shady alley to stop them in their tracks and hesitate. After some bickering between themselves, they head back to the safe houses.

The other benign group isn't so easy to lose. This is the group of people who come from a similar background to Ai and Lin. Scrappy individuals who will do anything and everything to get ahead from where they are. These are actually two women, both dark-haired and scrawny, but also clearly athletic.

 No matter which way I turn or move, I can't seem to lose them at all.

Not wanting to risk another situation like what happened with that one woman, I bear through the pain and raise my scan into the smallest amount over a longer time as they continue to chase me.

Finally, this scanning tactic appears to work.

With only a tiny increase in pain, I'm able to gather information about them over the next 20 minutes.

What helped with the pain is that it appears they really… have done little.

 Or to be more specific, not much of what they've been able to do hasn’t been a secret. Similar to Ai, they've successfully used whatever methods they could to gather information. Part of that was attempts to become cultivators.

 After finding out where the entry portion would be, they took the chance and hopped into the carriage.

 The reason that more people with nearly nothing to lose don't join the sect or similar ones, is because of the rumors that people below a certain ‘station’ will be snatched up and sold to demonic cultivators or used in horrific experiments.

A rumor that was, unfortunately, somewhat accurate. There are groups and individuals in this sect that do not act ‘righteously.’ It doesn’t really happen now, but there’s always the possibility of it just being more of a secret process.

The fact they are seeking me out means they know what they want to do and had planned to attach themselves to someone who might be sympathetic to them.

 Unfortunately for me, they are… somewhat correct.

I'm honestly surprised at the distance that they're following me at. They seem to have really gotten the skill of tracking where a person is gone in an urban environment. A skill which I take for granted by using my scan.

 Sadly, this seems to be a pretty normal skill for people in their standing.

I think I have learned everything I needed.

Coming to a decision, I quickly come to a stop and backtrack, causing most of the hidden followers to pause and start retreating. Even young master Shui’s group heads away quickly, potentially scared of my (admittedly) monstrous speed.

 

The two women are the only ones who don't do so and stand their ground. They’ve seen that some others that were watching are retreating. And still stayed.

We are essentially alone out here. With everyone else gone, I head on a beeline towards them.

I notice on my approach, the two of them seem to have a vastly different relationship than what Ai and Lin have.  

Where Ai and Lin obviously seemed like sisters, but with an unbalance in the relationship between the two, these two seem equal and much more independent of each other. I get the feeling that they're together because it's more convenient and in some ways, they can trust each other better.

Based on their history, I have no doubt that they would step over each other, if it meant they could have an opportunity at the cost of the other. I'm not so sure they would actively betray each other. Just take opportunities over the other person. Leaving bad situations without regard for the other person, other than giving empty words.

Which is a pretty good sign of what the type of people they are.

Honestly, they remind me a lot of corporate America. Most people won’t backstab others without reason. But if it comes between you and them for a promotion… many people would take the promotion for themselves. Other than that, you can be work friends with them.

 With this thought in mind, I continue. On their person they have few knives, as well as some other tools and such. They seem to have no intent to use it, unless provoked.

I'm really glad I used my scan in this way. It makes guessing at people’s intentions a lot easier. However, I'm not sure I would have been able to handle this if my scan hadn't grown to the point it has now.

Soon enough, I arrive in front of them, with them looking tense and me making sure to look relaxed.

“So, I see you've been following me for quite a while. Am I safe to assume that you wanted something from me?”

 Though I may seem relaxed, my body is primed for an attack from any angle.  

The truly difficult thing is to make sure that I don't view them as threats despite being ready for them to become one. The memory of being suddenly stabbed by that woman suddenly stays in my mind like a specter. Clouding my perception of people.

 Irrespective of my thoughts, they do actually speak.

With a gulp and a bow of her head, the one on the left, who has raven colored hair and sunken eyes, says, “H-hello Young Master, we apologize for our disrespect and taking up your time.”

They seem to have some knowledge of how to address people like this. Though it is a little shaky. It wouldn’t make sense to approach a young master, let alone like this. The only reason would be to give them a gift, hoping to gain favor.

And what could they give? Especially to match most young masters’ statuses.

Though… that’s why they are likely talking to me.

 Their next words confirm my thoughts.

“We were hoping to accompany you in some way, if you were willing to take us. In any way that you would wish.”

I say something stupid, irritated at the common response.

“And what if it were to use you as pawns, things to be thrown away?”

I can’t help but to sniff at the thought of using someone in such a way.

Unfortunately, this only gives an even worse image.

The two of them freeze in place at my words, with the brunette woman on the right’s hand twitching towards her hidden knife. They both twitch at my sniff, likely viewing it as derision.

Ugh. Me and my big mouth. I know where it comes from, though.

 I’m tired of this same thing happening. People using each other. Stepping over each other. Sacrificing themselves and others to gain even the slightest advantage.

… I’m tired of it.

 

The facade I’ve been holding up since I disguised myself falls apart.

 I give a sigh and I can feel my shoulders drop slightly. They seem even more wary of these actions of mine.

 

“Look, I’m tired, so I’ll make this easier for you guys.”

I could hear a pin drop, it’s so silent.

 

“You guys can join me, but I don’t want to hear anything about doing ‘anything for me’ or the like. It’s obvious you guys have had rough lives and you shouldn’t to go through more shit like that, if you don’t need to. I’ll help you guys out where I can, though I can’t do much at this point.”

They stare at me dumbfoundedly.

Hmm… that was probably way too straightforward. And a too modern way of speaking.

… it’s probably too late at this point. Might as well minimize the damage, while maintaining this style of speaking.

I continue.

“Uh… keep this conversation a secret, by the way. Not everyone needs to know I’m helping you guys.”

They mechanically nod. Still in shock.

“Alright. I’m going to take care of some things. See you guys later, then.”

I walk away for a bit before I hear one of them stutter out something.

“W-w-what do you want us to do, though?”

I think to myself for a moment before speaking.

“Just stay in the rooms until you have to move onto the evaluation. We’ll take things from there. If something happens, let Mei Lin know that you’ve talked with me. We may not be able to do much, but that should help a little.”

I start walking away again before turning back.

“What were your names again?”

The brunette says her name is Chen, while the raven hair is Ju. They have no surname.

With that done, I rush off.

 

I do have a tamed bug follow them, just in case.

 

Okay. Now I can finally start healing people.

 

At a distance.

A really far distance.

 

Like really. This time for sure.

 

God help me.

 

 

 

 

Look. There's some really mediocre chapters in the Patreon. Funny stuff. Check it out.

 

 

Just as a reminder, if you would like to see up to 16 chapters ahead of the public release, come check out my Patreon!

 

If you have the time, please consider making a positive written review on this site. They really help with getting more people interested in my work.

Thanks for reading my work!

82