Chapter 185 – Sweating Intensifies
1.2k 3 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Remaining in the fetal position, I can still feel the spiritual sense of the guards wash over me.

 As time has passed, and their emotions have settled, it appears they’re doing the smart thing and ascertaining what is going on with me.

This is quite bad for me.

 With the level of the sense that they haven me, as well as the situation that they saw in front of them, it will be clear to them I have some sort of self-healing ability. They will also be able to tell that I haven’t formally started into cultivation just yet, which would have at least given me the option of using my cultivation method as an excuse.

 With this, it is more likely they will realize that I have a healing constitution of some sort. And a powerful one at that, as I was able to almost instantaneously heal from clearly deadly wounds.

 This is pretty terrible because that now means that the alchemy Guild will know that I can heal this quickly. They will understand why I survived their assassination attempt.

 And even worse, they may come up with plans on how they could use me as a test subject. Foreign alchemist, having a self-healing test subject would be the best thing you could ask for, as you could determine just how bad a poison would be. Alternatively, they could just try to torture me to get information and see how they could replicate the ability.

 Last idea would be for a particularly resourceful cultivator to take over my body, to gain access to the ability.

 Obviously, since the ability is tied to my soul instead of my body, it wouldn’t work, but it would still be an overall terrible outcome for me.

 I have a few chances to avoid this fate, though. 

The first chance is that the sect would be the first to know about what happened here. In the event that something happens that is worth the attention of a superior, they would either inform them immediately or wait until their posting ends.

 Considering the waves I’ve already made in my application, they’d easily be able to match my description and what I was going for.

 This would make me an asset to them.

Despite the shock of the situation, this hasn’t reached the level of using their communication tokens to contact a superior immediately. Only a demonic attack or a full assault would warrant such a thing.

The main reason? When someone comes through the first and second areas of the teleportation, each step passes along some information from the previous area’s guards.

Not only that, but the information that they received from the first area is that I’m a noble of some kind. Just this is enough to stay their hand and use caution with the situation.

 It’s likely also the reason they didn’t attack me when I was in the house and simply got me out of the array area. Already, such an action is one that could get them in hot water, even if they were right to do so.

They will try to put this off as long as possible to figure out a way to deal with this.

Their next shift would begin in a few days. Since something had happened, they would need to at least report it at that time.

It would likely not end in their favor, but if they tried to hide it and a noble group revealed it, they could be stripped of their position. Maybe more.

This is what leads to the main chance to fix this.

I just need to convince them to not report this or share it with any groups.

 Of course, I have to make it through this first.

 So, I continue bearing with the pain, as I remake my meridians and expand my dantians.

While my body is no longer going through seizures or spurting puke out of my neck, I’m still fighting to my body from doing so.

It’s a slow process, as I still have to push through every small bit of my body to recreate my meridians. I’ve already changed my dantians and expanded that area.

Millimeter by millimeter, I branched out my meridians. These portions extended out to touch the surface of my skin. The goal for it is for it to ultimately allow my Qi to already be at the surface of my skin, so at a thought, it could be summoned for me to command.

 The shape of the tunnels is what will allow me to mark control of it a little easier. Otherwise, I just have it coming out at a constant rate, being loosed into the air against my will.

 Many of these things are combining, enhanced by my healing constitution and aura to make it into a more effective action.

 What I do notice is that most of the guards have seemed to come to a decision. One of them has started to approach me. Despite the fact that I have left their operating area within the array.

 This is highly abnormal, as normally they stay within the realm of the array.

 Just as he reaches the edge of their territory, he sprints out and then dashes towards me. Luckily for me, I do not sense a murderous attempt from him, more of one that looks like he’s going to rescue me.

 And so he does.

 Despite the distance, he quickly reaches me, picks me up, and moves me back into the house, which has now been cleaned.

 While carrying me, he quickly checks to see if I’m conscious or not. I can see his face pale as he realized that I’ve been awake the whole time. That I have seen each of their actions.

 After placing me back in the house on the mats in the position they found me, he goes back and communicates this to the other guards, who also start worrying.

 The anger of a noble is no joke.

Regardless of how right you are.

 I can already see them going through different scenarios of what they might have to do. As they appear to be foundation establishment cultivators, they can speak in extremely low tones that no normal human could hear, but still communicate clearly between each other.

It is only with my scan that I’m able to determine what they’re saying.

 Funnily enough, one of them looks up sharply in comments that there is a possibility that I may be able to hear them with some artifact or something, so they switched to using a private sign language communication between each other.

  Since most of my scan is focused on trying to make sure that everything is set up correctly for my cultivation journey, I’m not able to decipher what their code means.

 However, it doesn’t really take a genius to know what they’re thinking. They are considering whether it is better to just get rid of me.

 If they are smart, they will quickly realize that they’ve left too many clues for a dedicated noble group looking for answers to follow.

And there’s one thing that you can say about nobles.

 They take threats and injuries to their face very seriously. No matter who it’s from.

 If something happened, it’ll be bad. But if you try to hide something away, and you don’t do a good enough job of doing so, it infuriates them.

 I can practically see the resignation fill their face as they come to the same realization. They’ll just have to wait for me to formally go towards them and address the issue.

 Soon enough, my changes are completed. It takes a couple more hours to do so than planned.

 Almost immediately, I let my Qi flow through all parts of my body in accordance with the cultivation method. A wave of Qi washes out from me, showing that I just reached the first level of Qi Condensation.

 

 The sweat increases on their brows.

71