Chapter 253 – It’s Not The Size…
746 0 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The darkness comes and while there was a shiver of apprehension from the group, no action came from the flying creatures. All remained silent and, over time, the group relaxed a bit.

As suspected, it is not until a few hours past that I receive a sign from my scan of further movement from the spirit beast groups. Five beast figures approach from below the ridge. Arrogant and full of power.

1 Early Foundation Establishment, 3 Peak Qi Condensation, and 1 High Qi Condensation.

Clearly, these are the bosses of the area.

We have a few minutes before they arrive, so I get everyone up and ready for them.

During the hours that we were waiting, I made quite a few alchemical torches and illumination flares that will burn brightly through the night, without burning anyone. Each has an extremely large area of luminosity, so obviously we spread it around to keep the area well lit. I also prepare some

As the bosses come closer, I light some of the illumination flares in their general direction. When I set off the reaction, they shoot off like a rocket into the night sky, before giving a small pop with a massive amount of light. Revealing the entire plateau, as the lights slowly drop. Giving us plenty of time to see our potential adversaries.

A giant flying beetle-like insect (who appears to be the leader), two bird creatures, a bear spirit beast, and a snake come up over the edge. Flying and crawling, respectively. The air around them screams of arrogance, as the foundation establishment beetle’s spiritual sense washes over us. Despite their clear shock at the lights that lit up the area like the sun, they still seem confident.

Some nobles in our group bristle at their arrogant behavior, but quickly rein themselves in. Especially with spirit beasts that are stronger than you, it’s far too dangerous to even slightly act out. And the nobles will be a huge target, tasting even better than the others, with their body cultivation history.

In order to direct the attention to myself, I step forward and send a sign for the spirit beasts on my body to reveal themselves.

One by one, they each move off of me and grow to the size of a dumpster, with only the turtle and the plant remaining on me. I can sense the panther moving closer, while remaining in shadow.

The Big Beetle, larger than a semi-truck, lumbers over to us. Despite its size, it can apparently fly and move extremely fast.

A bellowing masculine voice comes out from its mouth.

“It appears we have visitors from the sect. Have you come to offer these as a tribute?”

He waves his massive chitin horn over at the group of cultivation-less people.

… It really doesn’t know the rules here. Or maybe, just don’t care. It is my responsibility to inform it first.

Before taking further action.
“Hello. Are you aware that the Elder for this area has returned? I am her disciple and…”

“Hahahahaha, nonsense!

“It has been decades since anyone’s returned to the towers here. I see you younglings have tried to become cleverer, but you’ll have to do better than that.”

In an almost human-like way, he shakes his head with a scornful laugh.

A scent of bloodthirst is coming across from their group.

A wish for meat and blood, one that has been expected with all of this movement and coordination.

I can sense the ex-Yellow Sashes Foundation Establishment cultivator stepping forward, but I motion her to stay back. She looks obviously worried, but still obeys.

Shoot.

I don’t want to use her strength like that and reveal all my cards to the group. Adding to that, spirit beasts, who are stronger than cultivators at the same level, surround us. Without my healing ability, we would be screwed. With it, we could survive. But at what cost? Some people could even be picked up and dragged away via the sky.

No amount of healing can help a captured and tortured person.

I could go to save them, but it would still be a net loss in reputation.

 

The only safe option is the taming ability. I didn’t want to have to use it, but this situation isn’t leaving me much choice.

 

Ugh. This will reduce how much I have available for healing, even more.

… but if I don’t, we’ll have to fight a battle that I’m not sure I could win.

Or need to call in Sister Nuan, which I’d rather not do. It wouldn’t look good to call her in for every little thing. Another hit to reputation.

Well. Taming it is.

“Back when I got here 30 years ago, there was countless fighting and talking about how the sect would come in and kill us all. But over the years, we’ve been the ones to eat your people. Whether they wander here or were looking to claim us for material…”

The beetle leader continues to spout off more things about how he is looking forward to who we will give up for his group. My group is getting restless from his words, but I shake my head at them while he monologues to calm them down. My spirit beast fan out a bit and stand between their group and ours, giving some mental relief to our group, despite the beetle scoffing and still speaking out random things.

… it really likes monologuing.

 

 

 

In the meantime, I send out taming requests to everyone here except for him.

All the flying creatures that were menacing us earlier actually accept the contract near instantly. They typically get sacrificed as cannon fodder pretty quickly in battles, so such a deal that includes healing is quite favorable to them.

But I’m surprised to see that the leaders alongside the beetle are hesitating. Even as they look at each other, understanding the others might take it. As per the non-disclosure agreement they agree to, to even view the contract, they can’t even discuss it with each other.

Which helps me to understand the problem.

Even if there is a law of the jungle, a backstab is frowned upon in any society. Even in the spirit beast’s society. If they betray this beetle for no discernable reason, with not being able to discuss the contract, they too might quickly get taken down.

They need a good reason to back down.

Out of my creatures… which would be the best to take down this behemoth of a beetle?

It has an insanely tough carapace. Massive jaws that can cut through things like butter. A higher cultivation than anyone here, except the foundation establishment cultivator.

And can move extremely quickly, through the air and on the ground.

It’s a basically a tank.

My turtle spirit beast is defensively focused, so that won’t work.

The frog, carp, and worm have their own strengths, but the strong carapace would be a struggle to get through.

That leaves the panther and the plant.

Hmm… the plant could work. Though, I seem to have a habit of using similar tactics regularly.

 

Eh, why not use what works?

I direct my next words at the giant beetle spirit beast, referencing his constant monologues.

“Since you feel that way, perhaps the best way to handle this is to have a one-on-one battle between you and someone from our group?”

He finally falls silent at my words.

Despite being from a completely different species, I can see the look of disdain and ridicule from him.

“Huh? Why would I do something like that when I ha…”

He looks around at the surrounding creatures, who until recently were relatively loyal to him.

Normally, this would be when they vocalize their support. But they instead stare at him.

He has to prove himself.

“Y-you ungrateful bastards! I invited you all to this feast and you da… Fine. We’ll determine who is the right one in this.”

He turns back to us, his horn turning red.

“Send out your sacrifice to me. And for your impunity, I’ll eat all but one of you as a lesson. Look forward to seeing who it is.”

The crowd behind me rustles, wondering who might be sent to go.

Once again, the foundation establishment cultivator steps close to me.

“Would you like for me to fight? I’m not sure that I can win this, but I have some abilities that may work against him?”

… I really have to find out this woman’s name. This is twice now she’s individually stepped up to fight.

I shake my head at her.

“No, I already have plans for this situation. This one here will win this for us.”

The plant on my body snakes its way off of me, growing in size as it does so.

And keeps growing. And growing.

… And growing.

 

… and still growing.

Before our eyes is a massive ‘Jack in the Beanstalk’ style plant creature.

From the feeling I’m getting off it, it is definitely changing its size just to show off.

 

Even the beetle says something.

 

“… It’s not all about the size, you know?”

44