Chapter 7 – Parasomnia.
1k 6 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They’re pounding on the ice? Wait, pounding? They’re alive?!

“H-hang on!” I called out, leaping from my seat. Have they been there this entire time?

“There!” I internally jumped for joy right as I saw it. A rock coated in frozen moss, one so large that whoever that is should be able to get through the hole.

I bolted over to it and wrapped my arms around it, sighing in dread. I pray I can lift this thing.

“Heavy…” I grunted, just barely heaving the rock up to my stomach as I stumbled toward the pond.

I staggered toward the pond edge and somehow managed to toss the stone over in a corner. The rock shattered the ice with ease, creating cracks throughout what remained.

A person surfaced, gasping for air as water spilled off them in waves, revealing a red-headed girl desperately trying to cling to the ice.

“Here!” I shouted, kneeling down to offer her a hand.

“That… B-bitch.” More of her surfaced, voice cracking as she sputtered, “I’m gonna k-kick her ass.”

“Grab my hand!” I called out, successfully ensnaring her attention.

Her glare melted away when our eyes met. “T-thanks,” she stuttered as she gripped my hand. I pulled her up, and she practically scrambled by me, seeming like she was ready to kiss the ground.

“I was positive I was gonna drown there.” She let out a jubilant giggle as she plopped into the snow. “Thank you so much.”

“I’m just glad you pounded.” I smiled as I took a seat back on a nearby rock. “I thought you might’ve been dead.”

I didn’t press her for details initially. I just allowed her to lay there as her lungs feasted on oxygen for a few minutes.

“So, how did you get down there exactly?” I eventually spoke up.

“Oh, that?” She rolled over, getting to her feet as she began stretching. “I’m not sure. I was underwater in front of a bonfire, and then all of a sudden, I was here. The difference is I went from breathing just fine to…” She trailed for a second, shuddering. “Well, drowning. I’m still kinda waiting to wake up, to be honest.”

Wake… oh. I hope she doesn’t freak out when I break it to her. If it wasn’t for this body, I would be handling this far worse.

“Sorry to say, but this is real,” I stated, opting to be straightforward. “You haven’t been dreaming.”

“Oh, I thought the same thing like ten minutes ago.” She shrugged, water dripping off her hair. We’re gonna need to find somewhere warm fast if she’s this soaked. “Then I realized this is far too weird to be feasible, so now I play the waiting game.”

It must have taken me at least five minutes to persuade her this was authentic. I only managed it thanks to the nose trick. After that ordeal, her face went red. A red somehow darker than the shade of my skills.

“I-I’ll be right back.” She forced a smile through gritted teeth, her voice sounding like she was in pain.

“Okay?” I raised an eyebrow as she darted behind a tree.

What’s she do-a scream? Before I could speak up, she emerged, letting out an irritated sigh, her face still crimson.

“Everything okay?” I pried as she took a seat, head sinking into her hands.

“Y-yeah,” she nodded slowly. “J-just hoping you’re somehow screwing with me.” She mumbled, her eyes doing a quick scan over herself. “This is the part where you admit that, right?” She asked, clearly aware of my answer.

“No,” I shook my head as she looked up at the sky, her eyes going wide. “I was being serious.”

“W-What the fuck?” She stammered, pointing at the moon. “Is that a goddamn eye in the sky?”

“That’s the moon, actually… Well, hopefully.” A nervous laugh escaped me. 

For the sake of less screaming and her survival in case we’re separated, I explained to her the various plants (and my goal) I’ve found thus far. Surprisingly, she actually asked me if she could tag along after we find someplace warm and dry. I, of course, said yes and gestured her toward the forest. Right as we began walking, she tossed me a question that threw me way off.

“Hey, before we go.” She spoke up, concern subjugating her tone to its whims. “I’m looking for someone. His name’s Ethan. You know or see him?”

“E-ethan?” I stammered, desperately trying to play off my shock. “M-maybe, what did he look like?” How the heck does she know me? Did one of my friends somehow get here?

“Blue eyes, long brown hair,” she explained, dropping her hand down a few inches from herself. “A bit short.”

Is she Noah? I mean, the red hair and blue eyes match up, but things can’t be that simple, can they? She does have more freckles than Noah. Not much more, but they’re definitely prevalent. Though, if she really is Noah, I have a simple question for the universe.

Why does Noah get to be hot as both a guy and a girl? That is just not fair. Like seriously, how can you pull off looking cute not once but twice?! And why did he get to keep the vast majority of his height?! He looks like he’s still at least 5’10! Meanwhile, I’m over here imprisoned against my will in (what now seems to be) 5’4 land!

“Last I saw, he was wearing a…” She continued describing me as I unintentionally tuned her out.

If she’s here, whoever she is, does that mean the rest of my friends are here too? They aren't hurt, are they?

I'll ask her some vague questions for now to figure out who it is.

“Honestly, he kind of stic-”

I cut her off. “Were you alone when you went looking for,” I trailed for a second, pretending to let my old name escape me. “Ethan, was it? Or are other people with you?”

“No, there were three more with me in total, not counting him.” She nodded. “Do you think maybe they’re here too?” Okay, now it’s time to confirm who I’m with. That should be easy enough.

“It's possible.” I nodded, my next question causing her face to scrunch up in confusion. “You don’t play any instruments, do you?”

I stared back at her, showing my query wasn’t in jest.

“Yeah, I play drums and guitar for fun. Why?” She finally answered, clearly skeptical of what relevance that held.

As soon as the answer registered, a tsunami of joyous relief crashed into me, flattening all other emotions. Before I’d even realized what happened, I was charging forward, throwing my arms around Noah with a giddy squeal.

“Yes! It’s you!” I giggled as my worries were washed away with the tsunami. I'm finally not alone!

“What’s gotten into you?!” He squeaked as I squeezed him so tightly I was afraid to let go.

Glancing up, I whispered loud enough for him to hear. “Hi, Noah.” The reaction was such a sight to behold I was forced to bite back my laughs.

His face went red, and I mean red. A red so vivid I assumed his face lacked the capacity.

“Huh?” He muttered, confusion laying claim to his face.

“I found Ethan.” I beamed as he leaned closer, seemingly just now noticing the similarities I shared with my old face.

Slowly shaking his head, he replied, “there’s no way you’re… You can’t be.” Fine, I guess I have to prove it the hard way. It’s time for an exercise in the ways of mental combat. Bombarding Noah with a torrent of stuff I know about him should be enough to crush his doubts into nothing more than a fine powder.

Right as I went to speak, he returned my hug, squeezing much harder than I ever could.

“Thank Christ, you’re okay,” he whispered, his hug tightening as everything clicked for him. “I thought you might’ve gotten hurt or worse.” Was that? I think he just cracked my back. Lord, have mercy.

“N-noah,” I winced, squirming to get free. “P-please, you’re hurting me.”

“O-oh, sorry,” he began apologizing profusely as he backed away, a blush still lingering on his face. I don’t think he’s ever squeezed me that hard. Then again, I don’t exactly have a habit of vanishing into thin air.

“Hugs are fine…” I whimpered, gently massaging the small of my back. “Just try not to kill me, please.”

“Yeah,” he nodded. “I got carried away there. It’s just… when you weren’t answering us.” His voice lowered as he said it and turned away, averting eye contact. “I’m just glad you’re okay, Ethan.” Oh right… I gotta explain to him. I guess I don’t have to tell him about me actually preferring this. Doubly so, considering I have no idea what Noah’s thoughts on this whole topic are.

I kept everything brief and explained to Noah the predicament with my name and body. I may have left out my thoughts on the situation, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

It may take until the heat death of the universe, but that bridge will be walked… probably.

Astonishingly, he took it well. I didn’t need to clarify or anything. He just accepted it at face value and nodded that he understood.

“So, it’s Aria, then?” He asked, solely for confirmation.

“Yup!” I responded, popping the p. Yeeeessss... it feels so nice to finally be addressed by a name I can stand. I pray he’s okay with it when I “conveniently” don’t mind being stuck in this body when we make our escape.

Right when I suggested we take our leave, Noah leaped forward, pushing me behind him.

“We can see you; you might as well drop the act!” He shouted, his voice reverberating through the clearing as it bounced off some nearby tress.

I glanced up just in time. A sizable masculine figure moved forward from one of the branches on the taller trees. His details gradually seeped in like wet paint dripping onto a blank canvas.

His entire body was a black that rivaled night itself. The only exceptions were the eggshell white mask he was wearing and a periodic gold pulse running across his skin, one seemingly in sync with his heart.

I tensed up when he cast me a glance. The gaze alone instilled unease in me as if he were sizing me up. His mask just made it unsettling in every sense of the word. It only displayed two dots for eyes and a slight frown. The only other feature was an odd gold symbol where his nose should be.

“You move a little too much for someone eavesdropping.” Noah continued as I scanned the rest of the trees for further surprises.

I turned around to finish up my forest inspection and yelped at the person behind us. The fright made me stumble right into Noah, causing him to spin around.

“W-what?” Noah stammered out of sheer awe. “How the shit? I just saw you...” He turned back to the tree for a second as if he believed his eyes were deceiving him.

This guy’s… somehow faster than lightning? It's like he freaking teleported.

His head twitched and twisted as he studied me, like he was suffering from miniature seizures. He inched closer as he jammed his hand into his stomach, it rippling like a stone falling into an isolated lake.

He was roughly neck and neck with Noah when it came to height except far more muscular. Setting him off definitely isn’t on my bucket list.

“Who are you?” I queried as he closed a bit more of the distance between us, causing me to back up slightly.

He shook his head, murmuring something unrecognizable as he pulled a yellowed envelope from his stomach. “Message.” He cast a nod my way, his tone static and unchanging as his head spasmed.

“A message?” I cocked an eyebrow as he stopped before me. Who would be sending us a message?

Ignoring my question, he spun the envelope around, motioning for me to take it as he repeated, “message.”

I reached forward and quickly snatched the envelope. I broke the sapphire blue seal and about had a heart attack when that guy (thing?) lurched forward and seized hold of my chin.

“H-huh?” I stammered, barely keeping my tone clean of panic as he forced my face upward, gazing directly into my eyes.

His misty black eyes met mine as I stared on, fully mindful of the damage he could cause. At first, nothing occurred to disrupt our silent staring contest.

Right when I began to fidget, he started muttering in that same apathetic tone, “message.” What’s up with his eyes? It's like a tiny spark swimming in the back of his pupils.

A singular gold dot that threatened to burn itself into my vision with how intense it was.

“That’s enough, pal,” Noah spoke up, gripping the guy’s arm, the spark dimming. Admittedly, Noah’s less threatening than before, but the conviction in his eye… jeez. It’s just like when someone messed with me when we were kids.

The stranger fervently shook his head as he handed me a lone matchstick?

“Message,” he nodded as his hand darted to his mask, promptly ripping it straight off of his face. Bits of black were pulled up with it as if they were tendrils locking it in place, only to finally snap from the force.

The mask clattered to the ground, revealing an empty slot where a face should be. Before Noah could think to do anything else, its body began falling apart.

Like a hollowed-out sculpture, it slowly crumbled into a pile of blackened fragments that dissolved into the snow along with the creature’s mask.

“What in the ever-loving fuck?” Noah muttered, swiftly directing his attention to me. “You okay? He didn’t hurt you at all?”

“Chin’s a bit sore, but I'll be fine,” I assured him, rubbing the spot he (it?) gripped me.

I unfolded the paper only to be met with a blank page. Perplexed, I commenced to scanning for any sign of a message. Be it invisible ink or something else entirely.

At first, I was at a loss after holding it up to the moonlight had no effect.

But then an idea struck me.

“What if I burn it?” The thought stabbed into me. It could be just like my book.

Noah saw the look in my eye and tried to stop me just as I struck the match off a suspiciously coarse section of the parchment.

I didn’t listen.

I brought the match to the page in spite of Noah’s protests and watched the newly spawned turquoise flame develop a mind of its own.

An energetic flame danced around the page, leaving a blazing trail as it did a flip. Line by line was filled in with impressive proficiency and finesse. And then, as quickly as it began, it leaped into the snow to become one with the ground's icy embrace.

Yes! My gamble paid off! The flame left a message!

“How...” Noah trailed, bewildered awe trickling off his words.

Only two? I was told to expect at least four, if not five. No matter, I can work with this. I’ll get to the point as time is a resource I lack.

There’s an abandoned cathedral in a dying town called Ariethe a few miles out past Vanith’s seal. My… group we’ll call them, we’d like to meet you both in person. If you can get there, we can help each other out. 

And try not to do too poorly on your way here. I’ll be watching. You do too bad, and I may deem speaking with you a waste of breath.

By the way, regarding your friend’s inevitable cozying up to hypothermia, use this paper. Have her press it to her stomach, and it should dry her clothes as well as raise her core temperature. And before you get any ideas, it’s a one-time use sort of thing.

That being said, on your journey to us (provided you show), watch for Etzel (and his minions) on the way out of that forest. He’s been rather irritable lately, so an encounter is ill-advised unless you’re keen on the idea of dying prematurely. And watch out for snow devils when you cross into the tundras. They’re elegant, yes, but deadly.

You can pay me back for the information later... provided you’re useful.

See you soon? - Julian

“It’s from a Julian,” I announced, passing off the note to an inquiring Noah. “Apparently, he wants to meet.” Is this the same Julian from earlier?

“Based on this,” Muttered Noah as he pressed the paper to his stomach. “I have more than a few questions.” 

The paper ignited once more, but now with the whole of its body. Noah didn’t seem phased by it, nor did it leave a mark on his stomach. It appeared to cause his clothes to emit a constant stream of steam until they were dry.

“Much better,” he let out a sigh of relief as he reached for the page only to realize it had burned up. 

So that’s what Julian meant by one-time use. Maybe it’s a security feature?

I whipped out my black book and hailed Noah over to me. Directing it to the spot Julian mentioned, I asked, “you need anything before we head out?”

Noah looked it over and let out a groan in protest at the prospect of a walk that far.

“I’m gonna feel dead by the time this is over...” He grumbled, taking the lead as he waved me along. “And no, I’m good to go.”

“Oh, wait, before I forget.” I called after him. “Should I still call you Noah?”

Stopping dead in his tracks, he glanced back at me with confusion imprinted into his gaze, “come again?”

“Your name,” I said, attempting to approach the topic at least somewhat delicately. “Are you gonna keep using Noah? Despite the, you know...” I trailed, motioning to his body. “I figure I'd ask just in case.”

I have no clue how Noah reacted to this when he woke up, but I can’t imagine it was positive. Being forced into a body that’s not yours (generally) doesn’t sound appealing. I just hope he can handle it until we find a way to change him back.

“Right,” he sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose as he continued walking. “I'll do what you're doing. So pretend I'm a girl, I guess. A girl named Belle. There’s an e at the end of that if you need to spell it.” Yeah, I'm pretending... right.

“Belle with an e, it is.” I confirmed with a nod that was a little too eager. 

“And if we meet anyone we know, try to avoid telling them about this, okay?” She asked, her voice on the verge of pleading with me.

I trudged along after her, half-yelling, “look at the positives!?” I suggested when we reached the treeline.

“And that is?” She glanced back at me, waiting to hear what I came up with. She wasn't supposed to ask me what they were!

Ermh... crap what do I say? Oh, I got it!

“At least you’re cute?” An awkward laugh escaped me.

A blush erupted on Belle’s face just seconds after it registered.

Shaking it off, she grumbled, “I am not cute.”

27