CHAPTER 08 — HOW COULD YOU?
46 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few weeks have past and there are still five days to go until we exterminate the chimera with a party of ten adventurers, two C ranks and eight D ranks adventurers. There is one more and I don’t know if he is an adventurer but I believe he is powerful enough to be a B rank, maybe.

We often eat together with Riku nowadays but it still freaks out the other adventurers when he eats monster meat. One day, I offered him a piece of my boar meat and he was like he didn’t want to eat some because of some kind of reason but eventually he accepted it. He took a bite and finished the whole thing. It looks like it’s his first time or has been a long time since he had one of those normal human food.

Today, I asked him to show some of his powers and knowledge to becoming stronger. He agreed and said I was the only one who should see it. He led me to a nearby forest that no one seems to know about.

“What magic attribution do you have again? I only see your weird portal thing and your teleportation.”

“Why do you ask?”

“Well, if we’re going to team up to defeat the chimera, then we should know each other more to come up with tactics and strategies to better our fight.”

“Very well then.”

He opened his status and showed it to me. It looks like he was a B rank level then. His stats looked ordinary and he has a lot of skills too.

Name: Riku Akuma, Lvl: 250, Occupation: Assassin, Magic attribute: Shadow

Health: 3,000.  MP:4,000.  Agility: 5,000.  Skills: 10.

I guess being a B rank makes you so famous that you have to hide yourself huh. Maybe he just doesn’t want to be seen.

“Can you show me one of your skills?”

“Very well.”

He hold his hand up and closed his eyes. A black ball just appeared on top of his palm and started growing. He points his hand to a tree and blasted the ball to the tree. The moment the black ball touched the tree, the black ball started sucking the tree into nothingness. It’s like it has it’s own gravitational force.

“What? How did you do that?”

“That’s just one of my skills.”

“No, I mean, how did you cast a spell without using any incantations?”

“Shit.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

That’s weird. A spell shouldn’t work if there’s no incantation before it. Maybe he already chanted it after we leave. I haven’t seen one of those black things before. I’ve seen shadow magic and no one has ever heard of that skill before. Maybe it’s an advance skill that only high ranking adventurers have access to.

“Hmmm, can you show me more?”

“Ok then.”

He pointed his hand towards a tree and a black shadow just engulfed his hand. It looks like it became a demon’s hand. After that, he opened his palm and a black ball of flame was blasted from his black hand. The tree was sliced to half and the projectile came back to slice the tree again. 

“Woah! Another one.”

He stands on a stomp and held his hand just above his chest, then he closed his eyes and a fire burst out of his hand. The fire was blue and it looks like it was concentrated into his hand. He made the flame bigger and then smaller again. He repeated the process and the flame seems to be burning brighter and brighter every time it shrunk. It begun conducting lightning and was getting bigger and bigger. 

“What?? I thought you have shadow magic?! How do you have electric and fire magic? And, I’ve never seen a blue flame before.”

“Umm, this is...... Umm, shadow mimic? Yes, shadow mimic.”

“Shadow mimic? I thought shadow mimic only mimics one skill at a time. And it’s black too. How are you doing all that?”

“Enough with the question. Now that I’ve shown you my skills, are we done here?”

“Umm, yes.”

The blue electrical flame from his hand disappeared and he stepped out of the stomp. He left without saying a single word. I went back to the inn and I just slept.

While I was sleeping, there was a loud scream coming from outside. I was awakened by the scream and I went to investigate. There was a dead body that looks like it fell from a high place. He has no head and he was dried up. He was no blood left and there was no evidence that he was killed. I asked for what happened among the towns folk and they said that they don’t know what happened either. It suddenly appeared they said. No one could have done this except.....

I rushed over to the diner and I saw Riku there, just sitting alone in a chair in the corner. I go near him but the more I get close, the more he becomes transparent. I don’t know what’s happening but I think that he’s disappearing the more I get close.

I gave up and went back to bed. 

Every night is the same. I here screaming and adventurers dying.

The last day before the extermination of the chimeras, I invited Riku for him to show me some more of his magic. He accepted and we went to the forest again where he last show his powers. But before that, we looked around town and explore some more.

We visited a blacksmith who is said to be famous for forging magic weapons and are high quality too. I ordered some new weapons and as he was forging it, I waited for a while and had Riku show me some small magic inside the shop.

After he finished drawing the concept, he said that it will be done by tomorrow cause he has no work to do and it has been a slow business for him.

We headed out and we hurried to the forest where Riku will show me some more skills but we heard some cries of agony and screams for help in the woods. We rushed over and we are shocked to see what it looks like torture.

There were two adventurers torturing a civilian. We came closer to see who that is and I can’t believe my eyes. It was an elf. 

The elf is pretty and has white hair with pale white skin, not as pale as Riku’s though. She looked like she was something important or something or maybe she was being sold of to somewhere or someone.

I interfered with their torture and they won’t stop torturing her.

“Hey stop that!”

“Why would we? This bitch tried to escape and cause us trouble.”

“Yeah.”

Riku was staring at them with a scary face. He looked like someone who has a grudge at them and wants revenge. He looks like he’s about to bite. His eyes are dilating.

I pulled my sword and tried to stop them with force. My new sword is made from fortinum and enhanced with magic. I slashed them and they completely blocked it.

“How?”

“Don’t underestimate us boy. We’re A rank adventurers.”

“A ranks?!?”

The two thugs pulled their weapons. One has an axe and the other one has two daggers. Imma call them the axe man and the dagger man.

They charged at me and axe man swings his axe at me. It was a close call, I dodge it. If I was a second late, I would have died there. I used my smoke magic to smoke them. I used [surround] on them. The smoke came out of my hands and it engulfed them with thick grey smoke to suffocate them.

One yelled a magic spell [whirl wind] and the smoke vanished in an instant. The other one with the axe apparently has wind magic.

The other one yelled [thunder] and a loud sound was produced when he clapped his hands. The one with the dagger has sound magic.

I was pushed away by the loud sonic boom that the spell created. It swept me off my feet and they begun charging again. I have no time to hesitate, so I quickly use one of my spell called [sweep smoke]. It can sweep anything that’s below my level. Before I even casted my spell, they were going to attack me.

I get up and jump away from one of his attack, barely made it.

I casted my spell as fast as I can and I hold up my hands and yell the name of the spell. “[SWEEP SMOKE]!!”. After I casted my spell, a big wave of smoke was exerted from my body. The smoke continued to move forward. It is as thick as five meters and as wide as seven meters.

Axe man used [wind slash] and the big wave of smoke was completely vanished. They were that powerful.

I panicked and I have no choice but to relay on Riku’s weird curse sword.

“Riku!!! I need the sword again.”

“You sure?”

“Yes, what ever it takes.”

Riku was like “alright” and he opened a portal in front of him and he put his hand in there and reached for the sword. He was taking too long that the two adventurers are attacking again.

“Got you kiddo!”

Axe man swings his large axe as hard as he can combined with wind magic called [boost] and he directed it right at my feet.

I jump out of the way and I barely made it out. I fell down and as I was standing up, Riku throws the sword that I requested, the cursed sword. I grabbed it and I felt the rage of a thousand souls again. It was like I was being possessed by an evil spirit that wants to take revenge.

I stand up and I let the cursed sword take over. My magic powers exceeds up to ten times my original powers was. My eyes turn black and both my hands was engulf of darkness that the sword emitted. 

It was my turn to attack and I jump to them. I lifted my sword and tried to slice them up with my full power. I used smoke to confuse the enemies. While I’m storing power to my sword, the smoke also thickens.

I slashed them with my full power with the powers of the sword and it created a big slash of black smoke in the air. It was about to hit the adventurers but they deflected it. 

“This axe is made from adamantine boy, this ain’t going to break that easily.”

He jumped and used wind magic to blow me towards him. I was drifting to him and he was smiling while he prepares foe a big attack. I have no choice but to sacrifice the sword to save my own life.

He slashed at me and I blocked it with the cursed sword. The sword broke and the shockwave was so strong that it had blown me and the other two away.

I had been injured and my leg broke. I tried to stand up but I can’t. I just can’t do it. The two adventurers was scratched a little like that blast was nothing.

They stand up again and started to come closer to me.

“Heh, that blast was so weak.”

“Yeah, I know, right?”

My sword that Riku gave me had been broken. I got no weapons left and I might die in here.

They came closer and I pulled out a dagger from my shoes and I jump to them to try to cut them. That would have been the best choice but sadly, I’m not an assassin.

I was about to cut their necks but the axe man stopped my arm before reaching the dagger man’s neck. He hold my hand and lifted me.

“You’re just a weak-ass adventurer. You got nothing.”

He throws me on the ground and the dagger man hold both of my hands. The axe man was about to cut my feet and I dodge it.

I jump but they’ve already cut my right leg. I was in pain, I can’t stand up.

“Serves you right.”

I have to stand up or that elf will be tortured again. Riku. Riku, why won’t you help me? I need you to kill them like you killed all those adventurers. Come on.

“You’ve done well. Let me take this one.”

Riku stepped out and confronted the two adventurers. He was walking very slowly. He was looking them right at their eyes. His black-red, crimson eyes are filled with revenge and anger.

“Look what we have here. Are you going to get back your friend’s leg? Hahahaha.”

They kept laughing and laughing at Riku. They won’t stop until Riku have enough. And they were playing with my leg.

Axe man was about to punch Riku but before his hand reach Riku, his arm was gone. Riku had cut it to pieces in a blink of an eye. 

“Where did my arm go?!? It hurts!! How dare you cut my arm!!!!”

He tried to slash Riku with his axe with his other arm. He successfully used a wind magic spell called [strength of the storm], one of the most powerful wind magic an A rank can use.

It had hit Riku and the impact was so strong that it had blown away me and the two adventurers again but this time, it was a hundred times more powerful.

“Hahahahaha, how do you like that?”

The fog was very thick from the blast and when the fog had lifted, they couldn’t believe their eyes. Riku was still standing there with no scratch what so ever. He didn’t even flinched or move from that same spot.

“Wha- what are you?”

“I’m the last vampire.”

Riku had pulled a weapon from his portal spell and it looks sick. It is golden with a face of a demon. It looked like it was forged with golden adamantine. 

He pointed the sword to his arms and it suddenly exploded. He screamed in agony and begged for mercy. Riku was not hesitating from my point of view. He looked like he was enjoying it.

He pointed it at his friend, “dagger man” and his heart suddenly exploded. He can’t scream cause the explosion also affected his lungs. He was dying and when he collapsed, his whole body exploded too.

“Please, spare me, I’ll do anything, riches, fame, anything you want I’ll give you anything.”

“Oh, is that so? Then give me your head.”

Riku pointed his sword at his neck and it suddenly slipped out from his body, the head I mean. The axe man was decapitated in a matter of seconds. No one can see what just happened.

Riku collected the head and he opened the portal to put the head to. After he put the head inside the portal, he came closer to me and said something like: “Forget what I just said.”

He pointed the sword towards my cut leg and in a miracle, it was growing back. My foot was growing back like it was nothing. Riku looked calm and looked like he had done this several times. 

“How did you do it? It suddenly grows back to full health!!.”

“This is a healing sword of saphenite.”

“Woah, healing sword. Wait, how did they explode when this sword only heals?”

“Well, you can also use this a normal sword but it’s true power is that it can heal any injury.”

“wait, how did they explode?”

“I used heal.”

“Heal?”

“I over growth his cells and it cause a cancerous growth that it led to an explosion of blood in his body. The explosion was cause by both the growth and the blockage of the blood vessels.”

“What?”

“Sorry, I forgot that you guys can’t understand that.”

After that event, I can walk again thanks to Riku. He was so powerful and yet he is not known. Oh, by the way, the elf that we rescued, she was unconscious the whole time and we took her to the local hospital.

She was being taking care of there and now, we have our own problem to fix. To exterminate the chimeras. All I have to say to that adventurers is. “how could you?”

3