13: Tests and reactions
1.3k 6 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I knew I’d find you here. You’re predictable, Nari.”

I looked up, frowning in annoyance. Al simply grinned and sauntered further into the room. He let his eyes wander over the bookshelves until they came to rest on the volume laid on the single table that was crammed into the corner of the room.

This was the first chance I’d had to check out the location and records Mother had mentioned. So far, I wasn’t too impressed. Sure, I could see why they were kept separately with restricted access and qi-based security measures. Some of the ideas and concepts in the records were potentially dangerous. Like the existence of nuclear weapons, penciled in by Mother in neat handwriting. But there wasn’t much that I either didn’t know or couldn’t guess at. Or would agree with, when it came to ideology.

“Are you supposed to be here?” I asked curtly.

“Well, I’m not supposed to read anything, but your guards let me in. Are you sure I can’t borrow a few pages?”

“No.” I searched for my place on my current page and started reading again.

It had taken me embarrassingly long to realize Mother had shown me her technique on purpose, knowing that I would remember it perfectly. I hadn’t been able to recreate it yet, but I would manage a simpler version with some tinkering. That didn’t mean the records were unimportant, or that I’d let a kid read them.

“Wow, you’re grumpy today,” Al commented. He leaned over my shoulder, trying to get a peek.

Sighing, I clapped the book closed and turned around. The enchantments on the books should protect them from being read by anyone unauthorized, but there was no point taking the chance. My gaze flicked around the room. It was pretty small and cramped, but it had a swivel chair that more than made up for the slightly neglected surroundings.

“Do you have a point, Al?”

He backed off a little and leaned against the nearest bookshelf. “I heard some interesting news. The reason you’re so sociable right now, probably. Although I really don’t get it. Shouldn’t you be happy? You’re a high-level genius!” He crossed his arms. “So, tell me.”

I didn’t want to talk about my recent conversation with Mother, or the way the weight of expectations pressed down on me. He already knew I had to reach the eighth stage quickly. But there was another reason I felt frustrated today.

I shrugged. “I just came from hours of dealing with a gaggle of scholars Mother sent without telling me. A few were actually from the clan. They didn’t even try to hide that they were testing me. Lots of puzzles like from IQ tests, and endless debates about philosophy and math and logic and even freaking agriculture. But they really only cared about seeing my unique ability.” That much was obvious from their reaction.

“So, you used qi of another affinity?”

I allowed myself a small grin. “I conjured a little whirlwind that scattered all their papers and instruments around. It took them a while to get it all sorted, and I got them to apologize for wasting the Imperial Princess’ time.”

Al returned my grin. “Shame I couldn’t see that.”

I leaned back and shook my head. “Maybe I am a bad influence.”

“Nonsense. Besides, there’s going to be a big announcement today. People will be shocked. Bet you’ll like that.”

“You’ll have to tell me about it. I’m not going.”

His eyes widened and he straightened up. “Really? But you can’t just not be there! Does Mother know that?”

I turned away, looking out the window. “I think she understands.”

After a moment, Al sighed. “Fine. But you can’t hide forever, you know.”

“Of course I won’t.” Just as long as I reasonably can.

He left soon after that, and I turned back to my reading. But my heart wasn’t really in it at the moment. So I decided to go back to my room and relax a bit.

This morning, I’d made a marvelous discovery that I was still kicking myself about not seeing sooner. Namely, showers. There actually was one in my bathroom, a water qi-infused crystal set into the ceiling in a corner. I’d had to create a shield of darkness qi to act as a curtain, but it had really lifted my spirits. Until the scholars got me. At least the maids had left me alone. I’d seen them around, but managed to avoid them. And my cultivation had gone fantastically.

Somehow, lost in thought, my feet found their way to the family library instead of my room. I ran a hand through my hair and decided I might as well go in. I had some new things to research, after all.

I glanced at the guards still following me around. With this announcement, I’d become much higher-profile. I’d have liked to demand they leave me alone, but if assassination might be a real threat, that would be stupid. And there was that note, and the possibility of someone intending me harm.

“Aston, how much danger am I in?”

He cocked his head just slightly. “Danger can never be discounted, but I assure you, Your Highness, your guards are up to the task of protecting you.”

“Okay, let me put this another way. How many assassination attempts have there been on me in my life?”

“Six.”

I exhaled and headed into the library. That’s not good news. I guess I’m lucky it’s not higher, but they aren’t likely to stop, are they?

This made the decision on what to research next clear. With my new ability, I could use pretty much any technique recorded here. At a high cost, sure, but still. And my perfect memory meant I only had to read the instructions once to retain all the information. Hopefully, my ability also meant I wouldn’t need much practice.

I’ll look at many of them, especially those that can help protect me if I’m in danger, but I won’t need to try them all. Just having some potential options might make the difference.

So, I made a beeline for technique books, only giving a short glance to the qi-infused information storage, rows of jade slips and crystal. They might be quicker, but I was leery of having information somehow automatically transferred to my mind. From what I’d read, my family agreed, as a general principle. It was harder to keep that information separate. Especially for techniques that you might want to adapt to your specific style, there would be problems.

So, I opened an interesting-looking book with symbols for air and darkness on the cover. Hopefully, I’d find a technique that let me breath anywhere. Idly, I considered what I’d need next. Physical protection and healing. Communication and stealth I already have or can get with my main affinities. Maybe resistance to the elements.

My focus sharpened as I noticed the kind of technique I’d been looking for, and I started to immerse myself in the manual.

Edit 28.07.2020 (minor)

45