20: Little light
1.2k 9 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Twenty chapters. Yay! Thanks to all of you for your support. It feels great knowing that a few people are actually reading and enjoying what I'm writing, hot mess that it is.

The next update will hopefully be on Sunday. After that, I'm not sure. I do intend to have a fixed schedule, but that will probably have to wait until the semester is over.

I always appreciate feedback. Also, if you haven't already, it would be awesome if you could rate or even review this story. I'd like to know where I'm at, and even a low rating is motivation to improve (a good rating is motivation to keep going, of course! :D).

As always, thanks for reading!

When I stepped out onto the street, the sun was just peeking over the rooftops. I stretched a little and glanced back at the bar plus motel before I started walking.

I’d never picked someone up for casual sex before, but this had been ridiculously easy. Must be my ‘exotic good looks’. Within minutes of entering the building, a handsome cultivator had offered to buy me a drink, and things progressed from there. Although I’d heard people were generally more restrained in these matters, there were always exceptions, and I must have picked the right establishment.

Now, the town seemed bright and cheery. I felt a little sore, but in a good way. That had to be my imagination, though, considering my qi-enhanced body. Although apparently the old Inaris was a virgin. Well, glad that’s over with. I shook my head at myself. Not like I have room to judge, it’s still earlier than last time.

But the memories of home sobered me up, and I quickened my pace. I wanted to be back at the sect. Now that I’d released some lingering frustration, I could get back to work with a clear head.

The town displayed the same bustle despite the early hour, and I had to limit my speed not to run people over. No one seemed bothered by close calls, though, probably because I showed the presence of a third-stage cultivator. I stopped by another street vendor to exchange a few bronze coins for breakfast, this time bread with fruits and nuts baked in, and walked on. I’d considered going shopping, but there was nothing I really needed from here. Besides, the money I’d been given was a hefty sum but not unlimited, and I might want to buy some powerful artifact someday.

The gate stood open still, and as soon as I walked through it I sped up again. It was only then I noticed that I hadn’t changed back to my fancier clothing. Oh, well. Maybe I can change behind a tree or sneak into the sect. I walked quickly, but the morning sunshine and slight breeze was nice enough I decided to enjoy it for a bit, so I didn’t run.

I was ambling along beside the edge of the forest, thinking about my plans for introducing new technology, when I experienced a prickle of unease. I stopped, looking around. This felt similar to the incident yesterday. I channeled qi into my senses again, straining my eyes to see if I could make out any disturbances. But nothing stood out to me. Meanwhile, the prickle was getting stronger, as if something brushed over my qi. I couldn’t help but shiver.

I hadn’t felt anything like this before. What could it be? Maybe someone’s scrying me. Or searching for me, or something. Could this be related to the old Inaris' questions?

Slowly, I moved back until I reached the cover of the trees. Was it my imagination, or did the forest’s noise seem muted? I tried to calm my heartbeat and concentrate on my senses. Wait, is that qi? Squinting into the distance, I saw a blur that could be a construct moving quickly, if my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. After a moment, I lost it.

Glancing around, I said quietly, “Guards, if you’re there, tell me if you sense anything suspicious.”

No answer came. Maybe I’d been too quiet, or San Hashar was away and her underlings didn’t have her senses. Maybe they were only watching me and I’d broken their line of sight.

The prickling feeling hadn’t abated, although it felt more like static electricity now. I suppressed the urge to flinch. It grew to a peak, then as suddenly as it had come, the sensation abated. After a few seconds, only my anxiety remained.

I took a deep breath and cautiously moved a few steps forward, still hugging the tree-line. My muscles loosened up after a few moments, and I felt my tension ease. Time to get back to the sect, maybe do some research into magical surveillance.

After a moment, I paused, something tugging at my attention. Isn’t it still too quiet? I breathed in deeply, and could feel a hint more moisture than there had been previously. Now that I looked around, a faint mist started to seep in, covering the trees and extending onto the road.

I frowned, taking a few cautious steps. This didn’t feel threatening, not like the other sensation. But I could feel something in my qi if I concentrated on it. A presence?

The qi signature moved around until it approached me from the direction I’d been going, just inside the wood’s edge. It coalesced until I could make out the outline of a person. Even after a few moments, it remained a blurry shape, but I could sense a clear presence in the qi. It felt different from everyone I’d ever met, even the spirit beasts, but faintly familiar at the same time. Something in my subconscious recognized its kind.

“A spirit?” I asked.

A hiss like laughter answered me. ‘Yes yes, little one, I am that I am.’

I relaxed a bit and straightened up. I couldn’t get a good read on the spirit’s level of power, but I guessed it would be around the fifth stage, not that things worked the same way as for humans.

‘Little light, little light, going to your burrow, out of your hearth.’ It started circling around me, a bubbling sound accompanying it. More mist surrounded us, infused with qi, dampening my sensation of the outside world.

I still didn’t feel threatened. If it wanted to harm me, it could do a lot more than that. “It’s nice to meet you, I suppose?”

Another hiss, but this one didn’t sound amused. ‘Not so, not a good way. Light of the night sky, your sun’s away.’

I blinked. My Mother was called ‘Sun of the Empire’ as one of her titles. Didn’t someone call me ‘night sky of the Empire’? But that wasn’t serious. Maybe it’s a common nickname for the heir.

“Yes, I’m alone. Why?”

‘Little light, hidden find. Be wary, don’t shine too brightly, or you’ll burn the flames.’

That was a little clearer. “Is that a warning? You’re warning me of something?”

‘Yes yes yes. Unease here, bad potential, be wary. Threat reaches, lingers in the space, in home, threat against you.

I nodded and resolved to heed its words. “Thank you for the warning. I’ll try to be careful.” I hesitated. “Why did you go out of your way to warn me, though?”

The spirit laughed again, lighter this time, like a chuckle. ‘You are you, little hidden light. I am that I am.’ It bounced, then swirled a little quicker. ‘And this is home. People here, part of home, shelter, protection, order, comfort. Don’t like order, but people, home.’

“I suppose.” If I parsed that correctly, this was because the spirit was bound to the local area. This land had been in the Empire for millennia. Its people thought of it as their home, their pillar of stability. Maybe so much this had settled into the land on a deeper level, reflected in its qi or at least the spirits living here. As the heir apparent to the Empire, it stood to reason that I was connected to it on a conceptual level. Well, magic is weird and a little scary. And wasn’t there some actual religious stuff linked to the Empress?

The figure stopped and cocked its head for a moment, before it restarted its spirals. ‘Gone now, hidden threat, given a pause, I think.’ It came a little closer until I could feel its mantle of qi brushing over my skin. ‘Farewell, little light, little part.’

I didn’t want it to go, but it wouldn’t be wise to pester a strong spirit with questions. So I bowed to it. “Goodbye, and thank you for the conversation.”

Then the spirit swirled around, growing more distant. It took off into the forest, the mist receding slowly.

I watched it go for a moment, before curiosity overcame me and I started following it. I walked at the edge of the forest, just inside the tree-line, trying to trace the spirit’s path. I couldn’t see it anymore, but I could still sense its qi. And by the way it slowed down and danced around, I had the sneaking suspicion that it was playing with me. I resisted the temptation to move deeper into the forest, though, always staying just at the edge of the road.

Finally, it stopped, and just as I debated slowing down, another presence came at me. I jerked back on reflex, sliding behind a tree and veiling my qi. But the other person decelerated as it came closer, deviating from its path.

I strained my senses. This one felt familiar. A cultivator in the third stage, probably a young male. The rustle of coarse fabric, an earthy yet faintly burned smell. Frowning, I peeked from my cover, watching as a boy emerged from the trees. The one who’d tried to challenge me for my room. What’s he doing here?

“Is someone there?” he called. “Show yourself at once!” He held up his fist, which was now wreathed in flames.

Well, there was nothing for it. I stepped from behind my tree, careful to come from the direction of the road, but still kept my aura locked tightly enough he shouldn’t be able to get much from it. “What are you doing here?”

He lowered his hand, although its fire didn’t go out, and narrowed his eyes. “I would ask you that. Who are you, and why do you sneak around here?”

I laughed. “You don’t even remember who beat you? Put that out, or you’ll need to face the consequences of threatening me.” That wasn’t just arrogance, I had a feeling the guards wouldn’t take kindly to him.

The flames died. I could see his wide eyes flicker from my clothing to my face and back. After a moment, he dropped to one knee and bowed, although it looked awkward. “I’m sorry! Uh, Princess. I didn’t recognize you.”

“Obviously.” I took a step closer. “You may rise. What was your name, anyway?”

“Lorn Rhis.”

“Well, Lorn, I’m Leri Inaris, but I hope you know that. Again, what were you doing here?”

“I was just returning to the sect from an excursion, er, Your Highness.”

I frowned. Was it a coincidence that I stumbled on him just after that strange feeling and the encounter with the spirit? Or had the spirit really led me to him? Maybe it was just playing a joke on me, but there might be more to it.

“And where did you come from? What did you do?”

He shifted his weight a little, not looking me in the eyes. “Nothing important. Certainly nothing you would concern yourself with.”

“Oh, really.” My tone was flat. “Tell me.”

“I visited the sect’s tenants, alright? The villagers were having trouble with some beasts from higher up the forest, and I scared them away.”

I hadn’t expected that. I glanced in the direction the village lay, although I couldn’t see it from here. I knew it existed, since it was mentioned in the briefing Kariva gave me, but I’d had no reason to care about it. Still, my curiosity was roused now. It might be good to check out how these people lived, and their relationship to the sect.

“Alright. Why don’t you take me to the village?”

He started. “Princess?”

“I want you to take me to the village,” I repeated slowly. “Is there an issue with that?”

He ducked his head. “No, of course not.”

With obvious reluctance, he turned around and started walking, glancing back to me. I sped up until I walked beside him, but with a comfortable distance. I didn’t know what he was afraid I’d do in the village, but it was clear he didn’t like nobles, and to be fair, he was probably wise to be cautious. So I didn’t let it bother me.

After a few meters, we reached a path winding through the trees at an angle from the road. It was a simple dirt path, not wide enough for most vehicles, but I felt better not to be walking through the undergrowth.

As we started following it, I looked up. “Checking in. Are you still with me?”

A moment later, a bit of the sky darkened, and I saw a figure looking down at me. Kei Weriga, one of the Imperial Guard from the palace. After a moment, he flickered and vanished again. I ignored Lorn’s look. But seeing the guard did make me feel better.

Not that I was concerned about the boy, but someone else could take advantage of me being out alone. I took a deep breath. I guess I’m still a little rattled. Head in the game, now. I straightened my shoulders and continued walking.

41