29: More consequences
873 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

This is the end of the arc. Some people pointed out that its pacing was bad and it should have been more fleshed out and impactful, which is valid feedback.

As I may have mentioned, while I'm usually a planner or "Architect" type of writer, this is a bit of an experiment where I had little in the way of an outline. I'm currently rethinking the ideas for the plot I did have and trying to make a plan for a coherent whole, where different directions are incorporated. I already have the major beats, so it should work. But it might not be a very traditional story going according to the usual arcs, especially in the xianxia genre. Just so you know. Well, if I do it right.

What this means right now is that the next few chapters might be a little rough. There will be a few more transitionary ones before the next arc starts.

As always, thanks for reading, and I appreciate feedback and input!

 

I noticed a number of disciples milling around the sect entrance and stifled a sigh. It had been hours, and they were looking as lost as baby animals kicked out of their nest.

Well, maybe some are waiting for someone to come pick them up.

The sun had just started to rise when I made my decree. Since then, I’d had to take care of many details, even if I left the legwork to the soldiers. Now it was on its journey downward to sink behind the horizon in a few hours. While I appreciated the symbolism, the sun shone directly into my eyes, and I had to avert my gaze. The cleared area around the sect entrance was bustling with people, both soldiers and former sect members. Two airships cast shadows onto the crowd, one of them my destination.

I stopped in front of it and turned around, watching the scene once more. The disciples talked among themselves and avoided looking in my direction.

Except one. Just as I was about to turn back, he raised his head, meeting my gaze. The bow he gave me now was proper, but the smile on his face said so much more. I couldn’t help my lips curling slightly in response. Then Lorn turned around again, talking with one of the others.

“He would do well in the military, I think,” I said to San Hashar.

She nodded. “I was planning to offer him an opportunity. If he works hard, he could make the elite teams, maybe the Imperial Guard.”

That reminded me of a question I had, considering the way the soldiers had acted. “By the way. There aren’t many nobles among the elite soldiers, are there?”

San Hashar titled her head a little. “Many are like him, commoners from disadvantaged backgrounds. Especially in the Imperial Guard. They tend to want people who are loyal to the throne, not some noble family.”

Probably because the Empire enabled their advancement. I hummed in response, not sure if I should call that discriminatory or not. In all fairness, most nobles who were strong enough would probably prefer positions that gave them high standing in their clans, instead. In any case, it was a practical approach.

“Personally, I’m from the poorer parts of the capital,” she finally broke the silence.

That figured. I rubbed the back of my neck. “I wish you could accompany me. I understand that you’re needed here, though. This was a temporary assignment, but …”

“I consider myself lucky to have been given it.”

I snorted. “Come on. You’re likely to reach the eighth stage. Probably within a century. I doubt Mother just happened to assign you here.”

San Hashar smiled. “It has truly been an honor to be your guard, even if only for a short time, Princess Inaris.”

“No, it’s been my honor to have you with me. I hope we’ll meet again soon.”

“I’m sure we will.” With that, she gave me one last bow, then turned and headed away.

I watched her as she passed through the sect entrance. I wouldn’t have imagined it when we first met, but now, I felt a bitter taste on my tongue, and the bright day lost its luster. I really didn’t like seeing her go.

Finally, I shook myself loose and turned to enter the airship. I felt tired and wrung out after everything that happened. If only I could just shut myself away for a day.

In the airship, I stepped to the window, watching as the sect grounds disappeared, until the Dark Forest was only a blur in the distance. Judging by the rate that happened, the airship was moving a bit quicker, this time. I snorted at the realization.

At least the airship had a bathroom. It was nice, with a big bathtub taking over the middle of the room. I peeled off my robe. In some places, the dried blood made it stick to my skin, and I had to be careful not to tear the fabric. At least I wouldn’t have to clean it. Grateful to be free of it, I scrubbed a bit with a provided bucket, then sank into the bathtub.

I ended up taking the longest bath I ever had in my life, in this world or on Earth. I rested one of my old self’s novels on the edge, reading. Although the book was good, I’d find my thoughts drifting off occasionally.

The image of the dead disciples refused to leave me alone, creeping back several times. I could recall it perfectly, see every crease in their clothing, every detail in their expression. It made my skin crawl and prevented me from truly enjoying the bath.

Finally, I felt the familiar qi barriers around the palace coming closer, so I got out and got new clothing from my storage ring. Black pants and a blue robe with silver embroidery, chosen for their comfy material. Then I went towards the lower deck, nodding at the guards. The airship jolted as it touched down.

When I stepped out, the sight of the palace rooftop greeted me. A few guards lined the perimeter, but only two people stood ready to welcome me.

“Hello, Mother,” I greeted them. “Aston, good to see you again. Congratulations on your breakthrough.” His aura left no doubt that he’d advanced from one part of the sixth stage to the next.

The guard bowed, a smile on his lips. But he didn’t speak before Mother.

She crossed her arm and raised an eyebrow. “Welcome back, Inaris. We need to talk.”

Before I could say anything else, swirling motes of qi engulfed us, sparkling with inner light. I felt dizzy for a moment and instinctively closed my eyes. When I opened them again, we stood in a room inside the palace. It was furnished with sofas and a conference table, and none of the sounds from the outside could be heard.

“Aston, please wait outside,” Mother said.

He bowed and moved off, glancing back at me before exiting the room.

Them we were alone. I had to unclench my fists and force my tense muscles to relax.

“I knew you wanted to get back,” Mother said. “I suppose that’s one way to cut your visit short.”

This wasn’t off to a good start. I shrugged. “They deserved it, right?”

Mother didn’t seem amused, judging by the crease between her eyebrows. “You know, the sect patriarch and a few elders came here. They petitioned me to overrule your decision.”

I found it hard to meet her gaze, but forced myself not to cower. “You refused, right?”

“Of course. I can’t have you losing face like that, so I backed you. That doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.”

The temperature in the room dropped by a few degrees. I waited in silence until Mother continued speaking. “I knew you were concerned about the village. But you said you trusted me to handle things.”

“I do trust you! But that was before disciples tried to kill me. The situation changed.” I scratched my cheek, hoping I didn’t let my embarrassment show too much. “I’m sorry if I messed up your plans.”

Mother frowned at me for a moment more, before her expression softened and she sighed. “Okay. I admit you did handle the situation well, given everything. This might even be better than what I had in mind.”

That was good to hear. I smiled. “Thanks.”

“I hope you at least learned something.”

“Oh, I learned lots of things. About the world and myself. By the way, I think I changed my mind. I might look for a retainer after all.” I still didn’t like loneliness. Maybe this was a bad idea, but I could try it at least.

“Good. I’m sure many nobles and young scions of our clan would jump at the chance.”

“Besides that, well …” I hesitated. “You were testing me, weren’t you?”

“Of course.” Mother shrugged. “I wanted to see how you handled yourself. But I didn’t really interfere.”

“Then someone else recorded me saying some ‘radical’ things and distributed them.”

“Kariva is on it. I wouldn’t worry too much.” Mother tapped her hands on her chin. “But I’m glad you seem to have found your spark. What are your plans now?”

“I’ll work on some technological advancement like I’d been planning. Long-term …” I tilted my head. “Well, I have to work on improving things here, to not break my stupid morals.”

Mother shook her head. “I may just send you to another sect, so be careful.”

“Sure.”

We fell silent again. Her expression darkened. “Inaris, what they did …” She trailed off. After a moment, she shook her head. “Anyway, that’s all I needed to know.”

I felt a vague sense of disappointment. So we’re not going to talk about emotional stuff? Alright. I guess seeing people die is common enough here. Whatever. “Can I go, then? I’m tired.”

Her eyes softened. “Of course. Good night.”

When I left the room, Aston fell into step beside me. I knew I should talk to him, but I wasn’t feeling up to it. I really was tired, having to blink against the light more than usual, feeling a heaviness in my limbs. Although my thoughts were going at full speed, threatening to run in circles again.

When we reached my room, everything looked exactly as I’d left it. That felt vaguely disingenuous. Aston stayed in the doorway, watching me with a calm expression. I got the feeling he understood I was having a hard time.

I hesitated. The bed looked inviting, but I could tell I wouldn’t be able to find sleep easily. I felt both tired and keyed up, that weird mix that lent itself to sleepless nights and dark thoughts, if you didn’t get a grip on it.

“Aston, did your mission go well?”

He smiled. “Yes, Your Highness, it was quite successful. Thank you for asking.”

I nodded and continued pacing. Then I shook myself and sat down at the desk to go over some notes. But I found it hard to focus. I didn’t think the ideas I wrote down were much good, and they jumped from place to place quickly.

After a while, I threw my pen down in disgust, kneading my temples. I needed something to help me focus, or at least stop me from thinking too much. I even started thinking of home, on Earth, dwelling on things I’d lost. Grief was the last thing I needed right now.

Maybe I should get some booze. I started tapping my fingers and feet. But I didn’t even like alcohol. And being in an altered state of consciousness as a cultivator didn’t seem like a bright idea.

Getting a sudden thought, I turned around. “Aston, get me someone to bang tonight.”

He raised an eyebrow, but bowed his head. “Of course, Your Highness.”

I’m going to regret this tomorrow, but … screw it. Literally.

I stood and plopped onto the bed. “I don’t care who so long as they’re not ugly or taken,” I specified after a moment. “Consent, obviously. Just for the night.”

The corners of his mouth twitched slightly. “Of course.” A moment later, he bowed and left the room.

I sighed, staring at the ceiling.

After a moment, I started getting restless, so I tried cultivating. It was hard to focus. My dantian accumulated qi at a sluggish pace.

When Aston returned with a girl in fancy robes, only half an hour had passed, and I only had a bit more qi, but I didn’t care.

33