70: Connections
350 8 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There will be another extra chapter this weekend, since I want to post 25k words until the 15th for RoyalRoad's Writathon.

It's a little strange to realize how much I've already written. According to my (very) rough plan, we're almost two thirds of the way there. I could make this longer, since there's more than enough potential in the worldbuilding and characters to fuel more arcs. But I don't want to drag this out unnecessarily.

Well, I guess I could be persuaded to add a short arc or two. Just don't go expecting this to become a ten thousand page monstrosity.

 

Coming back to the others felt like someone was finally lifting the weight they’d been pressing down on me. I wanted to run forward, but controlled myself. I knew Al was tired, even if the prospect of returning to safety had given him a second wind. Mior fell back a little, but I barely noticed, instead looking at the people in front of us.

It was clear they’d been aware of our coming, and were gathering for it. There was a small camp outside of town, this one less the type for a night sleeping outside and more of a defensive or control post, with a lot of security formations set up and even a few earthen walls. A large number of guards stood there. More than I’d taken along in the first place, even though I could still sense others farther out, which meant they’d gotten reinforcements. A moment later, I could see the familiar figure of Lei walking into sight. Tenira followed him, and my heart did a small skip in celebration of seeing her unharmed.

They came forward to greet us, and I couldn’t hold myself back any longer. I stepped forward and caught Tenira in a tight hug. She stiffened for a moment, then relaxed. It felt great to hold physical proof that she was okay.

“Inaris,” she said after a long moment. “I’m glad you’re back safely, but you’re crushing me.”

I loosened my hold and stepped back. Way to go, Tori. Ugh. I ducked my head. “I was worried about you,” I almost mumbled.

She chuckled, and I could see Lei and a few others grinning. “No need to be dramatic, even if you’re cute when you worry.”

My heart skipped another beat, and I had to clamp down on my self-control to make sure nothing showed on my face. Damn it, this really isn’t the time for that stuff. You have important things to do.

I looked back up just in time to see Tenira schooling her expression. Maybe she hadn’t meant to say that? Or was embarrassed by my reaction.

“Of course I’m cute,” I said, crossing my arms. “I’m always cute. And smart, beautiful and talented. At the moment, though, I'm mostly tired.”

That kept the grin on their faces for a moment, though Tenira quickly turned serious. “Are you alright, Inaris? Al?”

I looked back to Al. A few guards and servants hovered around him, but obviously didn’t quite dare do anything while he was focused on watching us. “Go on,” I said. “Get that shower and go to sleep.”

He shook his head. “No, I want to stay here for what’s happening, first.”

I sighed. “Fine, then someone at least get him a blanket and a hot drink.”

The servants scrambled off to do as I commanded, and I looked at the guards. Hopefully, we could keep this short, I was looking forward to a hot shower as well. “Someone fill me in?”

Tenira cleared her throat. “We were awakened from an unnaturally deep sleep only to sense you some distance away, and getting farther away. The more experienced guards assured me that the qi signature with you was one of the beasts you must have talked to before. There were also a number of clearly hostile spirits around, especially in your direction. We packed up quickly, fought them …” She shrugged. “The details probably don’t matter, but the guards managed to hold them off well enough and get me to the town, where we hunkered down until reinforcements came.”

I nodded, relieved that this seemed to have gone so well.

“I wanted to look for you,” Tenira continued, a frown on her face. She didn’t quite meet my eyes. “But we had no idea where you were, and didn’t know what else lay in wait outside. I was assured that you would be safe with a sea dragon, and there was little we could do against one if they turned hostile. We started to clear the surroundings once Lei and the rest arrived. How did you get back, anyway?”

I paused to check that Al was taken care of, then started telling a quick version of our adventure. I left most of the details out, though I would probably tell Tenira everything once we had privacy. I ended by assuring everyone that they’d made the right decisions. They would know that better than me, but I was the Imperial Princess, and they should probably hear it from me.

Mior got a few surreptitious looks, even though they’d veiled their presence so only the stronger people would know the spirit was there. Mior didn’t acknowledge them at all, just standing there as if watching a mildly interesting play.

Once everything was done, I turned to Aston and the senior guards, who’d been waiting nearby for me to acknowledge them. “Are we still in danger here?”

“No, Your Highness,” Aston replied promptly. “The remaining hostiles are scattered and would not be able to put up a fight against us. I …”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Cut that out.”

He looked confused. “Your Highness?”

“If I know you, you were about to kneel and apologize for failing to protect me, again.” I made a cutting motion. “I don’t want to hear it. You didn’t live up to your job, but I doubt another guard would have done any better.”

In my periphery, I could see Tenira and Al stifling a smile. The other guards mostly looked relieved, while Aston bowed deeply, but didn’t say anything.

I sighed. We should get this over with soon, then we could make sure the other spirits got what was coming to them. “Aston, I’d like to talk to you. The rest of you, continue with what you were doing, please.”

Tenira and Lei looked at me questioningly, and I nodded after a moment of thought. They followed as Aston and I stepped away from the others. Al came along as well. He had a blanket tightly clutched around his shoulders and his hands wrapped around a steaming mug, probably tea. I stopped a few dozen meters away from the rest, still a short distance before a scraggly little forest started and to one side of a rocky terrain leading down into cliffs and to the ocean. From here, I had a good view of the town, and I could check that there was nothing up with the camp or our surroundings. Mior stepped forward until the spirit stood beside me, eying my companions, still mostly hidden.

“This is Mior, a … valued ally, from my father’s faction,” I introduced, a little unsure how I should refer to them. The spirit shot me an amused glance, but didn’t correct me.

Aston bowed deeply, though he didn’t take his eyes off the spirit. After a moment of hesitation, Tenira and Lei followed suit. Judging by the faint frowns on their faces, they were trying hard to sense Mior.

“As you can tell, I appear to be targeted by his enemies, in spite of their usual customs,” I continued. “Mior has graciously agreed to help me, and Al, by teaching us to improve our mental defenses. An area where we have certain disadvantages due to the soul journey and its associated issues.” I paused for a moment, wondering if I could convince Mior to extend that offer to Tenira and Lei as well, before I focused. “We are also considering an option that might allow them to help defend me more effectively.”

And spend some interesting time in human society,’ Mior put in. They were slowly coming more fully into view. ‘It’s been a long time since I last really walked among humans, on my own or otherwise.’

I shook my head. “Right. That would work a lot better if Mior has an anchor, tying their qi to them and giving them a physical presence without need to condense their own body. And since Mior is very strong, that should be a strong cultivator, who would open their mind to the spirit, entering a compact of sorts.”

I could see that the others were starting to understand where this was going. A muscle worked in Aston’s jaw, before he stilled his expression. He bowed his head. “If it serves my princess’ interests, this one would be honored to volunteer for such an honor.”

I frowned a little. Aston’s words were stiff, and Tenira looked worried.

“We won’t demand something like that from anyone,” Al said. “Right, Nari?”

“Of course. Aston, I would appreciate it highly if you volunteered, but only if you truly agree to it, if you can open your mind to Mior and work with them. It’s your decision, and if you feel uncomfortable, we won’t continue this.”

Mior took a step closer, meeting Aston’s eyes. ‘You’re a strong warrior, Tener Aston. I wouldn’t mind binding myself to you for a while. It would be a risk, though. For you more than for me. Although it is also an opportunity few ever receive. I have lived a long time and seen many things, and the advice on your cultivation I could give you alone would make that worth it for many.’

I smiled wryly. Put like that, I almost wanted to volunteer for this myself. But Mior had told me that would be a bad idea. I understood that, of course. I had enough problems with my mind and magic without adding a connection to another spirit. We also didn’t know how my bloodline and connection to Rijoko might interfere with this.

Aston glanced at me, then straightened up. It suddenly made me notice his height, as he was at least fifteen centimeters taller than me. “I understand,” he said, tone even. “And I agree. I will risk it. If something goes wrong …”

“Do you want us to pass a message to your family?” Tenira asked.

Aston snorted. “No thank you, my lady. I think clan Tener wouldn’t mind my death.” He turned back to me. “If something happens, please promise me you will take the proper steps to ensure your safety. Become the Empress you are meant to be.”

“Of course.” I felt a little bad that I’d never wondered about his background, and hadn’t even realized Aston was a noble. I’d heard of clan Tener, just hadn’t made the connection.

My guard captain nodded and took a step forward, gaze fixed on Mior. The spirit smiled and came forward to meet him. Mior laid their hands on Aston’s shoulders and tilted their head upward. For a moment, I almost thought they would kiss, but their lips didn’t meet. Instead, Mior’s face started blurring out, until it was just a wispy mass of qi. The phenomenon spread through their body. A whispering noise started on the edge of my hearing, and the hairs on my arms stood up. Streams of qi shot out from Mior’s dissolving form.

Aston flinched suddenly. Then he closed his eyes and threw back his head. It looked like a faint mist entered his mouth and nose, while more of it, and a more substantial haze of qi, converged on his body, covering it. Aston opened his eyes again, but they rolled back into his head. His face twitched. I swallowed at the sight. I hope this is going well.

This continued for a few minutes, while the rest of us stood in silence, watching. The haze of Mior’s qi wrapped around Aston, though some of it seemed to fly upward. I wondered if the spirit had demanifested completely. The veil over Aston’s aura started to draw back, and I had to steel myself not to step back as the weight of it spread over the area. Pressure bore down on me, and I locked my knees against it. Even with that, I could sense something in his aura shifting, though I couldn’t make much sense of it.

Aston’s aura flared, and it felt like some of Mior’s was laying underneath it, mirroring the sensation. At some point Aston had closed his eyes. When he opened them once more, they glowed for a moment and a cloak of fire rose around him, before the qi collapsed inwards again.

The pressure vanished, and Aston stumbled forward. I grabbed his shoulder to steady him, trying to calm down my racing heartbeat. Tenira stepped closer as well, a concerned expression on her face.

Then Aston straightened up, and I stepped back. A pulse of qi formed, and swirled in front of him, forming into Mior’s wispy form. There was still an almost visible band of qi connecting the two of them. Mior gave me a smile and popped his knuckles, before the spirit vanished again, dissipating into the qi surrounding Aston.

“I take it this went well?” I said, calming my expression.

Aston bowed his head. “Indeed, Your Highness. I think it did. We are connected now, it is certainly an interesting experience …” he trailed off, gazing into the distance.

Don’t worry, Little Light.’ Mior’s voice was somehow more solid than before.

“Everything is alright.” This time, Aston’s voice carried an undercurrent that sounded like Mior, if their telepathic voice was given physical form.

I sighed. “Well, alright then. Congratulations.”

Tenira, Lei and Al quickly echoed my words. Al was staring at the guard with wide eyes, his blanket slipped from his shoulders a little. I could see a few of the surrounding guards looking over curiously, though they turned back to their tasks quickly once I glanced at them. Well, I guess this wasn’t particularly subtle.

Aston, or perhaps Aston and Mior, walked forward. His movements had changed just a little, as if there was a bit of underlying energy to them, a hidden tension that turned his steps into stalking. I cocked my head, watching with interest. This whole thing prickled my curiosity, but I swallowed my questions. They probably wouldn’t answer anything about the details, anyway, spirits rarely did.

Excuse us,” Aston-Mior said, their normal and telepathic voices blurring together. “It is time to go hunting. We will test ourselves while taking out the spirits still lingering here.”

I nodded, but the form of Aston was already blurring away at high speed, heading out into the cliffs. Presumably to chase down and kill the remaining spirits that had attacked us. Not that I minded.

I sighed and turned around. “Well, so much for that.” Shaking my head, I started walking back into the camp.

“Not sure how much I understand of what happened here,” Lei said, looking thoughtful.

“I doubt many of us do,” Tenira said. “Now what?”

I shrugged, looking for the tent or hut they had hopefully set up for me. “Now, Al and I go take long, hot showers and get something to eat. Otherwise, probably best to start packing up. As soon as Aston gets back, we can leave. No reason to linger.”

I was definitely looking forward to sitting down and taking a minute. And wearing shoes again. I might not hurt my feet, but I was tired of going barefoot.

13