Interlude — Isuro
283 12 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were times Isuro missed the human world. Its simplicity and focus on the physical would perhaps help him rein in his marauding thoughts better. Not that it was truly another world, of course. But here, in the depth of a qi anomaly cultivated and adjusted by spirits, it would be easy to believe such a thing. It was the safest place for him, a stronghold of Jideia that no other Greater Spirit had even poked at in millennia. But he found that safety had long lost most of its desirability for him.

Isuro let out a mental sigh and condensed his presence into a physical form. While his ascendancy and the path he had walked let him easily exist without one, just a presence spread throughout qi, he had never quite lost his fondness for a body and the stimulation its senses provided. Not that there was much to take in in this place. His eyes were only greeted by a swirling mist of qi, a mere facsimile of the truly fluid, transitory makeup of this redoubt that his qi senses penetrated. His ears did not even pick up a whisper of wind.

Absently, Isuro found himself moving his fingers in a small circle that opened a hole in the swirling mist, qi condensing to take in light from a place more substantial, and quite a distance away. He had a brief glimpse of a sprawling city and a gleaming stronghold nestled beside a range of towering mountains. It swiveled to focus on the palace, the many courtyards and buildings he knew lay behind its walls, but then only light poured from the scrying window.

Of course this meager little extension of his will wasn’t able to pierce the palace’s wards. It wouldn’t even register for the wards’ monitors. Isuro shook his head at himself. It might not do any harm, but he should control himself better.

It has become frustratingly apparent that I am somewhat captivated by Inaris, hasn’t it? The thought stung his pride, but he knew it was true.

Who knew my appreciation for women would prick me so in my old age? He snorted. He knew he had always had a preference for fair girls. The little princess with her fair skin and blond hair certainly fit. He’d found her attractive ever since he really took note of her, shortly before her soul journey. But he knew that by now, it was more than that.

He stepped forward and moved himself through the mists. If he was going to brood here, he might as well do it heading back from his self-imposed solitude on the way to the gathering place.

The problem, he mused, was that Leri Inaris was interesting. No mortal had pricked his interest in centuries, and certainly not like this. Of course, she was the daughter of Rijoko. A certain spark was to be expected. She was someone who would change the world, if given a scrap of a chance. In a few short centuries or even decades, the world of mortals might be barely recognizable as the one it was today.

Although that is the problem, isn’t it?

Isuro ran a hand through his hair. The balance between the nations was precarious enough as it currently stood, he agreed with Jideia on that. Making the Empire even stronger, especially by giving it a ruler who could potentiate that increase, had a high risk of disaster. And even if my patron stands to lose as the Empire keeps turning away from him to Rijoko, that does not negate his logic, does it? Even if I do have to wonder about the risks Jideia himself is taking with this balance

And beside all that, he couldn’t help but acknowledge that Inaris didn’t deserve to be harmed because of her Father’s actions. Or because she carried dangerous potential, if you wanted to be ethical about it. She was a brave young woman who had shown remarkable resilience, a sharp wit, and a certain spunk when dealing with spirits and his own efforts to destroy her. Which had not worked out well.

Which might be partly due to the fact that he had to acknowledge that his heart was not really in it.

Isuro stopped his train of thought as he felt a thread of qi weave from his surroundings toward him. He reached out mentally to touch it and processed the message contained within. Giving one last sigh, he snapped some of his qi, and in a second crossed what little distance remained to his destination.

A mortal might be surprised at the place’s simplicity. Though Isuro knew Jideia could have decorated it much more richly, what would be the point? It was functional, which he preferred. The only thing really marking the place were the fact that the qi inside was more strictly controlled, the large torch in the center, and the grassy lawn suspended in the mists. Furniture could be formed according to momentary needs.

Jideia stood some distance away from the center, currently alone. He had decided to incarnate as well, though not fully, and was little more than a roiling cloud of qi in humanoid shape. That form turned to meet him as Isuro approached, although he could sense the Storm’s regard from farther away.

Isuro gave a courtly bow, perhaps an unnecessary affectation but one he did not mind and might as well perform in his body. He kept his thoughts locked down tight, careful to keep any mention of Inaris far in his subconscious and his mind well ordered, its turmoil calmed for now.

Jideai nodded at him. ‘Isuro. Thanks for coming.’

Naturally.’

Of course, hiding like this wasn’t necessary. He didn’t think his benefactor would reproach him for his uncertainty and emotional unrest. Jideia might be many things, but he was not petty. Certainly not towards his allies. All the same, Isuro preferred not to show it.

I just had a rather enlightening exchange with the Sun,’ the Greater Spirit continued, his mental voice as bland as usual. ‘We will need to abate our efforts. The others are not pleased with me.’

Isuro nodded, projecting a sense of understanding and acknowledgment, distantly noting his lack of dismay at the news in his own mind. ‘I suspected that would be the case. You knew this course of action was a risk, my lord. I can’t say I have no reservations, either, as you know.’

You still did well enough, even if our efforts failed.’ Jideia waved a hand negligently. ‘As expected of Rijoko, of course his child is not so easily suppressed. I will not be dissuaded that simply, of course. I know I can count on you.’

Isuro clasped his hands behind his back. He felt the urge to ask that he be left out of this, to take on other tasks. It would be sensible. But something stayed him. So he simply nodded. I suppose I do not actually wish to have less to do with Inaris.

You are right that for now, I should focus my efforts on other pursuits. I can’t let Rijoko get ahead of me because I’m too focused on this one matter. All the same, our options have hardly run out.’

Isuro cocked an eyebrow. That sounded faintly ominous, at least for the Storm’s enemies.

An easy way to get at a princess is through her nation. We’ll make sure the Empire is not allowed to rise any farther. It’s about time for that, after all. And perhaps we can rid ourselves of the girl’s potential threat more easily than you thought.’

Isuro nodded again. Whatever happened, he had the feeling that things were in the grip of change, and was not quite sure where it would all end up.

For now, on to other matters.’ Jideia’s shape flowed until he took a seat on the ground.

Isuro joined him and listened attentively to what his patron had to say, but he could not help but feel a little disaffected. Perhaps the Storm sensed it, as he ended the conversation quickly.

Isuro felt a brief sting of relief as he left the stronghold to go talk to another spirit. He only started to feel some vigor return to his mind now.

 

I couldn't get this idea out of my head. I debated if I really wanted to post it for a while, since it would break the continuity of the main character's POV. But a bit of foreshadowing and some more depth to the antagonists can't hurt, right? There may be a few other interludes in the future, after all, the scope of events in the story is growing broader in some sense.

11