154: Evaluations
106 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was right. By the time our soldiers reached where the attacker had to have been, he’d disappeared and left no clues behind. Maybe it would have been different if the kilometers between us had been open field, but this was a city. And a foreign, newly occupied one at that.

I stayed at the scene of the crime, jumping down from the roof and joining Al and the soldiers around him.

“Well, at least no one else died,” my brother said. He conspicuously didn’t look at the body of his bodyguard. “But this won’t be the last we see of this, will it?”

“Xiaodan!” Quickly, I turned to Aston, as always my trusty shadow. “Pass the message. I want her security on high alert, and her guard detail increased. They can pull guards from the palace if they have to. In fact, tighten security around everyone who could be considered part of my inner circle.”

“Yes, my lady.”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, glancing at the sky, which was clear except for a few clouds. I wanted to find a quiet place and go to sleep. But it was mid-morning here, and it would be the middle of the day at Xiaodan’s location, which meant no one I wanted to talk to would be asleep.

I’d made sure the estate housing my little sister had a telephone, of course. But our new communications infrastructure was still restricted to the Empire proper, without a connection to or through the Yellow Graves. Still, word would be passed quickly. And I didn’t really think she was in danger. Not just because my intuition didn’t send any warnings, but because of the distance and logistical difficulties that would be involved in any attack on her.

But even if she was safe, the fact that the Storm’s people had struck at Al represented a new level of escalation. It clearly wouldn’t fulfill their primary goal of taking me out, but they might want to put me off balance for new attempts on my life. Assuming this wasn’t just a political move.

We waited in silence for further news. As expected, the patrols they’d sent out failed to turn up any sign of the Auditor’s son. At least we can be fairly sure he isn’t hanging around to try for a follow-up attempt.

“Kiyanu is not going to be pleased at the idea of you going deeper into the Dominion with the soldiers,” Al finally said.

I pulled a face and nodded. “Yes. And he’d probably have a point. In fact, I’m not happy about you being this close to them.”

Al’s eyes widened. “But, Nari …”

“No,” I cut him off. “They tried to kill you, Al. They’ll try again if they have the opportunity. I’m sending you north for now.”

He frowned, looking like he really didn’t like that idea, but couldn’t deny the logic behind it. “But I like being here, and I’m learning a lot. I don’t want to give that up.”

“I know, but your safety takes priority. We’ll figure something out, Al. Maybe we can find a place for you somewhere in one of the other territories where you’d be close to the action but reasonably safe. For that matter, maybe a stint with the development and production facilities or the training camps would do you good, if you’re serious about learning. But you’re not staying here, and that’s final.”

He was still frowning, but nodded. “Yes, Elder Sister.”

And I may just go with you, I thought. For all that I’d threatened the attacker, and I definitely intended on following through with those threats, I didn’t particularly feel like staying and presenting a target for further attacks, myself. And more importantly, I wanted to touch base with Kiyanu and others, and it was about time for me to get back to the capital, anyway.

Before I could continue the conversation, a stir in the people surrounding us captured my attention, and I turned just in time to watch Tenira land and pack up her flying sword. A group of guards accompanied her and started to spread out. A moment later, Elia and Yarani touched down, as well.

Tenira headed straight for us. She laid a hand on Al’s shoulder, but looked at me when she spoke. “It looks like things are getting dangerous here.”

“Yeah.” I smiled just a bit grimly. “They definitely are. Still, I suppose we could take it as a good sign. After all, the Zarian wouldn’t go to these extremes if they were confident of a military victory, would they?”

Tenira and Al both nodded, but from their expressions, they weren’t about to start singing and dancing for joy at that observation.

 


 

“It’s good to see you again, Inaris.” Kiyanu’s smile appeared completely genuine, but there was still a bit of tension around his eyes.

I smiled back. “Same, Kiyanu. I hope things have been going well here?”

“Not quite as well as your campaign, I’m afraid,” he replied. “But well enough.”

He sat down in an armchair and waved at the other seats. I chose a chair and settled down, glancing around. He appeared to share Mother’s fondness for open sky. We were sitting on an open terrace on the upper level of the palace, although someone had erected a wall made of qi that acted as a one-way mirror, allowing us to look outside and probably shielding our conversation.

“I didn’t expect you to come back this quickly,” he said. “But given what happened, I’m glad you did. Do you have any new information on that assassin?”

I shook my head. “Nothing you haven’t already had a report on, I’m sure.”

I’d headed home quickly and taken along all of my partners and friends, plus Elis. It wasn’t like the army really needed me to be there, and I could tell Kiyanu meant what he said.

“It’s certainly a concerning development,” he said. “We’ll have to increase our security arrangements, if nothing else. Whatever technique or ability they used is going to make this difficult. If they can control anyone …”

“It is,” I agreed. “So far, the victims have been in the low stages. That’s probably a limit imposed by the spirit-child’s ability. But if it is, then the limit might shift if he grows stronger. Or with help.”

Kiyanu frowned. “You’re probably right. Do you think our present guard details are effective?”

“Yes. I very much doubt that they could subvert an Imperial guard. Those are all in much higher stages, and I wouldn’t write off their resistance training, either. Besides, if my enemies could have done that, they would have. As the first strike, before we knew it was possible.”

He nodded slowly. “Certainly a good point. And I imagine they might find it a bit difficult to get to you within the Empire proper, too. Do you think this man is acting alone?”

I snorted. “I definitely hope so. But I don’t think there’s any question he was working for Jideia. Again. And it’s at least possible that he was meant to be a weapon for the Storm.” I pulled a face. “In which case, his father is likely to have produced a few other children, too. So there may be more people with an ability like that.”

Kiyanu nodded. “True.”

We both fell silent for a minute, contemplating that prospect and the situation. I looked out over the palace, which was still bustling, and felt a bit of wistfulness. I hadn’t been gone all that long, but a lot had happened over the last few months. For that matter, a lot had happened over the last two years. It felt a little odd to realize that it had only been a little over two years since my soul journey, considering everything that had taken place since then. I’d almost died several times, learned and done a lot of things and met a lot of people, and even the geopolitical situation on Aran had shifted greatly.

“Things are under control here?” I asked.

“Of course. No noble is going to take any chances for the foreseeable future.” His lips curled a little, I noticed. “And while we’ve had a few more visits from foreign envoys, there haven’t been any notable developments.”

I nodded. He’d kept me informed, so I knew what was happening in that regard. “I guess the Empire is attracting more attention because of the way things are going. As long as they don’t try to steal data on our innovations, it shouldn’t matter.”

Kiyanu snorted. “They’re probably going to try. But Kariva has taken comprehensive measures to protect sensitive information. We presumably won’t be able to keep everything we have a mystery, but the truly critical parts should be safe enough.” He paused for a moment. “You should probably speak to her, yourself. In regards to the situation down south, too.”

“I will, of course.”

We kept talking for a few more minutes, getting into a few details, but it was apparent that we’d said what we really wanted to say. Kiyanu excused himself for a meeting with the Chancellor soon. I smiled to myself as I stood and left the terrace. He was clearly keeping just as busy as Mother had, but that was a good thing. And we are working well together.

I decided to take his advice and go talk to Kariva, so I headed to the building which housed her organization. I considered waiting for Tenira, but she was probably busy enough already, and I usually preferred dealing with Kariva on my own. Not that there would be any problem between the two, since they were actually relatively closely related for a clan like this and seemed to work together well. But it was simply easier if I didn’t have to think about managing the reactions and perceptions of anyone else.

Again, Kariva’s subordinates greeted me with exquisite courtesy and showed me into her office, which was currently empty. I took a seat and waited for her to come back, but I didn’t have to wait long. Two minutes later, she entered and bowed deeply.

“It’s good to see you again, my lady,” she greeted me.

I nodded. “Same. First off, is there anything urgent you need to tell me?”

“There are several things I should mention, but I’m sure we’ll get to them,” she replied, taking a chair opposite me.

We paused while she waved her hand and got a teapot and two cups flying out of a closet onto a side table. I watched as she poured tea for me, then nodded my thanks and took a sip. Adzurian black tea, as expected.

Kariva poured herself another cup and sipped from it with every evidence of enjoyment. Which I wouldn’t take as any kind of proof that she didn’t actually hate it. I waited for another moment, measuring how long I should take before I spoke. I knew neither of us really cared about the window dressing, but we were both sending the appropriate signals to each other, anyway.

“Thank you for your work down south,” I finally said. “How would you assess Elis and what he brings to the table?”

“He’s quite good, especially for what’s essentially a self-taught amateur,” she answered promptly. “And it’s not simply his bloodline abilities, either. Unfortunately, I don’t think he hardened his network enough against disruptions, like his unanticipated departure and what came with it, so the actual value of what intelligence assets he has is going to be limited. The Zarian will either purge his contacts, block his connections, or subvert them, depending on the details of the situation. Obviously, the information he’s already gathered and passed on to us is a different matter, but anything they can easily modify, they will.”

“I understand.” I took another sip and watched her watching me with a properly attentive expression. “I have every confidence in your ability. Don’t let him be harmed or turn him against us, but you have a free hand in working with him otherwise.”

“Of course, my lady.” She smiled slightly.

I sat back and considered for a moment. I wouldn’t usually call talking to Kariva simple. If I met her without a clear game plan and staying focused, she’d bend me into a pretzel and then eat me for breakfast. But in a way, it was almost relaxing. Some of the parameters I had to pay attention to for normal conversations were missing, even if there were others instead.

At least there’s no need to waste much time on niceties or frills, I reflected. I don’t need to pretend that we’re friends, we can just get down to working with each other. I could, of course, but that would just complicate things. And it’s one more way to show that I know what I’m about. Even if she knows perfectly well that I’m deliberately trying to show strength and control, that doesn’t mean those aren’t real.

I knew Tenira and the others had trouble trying to grasp my relationship with Kariva, and I wouldn’t have expected otherwise. Even if I suspected some, like Kajare, might be a little concerned. I did, in fact, trust Kariva about as far as I could throw her — which was pretty far, all things considered. That didn’t mean I would ever trust her implicitly. I knew perfectly well that she followed me because she thought I was the best option she had, to benefit her goals, herself, and our family. And that could change.

“And Kiyanu?” I asked.

She tilted her head a little. “The Lord Regent is doing his duty conscientiously and well. There may be a few little points of friction, but we’re working together well.”

“Good.”

She inclined her head a little, but didn’t verbalize a response. We fell silent again, patiently waiting.

“You know, I’ve been wondering by what rules you might play,” I said almost whimsically. She didn’t show any reaction, and I smiled and waved my hand. “Oh, you don’t need to tell me. If you did, it would probably be lies, anyway. But I’ve been wondering. Something making you inclined to follow directives?”

“If you considered me a danger - or a significant one - I doubt you would be here, Inaris,” she said calmly.

“Of course,” I acknowledged with a slight smile.

I was pretty sure she was somewhere on the psychopathic spectrum, though I didn’t know how far. Her reaction made me suspect it was more than a few points, though. She wore a good mask, with a good amount of detachment and calm patience. It might even be real.

Of course, while I doubted Mother had ever looked this far into her, Kariva hadn’t really made it difficult.

“I get the feeling Kiyanu doesn’t particularly like you,” I continued in a conversational tone. “If you two locked horns or had a falling out, it would be … annoying. So, obviously, I don’t want you to. You don’t need to pander to him, but exercise some caution.”

She nodded. “Is that all, my lady?”

I leaned back into my chair. “Go ahead and brief me on the situation in the Dominion.”

She did so with her usual efficiency and thoroughness, and I listened to her explanations carefully. We’d discuss this some more at later dates, of course, either in person or with written communications. But it was good to get an overview from her like this.

Just as she was finishing up, we were interrupted by a knock on the door as one of her subordinates wanted her for something important. I stood and said my goodbyes with a smile. On the way out of the building, I noted that she appeared to have expanded again.

Well, things seemed to have gone rather well.

When I stepped out into the sunlight and fresh air of the palace courtyard, I took a deep breath, then turned to head back to the main building. I’d sent for Xiaodan to join us here, and if she hadn’t arrived yet, she would soon. I was looking forward to seeing her again.

 

5