190: No more
127 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This might be the last time I went into a recently conquered city, at least in the foreseeable future. But it certainly wasn’t the first, and I’d come to have certain expectations for these situations.

Saria didn’t live up to them very well. Of course, what had happened here was far from typical. I still found it remarkable that I sensed a lot of people in the city. They weren’t crowded together in sturdy houses and bunkers, but seemed to spread out like usual. There were no fighters lying in wait to ambush us, though, to be fair, my soldiers would have taken care of those already. Instead, I listened to the quiet sounds of a string instrument drifting on the wind from somewhere else in the city.

The storm had finally ended a while ago, but it still left the streets of the city covered in a wet sheen that sometimes reflected light oddly when the sun hit it right. The sky had already turned to dusk, too, which seemed to cover everything in a sightly more reddish tint. It was a scene of surprising beauty, though I couldn’t enjoy it very well with the number of guards that were crowded around me.

Someone had blasted apart the inner gates of the city, though the wall around them still stood and looked mostly undisturbed. We kept to the main streets, which were broader here, most of them lined with trees and decorated with the occasional statue or fountain. They were all much emptier than they should have been. We also approached the parts of the city where the mansions of the rich and powerful stood. Here, I sensed more people watching us,  most of them cultivators of at least middling strength. I tensed up slightly and noticed that my guards seemed to be on alert, as well, but no one approached us, much less launched an attack, and we passed by the mansions without incident.

“It seems like they worked out something,” Elis muttered, glancing at me. “I wouldn’t expect them not to try and cut deals for themselves, though.”

I snorted. “At least they seem to have realized that they’ve lost. I wouldn’t want to have to track everyone of note down outside.”

Of course, our planes and flying cultivators circling outside the city made it hard for anyone to flee. I still expected that some would manage to slip away. With a little luck, and if they were smart, they would flee into exile in other countries. At least I was pretty sure we’d managed to take out most of the Zarian elites who could use the teleport technique.

It didn’t surprise me when we drew closer and sensed the gathering of cultivators in the Princeps’ Palace. It was a pretty obvious and meaningful choice. There were cultivators stationed outside and in guard positions on the roof, probably those less closely connected to the main families. The stronger ones were inside, and I assumed those included what was left of the movers and shakers in the Dominion.

There weren’t all that many, and they weren’t all that powerful in total. Aston probably could have taken them just with his expanded complement of guards. With Hashar’s elites and a few eighth-stagers as backup, they’d have no chance if they tried anything. It wouldn’t come to a fight, anyway. This wasn’t going to be that simple.

I looked up at the white marble facade for a moment, watching the play of colors across it. Usually, there would be more pageantry, with formations or techniques used to pretty it up even further. The huge building was impressive even without that, though the plants in the garden around it still seemed to contain a lot of qi. I made sure to keep to the center of the path as we walked towards the main doors. Aston was in front of me, with other guards forming a perimeter around us. Behind me came my companions, then General Poteri, Hashar, and the eighth stagers present. The other generals were busy overseeing the army. I resisted the urge to straighten my robes again and settled a cold mask in place on my face, striding forward with my back straight and head held high. At least there were no photographs here.

The inside of the palace was as expansive as the outside, but we didn’t have to go far. After only one corridor, wide and intricately carved double doors opened into a large hall. You couldn’t quite call it a throne room, given the lack of a throne, but it was still designed and decorated similarly, with tall pillars, balconies on an upper level that let you look down on it, and a lot of formations in the walls. But I didn’t spare them much attention, instead focusing on the people in it.

I couldn’t help but think they were a pretty sorry lot considering this constituted what remained of the Zarian leadership, their best and most powerful. Half of them were either too old, in appearance at least, or too young. Though I supposed I shouldn’t judge them for having weaker cultivators able to rise to prominence now. I actually discovered Vana in the room, as well, though I tried not to let on that I recognized her.

Though that raised an interesting question. Was the Basement here? I wouldn’t put it past them to have a few representatives prepared.

The already low level of noise in the room fell even further into deep silence as I crossed the threshold and started to walk into the room. Kajare and Tenira flanked me on either side, a step behind, followed by the others. Every eye in the room fixed on us.

I didn’t hurry, but calmly walked down the hall until I stood in front of where the apparent leaders had gathered at one of the ends of the room, where a throne would have (and might once have) stood. The different groups they came from were apparent in the way they clustered together. There were even a few priests in the familiar robes of the Storm’s temples, standing at one edge.

I kept my head high and gazed at them for a drawn-out moment, while the people behind me stopped as well.

Then some of the people started to bow, even if they looked like they weren’t exactly happy about it. Others followed their example, and in a second, everyone had given me a courtly bow.

I inclined my head in response. “Greetings, leaders of the Zarian,” I said. My voice sounded loud in the quiet hall.

A few of the people, probably the leaders of the major factions, exchanged a look, before they responded. “Greetings, Imperial Princess Inaris.”

I noticed that quite a few of the other Zarian were tense, their eyes darting between my guards and the elites who’d accompanied us. The soldiers were spreading out slightly, their postures clearly on alert.

They weren’t just ready to defend us should an assassin pop out. They could also slaughter every Zarian in the room if I decided to simply give that command. The realization made me hesitate for a moment.

“We have a lot to discuss,” I finally said. “But before that, I believe you have something to tell me. Your spirit patron was beaten and driven off, never to regain his bastion here. Your army was decisively defeated by the Empire’s might. Your strength is gone, your territory lost, and you are at our mercy now. I hope there is no one here foolish enough to dispute this.”

There was another moment of silence, another round of silent glances. I could practically see the calculations going on behind their heads.

Then one elderly woman spoke up, who I recognized as head of the Siranum. “You speak truly, Your Highness.” She bowed her head. “In the name of the Zarian Dominion, we formally surrender and ask for terms.”

A few of the others frowned. But remarkably, no one spoke up to contradict her. I had the impression no one was happy about it, and a few of them didn’t like the fact that she was positioning herself as speaker, but no one actually argued that she didn’t have the authority for this. Probably because none of them has it, either.

How ironic that they still didn’t have a new Princeps.

“Your surrender is noted and accepted,” I replied.

That seemed to ease the tension a little. It wasn’t like I couldn’t still get started with murder, pillage, and arson, but I wouldn’t have needed to go to the trouble of getting a formal surrender first.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” another man spoke up. He must be the current head of another great family. “The Dominion is prepared to take any reasonable measures to ensure that the war is resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.”

I smiled ironically. That was a little rich, considering everything that had happened. “You misunderstand,” I answered, letting my tone cool just a little. “I accepted your surrender, as persons and as a group. The Dominion, on the other hand, has been conquered. It started this war, killed many Imperial citizens, and has been brought down for it. With the fall of Saria, the Zarian Dominion is history. There will be no recall, no peace treaty. The Dominion is no more.”

That got a reaction from the Zarian. This time, there was no tense silence, just furtive whisperings too low for me to make out. I watched the stir, keeping my face impassive. They had to know this would happen, and among the people I’d identified as the leaders, I saw few signs of surprise. And why would I allow the Dominion to keep existing when I can just disappear it? Their land is already conquered, or as good as.

Besides, I’d already discussed this with Kiyanu. We were in agreement on this. He didn’t want to risk a newly strengthened Dominion out for revenge rising, either. Or let go of the strength that the resources, not to mention population, of the Storm Continent and the Zarian colonies represented. The war hadn’t fully ended in those colonies, yet, but I knew it wouldn’t be long now.

Then my attention was drawn by a gathering of qi I could sense coming as several cultivators approached. From the side doors, a group of people in the low and middle stages entered. They mostly wore simple clothing, but carried themselves with confidence. The Zarian leaders in the hall reacted immediately, many of them withdrawing a little. A few of the weaker people in their groups stepped forward as well.

I turned to them and smiled. “Ah, our valued allies! The Basement has been extremely helpful, and its contributions will not be forgotten.” In a slightly lower voice, I added, “Please, do join us. This should be interesting.”

A few people stepped forward to join me at the head of the hall. I recognized one of the men as one of the Basement leaders who’d come to us to make an alliance originally. They all bowed to me and offered polite greetings.

“We were just discussing the end of the Zarian Dominion,” I said, although there was no way they had missed that.

“Good,” an older woman stated. She had a slight smile on her face as she looked at the Zarian high-tiers. “It is high time for that end to come, and we are confident that the Empire will improve on what the Dominion used to be. Especially if it starts properly, making a clean sweep of the Dominion’s rotten core.”

I raised an eyebrow. “I can assure you that we do not intend to let the Dominion’s power structures continue on under Imperial rule. But I assume you mean something concrete?”

They nodded. “It is the considered opinion of the Basement that the leeches sucking the strength out of the Dominion’s people to hoard their power need to be properly cleansed.” The woman stared at me, looking almost challenging.

I nodded slowly, taking a deep breath. I knew something like this might happen. They weren’t quite making demands, but this clearly wasn’t far from it. The Basement had been critical, and they were reminding me of it. And now these low-caste freedom fighters were coming to witness the downfall of their overlords, something they had probably dreamed of and made sacrifices for for a long time. I should probably count myself lucky there wasn’t more open bloodlust.

Thoughtfully, I looked at the Zarian elites. These were the people with the most motive and means to rebel. Many of them glared at the Basement members, people they would have probably not have deemed worthy of looking at a few years ago. They didn’t manage to conceal their fear. It was obvious in the way they held themselves, the way they drew more tightly together. Even Siranum seemed hesitant to speak up. My gaze passed to Vana. She hadn’t moved, and met my eyes with a hard look.

The silence had dragged on for a bit. I nodded. “Of course, I understand your position.”

I turned towards the Zarian leaders, cocking my head sligthly, as one finger absently brushed my storage ring.

Then Yarani spoke up. “Inaris. Don’t do this.”

I turned back to my companions to see her staring at me challengingly.

“Yarani,” Tenira said sharply. “You’re out of line.”

I glanced around, then took a step closer. Someone was putting up a qi barrier to keep the conversation private, but I didn’t spare it much attention as I looked at my companions, especially my first partner.

“I can tell what you’re considering,” she said. After a moment, her hand reached out and hesitantly brushed my sleeve. “It might seem the pragmatic thing to do, but think about what you’d be doing. We’ve already won. Focus on what you stand for, what you want to accomplish.”

My eyes narrowed, and I stared at her. But Yarani held my gaze easily. After a moment, I glanced at the others.

Tenira returned my gaze and inclined her head. “I will support you no matter what, Inaris.” She sighed slightly. “Although I do have to agree with her, personally.”

Kajare just nodded. Elis glanced at the Basement leaders, then back at us, and gave a little shrug. Elia and Lei stayed quiet, although she was watching everything intently.

I used some of my own darkness qi to disperse the barrier and turned back, taking a deep breath. She was right. I’d gotten a lot better at acting like a princess, acting more ruthlessly, but there was a balance to strike. I did want to make things better overall, and the greater good wasn’t always an excuse to do something immoral. Far from it.

“I do understand your position,” I repeated to the Basement leaders. “We will make a clean break with the way the Dominion did things. From now on, no Zarian will be measured or have their freedoms restricted by any tier system. The great families will no longer dominate your economy and society.” I raised a hand. “That said, I will not have unnecessary bloodshed. If anyone - and I do mean anyone - goes on a killing spree, they will be punished.”

The revolutionaries clearly didn’t like that. The woman glared at me. “They need to pay for what they have been doing.”

“And they will.” I smiled at all of them. “There will be proper trials, and if any individual has committed crimes or abused those under their power, they will be held responsible for it.” I glanced at the former high-tier citizens as I said that. “In addition, the property belonging to the great families will be confiscated and put to use to benefit the people.”

Neither group looked happy with that. I got the feeling that the Basement members were considering pressing the point. Quite a few of the others might have been thinking of doing something stupid, too.

Then Vana took a step forward. “A wise choice,” she said, bowing her head to me. Then she moved off to join the Basement leaders, completely ignoring the stares the other Zarian leaders sent after her.

After a few moments, the woman from the Basement snorted softly and nodded. “Alright. We will hold you to these sentiments.”

I smiled again. “Of course. There is still a great deal to do, and much to discuss and establish.”

It was probably inevitable that the Basement would get a leading role in the new territories that had been the Dominion. Then again, I could use them to balance out any influence from the Imperial nobles. And the central government would certainly have to be strong.

I was confident we’d manage.

4