Chapter 0: Prologue
356 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello to all the returning readers, and the new ones as well. I decided to restart this story from the beginning, and flesh out some of the elements that irked me the most on the last revision. if you at any point would like to read the previous version, it is available in my other story "Aether Online Archive." please enjoy the updated and better story.

 

October 13th, 2033. Veldorbell Technologies Main Development Lab.

 

“After thirteen long years of development and experimentation, my masterpiece is finally completed!” A woman with long black hair shouted out in glee. The hundreds of other occupants of the warehouse shouted similarly, “Yes!!” the cries echoed. “We're gonna’ be rich!!!” 

 

“Ahem.” A figure coughed in an attention-grabbing manner and all eyes drew to her. “I congratulate you, Ma’am, I'm glad this dream has come to fruition. Though if I may… Your daughter has been home waiting for countless hours- and I believe it’d be best if you were to indulge her.”

 

“Delilah. It’s good to see you, how has she been behaving? ” The black-haired woman addressed the figure before her whilst dodging her request. “Excuse my impertinence, but you're her mother Victoria. As much as you might wish otherwise, she is your responsibility.” Delilah spoke firmly with conviction behind her words. 

 

“What’s with you all of a sudden?” Victoria chuckled. “She barely knows me, What's me showing up supposed to do?” She asked rhetorically, clearly not expecting an answer. 

 

“Send a message,” Delilah stated. “To her, you're a figure that she will never be able to live up to. Like the man in the moon, she believes that you don't hold a shred of care for her.” 

 

At that moment Victoria seemed remorseful.

 

October 13th, 2033. Veldorbell Apartments Room 1.

 

I listened to the rattling of the lock and turned my head to face whoever was trying to enter my house. “Mother?” I spoke with dwindling hope. “Unfortunately that isn't the case.” a woman wearing a french maid uniform walked in, she had her brown hair neatly wrapped into a bun and a pair of glasses framing her face. “She flaked again I see? That's so like her. Right Delilah?” I  laughed at the uncomfortable air. Instead of responding Delilah chose to smile bitterly. “At least she had the decency to get you a gift this year.” She cut the tension and handed me a small box with a letter attached. 

 

“If you'll excuse me.” Delilah left for her quarters. Following her lead, I slunk back into my room and opened the box. 

 

Inside was a next-generation cell phone that her company had developed for the coming year. I looked towards the note and sighed as I began to read it.

 

Hey, Kate! I can't believe you're already 17, it's felt like only a few days since you gave me the inspiration to begin working on the game all those years ago. Speaking of the game, We completed the beta today- it's preinstalled on the phone in case you want to try it out. How has everything been going? Is Delilah teaching you well? Anyway, I hope you have a good night and I can't wait to see what great things you accomplish in the future!”

 Below you will find your beta access code:

CT831

Sincerely, Victoria Veldorbell: Your Mother.

 

A stream of salty fluid dripped down my face in an unending onslaught. I gripped the paper in my hand as tight as I could as the tears continued to flow. “Damn it. Damn it all.”

 

12