VIII. Gridd
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Now, you are ready to learn the arts of combat. When you turn 18 years old, you will be able to choose your Clan or continue as lone Warriors. Clans are spread around the planet: each one of them holds unique ancient powers that descend from the essence of God themselves" he continued, explaining in detail what would be the future steps for their warrior lives.

An expression of disbelief lit up Dag's face. He never heard about Clans, even studying books on Earth. Perhaps it was something proper of the Viking's planet.

Arne turned to Taya and they whispered some incomprehensible word, then, without a goodbye, he left the Arena.

"So… the novices have been marked and are ready to train seriously now" Taya stated.

"Today, it won't be me to teach you… but one of you, that proved herself to be a valid warrior, despite her age" she continued, walking to the Arena center.

The door behind the Arena opened and a girl went out. 

She was Gridd.

Dag completely forgot about her, even if Asa told him that she was about to become a Shieldmaiden.

He stared at her with a questioned face, while she walked towards the center of the Arena, positioning next to Taya and reciprocate his gaze.

"Good morning brothers and sisters! Today's lesson in on using both axe and sword, as I usually do when I fight. I'll try to teach you some of the basis of the dual-wield combat" Gridd said, holding an axe in her right hand and a sword in her left one.

They weren't made of wood, they were real, steel weapons.

"Firs of all, your legs and feet need to stay right in this position, to stabilize your balance and enhancing both of your arms precision…" she started, showing to everybody the combat position she improved while training at the Arena.

The lesson continued until the afternoon when Taya take back the lead of the apprentices. 

At the end of the training session, Dag had learned how to nimbly move to fight with dual weapons and perform a good lunge with the sword, as well as dodge fast blows by spinning on his center of gravity, thanks to his arms used as counterweight.

He really enjoyed that combat style, with which he could fully express his starting skills, mostly based on light attacks. 

"Today's lesson is over. See you tomorrow" Taya said out loud, dismissing her young warriors.

Dag moved closer to Gridd, while she was cleaning the blade of her sword, reflecting her face.

"So, the youngest Shieldmaiden of all Jernhest is my step sister…" he said, trying to be kind, congratulating her.

"I'm not a Skjaldmaer yet. I'm working on it" answered Gridd, without taking her eyes off the blade. 

"What are you fighting for?" she asked. 

"I just feel this is the right thing to do… I really don't know why… probably because when I'll grow up, being a strong warrior, I will be able to know more about my true parents, somehow… I'll find a way… what about you? What's your reason?" Dag said in an innocent tone.

"This is none of your business" coldly said Gridd, then stood up, took her weapons and walked away, to the main entrance of the Arena.

Dag followed her, yelling: "Is Eirik coming to get us a ride home? I'm starving!"

Gridd didn't answer back. She kept walking on her way.

"Okay, I take that as a no" he replied.

After leaving his wooden sword in its place, he followed his step sister. 

At that moment, he figured that Freydis was looking at him and he looked back at her.

Her face expressed the pain due to the mark, but also gratitude. 

She smiled, then he greeted her with his hand.

He turned back towards his sister and kept following.

On their way home, they arrived at the bottom of the hill when Gridd changed direction, diverting from the main road.

"Where are you going?" said Dag, trying to keep up with her.

"I know a shortcut, come with me".

After a bunch of bushes and small trees, a rocky wall appeared: she moved some vegetation branches from its surface, uncovering a climbing path.

They easily climbed the steep wall and found themselves on the top of the hill, in a small wood.

Under the amazement of Dag, through the trees, it was possible to see the house.

From the inside, they could see a dim light probably coming from the fireplace, and without hesitation, they get out of the wood and finally arrived at home.

"How old are you Gridd?" asked Dag, before entering the door, walking next to his sister. 

"I'll be 15 next month. Why are you asking me so?"

"I'd like to be a Warrior like you. You were great today, I liked so much your combat skills, they're so strong!" 

Gridd looked at Dag and for the first time since they met, she smiled.

"Thank you, Dag" she answered.

"Will you choose a Clan when you will be 18 years old?" he asked again, curious.

"Yes, I think so, but I don't know which one yet. My mother…our mother was in the Sons Of Freya. Maybe I will join them in Hevnen, it's not so far from here" answered Gridd.

They arrived at the door and opened it, entering.

In the main room, Asa was sitting on a chair, next to the chimney, sewing a small leather jacket.

"Hi, mother" said Gridd, with her usual cold tone.

"Hi!" said Dag, happy to see her again. 

"Hey, my children! How was your day?" Asa answered, looking at them and trying to guess something from their faces.

"Gridd is a very talented trainer! She taught us so many combat hints and movements" exclaimed Dag, still excited. 

"Really? Did you give the kids a lesson today?" asked Asa, smiling at Gridd.

"Yes, today was my first day as a teacher. Taya allowed me to take her place for a little while" she answered without losing her composure.

"This is good news! Look here, I sewed up a new jacket for you, Dag… if you want to be a fighter, you'll need an armor! I think something like this is a good start" continued Asa, showing her tailoring work.

"For me?" Dag said, feeling happy.

Nobody ever made such a beautiful thing for him, except Hiro, that once made a swan-shaped origami as a gift for him, using a book's sheet.

"Thank you!"

Dag tried on the jacket and it suited perfectly: it was a lightweight but strong sleeveless leather jacket with a little bird engraved by hand at the waist, with open wings and a dual tail.

"It's a swallow, our family's symbol. When I was young, my Shieldmaidens comrades used to call me Asa, 'the Deadly Swallow', because of my quickness on the battlefield" said Asa with a nostalgic tone.

"It's just beautiful, I'm not used to receiving gifts" thanked Dag, touching with his fingers the relief embroidery.

"I'd like to know much about your past as a warrior, about your battles…" he continued.

Asa smiled, as she usual and answered: "we'll have enough time to talk about me… now, let's focus on your present, on your growth".

While they were talking, they heard noises of a horse from the outside. 

After a few seconds, Eirik and Stein entered the house, returning from the city.

"Hey, guys! Here you are, how are you doing?" asked Stein, placing a leather bag on the floor.

1