X. The Past
51 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She moved the candle closer to that Dag so he could see better: there was a double-headed war axe inside the chest.

It had two shining black blades, one bigger than the other, with a silver deer's head embossed in the middle.

On the long handle, lots of runes were carved in steel and at its tip consisted of a raw obsidian pommel.

"This is the most magnificent weapon I've ever seen in my life… yes, I know it's not so much, but… this is awesome. Was it your father's?" Dag asked, staring at that beautiful weapon with shining eyes.

"Yes, it belonged to Brann" Gridd sighed, slightly touching the weapon's handle, before putting it back, locked in the chest.

In the rest of the room, there was a multitude of war items and weapons: a bow and a quiver with arrows, a shield, two spears and a sword, alone in the opposite corner of the chest.

"That's my mom's. One day, I will finally kill the bastard that stole my father's Emblem with this sword" she continued, lifting the sword, which emitted a slender sound when she swung it as to cut the air around them.

It seemed to be very sharp, despite being abandoned in that room for years.

At the hilt of the sword, two golden wings joined together, tightening on a straight, silver blade.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" she asked, looking at the sword as if under an enchantment.

"Yes, of course" Dag answered, as she put the weapon back in its place and turned to him, looking at him with with a questioned air, as if to study his reactions.

"Dag, there is a precise reason why I told you about my father Brann. Well… he was an earthling, like you" she stated, causing silence to descend in the room.

Dag remained motionless and opened his eyes wide.

It took a few seconds for him to answer.

 "What?! An earthling?! I never thought that humans from Earth would be able to become great warriors! Please, tell me more about him… I beg you!" he said, raising the tone of his voice and clenching his fists after that news shocked him.

"I know nothing more than what I've told you yet. Only Asa knows about my father's past, but she will never tell you, or me, or anybody… every time she described my father, she felt a deep pain in her stomach… I think she would get mad if she knew I'm showing you this room. I had to steal the keys she keeps under her bed to unlock the door! Now… we should definitely get out of here" replied Gridd, making him keep his voice down, nodding her hand and urging him to exit.

They left the room and Gridd locked the door. 

Then, they get back in their bedroom and on tiptoe, she put back the keys under her parent's bed.

Almost half an hour passed, but Dag kept rolling in his bed, unable to sleep.

Was Asa so kind to him because he reminded her about her husband? Who was the man that stole Brann's 6th emblem? Sons Of Freya, Hammers Of Thor, Lies Of Loki… who was good and who was evil? And what were they fighting for? They had supernatural powers given by the Gods?

The more Dag stayed awake, the more the questions increased, but finally, when it was late at night, he slowly fell asleep.

The day after, at the sunrise, the rooster started singing. 

This time Dag wasn't alone in the room, but he soon noticed that Asa was the only one missing.

One by one, each of the siblings got up from the bed.

Dag did the same, and once entered the main room, he looked at the exit door, finding it open. 

Outside, Asa was milking a cow, filling some buckets next to it, placed on the grass.

"Anyone up for some warm milk?" she asked joyfully under the sunlight.

"Warm milk is for hard workers! Please, mom, give me some!" Eirik exclaimed, walking out of the house, moaning and stretching his arms after his deep sleep.

"Good morning brother, did you sleep well?" Gridd cheered, blinking to Dag, that perceived that positive vibe, hearing that words full of good humor and smiled back to his sister.

For the first time since his arrival, they had breakfast together.

In about half an hour, both Eirik and his father ride towards the woods on their coach, carrying their axes and ready to chop some trees, while Dag started down the road to town with his sister.

"This night I couldn't sleep well… I was thinking about your father, and the story you told me" he said, looking forward, a bit embarrassed despite willing to be bold in the sight of Gridd, that barely looked back.

"Well, if it helps you, I did that for 10 years of my life… at least" she giggled, trying to defuse.

"Did he possess divine skills? I mean, powers from the God Thor?" he asked again, after clearing his throat.

"My mother told me that one time when they first met on the battlefield, he arose his hand to the sky and a thunderbolt hit it, but he held its power and then released it into the ground, pulverizing dozen of enemy soldiers in front of him!"

"What?! This is not possible, I can't believe you!" he jumped, astonished.

"Hahaha… I know, it's hard to believe, but… our Gods are powerful, and so are the powers that come from them… when you will grow up, you will see it with your own eyes" she laughed.

Dag was still doubtful, but that story excited him so much that he couldn't wait to know what future deserved to him. 

In his mind, he was determined to become a legendary warrior, like Brann, that was able to defeat tons of enemies with a single blow. 

Once arrived at the Arena, Dag and Gridd split in two different directions and started their training individually.

"Today we will start with a one versus one test!" Taya commanded when, in a minute, the messy crowd of young warriors tidily gathered in groups of two, one facing the other.

A random guy stopped before Dag, ready to fight against him.

He held a sword and a shield, while Dag had only one sword in his right hand.

Without a signal, the boy charged towards Dag, trying to hit him with a lunge: in that precise moment, before acting nonsense, Dag took a breath and started thinking on Gridd's first lesson, during which she said that 'holding one weapon instead of two makes you more vulnerable, but faster'.

Charged by those words, resounding in his head, in a second, he fainted a parry, raising up his sword, and then, when the boy was sure to hit the target, he rotated on himself, dodging the hit and striking his opponent with a clean sword swing, knocking him down.

After that strength demonstration, Dag stayed still and out of breath, holding his wooden weapon with both hands, pointed to the enemy.

Witnessing the scene, Taya started clapping her hands, drawing tha attention of the other young warriors.

"What happened to you, kid? Did the night bring to you fighting skills?" she asked, smiling in surprise.

"I just need time, Master Taya. I'll be a quick learner" he answered, without taking his eyes off his opponent, proving his determination.

"I liked that move! Now, keep on fighting, let's go!" she replied, raising her hand and ordering her students to continue their training.

Another day at the Arena was over.

Dag discovered himself stronger and more focused than he expected.

"Hey, I was looking at you, brother… nice job!" exclaimed Gridd, wiping the sweat with a sleeve of her shirt.

Dag didn't answer, enjoying that moment of greatness and walking with her out of the Arena.

"Before, I was thinking about the Clans… I will help you" he stated, breaking the silence. 

"Helping me doing what?" she asked, looking at him in the eye.

"We will find your father's murderer, and we will reclaim his mblem, whatever it takes!"

0