7- Immortal
31 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Spirit demons causing troubles in Mount Tian Shan, dead thunderstorms, human skulls along the mountain trail...these all sound too ambiguous. While I don't deny the possibility of a reemergence of the demon king, there is still no major incident that causes a stir in the Cultivation World like in history. For example, the Sacrifice Town or the incident of Poisonous River. The demon king took about 100 years to suppress, his return should be as groundbreaking as his grand entrance, right?.... Hey, are you even listening to me?"

Shi Lihua has returned back to the inn for an afternoon meditation. He wasn't a person who cared much about what storytellers had to say so he never took their words so seriously like him. This person didn't even know he was interrupting someone who was obviously trying to meditate and someone who obviously has a higher title than him! Shi Lihua sensed not an ounce of respect in this person's bones!

Wu Huan pursed his lips for a long time, watching the once white jade face turning a deep tomato angry red; even his eyelashes trembled along. Sensing impending danger, Wu Huan quickly rose from his seat, noisily bumped into the table then left. All the more reasons he should be running right now!

He would be bored shutting in his room anyway, so he left the inn for sightseeing. He also wondered why he haven't seen any of his fellow disciples running around shopping. For sure, they would at least purchase some necessities since being able to come down wasn't such a frequent opportunity.

Passing by a weapon shop, he decided to take a look. There wasn't anything much that suited his taste but he was especially attracted to a sword tassel displayed on an isolated shelf in the corner of the shop. The sword tassel has a very beautiful knot with a tiny jade bell attached at the end. He could barely hear the bell rang when he picked it up to inspect.

"The bell can be infused with spiritual energy and can track the owner of the sword wherever he goes, as long as,  the master and the sword are not separated." The stranger speaking had a very gentle tone. At first, Wu Huan thought it was the salesperson but upon turning to look, he was stunned by the sudden shiny appearance.

Unlike an ordinary human, his hair was extremely white, long, and unrestrained. A piece of hair was tugged behind his ears by beaded strings and feathers. He wore a blue coat with white wolf fur resting on his shoulders. The person had a very small yet please looking face, but the thing was that he was even taller than him.

"A-are you...are these yours for sale?" He looked up timidly feeling like the other wasn't someone ordinary.

Immortal...immortal...

The word kept repeating in his head as the white hair person smiled, "Yes. Look, I happened to have another pair. Are you interested, young master?"

The other pair he pulled from his sleeve was exactly identical to the one he was holding.

"This is useful to trace your loved ones...especially if you keep losing them." As he said this, an uneasy feeling settled in the wild rabbit's heart and a mischievous thought popped up in his head. It was fine to say he was very tempted.

Wu Huan chuckled, embarrassed, "But, I don't have money with me at the moment..."

"That's not a problem at all. Young master can instead do something for me." The immortal smiled easily like he had already known he wasn't going to be rejected."

"What favor?"

"Persuade your loved one to attach this to their sword."

"That's it?"

"And that's it. It might not be that easy though...especially for the stubborn and scary ones."

Wu Huan had a feeling he saw through the person in his mind and a chill ran through his spine but it wasn't any bad energy at all. Just something even bigger and more powerful than him. He was pretty sure this was an immortal. He didn't know what he was doing selling sword tassels in a weapon shop in the earthy realm but he didn't dare be nosy.

Even though immortals were rare to find or be sighted, there was no doubt about the existence itself. During the war, they had also been active to suppress the demon king who was challenging the heavenly emperor in the first place.

He nodded.

-

Just before knocking, Wu Huan gulped to calm down his nerve lest he stumbled in his speech and be kicked out again.

"Who?"

"It's your junior brother," he responded politely. The person inside paused for a while as if suspicious. Regardless, he was allowed in.

"What nonsense this time around?" Immediately, he was interrogated very coldly upon setting his foot inside.

"I bought a gift for senior brother...for taking care of me." Then he laid the sword tassel on his palm and presented with one knee. His eyes shut closed in fear. "Please, Senior brother, accept this heartfelt gift of mine."

"..." Suddenly, the tassel on his palm was snatched. "You think I believe in your lies? You don't have money. How did you get this?" His tone was as flat as his face when he checked it out. Nothing about gratefulness or surprise at all...

An immortal gave this to me in exchange for making you accept it...

And he would not be a sane person to report that. "I won it as a price."

"Get out."

"...yes!"

"Wait."

Wu Huan turned around hopefully.

"Bring me wine and some sweets."

"..."

Having chosen the best possible wine and sweets, he carried the tray carefully to the room. In his heart, he wondered what would the immortal do. Take it back? But the other pair was still in possession of Shi Lihua. He would risk death retrieving it back.

[This spring water after summer should at least be grateful. Heh! Now, I even became his personal waiter.]

Shi Lihua drowned down his fifth cup, his face calmed under the moonlight. Wu Huan watched the pink figure person pouring himself another cup yet again, his clothes spread around him like a giant petal. Under the moonlight glow, he looked more like an immortal than the person he met this afternoon. Despite not making the effort to ask him what troubled his heart, he knew it was better to not ask that person.

It was his first time anyway, seeing Shi Lihua in a less defensive and vulnerable state.

Curse him. He didn't have the heart to leave this person by himself either. So, he had settled down in front of another table, his hand cupping his cheek lazily watching the other person drowning his sorrow. It was difficult to admit, but he somewhat felt a tiny joy in his chest.

Maybe that was because he was still allowed inside.

Maybe because he hadn't been kicked out yet.

A long time passed, Wu Huan barely kept his eyes open. He also nearly drooled on his own painting. Raising the paper up to his face, he scanned the figure he just drew. It wasn't as bad as he thought. Folding it neatly, he hid it in his sleeve. He was actually waiting for the other person to be drunk so he could put him to bed.

"Shi Lihua," he whispered. The person had already dropped into his slumber on the table. He checked the wine jar and it was really empty like he expected. "I didn't know you're such a heavy drinker. Noble and righteous, but you drank in front of your junior brother. Tsk tsk..." Satisfied, he carried Shi Lihua by his shoulders and dropped him roughly on the bed. Dusting his hands like he had done a good job, he left the room after tucking the person under his quilt.

A smile stuck on his face for the rest of the night.

3