12- Wonton
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Small almond eyes, big nose, and a scar by his lips, this man's name was Zhuan Yang. Zhuan Yang looked like your typical inn-worker with a big bright salesperson smile and excessive politeness that you would care to at least give a few tips of silvers before you walked out the door.

Little did you know, he would use those tips to buy sweets for his beautiful pregnant wife at home who was due to conceive in about another month. His blood, sweat, and tears couldn't be any more for the tiny little life he was going to wrap up in his arms and his mother.

Zhuan Yang didn't think anyone would understand if they came home to their house not missing a single thing except for their wives. Zhuan Yang didn't have the heart to care either when his neighbor's teenage kid, Ah Meng, came to inform that his sword started crazily vibrating around the day after Zhuan Yang left to work when his wife suddenly went missing.

The only people who cared were two men, both too rare handsome young masters, who watched him like hawks waiting for his explanation. The person who looked the most aggressive pressed, "Do continue. Why did you stop?"

Ah Meng scratched his head, embarrassed, "So the sword was passed down by my cultivator grandfather who actually also fought at the end war. My father wasn't born talented to cultivate so we have always been more or less ordinary citizens. The sword he passed down..." he glanced meaningfully at a medium-size thin blade hanging on the wooden wall by the door. "Never really displayed any movement after its master's death. So...it was truly a shock when suddenly it vibrated like crazy."

"How...how crazy?" The other young master with bright eyes and sunshine face asked.

"I don't know how sword usually vibrates but this one, it felt down and started moving everywhere like it was trying to go somewhere or something. I don't know."

They could tell he was becoming nervous.

"Was it trying to hide?" Shi Lihua clutched his hands. Something seemed to dawn on him and his eyes at that moment were too chilling.

"I-I think so. And, I'm not lying by the way..."

"Does the sword have a specific resistance to something? Like a devil Qi?"

"What is devil Qi? I-I...don't know what you're talking about. I've never heard anything from my family. It's just an old sword!"

Wu Huan grabbed the tight fists under the table, "Sorry for scaring you, young brother. He just has a lot on his mind." Receiving a smile, the youngster seemed hesitant but he nodded anyway.

They left the household wordlessly.

A sword that was likely to be resistant to devil Qi vibrated on the day Zhuan Yang's wive went missing. If this didn't clearly indicate that the culprit was in fact a devil cultivator or had some kind of relationship with the demon king than nothing else could, especially when this was the only clue they haven't gotten so far.

"Let's hurry back to inform master," Wu Huan spoke, pulling on the arm of the person in front. Shi Lihua didn't turn nor did he shrugged off. He simply stood frozen in his place, his face ashen and troubled. "Shi Lihua? Senior brother? You don't look too well."

"I just need to rest..."

"Then I will find us an inn."

His phoenix eyes raised up to the other pair of bright ones.  He had then quickly concealed his expression but his lips paused lightly. "Aren't you hungry? You always complain at this time of the day.Tsk.," Shi Lihua scolded half-heartedly turning to walk away.

"Well..."The mischievous junior brother scratched his nose, an unrestrained smirk sneaked its way in as he followed closely behind.

They had settled for a wonton noodle stand not so far away from Gao Li's estate. Wu Huan had ordered a mild pork stuffed wonton soup whereas Shi Lihua ordered the extra spicy one, appearing ready to vent off his stress.

"Go easy. At this rate, you will exhaust all the uncle's stock of water." Wu Huan was amused as he continued to slurp his noodle. He had also noticed that there were pink tints by the end of the other person's eyes and he honestly looked like a kid who accidentally swallowed a chilly pepper. The teacup was also unceasingly drained.

Finally, Shi Lihua couldn't take it anymore. He pushed away his barely half-eaten bowl and shouted for a mild one. His lips were a swollen mess when he glimpsed at Wu Huan.

"Let's not waste food," the junior brother scolded for once, dumping the content of the old bowl into his. Shi Lihua watched with some sort of expectation but after he saw that Wu Huan had taken a big bite and nothing happened, he looked even more annoyed.

Sharp eyes narrowing like a dagger, he asked, "Is it tasty?"

"Yes?"

Shi Lihua boldly added another tablespoon of spice into the already lava soup. "Now try this? It should be tastier."

Bite.

"..."

"Nothing?" He spoke sternly, getting more and more aggravated.

"You could have just swapped your bowl with mine," Wu Huan smiled sweetly just in time the owner dropped another bowl in front of Shi Lihua.

His senior brother glared, "Who would eat after you? Disgusting."

"Well...you will never know."

"Know what?" He taunted.

"Someday you might want to..."

"What are you getting at?"

"Nothing."

"Then close your mouth and eat."

Wu Huan grinned, "How do I eat without opening my mouth?"

"Stuff it from down there."

"I can't reach there. You will do it for me?"

Seeming lost his appetite, Shi Lihua looked incredibly dangerous. His ears changed to pink from anger. "Ridiculous!" He yelled. "How dare you...you say such an insolent and disgusting thing! You fool!"

Hardening his face so he didn't sneaker, Wu Huan scratched his nose. "I don't think it's disgusting..."

Shi Lihua finally seized his sword. "That's it! I'm leaving. Don't fret to follow if you don't want to get hurt." After threatening, peach blossom rope fluttered disappeared behind a corner. The last thing Wu Huan saw was the sword tassel. He laughed inwardly.

Knock Knock

"Scam!"

Knock Knock

"I said scam."

"I brought your wonton and sweet sticky rice.  Are you not hungry?"

"..."

"I'm coming in." When he opened the door, he found Shi Lihua writing by the inn's table. The soft candlelight illuminated his face in the evening. He didn't even raise his eyes to greet him. Placing down the tray and bowls he borrowed from the owner, he settled down onto the seat in front. "Who are you writing for?"

"...Master."

His calligraphy was indeed written to perfection just like his character. Slender fingers holding the brush so naturally, he looked like a beautiful poet crafting his next love letter to his long-distant wife.

"Well then, eat first. The soup will get cold."

"..."

"I'm sorry about earlier. I will watch my words-"

"We're going to Mo City tomorrow. Go back to your room and pack your stuff." Without lifting his head, Shi Lihua sighed folding the letter neatly.

"Alright. But the inn master said there's no room left because of the auction yesterday."

"Don't try to fool me. I specifically told him to reserve another room for you."

"..." Staring at each other, Wu Huan began to scratch his nose. His cheeks turned a pale pink but luckily, they weren't noticeable under the candlelight. "Can I...can I-"

"No."

-

1