Chapter Five
784 9 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Issris - Rar’ir’s homeworld - 2017

Something was wrong, I could feel it from Rar’s unease. There were a number of ships that we could see filling the space around the planet, many of designs that she didn’t recognize. As we coasted into orbit and prepared to descend, it became obvious that they were warships of some description.

This looks bad. Those aren’t your people’s ships are they?

She shook our head. Jadiir, they’re part of a coalition that opposes our existence. Seeing our nature as parasitic. Both a threat and an abomination. It has been a long time since I’ve been home, I wonder why they’re here.

As we came closer to orbit, we began to notice chunks of debris floating around us. There was a mix of metal and organic plating, but the numbers told the story of a very one sided fight.

Our smaller craft would help us descend unnoticed. We hoped. 

Landing, there were more signs of conflict. Several sections of the city were nothing but rubble. Rar chose a secluded area near the outskirts of the city. A place that hadn’t been touched by the invaders orbiting above us. She was nervous to disembark. To see what had become of her home. Blatant fear bleeding through our bond.

Do you want me to take the lead on this? I asked her as she hesitated.

No, it needs to be me. She was the one who knew this place, these people, and she needed to be the one who ventured out.

Alien architecture rose around us. The space beyond the flat area we landed in containing many tall, metallic buildings that shone in the light of two orange suns. It almost looked as though they’d been grown, or were still growing. Organic forms that seemed moulded on top of each other.

It might’ve been a trick of the light, but I thought I saw movement off to the side. Rar hadn’t noticed so we continued forth. Air still with silence. I was unnerved. 

Something’s wrong, we need to leave. My instincts, dulled as they were from this dissociative state, were screaming at me. Another flicker in the corner of my eye.

I whirled around, ducking slightly, and just barely managed to avoid the projectile lobbed at us. 

A small spherical object bounced across the walkway. It screeched, releasing an electrical charge that spluttered uselessly against the stony material. I focused on the direction it had been thrown. Three figures appearing from the buildings around us. They were the same spindly forms of Rar’ir’s old body and I relaxed slightly.

How were you able to do that? I wasn’t sure if Rar was apprehensive, or in awe. You shouldn’t have been able to move our body while I was in control.

Still focusing mostly on the people that were approaching us I answered back. I’m not sure. It was just instinct. I withdrew back. These are your people right? Affirmation.

“Please, what happened here? I’m Rar’ir, Heir quartus. Why are there Jadiir ships in orbit, why are the cities in ruin?” Her voice trembled, what I could feel through our bond was bleeding into her speech.

They lowered their weapons. “You wear a strange body, Heir.”

“When my ship was attacked, I almost died. However this being found me and saved my life. But why are the Jadiir here?”

Rar’ir was translating for me. “They took the Saer.” The words stumbled, and she urged him onwards.

“Our planet was blockaded, an embargo placed upon us. Then they started orbital bombardment until we surrendered the Saer and the Heirs to them. I don’t know where they took them, but we’ve still been forced to stay on planet. Any ships that launch get shot down.”

Rar collapsed within herself and I had to catch our body. No. Her thoughts began to run all over the place. How she doesn’t want the position of Saer, how she’d volunteered for the expedition to escape the responsibility. And now she was her species’ only hope.

The others had been talking, but I couldn’t understand without Rar’ir to translate.

I need you here Rar. Can you say something? Something in the tone of their voices was putting me off. The way they looked at us. Jadiir being mentioned more than once.

It was when they started approaching us that I made the decision to run.

My feet pounding against the pathway, breath holding steady. I could feel the extra adrenaline pumping through my body as I tried to find the way back to the ship. Behind me, the footsteps of our pursuers fell away. I didn’t slow down until they’d disappeared completely however, taking the time to figure out where I was.

Somewhere I’d taken a wrong turn. The area around me was unfamiliar and the alien design of the city wasn’t helping. Rar’ir, if you’re there I could really use your help. Still no answer. Shelter. I needed to get us off the streets.

A loud explosion from behind threw me to the ground. My ears buzzing and vision blurry. 

I was vaguely aware of pain. It was hard to think as the dust settled around me. Debris from a nearby building. I turned just in time to see the second blast and cover my face. Shards of chitinous material cut my exposed skin and the shockwave knocked me down again. The world went dark.

 


 

Pain was the first thing I felt. My body aching all over, with a sharp stinging of various lacerations. Groaning, I tried to move, only to find that I’d been restrained.

Arms and legs locked in place.

Gradually my eyes adjusted to the sharp, artificial light. A metal room, spaceship? I couldn’t clear my head enough to think straight. Damn my throat was dry. 

The grinding of metal on metal as a door opened snapped me out of my daze. The sound was sharp and hurt my ears. Stomping of boots and three figures entered this prison chamber as I realized where I was. They were short and bulky with armoured plates of chiton and crablike features. Mandibles clacked in what passed as speech; a series of clicks and shrill chirps.

It seemed to have wanted a response, smacking my face and repeating the demand.

“I can’t understand you.” I managed to rasp, throat dry and sore. Beady eyes looked over me, in what I figured was a studious manner.

It barked an order that one of the other crablike people carried out. There was an awkward silence as the commander waited and studied me. I took the opportunity to take in the new environment I found myself in. Grated metal floor. I wasn’t sure if the metal had rusted, or it was naturally that ochre colour.

Displays with an alien text lined one wall. There was only a single entryway, an automatic door sized to the shorter stature of these beings. Three more restraint apparatus occupied the room with us, though they lay empty. I didn’t miss the discoloured stains that marked their surfaces. Unsettlingly similar to blood splatters. They were simple blocks with an array of adjustable harnesses, designed to hold just about a captive of any shape or size, though they were a little small for me.

Interesting to know that I was on the taller end of the alien spectrum.

My musings were interrupted by the return of the crab soldier. He carried a small device with an assortment of wires, which he attached to my temples. When the crap people next spoke, I found to my surprise that I could understand them.

“Who are you, and why were you on an Issrisan planet?”

“What’s an Issrisan?” I decided to play the ignorance card. It seemed like the best option in this situation given I didn’t know their motives. Best bet was that these people were the Jadiir Rar had mentioned.

Beady eyes narrowed themselves at me. “The parasites that claimed the planet you were on. I find it hard to believe that you found yourself on that shithole of a planet.”

I met it’s hard gaze with my own. Thoughts of Rar in the back of my mind. “My name is Lo- Laura, I’m a human.” I didn’t expect the reaction I got from calling myself that; a rush of butterflies and exhilaration. “My name is Laura.” I almost felt happy, current situation aside.

13