Ch. 2
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a sparsely decorated and dimly lit waiting room stood the two witnesses to the challenge. One was a Veteran Faifekau, wrapped in the traditional all-black attire of the profession. Around his neck hung 4 necklaces made out of plant fibers that were finely plaited. This signified his ranking in the organization that oversaw the challenges. The other was a Rookie, wearing the all-white clothes that signified his low standing. Young and fresh, he had all of 2 weeks of experience and it showed in his expression.

The Veteran watched impassively as the Tu’i known as ‘Ekolu dismantled the latest challengers within seconds of their arrival. He was well aware of what it meant when ‘Ekolu had been the one to emerge.

The Rookie was busy trying to stifle the vomit that had crept up his throat. He had witnessed some brutal fights thus far in the tournament but none could rival the sheer violence that the Tu'i had displayed.

“How could something like that exist?” he thought to himself as he covered his mouth with his hand, cold sweat lining his forehead.

“They just do.” said the Veteran, answering the unspoken question. He had witnessed the sheer power of the Tu’i for most of his life and knew exactly what the Rookie would be thinking. It was a question he still asked himself every time he was called to witness a Tu’i accept a challenge.

“Come,” he said as he turned towards the billowing darkness that was behind them. “They have retired, for now.” He motioned with his right hand for the Rookie to follow him. “We need to be quick.”

Meekly, the Rookie followed. Fighting the weakness in his knees and the sudden vertigo.

The darkness deposited them into the arena and they quietly set about their work.

The Veteran first checked on the Shaman, who had been thrown away from the rest of the group. A quick check revealed that he was still alive, barely.

“Heal him.” said the Veteran as he walked towards the rest of the group.

The Rookie set about healing the Shaman with practiced precision. Although young he was a gifted healer who had been offered to the Conglomerate just after reaching adulthood. He first activated the tatau on his hands and gently ran them down the Shaman’s head and neck, infusing enough mana to stabilize the man without endangering him. He then activated the tatau on his throat and tongue and began to chant in a low, rumbling voice.

“Fiemalie.” he said as he ended his chant and bent closer to the Shaman. From his mouth spewed a darkness that enveloped the unconscious man, sealing him into a space that would allow for healing.

While the Rookie took care of healing the first challenger, the Veteran continued to check the condition of the rest of the challengers. He was well aware of the tendencies of all the Tu’i and he knew exactly what they’d find when it came to checking on the two foreign challengers.

Both were dead while the two natives of the Seas had been spared, somewhat. ‘Ekolu was known, among the Faifekau, for holding a deep seated grudge against foreigners while showing a slight amount of mercy towards natives. That slight amount only extended as far as allowing the natives to survive but did little for how badly hurt they’d end up.

The Leader’s head had been caved in by the last stomp and the Marksman had been thrown so hard that his back broke in several places.

“At least they hadn’t let Taha out.” the Veteran thought, grimacing at the memories of having to clean up after the most sadistic Tu’i.

He noticed the Rookie approaching the body of the Marksman and quickly stopped the young man from having to interact with a corpse. “Not that one, the large one over there should be the only one left that needs healing.”

The Rookie set to working on the Tank. He knew better than to ask too many questions.

With that, the Veteran activated one of the tatau on his throat and spoke. “Two deceased, two unconscious and stabilized. Send in a clean up crew.” The sound of breaking glass rang out as the entrance was opened to allow a group of masked members into the arena.

With that the Veteran signaled the Rookie with a sharp nod of his head towards the newly opened entryway.

Both men exited the arena, the younger slightly less shaken than when he had entered. The older man was deep in thought as he thought about what would happen next.

_______________________________________

“That wasn’t fun at all!” pouted Taha as ‘Ekolu returned. “At least kill the other two. Gimme a little blood splatter! Come on man!” His disappointment at not getting selected was still palpable and was only made worse by the fact that ‘Ekolu had ended things so quickly. He just wanted to see some blood get smeared everywhere, that’s all.

Ignoring the sadistic little thing, ‘Ekolu walked past and spoke directly to Nima. “That’s 30. I request my rematch, Tamai.”

There was no enmity in his statement, just a very matter of fact pronouncement. He had known from the beginning that Nima was giving him the chance to fulfill his count.

“I know,” Nima exuded an air of relaxed confidence. “They’re preparing right now.”

All the Tu’i present had known exactly why Nima had chosen ‘Ekolu, only one was willing to pout about the decision.

Each one of them were allowed the right to challenge Nima for the position of the leader. He had the right to set the conditions for their rematch.

Every single one had challenged him at one time or another and every single one lost, without fail. There were no limits to how many times they could challenge him but Nima had beaten the dissent out of all of them. ‘Ekolu was the only one left who refused to give up on the challenge. He respected the leader but he saw the challenge as a chance to measure himself and his growth against the pinnacle.

From deep within the darkness, Wha’s jovial voice rang out. ”It’s challenge time already? So fun!” Out of the darkness emerged a well-built woman, her lower jaw covered in tatau that made it seem as if she had a constant, menacing smile. “I’m a little excited.”

Contrary to her jovial tone, the mood in the room dropped with the appearance of the second in command. The third longest inhabitant of the title of Tu’i and the only one to hold wins over every Tu’i except for Nima.

All signs of pouting fled from Taha as the Second made her appearance. As sadistic as the little thing was, Wha had imprinted an instinctual fear in him. He nervously straightened himself out as she approached.

“Little One, how are you?” she drawled, mock concern dripping from her tone. She reached out and lightly scruffed the top of Taha’s misshapen head, sending a shiver down his spine as he let out a gasp of fright. “You must be so disappointed you didn’t get picked.”

She bent over Taha and sniffed contemptuously.

“I smell bitch.” She sneered in his face as she stared him down. The little thing had a hard time shaking her frightening gaze. She had hated him since the very first moment they met and she carried that hatred to this day.

If Taha was the most sadistic then Wha was the most domineering. She revelled in her ability to unsettle and scare the rest of the Tu’i. The only one she couldn’t lord over was Nima and she’d long given up trying to. He had worn down most of her disrespect towards him. Taha, on the other hand, was the easiest to pick on and she did so at every possible opportunity. She was an unabashed bully and toying with him was pure pleasure.

“That’s enough.” Nima said, not even bothering to watch the interaction between the two. His voice was slightly reproachful, enough to worry all those present.

Without hesitation Wha backed off of Taha, still giving him a lurid and spine-chilling smile.

“My apologies, Tamai.” she said, earnestly apologizing to their leader. “I was just caught up in the excitement of a new challenge.”

She gave him a curt bow of the head. She, of all the Tu’i, knew how pointless observing any forms of tradition were when it came to Nima. More than any of the others, he hated rigid traditions and refused to observe them. But he allowed the others to observe whatever rituals and traditions they wished.

Nima waved his hand at her as he stood from his seat. “Let’s go.”

He turned and walked into the darkness. As he approached the darkness parted and opened a pathway to the designated arena for their challenge.

_______________________________________

The area designated for the challenges between the Tu’i was separated from the rest of the island. Because of how dangerous these challenges could become, no less than 15 Faifekau were required to witness and mitigate any damage that might leak. The number of required witnesses were also dependent on which Tu’i would be fighting. Nima alone required 30 fully fledged Faifekau to be in attendance.

For this challenge, 55 Faifekau had been pulled in to witness with 15 on standby.

All of them were separated into groups of 5 or 6 arrayed in various viewing rooms. Along with the fully fledged Faifekau were the various Trainees who had to witness these challenges as they were invaluable lessons.

The space itself was large and spacious. If one were ignorant to who would be fighting they would have expected 2 large groups of combatants rather than 2 lone combatants. For all of the Trainees this would be the first real challenge they’d get to witness and their ability to bear witness would decide whether they would become full partners or be relegated to a lower membership with the Conglomerate.

Once all the witnesses were in place the Tu’i entered.

Nima led the way. This was the first time many of the Faifekau, let alone the Trainees, had ever seen him. They all heard stories of the fabled leader of the Tu’i but he rarely made any appearances. All those who had never witnessed him before instantly had a seed of doubt planted within them.

“This is the leader?” was, without fail, the thought that crossed the minds of all the virgin witnesses. Due to Nima appearing to be so painfully average it was easy to fall into the trap of thinking that way.

Those who had witnessed him before were actively fighting the urge to run. The thought of watching this Tu’i fight again made the pits of their stomachs ache.

“Is he really the leader?” whispered the Rookie. As if answering the question, Nima looked in the direction of the room that the Rookie and the Veteran inhabited. The Rookie faltered under the pressure of the gaze and the Veteran left his question unanswered.

In the middle of the arena, the two Tu’i stood. The size disparity was huge. Where everything about Nima was middling and unspectacular, ‘Ekolu was a sight to behold with his huge frame and plethora of tatau that covered him from head to toe.

The sound of crashing glass announced the closing of the pathway that led to the domain of the Tu’i.

“Well, do you need to warm up again?” Nima asked as he calmly stared the huge man down.

“No, Tamai, that match was sufficient.” was ‘Ekolu’s response.

With that, the Tu’i’s nodded in agreement and the fight began.

_______________________________________

55 witnesses could barely handle the clash between the two Tu’i. Even those who had been held in reserve had been affected.

The Rookie lay on his stomach, mumbling a futile prayer. He was thankful to be alive, thankful that he served an organization that was based around the fearsome beings known as the Tu'i. The young member vehemently mumbled "Nima," over and over again under his breath. At some point he had come to believe the foolish rumors of the Tu'i being a myth. How foolish he had been to listen to the other Trainees and their ridiculous gossip.

The Veteran lay next to him, head spinning as he tried to catch his breath. Blood leaked from both of his nostrils as he felt the tickle of the rising bile. With his voice flat, still fighting the bile, he addressed the Rookie. "Do you still believe the rumors, boy?"

All in attendance for the Tu’i challenge were shown the errors in their misguided beliefs. If they had even a smidgen of doubt it was forcefully erased.

While all the Faifekau had served as the witnesses for the one sided challenges between the various Tu’i and the candidates, few had actually witnessed the extent of power that these beings possessed. Some of the Faifekau present were former candidates themselves and had experienced the violence that a Tu’i could commit. But they hadn’t been privileged enough to be blessed with the full experience.

Many of the Trainees present collapsed. Some of the Trainees were killed by the sheer pressure exuded by Nima alone.

Some of the fully fledged Faifekau collapsed.

On that day, Nima continued his unbeaten streak and ‘Ekolu renewed his vow to the leader of the Tu’i.

1