Ch. 16
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The intruders twitched impatiently, waiting for the members to allow them out. They wanted to get this appetizer out of the way so they could have a go at the peasant impostors.

Standing at the head of them, Pink wore a grotesquely large smile. His vibrant, pulsating lips were cracked and oozing a grey, viscous liquid. It seemed to be sentient as it didn’t drip aimlessly. Rather it oozed down Pink’s lips before retreating back into the various cracks.

Their group finals match had been rearranged due to an “accident” during the semifinals that resulted in both teams being incapacitated.

Unfortunately for Mr. Bel, this meant he wouldn’t be getting to taste the little peon from before. But he would be satisfied with getting a nice little appetizer before getting to devour whichever Tu’i would be sent out.

The 6 intruders twitched where they stood, their grotesque, morphed forms barely holding together now. No’ead had decided they didn’t need the head of the lackey they had eaten so they had ripped it off and given it to Pink. Nubs had slowly chewed off their forearms until only a little was left past the elbows. The hands were now replaced by the grey liquid, acting as an odd pair sentient of hands.

Kantsee had exacerbated the condition of its eyes to the point they were now just large, red lumps. Floa had eaten their legs out of sheer boredom and was now floating using the grey liquid. Of all of them Mr. Bel was the only one who still bore the most resemblance to a normal being, to an extent. His white suit was now heavily stained with dry, caked blood and stretched to the seams, the arms and legs too short. Mr. Bel’s head and face were the same, but the rest of his body had grown taller and lankier, his limbs appearing longer than could possibly be comfortable. He walked hunched over, as if his spine couldn’t support the constant growth, and his arms were long enough for him to use as supports.

Finally, the Faifekau moved to open the door. The intruders exited, guttural snickers escaping their orifices as their gazes fell on their next victims. “Yum.” grumbled Pink.

_____________________________________

Group 5 was the first group to hold their finals.

The two finalists were Hiku and the only other lone candidate, a large native of the Deep. Both were covered in various tatau but Hiku’s gave off a far older feel. The closer they got to one another the smaller the man seemed in comparison.

Overhead, the familiar chimes rang announcing the beginning of the match.

Instead of rushing in, the Deep native cautiously approached as he activated his defensive mana. He was well aware of the strength of Hiku’s Le’o and was preparing himself against it. Hiku also approached, less cautiously than the man.

As if reacting to her movements, the arena floor seemed to ebb and flow with each step. It carried her forward and she was within striking distance after a few steps. Rather than striking, Hiku spoke.

“Child.” She only spoke one word yet her tone was that of a mother admonishing a wayward child. As she spoke she activated all of her tatau. Each one gave off a different color, bathing both candidates in a stained glass tapestry.

As if the ferocious activation of mana had undone the latch on a hidden memory, the candidate began to remember who he stood before. It took his mind a fleeting moment to make the connection and another to send the proper commands to his body. He immediately fell to his knees and bowed his head, forehead touching the ground. Head buried in the ground he yelled at the top of his lungs. ‘I forfeit!”

He listened as the woman named Hiku turned around and walked back towards the side of the arena she had entered from. His heart beat thunderously in his ears and yet all he could focus on was the light pitter-patter of the woman’s footfalls. He continued to keep his forehead glued to the ground as he tried to control his heavy breathing.

He kept the position even though he had heard the distinct click of the door closing behind the woman. His body continued to tremble as he tried to keep down the vomit that sat just below the horizon of his throat.

“She is gone.” said the Faifekau who was his usher. Only then did the native stir. His first move was to check and confirm that the member’s words were true. Once he was able to confirm for himself he quickly got up and exited, not daring to look back.

____________________________________

In the Domain, Nima sighed as he slouched on his couch. “Damned old hag. Showoff.” he thought to himself as he rubbed his temples.

The rest of the Tu’i were silent, only Wanu and Wha weren’t stunned by the appearance of this “candidate.” They had expected more than a few powerful candidates yet they weren’t fully aware of who this woman was. They couldn’t possibly be, not with the way their memories were acting.

“Told you.” Wanu said playfully. “You should really work on your sight.”

Rua clicked her tongue. She wasn’t surprised at the power the other candidate had shown, she was annoyed that the candidate she had picked had gone down without a fight. “Eh, so what. Guess ‘Ekolu will get to see how good she really is.”

The groups that each Tu’i would accept had been decided. The only one that was still undecided was the group that the intruders had been moved to, Group 2.

Still sitting cross-legged in front of Nima, Taha continued to pout. He had been given Group 3 but was silently protesting the assignment. Like a child, he was trying to will the leader of the Tu’i to give him Group 2.

Wha was uninterested. The only final she wanted to see was that of Group 1. Not only because her two pupils were in it but because she had been assigned to accept them. Despite Nima’s unassuming, unflappable appearance he had a mean streak that ran a couple thousand miles.

Rua had been given Group 4. She was disappointed she hadn’t been given the chance to prove herself against the intruders. Still, she had gathered enough information. All that remained was waiting for that final to end before deciding how she would dismantle them. Group 4 had the two largest groups of all the finalists and that fit her style perfectly.

That left Wanu as the only possible Tu’i left to accept the intruders. But knowing Nima, he could change the acceptance order at the last minute. So they were all preparing for any inevitability.

As they waited for the Group 4 finals to begin, Nima cleared his throat before addressing the room.

“I will be accepting Group 5.”

His announcement stunned everyone. Even Wha and Wanu were surprised. It was unprecedented for him to accept a challenge without one of the others first taking part.

“Tamai?” asked ‘Ekolu, puzzled at the sudden change. All the Tu’i were now staring at Nima, mouths agape at the turn of events.

“You will take Group 3. Taha will get Group 2. Wanu will be on standby for support.”

Like a child, Taha jumped up and let out a gleeful laugh at the announcement. “Thank you, Tamai! I’ll make sure they suffer!” His ugly grin spread from ear to ear, furthering the ugliness of his misshapen head. Rua fiercely shushed at him while Wha gave him a dirty look.

“Why?” Wanu asked, eyebrows arched. While she wasn’t completely sure who the finalist of Group 5 was, she had a feeling it was someone both she and Nima.

“Because.” He answered coolly. “You will support Taha.”

As usual, he only answered if he absolutely felt like it. Of any of the Tu’i, Nima could be the most obstinate. Wanu scowled, a bit peeved by the turn of events. She didn’t like that he would be exposing himself to unknown odds.

By this time, Wha was standing in front of Nima and Wanu, hands on her hips. Worry creased her ageless face but she wasn’t able to keep the heat out of her voice. “Answer the question, Tamai. Why?”

The room was already fairly quiet but now it felt as if a vacuum had opened up and siphoned all the sound out. Nima’s passive face grew hard, his brows furrowed as he mulled over Wha’s question. Around him the Domain grew cold, responding to the sudden shift in his mood. He wasn’t a stickler for traditions but he definitely didn’t like being talked down to.

“Come again?” he asked in a quiet, dangerous tone.

Wha, given to hotheaded outbursts, completely misread the question. When it came to the only man she recognized as the only possible leader of the Tu’i, she could be impulsive. “Why? What’s so special about this candidate? It’s stupid for you to accept a challenge like this, especially during an Advent.”

Wanu stood, attempting to diffuse the situation by physically putting herself in between the two. “Wha, just le--”

“No, I want an answer. Nima, you can’t possibly be this stupid to endan--”

“Sit.” was all he said. Despite the command being so simple, all the Tu’i were suddenly forced onto their knees. Whatever furniture they were sitting on had disappeared and they now found themselves face down in front of their leader. Wha bore the worst of the command as her face had been forcefully thrown into the now solid ground of the Domain. Smoke billowed out of her nose as the force continued to bore down on all the Tu’i.

After a moment that stretched into forever the command was released and all the Tu’i were able to move independently again. Despite being released they all stayed prone, waiting for Nima to give them leave.

Nima bent down and whispered to Wha, his quiet voice carrying every ounce of his authority. “I appreciate your concern but you will remember yourself.” His cold voice sent chills down her back, chills she hadn’t felt in ages.

Quietly, she replied. “Yes Tamai.”

After a moment, the atmosphere in the Domain calmed and Nima spoke softly. “We will proceed as I laid out.”

All the Tu’i took their places where they had been and resumed their observations.

__________________________________

Around the island, for a single moment, everything had halted. Time had literally come to a halt. The choppy waves of the void-sea had ceased their constant wavering.

Fiti had felt her father’s anger as clear as the void-sun shined despite her being on the other side of the island. She too had been unceremoniously flung to the ground, the weight of her father's mana nearly suffocating her. Tears ran down her face as she helplessly reached out to him, trying to comfort him.

In the waiting room, Hiku had felt the familiar pressure of an old friend. It sent scintillating chills running up and down her spine. It had been a long time since she had felt anything that powerful.

Sone and Mai had felt the immense, overbearing pressure and had to fight the tears that welled up in their eyes. Behind them, the Faifekau and the trainee had fallen to their knees and were gasping for air.

The intruders felt it and were reminded of the raw power that the leader of the Tu’i commanded. Mr. Bel scowled as his stomach lurched, his hunched form doubling over from the immense pressure.

1