Ch. 22 – Offers
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone who had observed ‘Ekolu’s challenge was either still stunned, busy laughing and crying, or completely bewildered.

Mai and Sone were completely and utterly stunned. More because they had a feeling they knew the large, mostly naked man. Something about his face seemed really familiar. And his Le’o felt familiar.

“Do you think Alika has a brother?” Sone was standing now, stretching some of the tension out.

“It’s possible. But that would be kinda crazy.” Mai was doing the same although not as fervently as Sone. Her thoughts still weighed heavily. She knew that Sone felt it too, the way the memories actively slipped away ever since the Tu’i stepped out of their shadowy domain.

“I’d really like to ask him. He seems kinda cool too.” Sone had his routine that he liked to go through before doing any rigorous physical activity. It helped him focus. Especially because of all the missing pieces in his head. Something was wrong but ignoring the wrongness was always his strong suit.

As the siblings finished their preparations the Faifekau spoke up. “It is time.”

“Bro,” Mai said quietly as they followed the Faifekau. “Whatever happens, please don’t forget me.”

Sone stopped walking but his sister continued without him.

“Come on. Last one.” was all she said over her shoulder as she entered the arena ahead of him.

---

As the siblings approached the middle of the arena they noticed the telltale quivering of the shadows announcing the arrival of the Tu’i.

They had observed the phenomenon twice now so they were a little more prepared than the last couple candidates.

Out of the shadows stepped a familiar figure.

“Instructor?” Mai’s confused words floated around the arena.

“Hey there kids!” The woman known to the siblings as Instructor Manawa greeted them with a menacing smile. “Surprised?”

Sone softly palmed his face as realization dawned. Next to him, Mai connected the dots and her lips drew a grim line.

“Huh, that’s a pretty big secret.” Sone said as he suddenly felt as if his feet were rooted to the floor.

“Well, wasn’t like I was tryna deceive you,” the Tu’i answered as she sauntered towards the stunned siblings. “It was kinda coincidence really. Or fate. Whatever you wanna call it.”

“Anyways, you can call me Manawa or Wha. And, obviously, I’m a Tu’i.” As if it were the most natural thing to do, she walked right up between the two young folks and draped her arms around their shoulders. Despite them having gained some weight in the time they’d spent on the Motu, she still made them look like small children.

The woman was both tall and muscular and she carried herself exactly as one would expect, powerfully. She ruffled both their heads before taking her arms off of them and continuing to walk, circling them like a great bird of prey.

“Just like the other Tu’i, I have to make our match go a little longer. So, we’re gonna have some fun.” Her chuckle felt sinister to the siblings.

They didn’t dare move. Because their opponent was a familiar face it made them feel even more conflicted. Sone, while confused, couldn’t help but feel completely betrayed. Mai felt a smidgen of relief but was still on edge, the pain of the suspected betrayal diffused just a bit.

“I’ve watched you two tear through the tournament,” Wha continued, still taking slow, deliberate steps around the siblings. “And I’m pretty sure that one of you is the next Tu’i.”

“Bullshit!” Mai raised her voice as her eyes followed the Tu’i. For whatever reason her eyes were now filled with tears. Something deep in the recesses of her consciousness was whispering to her. Reaching out, trying to tell her something.

Sone was taken aback by his sister’s outburst. He had looked at her rather than the Tu’i and noticed the turmoil that was playing out across her face.

“Is it though?” Wha’s voice dripped with mockery. “Haven’t you both noticed how weird everything’s been? How easy it’s been for you? That little switch.” With those last words, she clicked her tongue and pantomimed flipping a light switch.

Unsure where to look, they alternated between watching the woman and checking on one another.

“How do--”

“How do I know? Because I’m a Tu’i, obviously,” she let out a shrill laugh, her tatau covered lower jaw enhancing the sinister air that surrounded her. “I bet you’ve both been wondering about those memories. If I can guess, Mai is more worried about it than you, isn’t that right?”

Their faces fell. She read them like a children's book, pretty pictures dancing a tune.

“This isn’t well known, obviously. But there’s a hell of a price to pay to become a Tu’i. And you have to be willing to pay it to join us,” She continued her languid march around the two, fiddling with her clothes as she talked. “Or unwilling. It doesn’t matter, the price is still paid.”

“Is that why we’ve been losing memories?” Mai asked as she cleared her throat, an itch forming all the way in the back. It felt like a long nail was scraping itself up and down the back of her throat.

Condescending laughter filled the arena before Wha answered. “You’ve been losing more than just memories. Memories are the cheapest form of payment.”

She continued to chuckle, amused by the siblings' naivety.

While Mai mulled over the Tu’i’s answer, Sone was intent on getting answers.

“How you so sure one of us is the Tu’i?”

“Extrapolation, my slightly stupid student. You two are the 3rd group to challenge a Tu’i and the other two challenges feature non-candidates.” She twirled a lock of hair as she continued her march, kicking out her legs like she was a soldier on parade.

“Non-candidates?” Mai followed up.

“Mmm, you wouldn’t understand if I explained. But both belong to outside powers who wanna dig their grubby little paws into this here fertile land. At least one of them does, for sure. The other, I’m still not so sure about.”

Wha suddenly stopped her march and sat down. The siblings expected her to fall but a seat appeared beneath her.

“Sit, we have some time to kill. Plus, I won’t get to fight either of you until one of you takes the initial vow.”

Behind the siblings chairs appeared, ready to be occupied. They both hesitantly sat down, still completely bewildered.

“Anyways, we have better things to talk about. Those interlopers really aren’t your concerns. Big boss man will be taking care of one of them. And the others, well there’s a little pervert on that case.”

Wha sat with one leg crossed over the other. She had both elbows propped up on her leg as she leaned forward, giving the image of giving the siblings her rapt and undivided attentions.

“Come, ask those pressing questions. I know you both have them, just waiting to be asked. Like an itch at the back of your throats.” She wiggled her finger at them as she said this.

They were both beset with fits of coughing as Wha snickered. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself. You two look way too serious.”

As their coughing subsided the siblings looked back at the Tu’i, eyes slightly watery from the fit.

“So how do we know who is gonna be the Tu’i?” Sone asked as he rubbed his chest.

“I dunno. One of you will take the vow and then we’ll know.”

“What’s the vow?” Mai asked.

“It’s when you pledge yourself to the Tu’i. You become us and we become you.”

“That doesn’t even make sense.” Sone spat.

“I know. It was the same shit I was told when I took it. I’m just continuing the stupid tradition.” Wha explained as she giggled, covering her mouth and acting coquettish.

She really enjoyed messing with the naive. They were just so refreshing when compared to her usual company.

“So,” Mai said, trying to focus. “If memories are the cheapest form of payment, what’s the most expensive?”

Wha sighed. “Jumping straight to the heavy stuff.”

She put on a face, trying to appear as if she were thinking. Really she was just trying to make the siblings nervous. And it was working.

“A life. Obviously. Or a soul. Whichever you value more.”

Sone and Mai inhaled simultaneously. The first part was expected, to a degree being that they just learned about all this.

“Or a bunch of them. The closer they are to you, the better.” Wha continued, still staring at the siblings in her unsettling fashion. With her hands cupping her face, her tatau made it appear as if she were smiling at them the whole time.

“Like I said. There’s a steep price to become one of us. The weight and value differs from case to case, but once you’re chosen you have no way out.”

Sone finally noticed how sweaty his palms were. He was sure he had never been this nervous and scared before. At least not at the same time. But then again, he was having a hard time remembering anything from before arriving on the Motu.

Mai was cradling her stomach. It felt as if it had twisted in on itself and she was ready to throw up. She wasn’t sure what she’d throw up because she couldn’t really remember having eaten anything. Now that she really thought about it, she couldn’t remember eating at all since arriving.

“What’s wrong with this place?” Mai asked, straining to get her question out.

“A lot,” Wha answered, a smile creeping across her face. “But, again, you’d have a hard time understanding right now. It’ll just make you feel worse if I explained.”

Out of the shadow, another figure emerged. As the man’s features materialized Wha stood and bowed her head to him.

“Welcome, Tamai.”

The change in her attitude confused the siblings. Despite the turmoil they were both experiencing, the appearance of another being was enough to make them momentarily forget.

The man was normal looking. Unassuming and average when compared to Wha or anyone that the siblings had met so far.

And yet, when he stepped out of the shadows their stomachs dropped. There was something dreadful about him. They felt it but were having a hard time comprehending what it was about this man that made them feel this way.

“Hello.” Was all he said as he walked forward and took a seat where Wha had previously sat.

“You have a lot of questions. And I won’t answer them.”

Both siblings felt the sudden urge to run. Their throats and mouths had dried out as he spoke. Their bodies understood who this was but their minds refused to comprehend.

Despite his inhabiting a simple chair the man made it seem like he was sitting on a throne.

“Now. Which one of you is going to die?”

1