Ch. 30
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All around the Motu, members and candidates alike rushed around in a tizzy. New parts of the island cropped up left and right, expanding the ever growing island even further. Rumbling shook the void-ocean but the surface remained glassy, docile, as the newest additions breached the surface with nary a splash.

Oppressive waves had washed over all inhabitants of the Motu during the clash of the regents. The memory of the colossal engagement would live on deep within their souls. The tumbling povai had cast a spell on all who witnessed its destructive descent. Night had been pushed back momentarily when the rumbling explosion shook the island, drowning out the darkness with its brilliance. The sonic boom that issued from the immense weapons sheathing caused many to collapse. And as it crashed into the seafloor the earthquakes pushed up new areas for the many members, and prospects, to inhabit and expand on to.

As they studiously set to fortifying and enhancing the new land, the Tu’i assembled in a luxurious meeting room. Accompanying them were the visitors.

Hiku sat, regal, in full regalia. In her preferred style, she wore a simple but elegant dress. Her shift hung loosely, comfort over style. Flanking her, in their own seats, were her fellow numen.

Vuvu sat with her small legs crossed underneath her. Much like Hiku, she preferred comfort over style, and her large sweater engulfed much of her small body. The light-reflecting glasses she always wore were perched on her head, exposing her eyeless sockets. Bue had made sure she wouldn’t keep them on, not in the presence of Nima.

Bue sat just behind Hiku, it’s large frame encompassing the woman. Hiku was a tall, powerfully built woman but she was still dwarfed by Bue, seeming to be the backdrop to her majestic foreground in the picturesque way they sat. The being wore a prim dress suit, ever the face of absolute professionalism. It’s large face hovered just above Hiku’s head as it studied the Tu’i.

Rove’s flamboyant suit was the most colorful thing in the room. Shocks of red and orange tastefully contrasted her black shirt as she coolly sat with a leg folded over the other. Her well kept, large afro glimmered under the soft candle-like glow that illuminated the room, freshly oiled. Her ferocious eyes swept across the Tu’i, silently challenging them.

“So.” Nima said as he leaned forward. For once he wasn’t dressed down, owing to the brevity of the meeting. He wore the proper attire of his long forgotten home, the all black trappings of those in mourning. “The tournament is over. So, you guys can go home.”

He flicked his wrist as if to dismiss them and looked away, his usual bored expression plastered on his face.

Hiku chuckled at the attempted joke. “Not until I get an answer.”

Vuvu spoke up, disconcerting gaze locked onto Nima. “Why do you insist on being so difficult?”

Nima smirked, still not looking at the visitors. “Cause I can.” He slowly turned his head and locked eyes with the eyeless numen. She tried to hold his gaze but quickly turned her face away, a deep sense of dread washing over her.

“It was a tie, so I don’t have to do anything for you.”

“That’s not how it works.” Hiku rubbed her chin as she spoke, trying to keep her cool. “The pact was made and you added tie conditions.”

Nima chuckled. “Well, take a look at them and tell me what they say.”

Behind Hiku, Bue’s eyes lit up as it invoked an incant in its deep, rumbling voice. Its eyes darted back and forth as it read the conditions of the pact that the two regents had agreed on.

After a few seconds it burst out laughing. “Nima, you can’t be serious?”

Nima stared back, face impassive as his silence answered for him.

Bue stood, laughter choked out of its throat as its face contorted. It stood at its full height and glowered down at the bored Tu’i.

“No!” It boomed. “It’s ridiculous!”

The outburst caught Hiku and Rove by surprise as they turned around to look up at their companion.

“What did it say?” Rove asked, intrigued by what could possibly rile up the usually unflappable Bue.

Her question floated through the room, unacknowledged, as Bue continued to glower at Nima. “Retract it.”

Nima held the gaze of the glowering numen, a slight smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.

“No.”

Bue bristled at this, its anger continuing to build. The rest of the Tu’i felt the possibility of violence and all began to move to intervene. But they were stopped by Wanu’s raised hand waving them to remain seated.

The rest of the Tu’i were just as confused as the visitors.

“Retract it!”

Bue’s deep voice resonated throughout the room as they infused mana into their Le’o. All around the assembled group the room began to break apart as the immense Le’o assailed the flimsy confines of the provided meeting room.

“Melino.” Hiku intervened before things could get out of hand. The skinny hand of the ancient grandfather clock materialized above her head, faint and wispy. It ticked counterclockwise as the command settled.

Bue sat down, eyes glazed from being hit point blank by her regents immense Le’o. Everyone else was slightly taken aback, except for Nima. He continued to smirk.

“It’s ok Hiku. They have a good reason to be mad.”

Hiku turned back to her old friend, gaze filled with questions.

“It’s not gonna be fun. For any of you.”

Despite possessing an unfathomable amount of power, Hiku was unable to read the pact she had agreed to. Only Nima and a seer as powerful as Bue could access the fine print.

“It doesn’t matter,” She shook her head as a grim smile wriggled across her lips. “We’re pretty desperate. I have to accept it.”

“I dunno if you’ll feel the same way later on.” Wanu chimed in. “There’s a reason Pulotu was left to us.”

While the rest of the Tu’i rarely worried themselves about the deeper reasons behind their obligations, they were all aware of what the island truly was. Even their newest member, who was still coming to grips with their newfound knowledge, was aware.

What the visitors had forgotten was the true purpose of the Motu. And they would always forget it, regardless of how much knowledge they thought they could hoard.

“You dodged my question before.” Hiku said, clearing her throat as an uncomfortable fog set in. “Why can’t you go?”

Nima rolled his eyes as he let out an exasperated sigh. “Not again.”

Bue, having been calmed and released of the command, spoke up. “Can we choose?”

The rest of the visitors remained clueless. Vuvu and Rove were still trying to piece things together, mindful that they didn’t end up getting hit by a command like Bue. Haiku listened and worked on the few bits she could assemble, mind racing with possible conditions.

“Why would you imprint such a condition?”

“Loophole.”

Bue clenched its large fists, long nails digging into the palms of its hands as it tried to control another fit of rage. “Bullshit.”

It’s low, rumbling growl was cut off by a wave of Hiku’s hand.

“Are you going to tell us what’s going on?”

“Nah.” Nima, bemused, propped his arm up on the arm of the chair and leaned his chin into his hand. “I’m gonna drag this out.”

Wanu and Fiti groaned but held their tongues.

“Your friend can’t tell you what the conditions are.” Surprising everyone, Talua spoke up. Its voice had finally settled as its assimilation neared completion. “Tamai added that as a part of the pact.”

Talua’s transition had been anything but seamless. Like all the other Tu’i, they were forced to endure and test themselves. The match with Wha had been a tempering, honing the instincts of the candidates who were now Talua. They had been forced to live and die the exact moment of assimilation over and over again in the span of time since the Advent.

Nima waved his hand at his newest family member. “Come here kid.”

Talua ambled forward, still a bit unsure on their feet. They knelt next to Nima as he bent over and whispered in their ear.

After a couple seconds of muted whispers they nodded and stood behind Nima. “Tamai says that I will accompany you until the conditions are met.”

_________________________________

On the edges of the void-ocean, where the roiling purple sea vehemently assimilates the dark blues of the Deep, a large ship dropped its anchors.

They kept as much distance as they could from the hateful sea, eyeing the way it seemed to do battle with the crashing waves. On the deck stood four figures, all aglitter in their gaudy get-ups.

The four figures sparkled in the noon sun, surrounded by an orange-yellow sheen as the overbearing stars light bounced off of them. Their ship was just as shiny as they were, announcing its arrival long before it came into view with hot refraction's of dispersed light..

The figures stood and stared intently at the distinct line that marked the entrance into the territory of the Tu’i. Waiting was not something this group was used to doing.

Along the horizon, just past the clearly marked border, a ship glided into view. It was just as large as their own but it seemed to be racing across the top of the wildly churning purple void-ocean, barely skimming the surface. It bore the simple insignia of the Conglomerate.

The ship's deck burst into a flurry of movement as the crew noticed the approach of the awaited vessel.

As the crew busied themselves in preparation for contact, a deep fog slunk towards them unnoticed. It crept ahead of the approaching ship, skimming just above the void-ocean. As the fog crossed onto the blues of the Deep it billowed out and darkened, blanketing the gaudy ship and the Conglomerate ship. The inhabitants of the visiting ship lost sight of the newly arrived party as dark and light clouds of mist writhed, tendrils of condensed void-water reaching out and fawning at the foreign ship.

The bustle of the crew scurrying around the deck became muffled as the strange mist and heavy fog settled over them. All sounds died, as if the volume knob had been vehemently turned down.

0