Ch. 36 – Adi
8 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The little girl fidgeted as her mother twisted her hair.

“Sit still Adi.” Her mother’s voice was soft but carried weight. Maids stood by, ready with any utensils the woman would need as she deftly braided the little one's cloud-soft hair.

The woman wore a flowing nightgown made from fine imported silks that her husband had secured during his last expedition. The little girl wore a matching nightgown, suitably cut for her little figure.

As the little one sat she twiddled her thumbs, lips pursed as she studied her mother in the large mirror they sat before. She couldn’t help but admire the woman’s beautiful, dark features. The way her nose curved and her full, plump lips pursed as she focused on her work. Lamps illuminated the room in soft light, throwing shadows across the beautiful mother's face.

Her large afro was pinned back by a silk wrap and the little girl couldn’t wait for her hair to be that long.

“Mama.” The little girl started, high pitched voice breaking the silence that had draped the room. “Will I be as pretty as you?”

The mother chuckled as her deft fingers continued to plait the little girl's hair.

“Baby, you’ll be the most beautiful girl in the world.” As she said this she planted a kiss on the little girl's forehead. “Your mama will be ugly when she is compared to you.”

The little girl beamed and giggled as she slouched a bit so she could try to get closer to her mother.

“Ah, sit straight baby.”

She made an exaggerated pouting face as she straightened her back once more.

“I just wanna know you’re there mama.”

The woman stopped braiding and let the little girl's hair go. She hugged her from behind as she kissed her cheek.

“I’m always here, my little Adi.” She showered the little girl with kisses before letting her head go and continuing their nightly ritual. She dabbed a finger in a small bottle that one of the maids held on a tray and pulled out a chunk of their natural liniment.

As she rubbed the cream between her hands the smell of coconuts filled the room. She took up the unfinished braid and continued twisting and plaiting, mixing in the cream.

The little girl sat on the floor while her mother sat on a high backed chair, both facing the large mirror that doubled as the entrance to the little girl's large closet. She sat, cross-legged and straight-backed, and let her eyes travel around the room. Looking for anything to help alleviate her boredom. Getting her hair pulled didn’t hurt as much as it used to, they had done this nightly ritual for long enough that she didn’t really register the pain anymore.

As she continued to study the reflections of all the room's occupants in the mirror, she thought she noticed an odd little shadow. As the shadows bounced from the flickering lamplight she noticed one of the maids shadows waver in the opposite direction.

“Sere, what’s that?” The little girl pointed.

All three adult women looked at the spot she was pointing and saw nothing. The maid whose shadow had flickered nodded, humoring the little girl. “Little miss, it was just the lamplight making my shadow bounce.”

Little Adi scrunched her face as she kept her gaze locked on the peculiar spot. Something in her gut told her that something had been there. But it wasn’t there anymore.

“Look forward baby, we’re almost done.” Her mother gingerly turned the little girl's face back towards the mirror as she continued braiding. “It was just the lamplight, don’t worry.”

The little girl snorted a little but obeyed, patiently sitting and watching her beautiful mother continue to work on her hair.

---

Sometime later, the mother cradled the little girl in her arms as she sang a song.

The maids had already exited, giving the two privacy.

All around them the lamp's dim light bounced. As the woman sang the shadows danced to her tune, swaying back and forth melodically. The woman stared at her child, nestled in her arms as she continued her song.

She sang of the beauty of their island home. The way the sun bounced off of the clear blue sea. The way the waves foamed as they met with the sand. The way the sea smelled on a bright summer morning, tangy air filling their lungs.

She sang of their people, dancing on the dark festival nights as they enjoyed their harvests. The way they worked as one, sharing and fostering their community. The way their dark skin glowed in the sun. The way their beautiful hair absorbed the creams and oils they made. The way their old gods were venerated, revered, respected.

She sang of the beautiful tagimoucia flower, with its deep red and accented white. Told the story of the young woman who was hunted by her family, chased into the deep woods of their people for her refusal to wed her match. Of the way the old woods appeared and took her into their fold, protecting her as the mob passed. Of how her tears, shed from the longing she felt for the one who held her heart, sprouted the beautiful flower.

As she sang tears flowed down her proud, beautiful face. 

The little girl cried as she listened to her mother's song, missing a home she had never known. She nestled her face into her mother's bosom, letting the tears flow freely as she imagined all the beautiful places her mother had known.

The woman’s song slowly came to an end. She wiped her daughter's face with a handkerchief before wiping her own. The little girl softly snored, little chest steadily rising and falling.

Gently, the woman deposited the little girl into her large bed, letting her little frame slide into the large luxurious bed. She pulled a single sheet over her prized daughter to keep her warm as she slept and took a seat beside her, large fluffy bed sinking under her weight. Love bloomed in her chest every time her eyes fell on her beautiful little one. Love and an overwhelming sense of loss. Tears threatened, large tears swelling and blurring her vision as she kept her gaze locked on her greatest source of pride, drinking in the wondrous sight of the sleeping child.

The woman motioned at the lamp and soothing darkness draped the room. Silvery slivers of light floated in through the open window, riding the calm night breeze as the moon’s gaze snuck in to partake in the woman’s reverie. It bathed them in its calming glow as the mother gingerly laid down.

She cradled the little girl with her body, covering her as if she were trying to protect her from the world. She lightly rained kisses on the child’s face, each one longer than the last.

Behind the woman, a shadow moved. It grew and expanded, solidifying before depositing a person. They fell to a knee, head bowed as they spoke.

“My lady, it is time.” The voice that issued from the shadow was neither masculine nor feminine. It was soft, plain, normal.

The woman rose, wiping her face once more with her expensive handkerchief before placing it on the pillow next to her daughter. She left one final kiss, planting it softly on the little girl's cheek before she straightened to leave.

“I love you, my little Adi.”

---

The little girl awoke with the rising sun. It peaked in through her window and greeted her with its warm morning smile.

As she stretched her little hand brushed against the elegant handkerchief.

“Mama?” Still groggy, the little girl slid out of bed, wiping the sleep from her eyes. The sun watched as the little girl searched the large room for her mother. Yawning and stretching, she searched.

First, she checked the bathroom, with it’s beautifully decorated vanity and the latest sitting toilet. The little girl frowned at the absence of her mother’s soft fragrance. No orderly row of creams and products, no fragrant soaps or morning products.

“Mama?!” Her eyes darted about, voice bouncing off the tiled interior of the beautiful bathroom. Walking back into the room she noticed the handkerchief once more, laying on her pillow. She noticed the imprint of her mother's lipstick and how it was slightly creased.

As she walked back into the room she passed the large mirror. Something moved, sliding along the shadowed areas of the room. She whirled around, sensing its movement more than anything. She squeaked as she saw the strange little shadow flicker within the shade of the bed.

“Hey!” She yelled at it as the shadow scampered towards the bathroom. “Hey!”

The little girl stomped after it, flinging the bathroom door wide as she followed. It jumped into the bathtub as it fled from her, frantically flickering.

“Stop!” Subconsciously the little girl incanted, charging her words with her Le’o. The shadow froze as the little girl bore down on it. For her, the shadow was real and thus not something to be afraid of. She reached out and grabbed it, dragging it into the room and throwing it on the ground.

“Who are you? Why are you here? Do you know where my mama is?” The little girl’s chest heaved as her breathing increased, nostrils flaring. “You’re in MY room, so you have to answer to ME!”

The little girl’s natural abilities flared as each and every word was imbued. She unleashed her Le’o and imprinted herself onto the shadow. It quivered before it slowly began to manifest before her. The lithe figure of a woman stepped out of the shadow, shaking as she held a hand up in supplication. She was faceless, head a smooth swathe of skin covering what would be her face in a macabre mask.

“Speak, who are you?” The little girl ordered.

“I am no one, little miss.” The woman flinched at the order as she hung her head and took a knee. Her voice emanated from her body. “I was left here by your mother, the honorable lady.”

“You know mama? Where did she go?” The little girl’s mood brightened at the mention of her mother.

“I cannot say, little miss.”

The little girl's face dropped, moodily tugging at her braids. The smell of the coconut oil graced the room as her little fingers pulled at the plaits.

“Then if she’s gone, does that mean you’ll be taking care of me?”

The faceless woman nodded hesitantly. “I am a measure.”

The little girl turned away. “Then help me take these out.”

__________________________________

Rua stood, releasing Talua’s hands. She paused a moment and reflected on Talua’s appearance. It reminded her so much of her long-forgotten past.

With a curt nod, she turned and walked out of the room. Whatever else needed to be said would be revealed when the time came. 

0