Chapters 3-5
259 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
CHAPTER 3

Official Report

County General Hospital

New Hebron, California

Everett cursed under his breath as his hands reached up to touch his breasts and dropped them. For the last hour he'd been alternating between staring at his hands and touching his new equipment. It made him feel like a damned pervert copping a feel inside some young girl's dress, but he couldn't help himself, his whole body had become so alien that every movement reminded him how different it had become.

The office they had shunted him off to was small and windowless and given it bore so little decoration and had collected enough dust he doubted the hospital staff used it on a regular basis. He had been waiting for hours and his curiosity had gotten the better of him. Looking through the lone file cabinet and desk had done nothing to make the time pass and given that none of the documents he found were the least bit interesting or informative he had gave up on that pursuit.

So he spent the time, turning in the less than comfortable office chair and staring up at the ceiling as he fought his growing curiosity to strip naked and have a look at his voluptuous new form. The only thing that stopped him was the police guard outside the door and the impending return of the AEGIS agents. That didn't mean his hands didn't wander. He slipped a hand inside his shirt or down his pants and each time it only took a few seconds before he forced it back out again.

Though would live another fifty or sixty years, all he could do was scowl. His transformation had stripped away his manhood and that humiliating enough, but finding himself a member of the race of people who'd spent the last twenty years hating which was the harder pill to swallow. As he sat there alone, he couldn't help but think it must be a punishment.

"Ashtar."

He whispered the name, his light feminine voice, still sounded so alien to his ears. An image of her face so terrible, so beautiful and so fierce flash through his mind. She had been like a force of nature given human form and had he not witnessed her passing with his own eyes he would never have considered she would be extinguished. She was responsible for his transformation he knew it as sure as his name was Everett Benedict Howard.

Everett heard a thump on the other side of the doorway and turned in time to see the door swing open, revealing the officer guarding the door before two figures stepped inside the room.

"About damn time!" Everett exclaimed jumping to his feet as Matthews and Van den Broeke stepped inside, the latter dressed for a night out on the town while the former looked much like someone about to enter a buisness meeting.

"Mr. Howard," Matthews said putting more than a little emphasis on the first word. It grated on Everett's nerves, but he supposed it could be worse. He didn't look like a mister anymore. It wouldn't be long before people started using female honorifics and pronouns.

"My apologies for the delay. I hope you understand. The hospital was in shambles after the attack from those creatures and as the only representatives of AEGIS on scene it was our duty to work with local officials to get things under wraps."

Van den Broeke nodded taking a seat across from Everett on the other side of the desk. Everett grimaced and slumped back down into the office chair at about the same time that Matthews seated himself beside Amelia.

The young agent shivered, pulled her coat tighter, but left it unzipped as met Everett's gaze. "By now, I'm sure you're aware of the implications of your transformation. So, I won't go into great detail. The Agency for Exemplar Governance, Investigation, and Security or AEGIS as it's more commonly known, was formed in response to the growing concern over vigilante justice and so called mega-criminal activity within the exemplar community."

"And as a newly minted exemplar I now fall within your agency's purview." Everett folded his arms across his chest and dropped them with a long sigh. Damned breasts.

"Right," Matthews said. "Make no mistake AEGIS is not just a policing agency. We provide aid to people, such as yourself, whose awakening have resulting in drastic changes, cope and when necessary create for them a new identity, but–"

"It sounds too damn good to be true. What's the catch?" Everett finished thrumming his fingers against the cold metal surface of the desk.

"All things come with a price, Mr. Howard. The point is we're here to help you. Matthews and I are both exemplars. We wouldn't be working for the agency if there was an agenda contrary to our best interests. Some exemplars are very powerful and frankly all AEGIS asks is that people like us live and act within the constraints of the law as any good citizen would," Amelia replied shifting in her seat as Everett's eyes narrowed.

"And the price?"

Matthews nodded a smile touching the corner of his lips before he spoke. "In exchange for a new identity and help adjusting to your new circumstances, you will sign a non-disclosure agreement. As far as anyone else is concerned Everett Howard died today. You will never disclose your original identity to anybody."

"That's it? You can't expect me to believe that's the only catch there's gotta be more to it."

"From time to time, AEGIS has been known to seek assistance from those exemplars we've helped adjust to their new lives. It's an addendum to the non-disclosure agreement you will sign. Call it a... consultancy clause." Agent Van den Broeke smiled reaching a hand across the desk to touch Everett's fingers as they danced across the surface of the desk.

Everett jerked back, almost slipping his hands away from the agent, but instead allow her to clasp her fingers around his palms. She had a sweet little smile and as Everett looked into her eyes, he saw real compassion looking back at him. "It must be hard. Adjusting to exemplar abilities is never easy, but you've undergone an incredible physical transformation which makes it so much harder. Let us help you."

Everett's cheeks flushed, and he felt a sensation he accepted he'd never again experience again, sexual arousal. Van den Broeke was quite attractive even if her figure leaned toward the boyish side. As his nipples hardened, he smiled back at her and nodded. He had the libido and sex drive of a healthy young woman and if his attraction toward the agent was any indication it would be one hell of an adjustment.

His smile melted into a frown as took in several deep breaths. He was a woman now and still attracted to the fairer sex. Did that make him a lesbian? It turned his stomach, and he scowled at the agent a new sense of revulsion settle in.

"Something wrong?" The agent blinked and cast a furtive glance toward her superior.

"Everything!" Everett closed his eyes and took another deep breath letting the revulsion and sexual tension slip away. "I've been thinking. This consultancy clause you spoke of... What will it entail?"

"We wouldn't be expecting you to put on tights and jump across a building in a single bound if that's what you're worried about." Amelia replied. "From time to time, we may call on people with certain abilities to assist with an investigation. For instance, I'm what's called a psychometric retro-cognizant. I can view the past by touching objects present during those events. If you had that ability AEGIS might call you in to get a read on a crime scene. That's just one possibility, if you happened to have powers similar to someone who was struggling to control theirs we might call on you to help them master them."

"I need time to mull it over."

"We can give you a full copy of the NDA before you sign it and help put you in touch with legal council so you're aware of the ramifications," Matthews said.

"In the meantime we need your help. If you could tell us what happened. My retro-cognizance wasn't particularly helpful this evening and there's some concern that whoever or whatever was at work here may be planning something big."

Everett bit his lip and tightened his grip around the agent's hands. There was something soothing about her touch and it helped him to still his raw nerves as he told his story. He spoke glancing around and paused between sentences, influenced by a faint fear that the creatures might return and attack. Nothing happened and as he continued, he grew more confident.

He had only been at it a few minutes when a random thought popped into his mind as he leveled his gaze at Agent Van den Broeke. 'This woman can help me.'

'Yes.' A voice responded. It did not belong to him, nor either of the agents. He blinked and looked around before something tugged at the back of his mind. Amelia tried to pull away, but without even trying his hands clamped down onto hers and her eyes widened as the world around them twisted and turned, before everything washed away. Matthews called out their names as the darkness consumed them both, but he was already too late.

dingbat

The past called to them a distant whisper carried across the winds of their minds. At first there was nothing save the voice, blackness stretched out as far as either could see. The only confirmation they were not alone was a general awareness of the other's presence. Neither Amelia nor Everett spoke, they didn't yet know how to communicate.

Neither knew it yet, but they had entered a realm of pure thought. Even if they knew, they would have never understood the implications and how it would mold the rest of their lives. Time passed. One moment it was dark and the next bright.

As both watched, a scene resolved itself before them. It was one familiar to Everett. He was looking upon recent happenings through his own eyes. For the agent, it was a look at events the import of which she had only just guessed at and in which she wouldn't understand until much later in her investigation. It did, however, offer an important glimpse into Everett's character and personality.

"Get a room," Everett voice echoed through both of their minds as the faint 'thump' of a pair of elevator doors proceeded it.

'Dammit every damn time with those two. Did either of them ever think that maybe the rest of the world doesn't want to see them slobbering all over each other? It's disgusting!'

At first Amelia thought she was listening to Everett's thoughts as he expressed them, but as his voice rattled around inside her mind she realized that they were musings that had already passed from his mind.

She'd never been fond of public displays of affection, but the more she heard the less she agreed with the old man. It became obvious he had a strong bias against these women and Amelia as she witnessed these events, her ire grew from irritation to anger.

'It's about time they each find husbands and nip this same sex relationship nonsense in the bud.'

Under other circumstances, that would have been the final straw, but the agent had no control of what she was seeing. A sense of resignation settled over her and she watched her anger bubbling under the surface. She became less and less aware of her own thoughts and feelings until there was nothing but the vision for either herself or Everett.

Everett, winced and leaned on his cane, every day it got harder and harder to move about, but that night was of particular importance to him. The old man didn't need to go far. He gripped the bouquet in his free hand and limped forward. When he reached the end of the hall, he paused, checking to make sure he had his keys on him, before proceeding to the exit.

The sidewalk was littered with the usual trash. Not actual garbage, but people. "This neighborhood's gone to hell," he muttered under his breath then joined with the throngs of people. His pace was slow and arduous and he had as little patience for it as the ill-mannered youth that passed him. It was the quickest pace he could manage, but for someone who had once prided himself on his physical prowess it grated on his nerves to move so slow.

Several blocks away from where he had started, he knelt down on the sidewalk, his knees popped and threatened to give in, but he leveraged himself with his cane and kept himself from toppling over. He gritted his teeth, then set the bouquet down, on an innocuous portion of sidewalk. It was that spot, almost twenty years ago that he'd lost her, his daughter the only person in his life who'd meant anything to him after the death of his wife.

He closed his eyes, letting tears cascade down his face before he shook his head and opening his eyelids again. He wiped the tears free and climbed back to his feet.

"Sir are you okay?" A hand touched his shoulder and he looked up to see a man staring down at him.

"Don't touch me you damn--" he cut himself short before uttering that last word. Slurs like that, the one that started with an 'n' could get a man killed in the wrong part of town.

"Whatever man, I just checkin' to see if you were alright." The stranger stepped back holding both his hands up. For just a moment when he'd seen the stranger's chocolate skin he believed he was looking on his daughter's murderer, but no he was too short and barely out of his teens, far too young to be the one responsible.

Everett groaned, but with considerable effort climbed to his feet. He scowled at the stranger than watched him disappear into the crowd. For a moment, he lingered, staring down at the flowers, fighting back more tears, then he stumbled back toward the apartment building. Only halfway there when the ground started to quake, he lost his balance and fell down on one knee.

An earthquake? No, that wasn't it, the tremors continued, one large shake after the other almost like... something very large had been running through the city. The thudding became stronger, and Everett struggled to his feet.

His gut told him he needed to get out of there, but before he'd taken a dozen steps a great hulking mass appeared from around a corner. It was a thing of nightmares, a giant with dozens of blood-red eyes, and skin as dark as the night. It had a massive cube in its arms and it appeared to be fending off attacks from a much smaller opponent.

Everett froze in place and watched the monster spin around to face the other fighter. Every fiber of his being told Everett to get out of there, but it was almost as if something were calling to him. Exemplars were nothing new although it was only in the last few decades they had come into the public eye. Some calling themselves heroes, wore outlandish costumes and ran around in a cape wreaking all sorts of havoc. Many of them were well meaning and Everett would say they were fools. They were not the ones who concerned him, however, it was the ones who used their powers to do terrible things.

A statuesque woman, dwarfed by the massive hulk, stood in direct opposition to it. She had flowing teal hair that whipped and whirled in the air even though there was no wind. One arm, and part of her chest sparkled as if made from ice or perhaps some form of crystal and was, from the looks of it, was inert. She held her other hand out and a shimmering bubble of blue energy appeared around her just before the giant's fist came crashing down.

Her barrier held, but as soon as the creature's fist smashed into, it flexed like it was ready to burst. Its fist came down again, and against her bubble held, but this time she staggered back as if it had done her actual physical harm. The whole thing entranced Everett, and he knew without being told what the outcome of the duel would be.

"No!" Everett screamed out as the massive beast's fist came down a third and final time. The woman's shield popped, and the fist crashed into her with devastating force. Everett dropped his cane and before he even knew what he was doing he ran. Not away from the chaos, but toward it. He wasn't sure where he found the strength to dash, or to stay on his feet unsupported, but it was as if all the pain and weakness in his knees had evaporated.

The hulk mass lifted its fist then stared down at the woman inert form before turning away. A short man in a stark white lab coat, the same man Amelia had seen in her previous vision, knelt down next to the indentation left by the giant's fist and Everett was just close enough to hear him speak.

"Ashtar, I must admit I'm impressed that you've lasted this long, but now as you lay bleeding there on the ground and your body slowly turns to ice I can not help feel that there was something more I might have done to make your death even more unpleasant. Farewell Ashtar, I'd love to stick around and watch you die, but well... I have more important things to do."

He grinned then spun away, his face contorted into a hideous and unnatural grin. His massive companion stopped just long enough to scoop him up then the two sped away at a pace Everett would have thought impossible for such a huge creature.

He collapsed at edge of the hole and looked down at the woman. At first, Everett believed she was dead, but then she turned her head and looked at him. Her body was bent and broken, and there was blood everywhere. Bones, jutted out in several places, and he turned his head and loosed his lunch all over the side of the road.

"Everett. T-Take my hand."

He didn't stop to question her, somehow he knew she intended him no harm. Everett never thought to question how she knew his name. He reached out and touched her hand, and gasped, pulling his arm away. Though made of ice, it didn't seem to be melting.

She gasped and gritted her teeth. "The other one. H-hurry, there isn't much time."

He complied, but nearly dropped it when he clasped hold of her hand. It was pulsing, and its warmth extended into his arm and into his chest.

"So much anger! Hatred courses through you and threatens to blot out a once gentle spirit. You blame many for the acts of one. Let that go... for the sake of humanity. Put your bigotry aside. There is still hope for you. Your hatred is so very small compared to the terrible acts I once committed. If I can find redemptions so can you. Forgive me for what I am about to do."

Her grip on his hand tightened, and the pulsing grew more intense. He tried to break free, but despite being so close to death her grip was like iron. Her body glowed and became so bright it blinded him. He tried to bring his hand up to guard his eyes, but it had no effect nor did closing his eyelids. Something stirred inside him, coupled with a brilliant stabbing pain.

"Don't forsake them you are their only hope. You. must. stop. Chemosh." A series of coughs interrupted her last words, but when the final utterances escaped her lips, the world descended into darkness and Everett a blissful warmth overtake him.

CHAPTER 4

Official Report

County General Hospital

New Hebron, California

The agent was the first to come awake, sitting bolt upright with a suddenness that prompted Matthews to jerk back and land on his posterior. Amelia gasped and looked at her hands. More than a little relieved to find they were not the gnarled and wrinkled one she'd witnessed in the vision.

"S-s-sir," she said struggling to pronounce that one syllable word.

She traced her hands along the grout between the tiles in the floor, realizing for the first time she must have fallen from her seat after loosing consciousness.

"I saw what... happened... A-ll of it... I can... confirm it was Che-Chemosh."

Each word was a struggle. She paused for breath far more than she normally would have and stopped short before she went into more detail. Breathing was hard too, but as she took in breath after breath her chest loosened up.

"Agent?"

"I'm fine... Sir. Just give... Me a minute to..."

She gritted her teeth and turned her head to watch as Everett came awake just a few feet away. He emitted a soft feminine groan and Amelia shook her head in disbelief. Had she not been there to witness the Everett's transformation she never would have believed the young woman who was sprawled face first on the ground was the same person as the old man.

If the effect on Amelia had been drastic, it was worse for Everett, who struggled so hard to bring in air he could only breathe in short, jagged bursts. As his breathing slowed the two locked gazes and the agent's own breath caught in her throat as a wave of fear slam into her with such strength it almost seemed to have taken physical form.

Never to one to be cowed by fear, she gritted her teeth and fought it, baffled by its sudden onslaught. Realization was slow to come, but when it struck, it left her breathless. It was not her own fear she was experiencing, but Everett's.

Her trip into Everett's memories had consequences she never would have dreamed possible. She grabbed him by the shoulders and looked him in the eyes his fear subsided as he looked back. A sense of awareness had formed between the two and it was far stronger than either would bring themselves to admit. Their feelings were an open book, either could sense the emotions emanating from the other, but thoughts were a different matter.

"Amelia, what the hell just happened?" Matthews grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back.

"Sir, I don't know how, but I got pulled into Everett's memories. I witnessed the entire attack through his eyes."

"A new extension of your abilities?"

She shook her head and let her other hand slide free from Everett's shoulder. Matthews held his hand out and she took it allowing him to pull her up from the ground. "No sir, I think, it might have been my abilities interacting with Everett's."

"Everett? I was unaware you two were on a first name basis, agent."

She shook her head trying to erase the fog that clouded her mind, but try as she might she couldn't quite shake it. "Sir, there's more. I don't know if it's an after effect of being pulled into his memories or if it's something else, but Mr. Howard and I seem to have developed an empathic bond."

Matthews ran a hand over his domed head and let a sigh escape his lips as he stared at the pair. "This new development makes me more than a little uneasy. After Dr. Hassebroek has finished with our friend here, I want him to give you a look over."

Amelia looked like she'd just swallowed something foul, but didn't utter a word in objection. She nodded and uttered a single 'yes, sir' before her superior shuffled out the room. He didn't offer a reason, but Amelia believed she knew why he'd left in such a hurry. Matthews was reporting to their superiors.

"Who's Dr Hassebroek?" Everett asked rising to his feet and staring at the doorway that the other agent had just vacated.

"He's a doctor we keep on staff. He's a bit of an ass, but you get used to him."

"Great, can't wait to meet him."

dingbat

"Goddamn doctors." Everett cursed shifting in his seat and tugging at his hospital gown. Every movement, was a reminder of how his body had changed. He was uncomfortable, and it showed in his body language. He felt like he was wearing a pair of coveralls that was two sizes too small, which had created bulges in strange and unexpected places.

Everett grimaced shaking his head trying to clear the vague, but steady, sense of emotions that were being projected from Van den Broeke's mind to his own. The how or why was lost to him, but it was disconcerting. Amelia might have given the impression she was calm and collected, but under the surface there were feelings as deep and as numerous as any other person. Which for Everett, whose range of emotions was about as varied as the sterile gray and white walls of the hospital, it proved to be more than a little distracting.

The door swung open and a tall doctor with thick-rimmed glasses stepped inside the room, letting the door close behind him without looking back. "Ah, good nicht, mein name ist Doctor Albert Hassebroek and you are as the chart says Fräulein Harris, Ja?"

Hassebroek took a seat across from Everett a smile creasing his mustachioed face.

Everett nodded. "That's right, doctor."

"Yes, yes, sehr gut. The attack on the hospital delayed me. I consult with the AEGIS, from time to time. You may be comforted to know I specialize in what you would call exemplar medicine. From what I read of your case, you have experienced some... How do you say... unexpected effects, from your transformation? I must first start with the examination und we can go from there. This is gut, ja?"

This was the doctor, Agent Van den Broeke had described as an ass? He didn't strike Everett as rude or uncivil. Goofball was the word that sprang to Everett's mind when he stared up at the doctor, as he twirled the end of his mustache with his pen.

"Don't really think I have much of a choice, doc. Let's get this over with."

"I must ask you to remove your clothes as you have changed in such, as they say, a drastic measure I must perform gynecological exam."

"You're kidding, right?"

Hassebroeke's smile evaporated from his face and he stared back at Everett between creased brows. "Kidding? Why would I kid? Undress now."

Everett saw where the agent had been coming from. He grimaced and untied the knot in the back of his hospital gown before peeling it away from his chest revealing a pair of large perky breasts. He pulled the bottom of the gown free and tossed it down on the ground exposing the rest of his feminine parts for the doctor to see.

"Is this really necessary?" Everett's cheeks burned, as he glanced in the doctor's direction, not able to bring himself to make eye contact.

"I would say so. One can not determine the extent of your transformation without looking."

'Take it like a man, Everett' he thought to himself, the irony of it not lost on him.

He winced and closed his eyes as the doctor's gloved paws reached out toward him. When Hassebroeke's hands passed over his breasts, Everett's eyes snapped back open, and he lurched back staring at him with his mouth hanging open and eyes wide.

"DAMMIT, THAT'S COLD!"

Hassebroeke grimaced, but didn't offer a response. Instead, he retrieved a smartphone from the breast pocket of his lab coat. His accent seemed to soften as he spoke into the phone.

"Patient ist a newly awakened individual who has undergone what appears to be complete sexual reversal, the drastic decrease in physical age und race change. This is a most unusual combination of changes. Her new physical age I would estimate to be in her early twenties. Breasts development is consistent with a young woman in that age group. She has blue eyes, an unusual mutation among Afroamerikaner, which might suggest a blending of her former kaukasisch genetic structure with the new. Will need to run a complete genetic comparison."

"You're using the wrong damn pronoun doc, I may not look it, but... I'm still a man where it counts."

Hassebroeke let out a short derisive laugh. He set the phone down on a nearby instrument tray before swapping it out for a light and flashed it in Everett's eyes. "Open your mouth und say ahhh."

Everett rolled his eyes, but complied and gritted his teeth as the doctor's pressed his hands into his neck, and abdomen. It proved to be a standard examination, but as Everett shivered against the cold, he wondered why the doctor hadn't allowed him to get dressed again. It didn't take him long to get his answer.

"I will need to run tests, but so far the patient seems to be in gut health. Sehr remarkable considering just a few hours ago she was an eighty-six-year-old man. To all outward appearance secondary und primary sexual characteristics are female. Her vulva looks to be full developed, but I have yet to exam her vaginal cavity."

Everett his hands up and shaking his head as the doctor spoke. "Don't you dare! If you think I'm going to let you stick your–"

"Ms. Howard. Do you have any idea what can go wrong with a transformation of this as you say magnitude? It's important that I perform a full examination to ensure that your new anatomy developed correctly. You might bleed out und die if an artery did not form or if your urethra was malformed, it could lead to a number of komplikationen any one of which would kill you or at the very least make it difficult to urinate."

"You can tell all that from a physical examination? Shouldn't you take an MRI or something?"

"Ja, ja, ja!" The doctor waved a dismissive hand at him. "We will do that! If there is something is wrong with your anatomy. In the rare event that there is one, the sooner I detect a flaw the sooner I can correct it. If it's something that can be corrected."

"Alright, alright, I get your point." Everett lowered his hands and winced as the doctor loomed over him. Hassebroeke hesitated and Everett scowled. "Well, have at it. I'm not getting any younger."

The doctor chuckled and grabbed what Everett could only described as a duck-billed torture device from hell and held it out for the new woman to see. "Lie down on your back."

Everett positioned himself as directed and followed each of the doctor's instructions as he issued them. What followed was one of the most uncomfortable and humiliating experiences of his life. By some small mercy, it was over quickly, but as he looked up at the doctor, he couldn't help feel as if he had violated him. God, how did women stand going through this shit year after year?

"Patient's anatomy appears fully female, but will need to run an MRI in order to verify," Hassebroeke said setting the device a speculum, back down on the tray and retrieved the smartphone.

"Great news doctor, just what I wanted to hear." Glanced down at his breasts and up at the doctor again. "Can I get dressed now?"

Hassebroeke scowled and slipped the smartphone back into his pocket. "Of course, In addition to the MRI, we will need to test your psychical performance and abilities, but that should not require you to remain naked."

"More tests?" Everett shook his head and gritted his teeth as he snatched the hospital gown from the floor. "Just great, I always wanted to know what it felt like to be a lab rat."

"None of the other tests require my presence. Someone will be in to cater to your petty needs, gute nacht." The doctor grimaced one last time at Everett and disappeared from the room without casting a single glance back at his patient.

"What an odd fellow."

Everett scratched his head and watched the doctor depart. He glanced down at his breasts, his cheeks burned as he thought of the examination. As he dressed he experienced a small measure of relief once the gown was in place, but shivered against the cold. He was very aware of just how much he had changed and was far more self-conscious when in the buff than he would have been before his transformation. The gown sufficed to satiate this new, more pervasive, sense of modesty to a degree, but it did almost nothing to keep him warm.

He let out a long sigh, laid down on the exam bed and stared up at the ceiling as he awaited the next round of tests. What the hell had he gotten himself mixed up in?

CHAPTER 5

Official Report

County General Hospital

New Hebron, California

Everett slid his hand across his forehead, wiping sweat away before it dripped into his eyes. He ran, his feet pounding against the treadmill with ease. He'd been at it for a solid ten minutes, and despite the obvious perspiration he felt like he could go on for hours. Even when they had increased the speed, and maxing it out, Everett was more than able to keep up. Considering that this was just the latest of a series of tests designed to gauge his physical abilities, it was a small wonder he experienced so little strain. He would have been elated at his unexpected display of athletic prowess, but his breasts, which jiggled and bounced on his chest, only reminded him of the steep price he had paid for his newfound energy, vigor and endurance.

"That'll be enough." The technician scratched his cauliflower ear on his right side with his pen before slipping it into the clipboard in his arms, stepped up to the treadmill pressing a button on the machine, decreasing the speed in increments before bringing it to a stop. He glanced at Everett's chest, and the pronounced outline of his nipples showing through the gown, before letting out a short, forced cough and turned his face away with crimson cheeks. Everett glanced down at his breasts and grimaced realizing for the first time, what why the technician seemed so uncomfortable.

"All right so..." He paused again issuing another cough before continuing.

"So, let me get started by giving a little bit of background. There are five levels of physical abilities, the first three can apply to regular humans and exemplars: below average, average, athletic, sub-apex, and apex. We've done a complete test of your physical abilities, first and most noteworthy you're capable of lifting in excess of four-hundred pounds, and running at least twenty-five miles per hour, but considering you ran on the maximum setting of the treadmill there's a good chance you could do better. Your reflexes are damn quick, with a near-instantaneous response time, that I've only witnessed in one other exemplar."

"You're more capable than the average human, even most athletes, which puts you at what we call a sub-apex level of physical abilities. We also know you have telekinetic abilities, but given you seem to have developed a sort of empathic bond with Agent Van den Broeke and your quick reflexes it may suggest you have a much broader range of psychic abilities."

Everett shook his head, irritation radiating through the emotional bond with Van den Broeke before letting out a long sigh and turning toward the technician. "What do reflexes have to do with psychic abilities?"

The technician paused, scratching at the two days worth of stubble on his face and let out a long sigh before continuing. "Well, I can't say for certain, as psychic abilities are notoriously hard to gauge, but it might be indicative of what we call finite precognitive abilities. You may sense events split seconds before they happen, which would be why you appear to have nearly instantaneous reflexes. It's conjecture at this point, but, if it ends up being true, it would go a long way in explaining things."

Everett blinked, and bit his lip. "I can see the future?"

The technician grimaced and rubbed the back of his neck. "Possibly, it's hard to say at this point. We may never know for sure, as I said, psychic abilities are difficult to gauge, and it's complicated even further since so many short-term pre-cogs don't even realize they have the ability. Given enough time, you may exhibit other precognitive abilities which would give us a more definite clue. Until then, I suggest you keep a daily journal and document anything unusual you may experience like strange hallucinations or a strong sense of déjà vu."

"Then again," he said pausing and stroking his chin. "Anything you might notice that seems just a little out of the ordinary might be important. Even just the littlest things would go a long way in helping determine the true extent of your abilities."

Everett nodded and folded his arms across his chest in some vain hope that his breasts might shrivel up and disappear. If only he could be so lucky.

"A-and this body?" Everett said, letting out a shriek of frustration, dropped his dainty little hands and clenched both at his side.

"I'm afraid there's not a lot we can about that for the foreseeable future. In most instances where a transformation accompanies an Exemplar awakening, the abilities of the individual help to maintain the new form. I encountered an individual a few years back who underwent a full gender reversal like yourself. This person attempted to transition back to a female with the use of hormones and even surgery, but after her body saw the slightest progress, it reverted to its new default. Given your increased healing factor I'd say there's a good chance that the case would be the same for you."

"What the hell do you expect me to do? I can't live like this! I look like I just crawled my way out of the goddamned ghetto!" Everett threw his hands out, and shrieked.

"Uh, well. You'll really need to discuss this with your transition specialist." The technician said taking a step back. There was a fire in his eyes and a stiffness to his jaw that had not been there before.

Everett scowled and turned away.

"Are we done here?"

"Yeah, we're done." The technicians scowled and turned his back. "You can wait in here, until an Agent comes to collect you."

Everett watch him disappear and slammed the door shut behind him with more force than necessary. With a sigh, Everett sunk down into the nearest seat, palm his face in his hands and waited.

4