Chapter 1.1: Trial Run
98 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our gazes meet. The humanoids seem to be eyeing me hungrily, as if the squirrel wasn't enough for them. As they rise and start to reposition themselves to better face me, I focus on their actions as if my life depends on it. One second becomes two, then four, and then eight. I observe the creatures and pay close attention to their movements. They are humanoid, though slightly shorter than an average adult male human, roughly around 5 feet tall. Their faces are scrunched and twisted, with disproportionately large eyes and teeth, and a nose that stuck out a bit too far. They are entirely bald, and their ears are long with a tapered point. There was a great deal of blood and viscera caked around their gaping maws, which were filled with rows of canines and incisors, all jumbled in there as if they were jammed in at the last minute without care for their placement. A forked tongue swept around the lips and over the teeth as though to wet them for the next meal. Their muscles are well defined and, while appearing slightly malnourished, should not be underestimated. I can see one of them moving a large wooden club with little effort or strain, indicating that these muscles have quite the high level of efficiency. Their joints and usual anatomical features seem to be roughly analogous to that of humans, aside from the facial features and the lack of a fifth finger, instead only having four. Their stomachs are noticeably distended, appearing to have gorged on a large amount of who knows what before arriving at this place. They are in various states of dress, luckily all having at least a loincloth, with some even having a cloth piece large enough to cover parts of their chests. They are not wearing shoes, and the four digit theme has continued on here. Even though they have four toes and differ in may other ways, they at least still appear to be plantigrade. Combined with all of the other evidence so far, I can guess that they probably have a similar musculoskeletal, tendon and artery system to that of humans. As long as that continues to be the case, I believe that I have a chance.

One of the humanoids, I guess I will call them "goblins" for ease, steps (dashes) forward slowly (quickly). He(?) is wielding a small sword, or maybe a large dagger, with a blade that appears to be roughly twenty inches in length. It is lucky that he is approaching alone, as this will make my job quite a bit easier. There is still a bit of distance between us, so I slowly (quickly) take the CRKT out of my pocket and flick it open, switching to a reverse grip. While it would be nice in this situation to have a blade longer than 3.5 inches, at least I am familiar with this knife to some extent. The distance continues to shrink. 8 meters. 6 meters. 4 meters. A half beat later, the goblin lunges at me with the dagger in its right hand. I lower my body and step forward with my left foot as I use my left hand to slap the back of his hand that is holding the dagger to the right. After moving the dull blade out of it's collision course with my chest, I step forward with my right foot while extending my right arm to slash with my knife. The knife finds its target slowly (quickly) as it tears into the right armpit of the goblin, severing the tendon attaching the pectorals to the upper arm, which should disable it for the remainder of its life, however short that may be. I then step forward with my left foot diagonally to the right while switching my grip on the knife to a hammer style grip with the blade facing towards me. I utilize this momentum to rotate my torso so that my chest is toward his back while wrapping my left arm around his head with his chin being cupped in the crook of my elbow. I continue my embrace by raising the chin slightly by using my weight as leverage on my upper arm on the fulcrum of his shoulder while bringing my right arm above his right shoulder, unimpeded by his right arm which is now unable to properly react to what is occurring as I have severely reduced its range of motion. After my right arm finishes the wrap, the knife blade is brought straight to the left side of the goblins neck. I put strength into the muscles on my back as I open up my arms away from each other. The blade bites deep into his neck, slicing through the jugular vein and the carotid artery before biting into the windpipe and tearing through it, then cutting effortlessly through the muscle and vascular tissue on the right side of what used to be his neck. As my arms separate I rotate my torso to the right while taking a step sweeping rearwards with my right foot, utilizing the inertia of his body as I throw him to the ground to reposition and create distance.

As I look up I can see the two other goblins, just now starting to move, eyes filled with rage. The goblin that I threw down seems to be having a hard time breathing, or maybe is having a problem with a lack of blood flow to the brain, but I'll get back to him in a second. My first priority is to eliminate these two hostiles as quickly as possible. The goblin on the left is wielding a large wooden club, while the goblin on the right is using a stick with what appears to be one of the tree thorns lashed onto it at the end, forming a makeshift spear. I collect myself as the distance closes. 9 meters. 7 meters. 5 meters. The goblin with the spear thrusts forward.

2