♧ [V1 || Chapter 08] ♧
735 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[continuation of Marise's POV]

"What's that, young miss?" I cocked my head in confusion. Does the miss even know how to read or write letters at this age?

"I saw the butler put this letter here yesterday," she giggled. Her small hands ripped the envelope open, the words written on a single piece of black paper. As she skimmed the letter, her eyes narrowed.

"What is it, miss?"

She frowned. She turned towards me as she tapped the letter.

"Read it for yourself"

"Forgive me, but I don't know how to read, young miss. Do you know what it says?" I frowned. Orphans were illiterate in this country so, all I saw were squiggles. 

"O—of course, I do! Who do you think I am?" she scoffed haughtily.

We looked back at the contents of the letter together, her face somber and mine, confused. We were in such deep concentration that we didn't even realise the Duke had appeared in front of us. Apparently, he wanted to go to the library in search for a book but, instead found his attention caught by the two of us who were deeply engrossed with the letter in our hands. I quickly straightened up and bowed to the master of the house, giving my greetings like a proper maid should.

"What on earth are you two doing so seriously?" he chuckled. And then, his eyes drifted towards the paper in his daughter's hands.

"What's that, Evangeline?" he asked. She quickly shoved the letter to me and ran to her father, clutching his leg.

"Marise found it!" she pointed her finger towards me.

"W— what?" I stuttered. Wait, why is she saying I found it?

Curious, Duke Alcmene stretched out his hand, asking me to hand the letter over. It's not like I could say no! My hands trembled as I obediently gave it to him. The duke was a terrifying man so, I couldn't defend myself and say that it was actually the young miss who found it. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure he would likely believe the words of his daughter over a mere servant.

As he read the letter, the frown on his face deepened. The temperature dropped around us and his face contorted in anger. I shook even more at his expression and even the young miss took a few steps back from her father.

"Tell me, did you really find this letter?" he looked up from the black paper, his amethyst eyes bore intensely into mine. 

"T— that.... i— is—"

I was so terrified that I couldn't speak properly. What was going on? What did the letter say?

Before I could properly form my sentences, the young miss cut in.

"Yes! Marise was the one who found it! Believe me, father," she pouted, shaking the brown curls on her head. E—eh? Why does she keep insisting that I found it?

Duke Alcmene pinched the bridge of his nose and gave me a stern glare.

"Come to my office tonight"

I almost fainted right there and then.

Did the miss know the contents after all? Is she placing the blame on me to avoid her father's anger by trying to make me the scapegoat?

My face darkened with anger. I knew nobles didn't think about anyone other than themselves! I fell into despair and anxiety. If the Duke submitted a complaint to the orphanage, I would probably be beaten to death by the matron.

As I entered the Duke's office that night, I shook like a leaf. Once he sends me back, that's it for me—it's the end of my life. The matron cares deeply about those whose ranks are higher than hers. An insignificant orphan such as me would be a mere pebble to throw to the side of the road.

"Marise...." the Duke started.

"Y— yes?" I closed my eyes, prepared for whatever is going to be thrown at me.

"How would you like to work here?"

".... H—huh?" I blinked in surprise. Wait what? Did I hear that right? I thought he was going to scold me.

The duke raised his head and smiled at me.

"The letter you found—it was on the details of a soon-to-be-attempted assassination between two traitors working in the mansion. They were sending secret letters to each other through the library. Of course, they carefully hid it in a children's book so that none of the adults would even touch it and they also knew that Evangeline wasn't the type to go there in the first place"

My face paled. A— Assassination? The letter contained such scary things?

"I would like to commend you for your work. When I asked my daughter this evening, she insisted that it was you who found it and that you were the one who saw one of the butlers putting the letter in there yesterday"

"I— I—"

"You have rather sharp eyes for such a young child. Thanks to you, we've already tracked down the traitors and sent them to the dungeon. As a reward, I will submit an application to the matron of the orphanage to employ you in this household. Luckily, it looks like my daughter has taken a liking to you as well."

I couldn't mouthed a single word out, I simply gaped like a fish. Huh? What's happening? This development is happening way too fast for my simple mind to process.

My mind was still whirling as the duke complimented me a little more before dismissing me out. I was in such a daze that I didn't even realise that the young miss had appeared in front of me. She tapped me lightly on the elbow and made a thumbs-up sign.

"(I'm) Safe, huh?"

Safe? What did she—Wait! Hang on! There's no way..... 

Did the miss allow me to have credit for this incident, knowing exactly what was in those letters? I doubted her earlier when she claimed that she understood the contents but, maybe she actually did know how to read it? After all, why else would she say that I'm safe now?

Could it be that she knew that today was my last day here and because of that, she planned all of this so, that I could stay? If so—

"The young miss is a genius!" I teared up.

"Huh? I—I mean I guess so? Now (that I'm in the clear), there's nothing to worry about," she laughed proudly.

"Young miss!" I clasped my hands together. She's telling me not to worry about being sent back! What a kind-hearted miss! It was then that I decided.

"I promise to whole-heartedly serve you forever!"

Once I become employed in the household, I will study hard to become the young miss's full-time personal maid. I might have hated all those selfish nobles before her but, now I know that the young miss is definitely different.

"H— huh? O— okay, whatever you say," she gave me a strange expression as she scratched her head.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

20