♧ [V1 || Chapter 12] ♧
621 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"Search the west wing! Second team, search the south wing!"

"Yes, sir!"

The sound of stamping feet padded away to silence. In a beautiful garden filled with red roses and pink hydrangeas, the tiny chirping of swallows blended in together with the spring breeze. The distinctive scent of morning dew permeated the air and all seems to be peaceful, except for the frenzied guards running off in every direction in search of something.

And that something is me, of course!

Rustle, rustle, rustle.

POP!

I stuck my head out from a bush, a few leaves sticking to my hair. I turned my head towards the direction where Sir Klein had disappeared off to.

"Damn! They caught on to my replacement really fast, huh?"

And by replacement, I meant the makeshift human-sized pillow in my bed. I figured that it would give me at least an hour's head start before someone would notice. But, I seem to have underestimated Sir Klein's sharp senses. Why was he even wandering outside my room so early in the morning anyways?

As soon as I reached the garden, he was already running around giving orders to his men and forming a search team to catch me.

"I just wanted a few hours to myself. Is that so much to ask for?"

I was so tired of having someone hovering around my shoulders every day. If it wasn't Marise, it was the guards. If it wasn't the guards, it was my parents. And then, the never-ending cycle of chaperones goes on forever.

So, I decided to step out from their watch, just for a little while at least.

I even woke up extra early today, at the break of dawn, which was an hour before Marise would come knocking on my door to wake me up. I quickly dressed up in a male servant's attire which I had stole— ahem, borrowed. I also borrowed a rope from the storage room, allowing me to climb down the balcony from my bedroom.

Now,  the problem for me right now is—

"Where am I supposed to go?" I mumbled under my breath.

There are only so many places around the estate for me to hide. They'll find me sooner or later if I kept dwindling. Should I take this chance to sneak outside? I know that the alarm will trigger when an unknown person enters the barrier but, I wonder if it will trigger if I try to leave.

Hmmm. But, father will get extremely angry if I go out unescorted though. And I'd rather not risk being grounded for months.

As I was weighing out my decisions, I suddenly felt a tingling sensation from the back of my neck.

"Huh?"

Just as I had turned my head around, a strange white light had disappeared from my vision. The glow came from behind a thick layer of trees leading to the private forest behind the manor. As someone whose curiosity always gets the better of her, my feet was already slowly moving towards it.

I guess that’s where I’m headed!

As I waded my way through the trees, I began to realise that something felt off. But, by the time I noticed it, it was too late. When I glanced back to where I had come from, I saw that my path had been closed off.

"W—what?"

Did I just imagine it or did those tree branches moved? It was almost like it was blocking me from going back. But, that can't be, right? .... Right?  Ha, ha.... 

"Oh well. I guess I'll have to keep moving forward," I resigned. I wasn't all too worried since I'm still within the estate grounds. I doubt father was keeping something scary around the area so I’m not worried about animals waiting to pounce on me. Also, call it instinct or naivety but, I also had a deep feeling that I wasn't in any danger.

But.... why does it seem like this area was bigger than I thought? Am I tripping because I haven't eaten breakfast?

Despite being confused about what was going on, I kept pushing through. It was as if I had to go to it but, I just don't know what or why I had to go there.

All of a sudden, I emerged into a bright light. It was so blinding that I had to squeeze my eyes shut for a few seconds to adjust to the sudden intensity. Once I had gotten used to it, my mouth immediately dropped open.

In front of me was an open area with a large tree standing in the middle, with its delicate purple flowers in full bloom. The height of the tree was probably the same height as the mansion itself, which speaks to full volume as to how enormous it is. As the spring wind breezed through, some of the petals fell off causing it to seem like a rain of purple flowers dancing in the air. 

Did father or mother planted this recently? No, it couldn’t be. It looks like it was here way longer than my parents’ ages combined.

I walked closer, somehow drawn towards it. And then, that's when I realised the small colourful blob-like creature lying underneath the tree. Feathers?

"A baby bird?" I dropped to my knees. It hasn't moved one bit, despite me standing directly in front of it.

Was it dead? It doesn’t seem to be stirring.

I scooped it up carefully into my hands to see if it was ok. I didn't see any blood or wounds around its body so, I don't think it had been attacked. The bird also felt warm to touch and I could feel a faint heartbeat through my skin. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness you're still alive"

So then, why hasn't it moved at all? Even when I held it in my arms, it was still as a doll. Was it in hibernation? It's spring though and the other birds have already flown in from the south.

Now, that I think about it, I've never seen this type of bird before. The bird's feathers has a mixture of black, white, red, yellow, and green colours. Not to mention, the tail kind of resembles one of a peacock.

"What are you—AH!"

As I was inspecting the baby bird, its eyes suddenly opened, revealing a pair of golden orbs. I was shocked and half expected it to suddenly flaps its wings violently at me for holding it. But oddly enough, it continued staring at me. A few minutes of silence passed and I was beginning to think that maybe it might have fainted from the shock of having me suddenly holding him.

And then—

"How long are you going to keep groping me, ugly?"

Oh wow! Just when I said in the last chapter about getting 100 readers, today I woke up to see just that! ? thank you everyone for your support~ ? I can’t wait until the story gets deep enough to see my readers start commenting on their theories ufufu~

22