♧ [V1 || Chapter 20] ♧
730 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: Note, at the end of this chapter, I switched from a first person's perspective (Evangeline's POV) to a third person's perspective. This will become more frequent in the future as a way for me to show what goes on in the background when Evangeline ISN'T in the limelight. 

Also, this is completely unedited so mind the grammatical errors :')

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"It's you!"

I was shocked. What is he doing here?

One of the two characters who had filled my thoughts the most, the male lead and my favorite character from the novel—!

Oh my god! He's so much more handsome than I expected. It's illegal to look like this! Ugh!

He was wearing a black coat over a white dress shirt, black pants, and a pair of grey boots. Despite wearing such simple clothing, he couldn't hide his dazzling looks. But, oddly enough, no one else was looking at him. I don't understand it. I thought he was the type of person who drew attention to himself, it even says so in the novel that wherever he went, people couldn't help but stare at him with awe. It wasn't just his face, it was also the way he carried himself in public—proud, bright, and handsome, the charismatic young duke of the only two ducal households in the entire kingdom, Malakai Caelestis.

"You are...." he trailed off. He was looking at me with confusion painted on his face.

H—huh?

"My cloak!" I panicked. It was only then I realised that the top of my hood had fallen off because of my sudden movements. I was been so busy admiring his face that I'd accidentally exposed my face to him.

I quickly pulled my hood down, hoping no one else caught me in that split moment. Did Malakai recognize me? That shouldn't be possible since we weren't supposed to meet until the selection ceremony. And despite both of them coming from duke houses, they've rarely interacted before the start of the novel. This was because Malakai had been occupied with his holy mage tasks and Evangeline was busy with her own social circle. So, why did he sound confused when he looked at my face?

"Oh! I apologize. From behind, I assumed you were a young boy. I didn't realize I grabbed onto a lady's wrist," he released my hand immediately.

Ah... That's what he meant. I thought he recognized me for a second. I'm not sure if I should feel relieved or insulted that he thought I was a boy.

"I—is there something you need from me?" I stammered. Deep inside, I was screaming. I felt like I had just met a celebrity.

Oh my god! Oh my god! It's really him! It's Malakai Caelestis!

"That pendant you're holding... Where did you find it?" he composed himself a lot better now. His eyes were fixated on the pendant I was still holding in my hand.

"What relation does it have to you?" I questioned. I didn't know the young duke was so interested in jewellery.

"It belongs to me," he said in a slightly impatient tone. 

Okay, was he always like this? I thought the Malakai from the novel was someone who was happy-go-lucky so, why was he so insistent now? Also, the novel never mentioned that he had a pendant as a keepsake. 

An impostor? But, that couldn't be... I'm certain my eyes aren't deceiving me. Midnight black hair and azure ocean eyes were the distinctive trait of those who hail from the Caelestis household. The most common hair colour in this world are brown hair, like mine, or blonde hair, but because I guess because they're the male leads, both Malakai and Elijah possesses unique hair colours like black and white. This was also the reason why Luca's hair colour shocked me for a moment.

"I—I found it... At the alchemy shop"

"Alchemy...shop. What?! That shopkeeper—! He said he didn't have it with him! And, he even has the guts to sell it to someone else?"

All of a sudden, the air turned chilly, similar to how it felt when father released his anger during the first night. Malakai had a scary smile on his face, probably thinking of visiting the same shopkeeper I had met earlier. Wait, wait! I don't want him to go storming into Luca's shop and accuse him of something he hadn't done.

"Hold on! I said I found the pendant in the alchemy shop. Whatever you're thinking right now, it's not true. The pendant was lying beneath one of the shelves so, no one could have seen it unless they did some sort of deep cleaning or got on their hands and knees. Someone must have kicked it under there by accident so, please don't get angry at Luca! Here, you can have it back!" I quickly explained. I pushed the pendant back into his palm, my face urging him not to place blame Luca any longer.

Since Malakai is the son of a duke, there's no doubt that Luca will get into deep trouble if he was accused of stealing and reselling his belonging. He might be trialed and imprisoned, or worst, hanged to death.

The chilly air dissipated and Malakai's angry expression was replaced with a surprised one. He cocked his head to the side in silence and then, raised his eyebrows at me. His face was painted with suspicion and doubt.

"You.... Why are you giving this to me?"

"What do you mean? You said it's yours, isn't it? Why shouldn't I give back the pendant to its owner?" I was confused at his question.

"But, how do you know I'm truly the owner of the pendant? For all you know, I could have been a thief trying to scam it out of you"

"You wouldn't do that because you're—!"

I quickly slapped my hand to my mouth. I almost blurted out that he's the male lead and therefore, wouldn't do something as trivial as to steal a pendant from a lady's possession.

"You're....?"

"I—it's because you're the young duke of the Caelestis household. Isn't it natural to think that someone of your high position and status wouldn't bother to steal a pendant? At least, that's what I'd like to think, as someone who understands your position in society as well"

Yea, let's just go with that. I can't say that the male lead would never resort to committing petty crime.

Malakai's expression went from suspicion to surprise and then, all of a sudden, he burst into laughter, "PUHAHAHAHAHA!"

"I—is there something the matter?" I frowned. I don't understand what's so funny. And, why is the young duke like this? He's acting so weird today.

"My lady, do you know my name?"

"Yes? You're the young duke, Malakai Caelestis"

Who wouldn't know your name? You're the only other person who rivals my status in society and not to mention, you're the recipient of the novel Evangeline's affection.

"Hahahaha! I see I see," he gasped, wiping a tear from his eye. I still don't understand what's so funny but, I kept my silence. I must have missed the joke.

Once he stopped laughing, he gave me a dazzling smile and said, "I apologize for my rude actions earlier, my lady. It's very unbecoming of my ducal image. Anyways, I would like to thank you for having faith in me and believing that I am indeed the owner of this pendant. In return, allow me to reward you for this"

Oh! He turned so polite all of a sudden. But...

Reward? But, why would I need a reward? I'm also from a ducal household so, it's not like I need compensation. Whatever I needed or wanted, father could simply buy it for me. Not to mention, I only found the pendant by chance, so it wasn't as if I was actively look for it on his behalf.

"No, thank you. I don't think a reward is justified for someone like me"

"But, are you sure?"

"Yes," I gave him a determined look.

Malakai gave me an amusing smile as if I was a strange creature.

"A commoner woman who refused a reward from a duke?"

A commoner—? OH RIGHT! I forgot I was wearing a commoner's outfit! Is that why he was looking at me like an exotic animal in a zoo and laughed out loud earlier? My face burned in embarrassment at my blunder. I wanted to clarify myself immediately but, I was too flustered to do so.

"I— you see—"

"My lady!" someone yelled out, causing the two of us to turn our heads. It was Marise had just finished buying my salve. She immediately picked up her pace upon seeing the back of a strange man in front of me.

"Oh? I guess you're not someone who's a commoner after all. And it appears like that man over there is charging at me with anger," he chuckled, pointing to something behind me. When I turned my head around, I saw that Sir Klein already had brandished his sword out with a murderous look on his face. Oh, dear!

As Malakai started to make his move to escape, I called out to him.

"Wait! A—about that reward... If you insist on rewarding me, in the future, no matter how strange it sounds at that moment, please partner up with me when I ask for it!"

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that Malakai was in town today because, in this way, he owes me a favour. And I definitely will use it when the time comes for us to join hands against Elijah. He gave me a smirk but, kept his lips shut. I didn't know whether that meant he agreed to my request or he refused it.

And then, he disappeared from my view.

"My lady! Who was that man?" Sir Klein and Marise arrived at the same moment. Did they not recognise the young duke?

They both had a bewildered look on their faces but, I simply shrugged it off. Even if I told them that I had met Duke Malakai Caelestis, they'd probably report it to father and that'll cause an uproar in the mansion. Even in the novel, when Evangeline told father that she fell in love with Malakai and wanted to marry him, father almost turned the manor inside out. It was the first time he ever had a long period of disagreement with Evangeline. It was probably because Malakai is an active holy mage therefore, he didn't want Evangeline to marry someone who could put her in danger.

Again, it makes me wonder how on earth Evangeline managed to convince father to let her become a representative in the novel...

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"Hey! Heyyyyy... " a man called out from afar. A faraway figure was riding on a white horse, galloping his way to the person he was calling out so desperately.

"My god, did you have to jump off your horse so recklessly?" the man frowned. He had never seen his friend acted the way he did.

His friend who had his back towards him was still staring off in a distance. The man tried calling him again and yet, it was to no avail, he was in deep concentration with something that caught his eye. He sighed in frustration. What's gotten to him today? First, he wanted to go to town all of a sudden and then, his friend jumped off his horse and ran off without him.

As his eyes followed what his friend was looking at, his vision fell upon a figure wearing a cloak who was currently entering a carriage. As the figure held on to a knight's hand for support, it became clear to him that the figure belonged to a noble lady. She had her appearance hidden so, he couldn't make out her identity. But, as soon as she sat down, she opened her hood, revealing a beautiful woman with milky brown hair and violet eyes. Her petite nose scrunched up as she laughed at someone's comment. She looks to be a noble woman but, her behaviour was much too relaxed and unrefined. He had never seen a noble lady who lacked so little dignity... and yet, it seems to be very charming when it came from her.

"Oh, ho? Is this why you were in such a rush earlier? Did you suddenly fall in love?" the man teased, nudging his friend's arm. She was certainly the type of woman that many men would fall head over heels for.

"Don't be ridiculous. She just caught my eye, that's all," his friend mumbled. He finally responded to him! But, that also might be because the carriage had pulled away thus, they couldn't see the woman anymore.

The man chuckled, his black hair shaking as he did so. His friend was someone who was charming and polite to everyone but, he still kept his distance not to allow them to get too close to him. Whenever the ladies spoke to him, he painted an innocent expression on his face that allowed them to lower down their guard. However, no one could ever break down the guard that he'd put up for himself. Even as his childhood friend, the man sometimes felt like his friend always stayed in an unreachable place. He never pushed it though, because he knew that everyone held a secret side to them that they didn't want anyone else to find out.

But, this was probably the first time he had seen his friend looked a little less guarded than usual. Whoever this woman was, she wasn't any normal lady. Could it be because she looked like the type to wear her heart on her sleeve?

"Hang on—" the man paused. He sniffed the air around, and then pulled a face, "Are you using that alchemy perfume again? The one that hides your identity by putting on the face of a stranger you've never seen before?"

The man pursed his lips. If it wasn't for the fact that his divine spirit can negate illusions, he probably wouldn't have known that it was even his friend. Strange... He wasn't using the perfume earlier, so when did he have the time to put in on and why?

"Elijah! Are you listening to me?" he called his friend again. Elijah's white hair flipped as he turned to look at Malakai's frustrated blue eyes. Finally, it seems as if he had shaken him out of his weird trance.

"Oh, Kai! I didn't notice you were there. Sorry about that. Did you bring my horse around for me? Where did you tie him up?" he smiled distractedly as he walked past Malakai.

Malakai scratched his head, a sigh escaping his lips. He really wanted to ask his friend more about the woman they'd just seen and why he was using that perfume but, he decided that maybe now's not the right time. Malakai decided that he'll put off his questions for now and grill Elijah about it later.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

A/N: SURPRISE! In case it's still unclear, the man who met Evangeline wasn't actually Malakai but, Elijah in disguise! Elijah really pulled a reverse uno card on her...

A/N: SURPRISE! In case it's still unclear, the man who met Evangeline wasn't actually Malakai but, Elijah in disguise! Elijah really pulled a reverse uno card on her

Updates will be delayed from Ch. 22 to the end of the first arc since I'm planning on mass releasing it (on top of sticking to my webtoon release schedule as well *cries*)

17