2. The Soul Switch
1.7k 4 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He did a double-take as he looked at the chat bar again. He certainly didn’t type that, and you couldn’t even send private messages to yourself. Was it a glitch?

[From Nina to you]: Nope, not a glitch. Just an exchange, from me to my player.

Ok, that was a little creepy. He tried moving his character around, or at least adjusting the camera. Strangely, Nina remained rooted in place and looked like she was staring straight at him through the screen.

[From Nina to you]: I promise you, not a glitch. Now, answer my question. Wanna trade places with me?

What? Like, go into the game? Like that shitty anime that aired a few years back?

[From Nina to you]: Yes, exactly like that. But, with less risk and more fun.

Whatever was talking to him was reading his mind! He tried to open up the task manager to force close the game, but it kept itself locked in focus, preventing him from reaching the task manager.

[From Nina to you]: Hey, stop panicking. You created me, so I kinda know what you’re thinking. Look, let me lay it out for you.

[From Nina to you]: This world is alive, in a sense. Me and the rest of the characters have our own adventures and stuff while you players are offline. We have to keep our skills up for when you come back, after all. 

[From Nina to you]: Me and a couple of your guild friends developed a spell that lets us talk to our players and switch with them temporarily. You know how frustrating it is to us when we see you all depressed and we can’t do anything about it?

[From Nina to you]: Well, you were selected as the first test of the spell, because I don’t think you’d last much longer if we didn’t help you out here. So, one more time. Risk free, adventure in Haredo. Deal?

That… was a lot to process. But he figured, why not? After all, the whole thing was probably fake anyways. Maybe some new event or something. What was the worst that could happen?

[From Nina to you]: Great! All I need you to do is imagine yourself as me, ok? I’m going to start the spell now.

The man watched as Nina started going through the spell animation, and then closed his eyes. He tried to imagine himself as Nina, the strong, confident girl that he had created. But the whole thing was a little off. There was no way he could ever be someone as amazing as that. But, if he had someone like that as a mentor, or maybe a sister, then…

His thoughts trailed off as he felt his consciousness slipping away from him. It felt like he was falling. He fell into the bliss of unconsciousness as he plummeted towards a sea of black.

Lots of setup here! Glad that's all over with. To the game world!

59