7. The Mind’s Eye
1.2k 6 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the light cleared, I was in a white space. It was empty, and kind of calming.

What do you seek…

A voice in my head startled me. I guess this must be the aptitude test? Ok, let’s see…

“To return home,” I said. I knew I definitely didn’t want to die, at least.

Why do you seek that…

These were such vague questions! But, why did I want to go back? I didn’t remember anything about myself, only the things I had done with Karyl in this game. The image of the unconscious man in front of a computer screen Nina had shown me really didn’t print a pretty picture of what that life might be like. If I had the choice to go back or stay here, would I even go?

“To protect Karyl,” I finally said. As far as I knew, she was the only person important to me in the real world. It felt like a lie, though. I’m sure the weird voice person could tell too.

What makes you falter…

Ha, easy one! “Everything,” I said, perhaps a bit too quickly. That felt like the truth, but that was a hard truth to bear. Was my life in the real world really that terrible? 

Who are you…

The question was accompanied by an awful headache, the same as the ones in the inn. Then, as suddenly as it started, it was gone. But I wasn’t alone in the room anymore. On my left was me, I think. He looked like he was in his early 20’s, but he looked depressed and sullen. I couldn’t make out any details, but he definitely seemed similar to the unconscious man by the computer. On my right was also me. But this version was a woman in her early 20’s smiling and laughing with a group of peers. And unlike the man, I could make out her face clearly. It looked a lot like Sylvia’s, but older and wisened. I knew the truth of the answer, but a part of me longed desperately to tell the voice I was that woman. She was what I wished I was; smart, pretty, confident, and...

Your choice has been recorded…

Oh. Oh no. 

What do you want to be…

There was the question I had been dreading. The voice had figured it out before me. The flutterings of my chest when I was called ‘she’ or ‘sis,’ the happiness of putting on the guild uniform. I should have been mortified, but I was so, so happy. I couldn’t make out that man because I simply couldn’t identify as him anymore. 

Say it…

What? No! I couldn’t admit it to myself, much less this demanding test magic!

We both know the answer…

Please, let me go then! Let me go and forget about it all!

Say it…

I felt tears start to flow as I spoke the fundamental truth it had taken me an entire lifetime to figure out.

“I… want to be a girl,” I said. The magic enveloped me once again as I collapsed to the floor, sobbing.

Anybody want some cracked eggs?

64