16. Light Within Darkness
818 3 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was floating.

A thick fog swirled around me, keeping me afloat in a sea of white. It was cool to the touch, healing wounds and aches that I never knew existed. The scent of cherry blossoms danced in the air, relaxing my tight mental grip on the trauma of Jasper’s attack. The mist floated to the ground, and I landed with ease. Then it began to disperse, spiriting away my pain and fears into the white void that stretched out around me.

“Hello?” I called out. “Anybody here?”

“We finally meet, my child.”

I jumped, not expecting a voice, much less from right behind me. I whirled around to see a woman standing before me. Long black hair fell from her head, and her pale complexion looked kind and pure. A traditional white kimono flowed around her body, held in place by a deep red ribbon. A red trim followed the edge of the fabric, embroidered with golden flowers. An orange magatama hung around her neck, glowing faintly with an aura that embraced me like a protective mother. She looked divine, almost like a goddess.

The woman frowned. “Almost?” She said. “I am a goddess, child.”

“Ah! I’m sorry!” I exclaimed. Wait, did she just read my mind?

“Yes, I did. I believe your sister has done so several times already.”

“Well I guess, but I thought that was cause I’m her pl-” I quickly covered my mouth. That probably wasn’t information I should be giving out to random people in a white void.

The stranger laughed. “You do not need to hide your status from me, Sylvia. I know who you are already. You are but a guest in my world, brought here unwillingly by the mistake of one of my children. I will not punish you for your presence in this world. In fact, I brought you here to ensure your recovery went smoothly.”

“Um, where is here, exactly?” I asked.

“I believe you would call it a dream,” she replied cryptically. “You were about to cross into the afterlife before I caught you. You are quite the reckless one, my child. Despite that, I felt it was necessary to take responsibility for the harm one of my children caused you.”

If this really was a dream, it was a strange one. This woman just declared she cheated death for me. I was attacked by Jasper, who definitely was not a kid. Though, she did call herself a goddess. Wouldn’t that mean everyone in Haredo was her child? Wait…

“Are you… Amaterasu?” I asked. It felt like a dumb question, but I wanted to make sure.

Amaterasu smiled. “Goodness, you are a bit slow, aren’t you? Yes, child, I am the sun goddess Amaterasu, the one you and your family have been searching for.”

“Family?” 

The goddess looked at me curiously. “You share a bond with Nina and Kei, do you not? Oh, and that boy you like. His name was Alec, I believe?”

“Wha-”

“Oh, my apologies for rushing to conclusions. You all care for each other so deeply, I just thought...”

“That’s not-” I protested. “Ugh, forget it.”

A cryptic smile appeared on Amaterasu’s face. “Ah, I think I understand now. Embarrassing as it might be, you’re closer than you think with them. Family is more than just those who share your blood, Sylvia.”

“I know, but… what if Jasper was right?” I blurted out. “What if they’re just taking pity on me or something? What if I’m some freak who’s being a burden on them by pretending to be someone they’re not? Does someone like me really deserve people like them?”

Amaterasu's eyes narrowed. “I think your sister would be very hurt if she heard you say that, Sylvia. Surely you do not truly believe any of them perceive you that way. And what of Alec? Is he not in the same position as you?” The goddess huffed. “You are lucky that you are not yet well enough to return to the waking world, or I would send you back this instant.”

“But-”

“No buts, young lady. Your family is doing everything they can to keep you alive at the moment,” Amaterasu scolded. “Most people who overuse blood magic die without immediate medical attention. The least you can do is have some faith in them.”

“Wait, blood magic? What blood magic?” I asked. “I was just using elemental stones.”

“Stones which you grabbed with your bloodied hands,” she corrected. “You were gravely injured. Those wounds were more than enough to serve as a conduit for blood magic.”

Oh. That was probably why I’d felt so awful before I lost consciousness. I nodded guiltily.

“Good. Now, going back to our discussion. Since I’ve connected to you to save you from death, I could send you home right now if you wish. You will no longer ‘be a burden,’ as you put it.”

“Really?” I said. The idea was tempting. I could forget all this ever happened and go back to living my regular boring life. Was that what I wanted?

“Yes, but you would die here, as far as your family would know.” The goddess answered.  “I will take your memories of this place, and you will return to your old body. Alec would have to make his way here with Nina and Kei, and you would be none the wiser.”

“No!” I shouted, seizing up with fear. I could never go back to who I was. I’ve learned so much about myself in my short time here, and I had made memories that I wanted to treasure for the rest of my life. And abandoning everyone without even saying goodbye? I couldn’t do that. I’d feel so guilty.

The goddess looked at me curiously. “You say you’re pretending, then completely reject an offer to return to your original form. You think your family isn’t being honest with you, yet you would miss them dearly if you were to depart right now.” There was a sly smile on her face as she pointed out my discrepancies. “Would you like me to go on?” She asked. I swear she sounded a little smug, but maybe that was just my imagination.

“No, you’re right…” Goddess, I sounded like a kid who got caught stealing cookies.

“Hehe. Good girl. But I sense you don’t quite believe me.” 

I just shrugged my shoulders. Logically, it seemed unlikely. But how could I know for sure?

“Alright, I have a task for you, my child. First, since you still have doubts, why don’t you ask them yourself? Then, once you have made amends, come to my shrine in Kin no Kaigan. From there, I can send you and Alec back home the way you desire.”

“What about the anti-cheat guards?” I asked. “Can you get them to stop following us?”

“I am sorry child, but that system is beyond my control. They are soulless machines, programmed to enforce a set of rules my world no longer follows. The machines have hunted several of my children relentlessly, and I fear it will only get worse as time goes on. However, the world you know as Soulseeker Online follows those rules strictly, and thus they are a necessary evil.”

“Beyond that,” she continued. “You and Alec are a special case. You are our first visitors from your world and brought here by accident, no less. I am unsure what awaits you at the end of the week, so I implore you to get here as quickly as possible.”

“That was the plan,” I replied. If even the goddess didn’t know what my fate was at the end of the week, I needed to make absolutely certain that I never had the chance to find out.

“Good. Now go.” The goddess raised her hand in the air, chanting a spell.

“Wait!” I shouted. “Didn’t you just say I wasn’t healthy enough to leave yet?”

A sly smile formed on Amaterasu’s lips. “That was two days ago, my child. Time in my domain is relative.”

“Two days!?” I exclaimed. “H-how…?”

“Think of it as punishment for your recklessness,” the goddess replied. “Now, your family is waiting for you. Make good use of the time you have left.”

A gentle light began to encompass me. It tugged at my consciousness, urging me to return to the people I held dear. I felt tears beginning to form in my eyes. If all went well, I’d get to see Alec again in the real world, but my time with Nina and Kei was almost over. I’d still get to see them when I played Soulseeker Online again, but I’d miss listening to their banter, and having conversations with them. In Haredo, I’d found nothing but support and acceptance from the people I trusted most.

Maybe, just maybe, I had found a family.

Only three days left before the adventure ends, and it sounds like Sylvia has some soul-searching to do! I hope you're looking forward to the coming chapters! Thanks for the read!

34