Prologue: The Fall
1.5k 2 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gaze at the sword stuck in stone.

All of my choices have led to this.

Then ‘he’ appears before me.

You will lose your humanity.

Human?

A king is not one.

I am prepared.

To kill my enemies and protect mine kingdom,

That is a king’s duty.

It was already decided.

I pull out Caliburn, the sword of selection,

And drove out the invaders and massacring the enemies.

Wearing the mantle as I sat on the cold throne,

A thought echoes

Is this what I wanted…?

—Artoria Pendragon

***

The clangor of swords had died down. The screams of slaughter were muted. The bleak sun hid in the dark clouds, casting a shadow over the hillside where broken blades and bodies lay in heaps.

A sharp wind swept by, carrying the groans of warriors gripping the sword looming over their chest like a death reaper.

The black and white armored warriors represented two different sides. Despite that, they all shed tears. Some regretted that they won't ever meet their loved ones. While some lamented the choices they made.

This was the true reality of a war, where the victor’s name was engraved in the books while the losers were forgotten, only remaining in the hearts of their loved ones as bitter memories.

A soldier turned his head and a golden brilliance reflected in his wide-open eyes.

A light that brought pride and hope to the citizens of Britain—it was the weapon of their king, coming from the dead center of this battlefield—a lance held in the right hand of a woman clad in silver and blue armor; her fine golden bangs covered her face with two strands swaying in the wind and the rest tied in a bun. Her visage was truly distinct as a warrior. However, her aura was that of a Ruler.

Currently riding her favorite steed, Dun Stallion, the warhorse protected in layers of steel armor, the woman’s beautiful features were drawn in a frown as her emerald eyes stoically looked down at the warrior standing a hundred yards away—the man with fiery crimson hair and a sharp face holding a normal steel spear in his hands. He faced her with his golden eyes ablaze with fury.

You betrayed me and joined the enemies who caused dissent in her kingdom. So why are you furious? What gave you the reason to be angry at me?

She had so many questions she wanted to ask. Yet, when her lips parted only two words came out.

“Come Helios.”

Helios glanced at the warrior bearing the title of Treacherous Knight and let out a deep sigh.

“Artoria?”

Only a few could address her as this name and knew her true gender—Helios was among those. Though the way Helios came to know about her gender was rather “special”.

Helios’s lips curled up in an amusing grin as he recalled her figure that could arouse any man. “You are still as stubborn as ever. You think I betrayed you and joined the enemies to harm you?”

His voice carried the slightest hint of rage and affection.

Artoria squeezed the lance in her hand. The boy she had nurtured had rebelled against her.

Am I to blame for this?

Even her calm facade failed as the draconic energy boiled inside her veins.

Artoria took a deep breath to get rid of unnecessary emotions and said, “Be it war, kingdom, or my life, you were always there to aid me. For this, I have nothing but gratitude for you. Then… why did you join Mordred?”

“You still... don’t understand my feelings...”

Artoria tilted her head slightly, not understanding his argument. Not unreasonable for a woman who never experienced ‘real love’ in her life.

Helios raised the spear and pointed at Artoria. “Then you will know soon.”

He charged at her with a determined expression. Artoria pulled the harness of her beloved ride and rushed forward.

Don’t disappoint me, Artoria thought as her cheeks drew in a little grin and her grip on her lance tightened—the Lance she used to drive out the invaders, devils, and even dragons had her back.

So.

She will fight for her kingdom.

She will resurrect her kingdom.

Or she will fall here, on this battlefield—where her soldiers rested.

Unfortunately or fortunately, her ‘Fate’ was already sealed when she picked Helios from the streets.

This is a tale of Artoria Pendragon achieving happiness—the tale of a human wrapped in the troubles of the supernatural—or more precisely the tale of one human fighting the ‘Invaders’ for the entire human race.

29