37: A casino towering into the heavens
89 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just about everyone starts out in private games, but casinos are the stadiums of this sport. That's where you'll find the big tournaments, the media spotlight, and the clearest path to the top.

 

The cold air bit into Joey's cheeks as he held his arms shivering, his body desperately trying to generate some heat. He was waiting outside his house with a small luggage bag. It was Saturday and the crew from Angelo's was supposed to pick him up to go to Splitting Stone.

*SCREECH*

He looked up to see an all white van with no windows in the back pulling up in front of him. Before he could react, two people in ski masks jumped out and pulled him inside. As he started to desperately struggle, one of them asked, "Did you bring your toothbrush?"

He recognized the voice. "Amy?" Joey verified, as he choked the other assailant. Amy pulled off the mask to reveal her true identity.

"Gurg. It's hmee gaa." The other assailant was about to pass out. Joey took off his mask to see it was Anwar.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Joey questioned. He released the choke on Anwar...after getting in a few bonus seconds.

"This is standard pickup procedure. So that no one knows your destination," Amy explained.

Joey knew it was fruitless to argue with this nutjob about why that would be necessary. "Why do you have a kidnapping van?"

"This is Pedro's van. He works as a contractor," Amy responded.

Joey looked up to see Pedro driving at the front. He was busy flicking the bobblehead of a dog, apparently finding great pleasure in it. Joey wouldn't even bother to ask why they owned ski masks. He jumped back outside and got his luggage to throw into the back. That's when he noticed there was something unusual in the back. It was a life sized female blow up doll.

Joey cringed. "What is this?"

"...That's Pedro's pool float. He said he's planning to swim in the hotel's pool and believes in safety first." Amy answered.

Joey shook his head. 'There's nothing safe or sanitary about what he's using this for...' Between the van and the doll, this definitely looked like a serial killer starter pack, but poker was full of weirdos so Joey just buried the doubt and disgust deep down.

As he got in the van, Joey noticed Andrew sitting in the middle row, playing on his phone. "Yo!" Andrew greeted.

"You can sit in the third row," Amy stated as she hopped into the passenger seat. Anwar and Andrew sat in the second row and Joey got in the back.

"We have one more pick up to make," Amy said.

Joey was curious as to who it would be. It couldn't be Angelo or Johnny. 'Those two would rather die than have to sit here with all of these stooges.'

The van stopped in front of a residential building in Queens. Amy waved to someone from her passenger window. Soon, the side door opened. The last passenger came in with head lowered. All Joey could see was a large furry brown hat with black viking horns at the top. 'It's another depraved soul...'

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew into the car, sending a waterfall of blue hair in Joey's direction, nearly brushing against his face. His eyes widened when he saw who it was.

"Hiya!" she greeted. It was Ellie, from Pocket Rockets. She looked around and waved at everyone, before taking the last remaining seat next to Joey.

"I didn't expect to see you here," Joey said.

"Why not?" Ellie asked.

Joey didn't really have a good answer for that. "I just got the impression it would only be the dealers at Angelo's..."

"I used to deal at Angelo's though," Ellie smiled.

It was slightly surprising to Joey, but not unreasonable. At long last, they set off on their road trip. Driving through New York City was usually not pleasant. To get upstate, they had to cross a bridge to get into Manhattan which was one of the highest traffic areas in the country. From there, they had to drive north. Only about an hour later, did they get to an area that could be considered scenic.

Even that part of the drive wasn't completely uneventful though. Manhattan was always full of attention catching sights at every corner. Sometimes they would chat, or listen to the radio, and time passed relatively quickly.

Andrew remembered something. "Joe, aren't you still in high school? You don't have to be 21, but the casino is still 18 and up..."

"I'm actually going to turn 19 in a few months," Joey replied

This was slightly unusual as most high schoolers in New York graduated at 18. "How come?" Andrew asked.

Joey looked out the window as the scenery passed by at lightning speed. As soon as he tried to take a second to appreciate it, it was already gone. "I started school late...My father thought I needed...a family education first."

It sounded a bit complicated but Andrew didn't pry further. The remainder of the drive was nice and calm. From time to time, Pedro had tried to put on a Nickelback cd. He finally stopped after the last time, when Amy reached over, opened his door, and attempted to push him out while the car was driving on the highway.

...

They had stopped at a gas station to rest and refuel. Joey was standing outside the van, looking at a large bird flying in the distance.

Ellie came over. "That's pretty. Do you know what type of bird that is?"

Joey looked at her. "I'm an expert at identifying birds."

Her eyebrows raised. "Wow! Then what about that one there?"

Joey squinted for a long time before his eyes flashed with a knowing glint. Full of confidence, he answered, "Yep...that's definitely a bird."

*Pfft* She couldn't help from breaking out into a chuckle.

Soon, everyone got back into the car and continued the journey. Joey had fallen asleep along the way, only to wake up when the car hit a pothole. He rubbed his eyes and looked around.

He saw Amy was reading a book and crying with many tissues in front of her. Joey leaned forward to see what book could make her so sad. It was "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." Joey asked her, "Amy. What's wrong? Did Harry die?"

She turned to look at Joey, with her glasses on her head and her chin quivering. "No...Voldemort failed again."

"Voldemort?" Joey checked his hearing.

Amy nodded her head profusely. "He worked so hard...just to have everything ruined by a bunch of chuckleheads."

*Sob*

Joey was about to close his eyes and force himself to go back to dreaming. 'Nightmares are fine too...' Then he saw something in the distance. A giant tower could be seen from miles away. This area was still very rural, with few buildings. Even the buildings that were around were very small.

Joey realized something. "Is that?"

"Yea...that's Splitting Stone casino," Anwar said. The car approached the tower and its features became clear. A giant white and blue skyscraper shot into the clouds, standing in the middle of nowhere. A beacon of civilization amongst a wild sea of greenery.

The car finally arrived at the front of the tower. The huge entrance lined with chrome and glass was enshrouded by a large canopy. Everyone exited the car. Joey could see inside through the glass. There were golden carpets with oriental patterns stretching as far as his eyes could see. Infinite rows of casino machines, bigger than any library he'd ever heard of. He closed his eyes.

'I've arrived...degenerate heaven.'

7