chapter 4: welcome [4]
185 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Children of the Demon King's Castle

· Welcome [4] ·

×××

Around two hours later, Eirene had finished preparing for dinner.

She sat facing the long table, with six small bowls, forks, spoons, and a large broth full of vegetables in front of her. Due to the lack of ingredients in the kitchen and her subpar cooking skills, all Eirene could make was this mediocre and ordinary dish.

'But children need vegetables to grow anyway ... I also put in a little minced meat, so there shouldn't be any problem.'

Well, Eirene could just bought more ingredients from the market in the future. Right now, all of them should just be content with this menu ....

With her magic, Eirene started to search for the children inside the castle. It turned out that they were still on the vicinity of the second floor, looking at the carpet room previously owned by the Second Demon King.

After 'labeling' them with mana from afar, she snapped her fingers, engulfed the children in it as they immediately teleported into the five chairs in front of her with her magic, sitting with bewildered expressions because of the sudden change in scenery.

"Hello there."

However, looking at Eirene's face and calm voice, the children's widened eyes as their faces went pale. Eirene didn't knew what they were thinking, however, her expression crumpled immediately as she saw their dusty appearances.

"Why are you all so dirty?"

The children flinched hearing her question. However, before they could react even further, a soft water bubble engulfed their body and drowned them inside for a second, before evaporates from the top to bottom and left no trail, albeit make their body in a wet mess.

They didn't have time to shiver due to cold though, as Eirene immediately used hot wind to dry them down quickly, blowing them softly and patiently like a hair dryer.

The children looked confused yet astonished and even some were amazed at her magic, they didn't seem to expect this reaction from her, but Eirene paid no attention to them.

As she let the wind do its job, she quickly used magic to pour the soup into the empty bowls, scattered it slowly with a breeze to gave each person a bowl, a fork and a spoon.

"Now, let's eat."

Eirene said nonchalantly, started to use the utensils to eat. However, even after eating for a few seconds, there wasn't any reply nor signs of them eating. Did the food doesn't suit their tastes? Eirene can't help but felt uncertain, thus she peeked a gaze at them confusedly.

She saw how their eyes shifted onto the meal in front of them with curiousity, as if scrunitizing the dish under their gaze, however, no one dare to touch them.

They were also peeking onto each other, as if waiting for someone to eat, taking the lead, before themselves. It was kind of sad that children on their age already developed such vigilance and unnecessary worries.

"... Are you not going to eat?"

At Eirene's question, they flinched visibly. The female twin, who seemed to be fidgeting the most since before in front of her bowl, finally braved herself to grab the utensils and scoop a spoonful of the soup. Eirene was a little surprised, she never thought it would be her who decided to take the action first.

Moreover, after a while, the girl's face lit up, and even though she was in front of the Demon King, she can't help but mumble in awe. "Tasty ...."

Eirene was startled. Honestly, she thought this dish was normal, no, even, below average. It was acceptable but not something could be called delicious, yet she said it was tasty?

Pity started to crawl into Eirene's heart, as she sighed a little and reply softly.

"Then, eat as much as you want."

The little girl widened her eyes as her pupils shook, her mouth opened for a bit but she closed it again. In the end, she said nothing and instead quickly lowered her head, continue eating without a sound.

Eirene also continue to focus on her meal, she didn't pay attention to the kids that starting to became less tense, however her ears could began to hear the sound of metals clanking into the bowls from time to time even if it seemed soft and careful, and knowing that, the end of her lips can't help but started to raise a little.

Silence continued throughout the meal inside the dining room. No one said anything, they just eat calmly and silently sat on their chairs. However, when she saw their bowls almost empty, Eirene would use her magic to fill up their bowls quickly with the soup from the pot, her expression didn't change much, but the children looked surprised yet again.

Now, all of them had already started their second servings, while Eirene had finished her meal since a few moments ago. She had enough with one bowl, after all, Eirene wasn't the type to eat much since the beginning.

However, children need to eat more for growing. Moreover with their small bodies like that, they really need nutrients, veggies and meat.

While thinking so, Eirene watched the children that still eating calmly, however, after finishing their first bowl, their hands seemed to move a little bit faster and their eyes seemed to sparkle.

Looking at how they tried to conceal their enthusiasm, Eirene sighed a little. Even though it was very fine for them to eat energetically like how normal children did .... just what did they faced before coming to this castle?

When she can't help but cursed those adults that treat these children badly inside her mind, a soft voice could be heard from in front of her.

"Um."

One of the children raised their voice.

This time, it was a boy.

Eirene shifted her gaze.

It was the boy that seemed lifeless when he first entered the castle, as if he didn't care about his life and just patiently waited for the end. Yet, now, there were sparkle on his obsidian eyes, which seemed as deep as the abyss. Eirene didn't knew for sure, however, it seemed like he gained hope and the will to continue living.

'... Well, that's good.'

As Eirene concluded so on her mind, she faced him with eyes that urging him to freely say what he wanted. The boy seemed nervous at first, however, he still said what he wanted even with his wavering voice.

"Um, t-thank you!"

Eirene widened her eyes.

Thank you?

Those words were unexpected.

She thought he would ask her questions. She never thought he would say something like that. Anyway, what could be the reason for the sudden expression of gratitute?

"Why are you thanking me?"

Eirene asked calmly, yet slight confusion could be felt on the way she talked.

"U-uh because ...."

His expression became lost. It seemed like he had many to say yet it was hard to organize. At his desperation, he looked at his left side for a while, even if there were only air in her vision, at this point, it seemed like someone was there. Someone that Eirene couldn't saw, yet someone the child with the demonic eyes could.

'... Did any of them say something?'

Eirene can't help but became aware of the situation. Was it why the first and second Demon Kings weren't around in that space? They were with this child all along? She wasn't sure what to feel about this. However, when she tried to sort her complicated emotions, she could hear the child's words continuation.

"U-um, f-for the cookies ...."

He seemed trying his best to express his gratitute, even if he looked very nervous. His hands started to count with fingers as he occasionally peeked on it while facing Eirene, his small body fidget a little.

"F-for the meal today ... then f-for the jars ... also for the bed .... uh there's also the room to sleep ... and f-for washing ... and ... and ...."

Hearing those words, Eirene could felt a warm feeling sweep inside her heart, however at some point, Eirene could saw how those eyes became glassy and his voice started to sound hoarse.

"F-for letting me live ... and even curing my sickness ... f-for ... everything ...."

Eirene widened her eyes at the sight and with a soft finger gesture, quickly teleported herself to the boy's side. Since he sat on the utmost right chair in front of her, she arrived on the empty right spot beside him and spun his chair with magic, facing her side.

Surprised by the sudden teleportation and movement, the boy looked at her stiff expression with a startled gaze.

Yet, all Eirene did was bowing a little, equalize their height as she took out a small handkerchief and wipe the tears that at some point already fell down from his eyes.

"... Don't cry."

Eirene didn't remember being good at taking care of children, they were noisy and it wasn't like she have the most outgoing personality either. However, seeing him crying in front of her like this make her restless. She didn't knew what to say and even wasn't sure what kind of expression shown currently on her face.

The little boy though, still widened his eyes for a while even after feeling soft cloth wiping his cheek. Eirene felt how his gaze seemed like observing her, however her line of sight was currently focused to the wet area left by his tears, drying them with her handkerchief.

Using magic might be much quicker, however if he moved and the wind ended touching his eyes or other places, it might felt a little painful thus Eirene dismissed the idea.

She didn't knew what went wrong, but while she did so, instead of stopping, he suddenly sniffed further and droplets of tears dropped more and more from his obsidian orbs. Eirene became panicked and perplexed.

Not sure what to do anymore, she tried to comfort the small child, raising her free left hand and patted the boy's black hair awkwardly, while her right hand still moving her handkerchief to wipe his tears.

Even so, since he rubbed his tears away with his small fingers too, Eirene merely clean-up his face a little from the side.

"I-I'm sorry for being scared of you before."

His soft voice between the cries that hadn't even gone through puberty resonates again. Eirene didn't knew what happened nor what he saw with those eyes to make him say those words, however, now, as their gaze met onto each other once again, she saw how there weren't fear in his eyes even if it was glassy.

That clear obsidian eyes looked more full of life and gratitute that it couldn't be compared to the depressing gaze when he first entered the castle. Eirene never thought that the boy she least thought much about in the start because of the dark feeling he gave off, would be the one opening up to her first.

However, she didn't felt bad about it, instead, her heart grew warm as the movement of her hand became smoother between his hair strands and her gaze became softer.

"It's normal to be scared."

Eirene said calmly as usual, after all, they were sold by their countries, but now that the child knew she didn't mean any harm, he stopped crying and nodded softly. Then, he lowered his gaze and mumbled once again.

"T-thank you for everything."

Now, instead of saying it to her face, he avoided her gaze and seemed trying to hide his expression with his long bangs, however, Eirene could saw how his ears and cheeks became red despite the child trying to hide it. Was he shy now because their distance were close? Unlike when he thanked her before?

Eirene felt her heart melt a little at the innocent gesture. Her hazy memories didn't gave her much memories of children, so she didn't have much thought about them. However, looking at the boy in front of her, she can't help but smiled.

"It was nothing."

The child didn't say anything more, he tried his best to calm himself down while Eirene still patted his head, waiting for the child's sniffles to completely ended.

Meanwhile, Eirene could heard soft footsteps from behind the boy. Even when she didn't look at them, she could sense their mana and it seemed like the other children were starting to make their own moves.

After seeing that scene, even when they probably couldn't understand the content, it seemed like the other children could finally threw away some of their doubts and fear. They walked towards them from behind the black haired boy after getting down their chairs.

"M-me too! Thank you!"

The red-haired brave girl said, it seemed like she make her voice loud in order to hide her nervousness. Yet, not like the others, she went in front of Eirene and the black-haired boy, with half a meter distance.

"Um, I too ... th-thank you ...!"

The boy that looked human at a glance said from behind the black-haired boy in front of Eirene. He maintained some distance, but it seemed like he tried his best.

"I-I'm also grateful!"

"T-thank you ...."

The twins peeked from behind the older girl, looking nervous yet shy as they spoke with soft voices. These two seemed to be the youngest of the children present and gained an attachment already to the red-haired girl which had a slightly larger built than them.

Looking at the children that somehow surrounded her now instead looking like they wanted to run away, Eirene bit her lower lip, trying her best to maintain her composure.

She could felt how her heart felt warm when she heard their thank yous. It wasn't like she did this for receiving their gratitutes, but still, hearing how they appreciated her make her happy. Trying her best to sound calm, she said.

"It was nothing. Since all of you will be living here from now on, it really wasn't that much."

At her statement, the children widened their eyes in surprise yet once again, as if didn't expect those words. They looked at her with different kind of emotions. However, this time, Eirene didn't felt uncomfortable with their reactions.

Instead, she can't help but let out a soft laugh at their silly expressions—and warmly said.

"Welcome to the Demon King's castle."

{ 'welcome' end }

I'm not sure if I did a good job on describing the emotions here, but anyway, here is the last part of 'welcome'! There will be the children pov to make up for the missing part on this chapter. Next chapter would be a new part, see you later~

9