Chapter 19 – A turtle, a mine and a fistful of dreams
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A turtle, I finally got a turtle. I was kinda happy about this at the start. It’s not easy always summoning slimes and goblins so this was kinda fresh but why did it have to be this small. I mean it’s so small that it’s classified as ‘Smol’ which is smaller than small. It's a joke at this point.

 

[Smol Turtle]

 

Turtles have long elongated lives, not because they are better than any other monsters in metabolism or anything in this world but rather their defense ratio is much higher than others. They are creatures that are suited to aquatic areas. Since they have high defense it would make sense for them to have weaker areas that are exploited as well. The smol turtle you see now is smaller than even a small turtle. If you could imagine a mid size turtle got cast on by a sorcerer the spell <<Tiny>> then you would understand what I mean.

 

“I know what you mean. I mean I can see what’s in front of me…”

 

I’m disappointed, Crimson is always disappointed. I’m not sure what I can say.

 

“Hey little guy, I had some big plans for you but i don’t know if you can handle it now. I was planning to pump out some DP to create a mine in room 4 for you but I just can’t see it.”

 

The turtle started making sad pleading noises. I didn’t even know that turtles could do such things.

 

“Alright alright. I’ll still consider it.”

 

“!!”

 

I could see the harumph and long winded lecture that was gonna unfold.

 

“Crimson it’s really for the best, anyway haven’t you had a look at him? He may be weak now but we can really consider that extra attribute.”

 

I viewed the display but I really didn’t need to since Crimson could see exactly like me.

 

[Smol Turtle]

 

[Race: Turtle]

[Level: 3]

[Stats]

[Health: 45/45] [Mana: 11/11]

[Strength: 6] [Endurance: 18] [Agility: 4]

[Intellect: 10] [Resistance: 15] [Luck: 12]

 

[State: Normal]

[Skills: Thick Carapace 1 ]

[Attributes: Small but fiesty (Stats↓| Stat gain ) ]

 

I could see those stats down debuff which really lowered a normal turtles hp by a fair amount as well as the endurance stat. Still it’s a lot better than slimes or goblins actually it's comparable to common kobolds even.

 

“A mine, a mine we have to create a mine! We’ll make the dungeon pay for it!”

 

“Umm excuse me!”

 

Whoops I got too excited there, Crimson definitely gonna have some input on the matter.

 

“Mines are expensive. They are a continuous source of material but you need labor to exploit the mine! We don’t have much labor, or we can barely say we have any at all.”

 

“They are a long term investment. You are right. The gains and the cost are very detrimental in the short run. But I still think if I can weather the initial storm then things will be okay.”

 

I felt like she wanted to voice more complaints, but I wouldn’t take no for an answer.

 

“Besides, turtles are earth class creatures. Ores should be earth class components. Mining ores is difficult but since they are the same class then the turtles can simply ‘meld’ with the ore components. I won’t have an effective inventory stock but I will have a very efficient creature who can grow very quickly with the mine’s capability and quality.”

 

“The cheapest option is 300 DP.”

 

I flinched, yikes 300 DP is almost all that I got. But I had to put on a tough front.

 

“Then 300 DP it shall be.”

 

 

[You have expended 300 DP - The dungeon has now opened a ‘Granite’ mine]

 

“It’s only Granite, it can’t be helped.”

[You now have 30/850 DP remaining]

 

Ouch. That really hurts you don’t have to keep telling me.

 

[The granite mine is now situated in room 4. For mining please place monster subordinates at this location]

 

“I can’t really put in any official miners. The stronger ones are used for combat purposes and need to be ready at all times. I can’t have them in a low condition.”

 

I looked at the level 2 goblin.

 

“Guess you can go there.”

 

I watched as the goblin made its way to the room. It dawdled about not knowing what to do.

 

“Am I missing something?”

 

[A pickaxe is needed to mine. Would you like to roll for a Pickaxe (Tier 1) for 50DP?]

 

“Um excuse me… I don’t have 50DP what the hell?”

 

Crimson condescending eyes fell on me. How would I wiggle my way out of this one?

 

“Hahaha, it’s just a joke. You don’t need to worry, this is all in my plan. I am just testing the system. We just merely have to put the turtle in the room and see how it goes.”

 

I instructed my turtle to make its way into the room just like the goblin before. The goblin and the turtle play together, they just seem like kids who are having fun.

 

[Smol Turtle’s endurance has risen by 0.05.]

 

“Oh?”

 

“Ooooo?”

 

You can see it on Crimson’s astonished face. You can see it on my astonished face. This rate is actually quite good. Surely the effects will drop off sooner or later but the attribute buff is really doing its magic. How much growth will it experience in the future?

 

 

Day 5, Midday 

 

It’s only been a few hours since the mine was implemented, the turtle is still playing around in there with the goblin, if anything the surprise and shock that Crimson and I received was a good one. 

 

If you wanted to know how great the shock is. The current accumulation within the few hours that it’s been in there is approaching 0.5 increase in defense. Yes that’s right, it's not 0.05 but 0.5. Leveling will get increasingly difficult as time passes and stat gain is not large for lesser monsters. If you think about it a 3 point increase per level is pretty large for a monster that is starting out, so this guy who’s been doing nothing but warbling about has achieved 20% worth of level up stats in a certain field just by simply existing.

 

A few smaller events are starting to pan out as well. For example this level 2 goblin has a stat called affinity. I decided to ask Crimson about it but she is not sure. Heck if she is not sure then how can I be sure.

 

It’s affinity started increasing at first by 1 with the kobold and now it's increased by an extra 3 with the turtle. I started having wild thoughts you know, those kinda thoughts… What kinda thoughts do you say? Well I meant there's a chance he becomes a monster tamer or some goblin rider or something. I began to chuckle. That’s right how fearsome would it be if a level 2 goblin rode a tiny turtle into battle. Too fearsome if you ask me.

 

A stray wolf actually made its way through our doors today as well. It made it all the way into room 3. I didn’t really care because it was one wolf. The others are around to deal with it if things get troublesome. It found its way into one of the potholes and fell over and got struck by a few arrows. Great! I exclaimed to myself as I watched my level 3 goblin make its way there and confirm the final hit.

 

It would be better if I got the final hit but this is good too. I thought to myself. Since I only receive 10% of the exp if I don’t get the final hit. Anyhoo. That Wolf was worth 42 EXP and it was treated as a solo kill so that goblin is now level 4 as well. I received 4 EXP so it's not that bad for sitting around and doing nothing.

 

Ohhh. I started wondering to myself. That other goblin before could get a job class evolution before, maybe this guy can as well. As I thought that I was excited for a while but remembered that I also used cores to achieve that. Damn, that’s a bit unfortunate.

 

I looked at the few system messages to cheer me up though

[Goblin has slain wolf - Goblin is now Level 4]

[You have gained 4 EXP. You are now 396/500 Exp to next level]

[You have gained some DP. You now have 65/885 DP]

[An I-Grade Wolf Core has been obtained]

 

Ahh a 35 DP increase. Just what I needed. I’m actually shorthanded on DP by a bunch so the more the merrier.

 

 

Day 5, Evening

 

Only a few things to add on to a somewhat mediocre day. Crimson and I spoke again in the afternoon about my Synthesis and Evolution ability. She thinks I should be able to try to use my evolution ability as much as possible if the mana amounts required are low. Both herself and I agreed that this was a pretty good idea only if the monster and I have some affinity and experience built up previously.

 

I wanted to experiment so I looked at my party members. Let's have a look at the level 2 goblin first.

 

[Goblin - Level 2 has no evolution actions available]

 

It’s to be expected right? He’s just too low level. There wasn’t even a minute chance of him having some obscene growth. Anyway onwards to the next one.

 

[Goblin - Level 4 can be transformed into a variant type - Mana Required - 40 Mana]

 

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Finally can I create a goblin lord or something? Nah it’s early for that. As I want to explore and play with the various scenarios within my head.

 

“It’s time again. What kinda monster do you think it will be this time?”

 

“You know the scenario. The more I expect the worse it gets.”

 

Both of us seemed to have agreed on that matter.

 

[A bat has been summoned]


Author Note:

Double chapter release today to cover for last few days.

I'll release them a couple of hours apart, just to give me motivation to pump out a few more chapters

0