Chapter 25 – The predicament of Naira Village
37 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naira Village, Adventurer’s guild

 

A small office, stacked to the brink with papers, a looming old cedar smell fills the room. The items on the desk are scattered about along with reports from numerous sources on various strange happenings that have been unfolding in the vicinity lately.

 

An odd occurrence to say at the least, especially for a village far out on the wayside in the outskirts of a currently struggling kingdom. With little support, any disastrous events would lead to perilous situations for those inhabiting this run down area.

 

In this office, two people were currently present, the one standing in the corner being the next generational leader of Naira Village, Naira Narule and the current Adventurer Guild’s Branch Manager Ligerman Theorves.

 

The difference in the two men could be seen at a glance,  it was easier to point out things that they didn’t have in common rather than things that were similar, it was also quite peculiar how these two fellows got along when all they did was argue at the time. 

 

A grey haired macho man who lived a life as a notable adventurer, he wore large iron bangles and had a green bandana tying his hair back, it was rumored back in his old days he wore a hand shield in one arm and a hand axe in the other, he was quick, nimble and a reliable fighter who would protect those important to him.

 

“The stress has gotten to you Ligerman, you are having reminiscent thoughts of the events of your youth again.”

 

Naira Narule, the first son of the Naira household and the village family head bloodline. Originally they were just a family of lords that had landed in this village a long time ago but after many successive generations and mingling with the people they have come to truly want the best for both the land and its kin.

 

“Narule, you are being rude again! You used to be such a good little kid taking after your father but the older you grow the more untamed you become. You’re just like your mother in her youth right now.”

 

If there was something that needed to be known then it was the fact that this unlikely duo were related by blood. Ligerman of the Adventurer’s guild and Narule being nephew and uncle.

 

“My mother took chances, sometimes they were good and sometimes they were bad. I can’t say that Naira was the best choice but here I am born to shoulder the responsibility and here you are with a place to call home after that ‘event’.”

 

That ‘event’ being a case that ended Ligerman’s career as an adventurer. It’s not to say that he has no fighting strength because that would be a false statement but with his age and his battle scars his rate of growth had truly ended this man’s career as a rising star.

 

“Things happen for a reason, you should know that more than anyone else.”

 

A moment’s silence unfolded between the two characters as one stood leaning against the wall in thought as the other decided to puff out some billowing smoke.

 

“What are your thoughts on the rumors?”

 

The question was posed and straight to the point. Narule looked deep into the Guild Manager’s eyes.

 

“The goblin activity in the wild has increased a fair amount, the scouts realised that there were a few slight manaflow deviances in the area surrounding the forest but nothing too great. We thought an uncommon monster or two may have spawned in the forest as it did many times before but this time the case seems different.”

 

Ligerman didn’t hold back his reply, the duo only spoke honest words and never beat around the bush when they were out of sight of others.

 

“Different? Different how? Don’t put me on suspense, I need to know!”

 

Ligerman looked back into the fierce youths eyes. He was a young man with a thin build, his skill was actually quite exceptional and his looks quite decent for someone around these parts. He had his hair tied back into a ponytail and the corners of his eyes were slightly slanted up.

 

“Firstly, there are signs that a new dungeon has spawned where the forest meets a corner of the mountainside. We had someone out and about in the area and they discovered it and released a sound transmission to the guild authorities. Those things aren’t cheap, but news of new dungeons can either be a boon to business or a disaster if not handled properly.”

 

A momentary pause to allow Narule to play with the situation unfolded.

 

“The scout did not feel any danger, which indicates the dungeon’s level is low. There were no monsters at the entrances which is strange, so the overall level can not be determined. There is a constant and vengeful mana signature that can be felt that is assumed to belong to the new dungeon master that was born. If I had to say, in normal times, this would be a boon.”

 

‘In normal times?’ Narule thought to himself.

 

“You’re right, so the second half of the rumors are true as well. That due to the increased goblin activity a new generation of hobgoblins or such have been born which are causing both the birth rates and development rates of their kind to increase am I right?”

 

“Goblin extermination requests are common, every couple of years we get an influx and issue a guild wide request and your thoughts are valid too Narule, however it’s different. The rate is too far fetched. The activity although it is not unhandleable, it is getting more tedious day by day. We think there might even be signs that a Goblin Lord might have been born.”

 

A Goblin lord, a creature that only spawns once in an unknown amount of time, a creature that can bring fear and terror to all beings around these parts. The conditions for the birth of such a monstrosity one could only imagine.

 

“Good heavens, old man you must be pulling my leg! You can’t be serious when you’re telling me that poor Naira Village have to deal with such a thing can you?”

 

“...”

 

“...”

 

Up until this point it was only bad news, even though a dungeon could help the surrounding area, the appearance of a dungeon at this time was not so helpful, it would distract the greedy from attending to the more dangerous situation present.

 

“What about the good news, I’m going to need some of that. At least I can tell my father so he can calm down.”

 

A few more smoke rings came out of the cedar pipe that Ligerman was puffing on.

 

“There are rumors that a warrior of light has appeared.”

 

“Whaaaatttt?!”

 

What a preposterous and absurd statement, who in their right mind would believe it.

 

“I know what you’re thinking Narule, I haven’t gone senile. I hardly believe it myself.”

 

“So you still believe it? What in the world is happening in this small run down little village?!”

“A couple of days ago an adventurer party returned with a merchant they were escorting. At the tavern they mentioned the events that had unfolded on their journey. Many were skeptic of course and made them out for fools. The party leader at the time was a warrior named Lieruz. His ability is not bad but he is not exceptional which does not say much for someone around these parts.”

 

“So you’re saying he’s a dime a dozen? What changed your opinion then?”

 

“The following day, Lieruz went to the adventurer guild and handed in proof of his mission along with a summary of events again. He handed the proof of slain bandits into the guild which was verified, one of them was a known bandit on our list. Although the bandit wasn’t exceptional he was still known.”

 

“There must be more! Tell me more!”

 

“Lieruz also told the receptionist Darly that he felt strange, something that he’s never felt before. We thought he might have just leveled up and hadn’t gotten accustomed this his abilities, so we had him tested. Well the results really spoke for themselves.”

 

“Results?”

 

What results could they be? Narule pondered. This whole course of events left him wanting to know more and more. This old man, Ligerman, wasn't one to note useless experiences.

 

“His growth rate had spiked at a substantiated rate. He has unlocked multiple abilities and has obtained a [Fated] State that can’t be assessed.”

 

“Enhanced growth? Accumulated abilities? [Fated] state? Good heavens are we part of a fairytale?”

 

“We could be? I still think it's all a dream. From rags to riches, Lieruz is now the talk of the town and although he is not exceptionally strong, he is a rising star that we have to look out for..”

 

“A dungeon, a goblin lord, a warrior of light and a ragtag of adventurers who have transformed. Could this all be linked together?”

 

“I do not know, but it is something we might need to factor into the equation for our future plans.”

 

“Then let’s send more adventurers to scout the surroundings. We need more information, and if we can get more information on this warrior of light then this could be a boon for us!”

 

0