A Slice of Home
67 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Leaving us so soon, Henry?"

"Yes, Caleb. It seems I caught the attention of several people quite up in the political hierarchy. I don't really want to leave, but I cannot focus on this task and working on the docks at the same time."

"It's quite a shame. You're a very good and efficient worker. I have quite high expectations of you. With your management of the warehouse area, we are able to increase capacity  almost a third."

"A Royal Commission, Caleb! A Royal Commission. Do you know what that means? He's talented enough that even the Queen took notice of his skills. He's going places!"

"And he will also be embroiled in high society life and politics. A life you left, Vincent."

"I left to prove myself capable standing on my own. He proved himself well enough to impress the highest echelons of society. There's a difference."

"Yet even now you don't want to talk about your family."

"Yes." Vincent sighs. "We are similar in this regard, Henry and I. We don't like our fathers much. Both are philandering bastards who value money above everything else. I work here because I want to prove that money can be earned with honest means."

"And I left because this is the only way I can regain my life back." I answered.

"And you are okay with this?"

"In truth? No. But I'll have to deal with it. What they offer me will allow me to achieve my goals."

"And this goals are?"

"I can't really tell you for now. It's all hush-hush, but the government's involved with it. Secrets and all you know."

I can't tell you guys yet. I still need to hold my secrets close to me. If the Others find out what I'm capable of, they'll try to capture or kill me immediately.

"Right. Bloody government secrets. You're going to be all right with this?"

"No. But I'll deal. For now."

"So this is goodbye then."

"I'm leaving the company, not the bloody country. I'll leave my address with you and Vincent."

"And Janice has your contact too?"

"What about...."

"We know that she is involved in this 'secret'."

"She didn't come here to find a job because she's a spy."

"No, not a spy. An informant. Don't worry, kid. She's not trying to obtain information about the company. She's trying to obtain information about other people who wants to try and infiltrate our company."

"I know. I'll kick her out myself if she's trying to undermine the company."

"Don't worry your little head about us. We'll be fine, my boy."

"Well this is it then, Henry. Good luck in your new endeavor."

"You guys take of yourselves, too."

"We will. Now off with you. We've got a lot of work to do."

==================================================

"Kensington Palace? Shouldn't you be staying at Marlborough House? I would say Sandringham Palace, but that's a bit far away for a daily commute."

"Hmph! Why would I stay there? Alexandra doesn't like me. A reminder of his husband's unfaithfulness, she says."

"You're already 15, right? Then you were 3 years before they even got married. that's just stupid."

"You're quite well informed for someone who's not a member of the Royal Family or nobility."

"I have my sources. Even if I say what my sources are, you won't believe me."

"Really? With the threat of otherworldly forces invading the world, nothing is quite impossible now."

"Sorry girl. But I don't think you'll believe it. I even don't believe it myself."

"Keep your secrets then. I'm not even interested." Oh girl, you ARE very interested. I can almost smell it from you.

"Anyway.... Won't the other residents be okay with me here?"

"It's fine. You'll be staying there."

That's... new. There is a building just a few meters from the Orangery.

A traditional Japanese house.

Last time I saw a house like that, I was 17 and wheelchair-bound. I was saying farewell to my Sensei as I can no longer continue training with him. At the point, I can no longer exert enough strength to lift my body, let alone spar.

"That is where you'll be staying."

"Huh... I didn't know there is a Minka here."

"Grandma built it for me. Every thing is from Nippon, from the wood frames to the tatami mats."

We approached the the house. Or I should say, a manor.

Shoji doors leading to genkan, a entrance hall where people remove footwear before entering the main abobe. Tatami mats cover every square inch of the interior floor, matching the wooden walls painted white. Fusuma sliding doors serves as divider walls on the interior.

"You'll be staying at the servant wing. You're also granted use of the shed outside at the back as your workshop." One of Masako's servants spoke to me.

"The grounds at the back serves as training grounds for Lady Masako and her retainers. This is also where you will conduct your training with Lady Masako."

"Okay. Anything else should I know?"

"Meals will be served at 6AM for breakfast, 11AM for an early lunch, and 7PM for dinner. Snacks will also be provided at 3PM. Be punctual at meals or you will miss it. Unless you accompany Lady Masako at her meals."

"If you are in need in anything, please inform me. I am  Mitokaya Asaru, Lady Masako's household manager."

"Is Mitokaya you family name or given name?"

"It is my clan name."

"You prefer being called Mitokaya-san or Asaru-san."

"Anything is fine."

"Then I'll be in your care then." I bow to him.

"You never bow to me, but you bow to to my servant?"

"Your servant is much more respectful of others than you. Respect is given, not earned or demanded."

"You... ARGH!" She stomps her foot. What kind manners did they teach you, 'My Lady'?

"Case in point. You're too childish and impetuous. If you don't get what you want, you just throw a tantrum like a little kid."

"I am not a little kid!"

"Then act like one. First lesson... know yourself. Second lesson... master yourself. Third lesson... learn how to act around others."

"If you can make these three lessons as part of yourself, you'll go a very long way in life."

"Wise words, Thompson-san."

Ah, Sakamoto Tojiro-san. Just in time.

"Masako, this is why I refrain from teaching you beyond basics. You lack focus and control. You always want to do things your way. And if you don't get what you want, you act like a child whose candy has been stolen."

"Grow up, Masako. Your mother wouldn't want to see you like this."

"SHE LEFT ME! SHE ABANDONED ME WHEN IT WAS CONVENIENT AND LEFT ME HERE! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT SHE WANTS!"

And she stormed off.

"Lady Masako!" Asaru-san run off to her, the girl's entourage following.

"There's a story to be heard there, isn't it?"

"It's not my position to say anything about it."

"So I have to coax it out of her?"

"Or from her father and grandmother. Or from her aunts and uncles."

Now I have with girl with mommy issues and very unhelpful people.

"Bugger."

==================================================

"You good now?"

She stayed silent.

"I see then. A child who could never accept the truth and move on. You let your issues with your mother rule your life."

"What do you know about being abandoned?"

"My father was never there for me. For all the riches that he possess, he's not a very good father. Or even a father at all. I' only meet him once or twice a year. And on those times, he only does it because he wants something from me or my mother."

"Sensei Ishimura is the closest thing I have to a father. The only person who taught me how to be a man. The only person who ever cared for my health, other than my mother."

"And Father forbid him to visit me at my sick bed, especially when my condition grew worse."

"My mother... my mother died five years ago. I have no living relatives left on my mother's side. I have no more contact with any of my friends. And I'd rather gut my father and his side of the family than meet with them."

"So no, you don't get to bitch at me that your life is miserable. At least you still have a family and people who still cares for you . Me, until I came here to Londinium, I have nothing. No friends or acquaintances. Not even a single penny on my pocket."

"You... you have family. You have loyal people serving you. You have a grandmother that cares for you very much."

"Stand up. Prove yourself that you ARE better than your mother. Rub it in her face, if you want. You're never miserable. It's all inside your head."

"The best revenge you can have right now is to leave a fruitful life. Prove that you don't need her in your life. Let your hate go. If you hold on to it, then that means you care for too much for her than you want to admit."

"Fine. I'll prove myself better than that miserable hag of a woman. I'll prove that I can be happy without her in my life."

'Now that's the spirit! Come! I'll show you the beginner katas you have to practice. I may not be a master of Ishimura style of kenjutsu, I know enough to teach a complete newbie."

"I'm not a newbie. I'll show you!"

==================================================

"And that's 24 to me, a big fat zero to you."

"Hah... Hah... one more... I can... do it!"

"Nope.' And I nudged her down with my Crescent Bokuto, an evolution of my old Walking Stick.

Crescent Bokuto(Fine)

A wooden replica of a katana, made from cherrybark oak. Excellent balance and toughness. Has the Ishimura clan symbol etched on the handle.

+30% Damage

+30% Durability

+15% Intimidation Factor

+15% Chance to deal 5 Shock Damage per second for 3 seconds on hit

Crescent Slash: Swing the weapon to unleash a shockwave that cuts anything on its path. Base magic damage. Has 3 charges. Used charges are replenished at midnight.

Hidden Blade: Projects a sharp edge and point on the bokuto. Changes damage type to 'Cutting/Piercing'. At-will use activation.

It turns out you can influence the evolution of an item when increasing the Item Quality. From a simple walking stick to a really good wooden sword. I was surprised but pleased with that development.

"See, just a nudge and you can't get up already. You'll need physical fitness training."

"Bring it on! I can handle anything."

"If you only know what I'm gonna make you go through. You will curse my name to the end of time."

"You will know the true meaning of hell. And you will prefer it than be subjected to my training."

"Henry-san, you might...." Asaru-san tried to interrupt.

"She wants to learn? She will learn, even if it kills her."

==================================================

"Good morning, my reluctant student."

"It's half-past 5 in the morning. Why do we have to wake up in this ungodly hour?"

"Training."

"What kind of training. Footwork? Katas? Sparring?"

"Endurance."

"Eh?"

==================================================

"Please... kill... me... now...." Wow, this girl endurance is shit. Just a kilometer on a steady run and she's already out of it.

"Be grateful I made you run instead of sprint."

"Bastard...."

"I'm not a bastard. I'm a sadist. Learn the difference."

"You'll be begging for mercy while you're doing this training. But you enemies will beg for mercy once the effects of this training kicks in. That will take a week or so."

"Then we'll do Hell Week after that."

"Hell Week? This is not the worst you have?"

"Nope."

"Monster!"

"Better the monster you know and all that rot. You're slacking off. Get moving!"

==================================================

"Aren't you a bit harsh on her?"

"My training was harsher than hers. And she wants to learn how to fight monster. For that, she needs to learn FAST. This training will help her with that."

"But she's just starting her training."

"Best time to start then! This training is suitable for your people, especially from age 9 to 18 years. You might think it's torture, but it a specialized training regimen that takes advantage of a youth's resilience and flexibility. Not only that, fighting monster takes a tool on the body. Increasing the body resilience and endurance will increase the chance of her surviving."

"If you are sure about this, then I have no objections. But you will have to explain this training regimen of yours to her family."

"If it comes to that, then I will do so gladly."

==================================================

Do you hear me, child?

Myrrdin! You're back. How's it going?

Not well. But I will survive.

Is there anything I can do to help?

I have been able to obtain vital information from our foes.

Tell me. I will seek Camelot's help.

I found out that there IS a way to create a two-way transport from here to there. I only need one thing. But it's quite hard  to obtain access of this item. But lucky for us, there's one already being transported to your layer of the world.

What item is it then.

A Dimensional Fragment. Among other useful purposes, the main use of this item is to create a stable passage from 2 different locations. The Orkutz plan to use this to bring forth more of their kind to this world. But we can take it for ourselves and use this for our own.

That is great. Do you know where is it.

The only thing I know is that it's on your layer of the world right now. You must find it and obtain it. keep it to yourself or give it to Camelot. But you must get it before the Orkutz can use it.

It will turn badly if we let them continue with their plans.

I also found out a plot to destroy one of the barrier nodes.

What faction? And where?

Aragul. The Tower of London.

You know the date and time.

It will be within a month from today. Their plans were not finalized when I was able to glimpse it.

Are you about this?

Yes. I cannot be certain of the exact date and time of their attack. If they become difficult, tell them this: Ravens Abound.

This is some cryptic code words again, isn't it?

But they're necessary. This is the reason why Camelot survived in its recent incarnation. We must keep our secrets, lest we be exposed to them. And meet them in person. Don't risk sending a written message

Alright then. I'll do that.

Good. Now, I must rest once again. This is taking toll on me.

Be safe then.

But there was no reply.

What to do? What. To. Do.

I'll need to make more preparations.

1