65. Abroad
581 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a belly full of omelet, coffee, and water, Dani settled into the passenger’s seat and tried feeling content. She had just eaten a nice breakfast, received more news that her brothers still wanted to be in her life, and now knew that Ryan at the very least hadn’t vanished from Earth. She tried to focus on the constant, shaky vibrations of tires against the road as they drove towards the edge of town.

Simon was quiet at the wheel. Their conversation at the diner was nice. It reminded her of how they used to talk to each other, before everything got weird. She hoped it was a sign of more to come, and worried that their current quest to go hunt down Ryan would hurt those chances.

Ryan probably won’t even be happy to see us. He disappeared for a reason. Maybe he–

Dani jumped up in her seat. “Let’s turn around. This is a bad idea.” She gripped the handle above the door without realizing.

“What?” Simon glanced over with concern, though didn’t slow down. “What are you talking about?”

“He’s staying at this motel because he doesn’t want us around.” Dani grabbed the handle with her other hand and leaned against the window. “What if he has his reasons? What if we make him upset? What if he’s with a girl?”

Simon shook his head. “No, that wouldn’t be it. Ryan isn’t like that. He can be a little eager when it comes to women, but he’s never even joked about cheating before.”

“Really?” Dani sighed and released her iron grip on the assist handle.

“Yeah.” Simon cleared his throat and checked behind him. “Besides, if he was going to do something like that, he wouldn’t have done all this and made us worry about him. A cheater would come up with a lie, right?”

“I guess. Yeah, fine.”

The car slowed to a halt as they approached a stop sign. Dani had only been to this part of the city twice, but based on Rachel’s directions, she knew they were almost there.

“Still want me to turn around?” Simon gestured to the turn signal. Nobody was behind them, and he seemed willing to wait as long as he needed to get an answer.

Dani folded her arms in her lap. “No. Let’s keep going.”

The car lurched forward as they resumed. Dani focused on the overgrown sidewalk they drove next to, grass covering the edges and bursting up through the cracks. The last time she had been there, she was still in high school. The sidewalks were much neater back then.

“Hey,” Simon said, his voice more lighthearted this time around. “If you could visit anywhere in the world, any other country, where would you pick?”

The question threw Dani off. Simon was never one to talk like that, typically staying quiet and getting to know people through osmosis rather than any active measures.

I guess he’s trying to distract me? May as well play along.

“Hmm.” Dani pressed a finger against her cheek as she thought. “Japan. Or, wait, is that too nerdy of a response?” Despite knowing Simon was always the last to judge her, she felt embarrassed. “What about Spain or something? Is that better?”

Simon grinned. “It wasn’t a test, I was genuinely asking. Japan is a fine answer if you meant it, which I know you did.”

“Where would you go?” Dani turned the question back on him. “Is there some place you’re dying to see?”

They were both forced to lean to the left as the car turned right. Dani could tell they were no more than ten minutes from Ryan’s supposed getaway.

“There’s a lot of places I’d be interested in seeing, at least once.” Simon flipped down the ceiling visor to block the sunlight that was now in his face. “I was actually doing some research last night, to distract myself from all this. There’s programs to teach abroad, like China or Costa Rica, tons of countries, really. And my degree and teaching experience would help me a lot.”

“Oh.” Dani swallowed air. “Is that something you plan on doing?”

“I don’t know,” Simon said. “It’s a lot of certifications and stuff, and I’d be basically alone, no friends or family. Who knows how it would go.”

Dani noticed his frown.

“Well, is it something you want to do?”

After a pause long enough for Dani to wonder if she was heard, Simon sighed.

“Yeah, it is. Even if it’s only a year or two and I decide it isn’t for me, I think it’d be good for me. To be honest, I might try and get certified after the new year.”

“Wow, that’s pretty soon.” Dani tried to hide the growing worry in her voice.

Will he really just leave? Simon’s always been here, what the hell is life gonna be like if he’s gone? And while Ryan’s missing! What is he thinking? Doesn’t he know what that would do to me?

She caught herself sniffling, and tried to throw in a fake cough to play it off as allergies. Simon didn’t seem to notice, either too focused on driving or ignoring it for her sake.

No, I can’t pretend like it’s his fault. Ryan’s the one who left without a word. At least Simon is giving me a warning. And maybe it would be good for him, maybe he’s right. He’s been supportive of me, I should try and return the favor, even if I hate it.

“Hey.” Dani turned to face him as best she could, the seat belt digging into her neck. “If you do go, I want you to know I’m not mad about anything that’s happened between us, okay? Even if you’re somewhere else, please always think of me as your best friend.”

The car slowed as Simon looked over and noticed the tears streaming down Dani’s cheeks. She could feel them pooling up under her eyes and already reaching down to her chin.

“Dani!” Simon returned his gaze to the road, but his shoulders were angled toward her. “Listen, it wouldn’t be for a while, okay?” He nervously laughed but it was clear he was concerned. “By the time I take the classes needed and find an actual job it will be, like, almost a year from now I’m sure. You’ll have time to say your goodbyes, I promise.”

Dani giggled and wiped the tears to the sides of her face. “Yeah, sorry. You’re right. Still, I just–”

“And you’re not my best friend anymore.” Simon now had his own tears spilling out of his eyelids. “You’re practically my little sister.”

“I’m a few months older than you,” Dani said, a new batch of tears welling up for her to deal with.

Simon laughed. “Yeah, but you’re smaller than me, and way more naive.”

“Oh God, more naive than Simon.” Dani snorted out a laugh. “They guy who accidentally almost joined a threesome, I’m more naive than him? Is there any hope for me?”

“Alright, too soon, come on.” Simon smiled, subtly shaking his head.

Dani leaned back in her seat and relaxed. “Imagine if Ryan sees us like this, crying our eyes out while we’re in the middle of stalking him. Maybe he was right to avoid us.”

“Yeah, if I saw us yelling through my door in the morning I’d probably try and run away too.”

Dani ran her fingers through her hair, smiling with genuine warmth she hadn’t felt since Ryan’s disappearance.

Things aren’t so bad. I’ll be alright.

She pictured Ryan, alone in a motel. There were a hundred ideas and yet zero ideas as to what he could be doing. Nothing made sense if she thought about it for more than a few seconds.

I just hope he’s alright too.

28